Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Further reading

Hi Ilana, could BN provide a reading list (as it used to be) books that are somehow connected to this theme, time etc.

thanks
ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Further reading

[ Edited ]
No help's forthcoming from BN :-(

Search ideas from Norton:

# Literary Impressionism
# Julia van Gunsteren, [The Aesthetics of Literary Impressionism]
# Ian Watt, [Impressionism and Symbolism in Ford, Conrad, and Crane]
# John A. Meixner, [Ford’s Literary Technique]
# Joseph Conrad, Preface to The **bleep** of the "Narcissus" (1897)
# Henry James, [The House of Fiction]
# Ford Madox Hueffer [Ford], On Impressionism
- First Article
- Second Article
# Ford Madox Ford, [Developing the Theory of Impressionism with Conrad]
- Techniques

matz

Message Edited by ziki on 02-13-200705:45 PM

BN Editor
LitEditor
0 Kudos

Ziki -- I didn't realize this hadn't been posted: see here.

See the latest news about book clubs in the Book Clubs Blog.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks.
z.
Frequent Contributor
cosmotrotter
0 Kudos

Ziki

Completely different literary era, but you may want to check out the Alexandria Quartet by Lawrence Durrell, who uses similar techniques of restarting narrative from the vantage point of secondary characters (calling it, I believe, veritiginious

Also, Anthony Powell's Dance to the Music of Time, while very long, a) deploys a similar ironically detached narrator-observer reporting on his own life, b) contains much dark and light humor on class, continentals, etc., and c) after much description with little insight, ultimately offers very little into the psychology of men wanting women. In short, Powell's narrator (Jenkins?) seems to take up FMF's Dowell's torch in some ways. Being British, however, he never falls prey to Dowell's American self-delusions of sentiment. Comments, Choisya? :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi Cosmo,
very sweet of you, thanks. This goes into my modernist file. He called England the Pudding Island...now, I like that.

He looks sexy here:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780571172481&itm=2

ziki :-)

Message Edited by ziki on 02-21-200709:44 PM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

LOL Cosmotrotter. I think there is also a bit of England-my-England about Durrell, the expatriate on Corfu. Anthony Powell is perhaps a better example. Perhaps most expatriates eventually idolise their native lands?

cosmotrotter wrote:
Ziki

Completely different literary era, but you may want to check out the Alexandria Quartet by Lawrence Durrell, who uses similar techniques of restarting narrative from the vantage point of secondary characters (calling it, I believe, veritiginious

Also, Anthony Powell's Dance to the Music of Time, while very long, a) deploys a similar ironically detached narrator-observer reporting on his own life, b) contains much dark and light humor on class, continentals, etc., and c) after much description with little insight, ultimately offers very little into the psychology of men wanting women. In short, Powell's narrator (Jenkins?) seems to take up FMF's Dowell's torch in some ways. Being British, however, he never falls prey to Dowell's American self-delusions of sentiment. Comments, Choisya? :smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
cosmotrotter
0 Kudos

You may be right - or should I say 'quite right' :smileywink: , Choisya.
As a frequent and current expat who feigns to detest the dominant culture current in his native land, I also find that I am usually well-placed within my ingrained culture - even where I would have thought myself more cosmopolitan. Reading what seem to be fatuous textbooks on Intercultural Communication in the Business World sometimes teaches more than initially meets the eye. The more I experience, the more ignorant I learn myself to be! Or something of the sort. But you were speaking of artists, and I have reduced the discussion to nostalgia.

Choisya wrote:
LOL Cosmotrotter. I think there is also a bit of England-my-England about Durrell, the expatriate on Corfu. Anthony Powell is perhaps a better example. Perhaps most expatriates eventually idolise their native lands?

cosmotrotter wrote:
Ziki

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

'Quaite raite' Cosmotrotter:smileyhappy: Maybe you are still too young to idolise your native land:smileyhappy:

cosmotrotter wrote:
You may be right - or should I say 'quite right' :smileywink: , Choisya.
As a frequent and current expat who feigns to detest the dominant culture current in his native land, I also find that I am usually well-placed within my ingrained culture - even where I would have thought myself more cosmopolitan. Reading what seem to be fatuous textbooks on Intercultural Communication in the Business World sometimes teaches more than initially meets the eye. The more I experience, the more ignorant I learn myself to be! Or something of the sort. But you were speaking of artists, and I have reduced the discussion to nostalgia.

Choisya wrote:

cosmotrotter wrote:
Ziki

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

expats

Choisya wrote: Perhaps most expatriates eventually idolise their native lands?

I think there might be stages...you leave a country and think you end up some place better (make an idol of it). Then according to the law 'grass is green everywhere' you discover the new caontry has it faults, too, and so you idolize the old one....and perhaps eeven go back just to discover it is not so pink, which you knew anyhow....

...to sum it up: one can't run away (unless there are political reasons and torture and stuff like that so the person comes to better conditions in that respect).

ziki
Users Online
Currently online: 55 members 722 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: