Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: moving between book clubs

Earl Grey please, not just tea:smileyvery-happy: And sherry only after the sun has gone down over the yard-arm:smileyhappy:

ziki wrote:

Choisya wrote: (It is good to see my old shipmates Ziki & ELee on board. I hope they have left their harpoons behind and only brought the rum:smileyhappy:

Hehe, so much for Moby Dick.....I'll continue whaling for some time but here I suppose we'll be moving into some more sophisticated saloons....perhaps we are back to sherry and oh, that Tea! again. :-)

Greetings to all happy readers here!

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-29-200702:18 AM

Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

Re: The Good Soldier

Choisya wrote:
Great to see you here Danielle:smileyhappy: How is the weather in Paris now - folks were sitting out in the London street cafes having coffee yesterday - in January!!!

chadadanielleKR wrote:

ELee wrote:
Thank you B&N for making this book a February selection for discussion, otherwise I might have overlooked it. I am almost finished, and this is one impressive read!!

So I am. I agree with your first impression. When you look at it, the book looks small and unpretentious, but then...when you start reading it...Excellent B&N selection!

The weather is not as warm in Paris as it is in London but I was able to put my geranium back on the balcony. They won't freeze at night anymore. The temperature is between 5 to 8°C and rather cloudy. But since the days are getting longer the children can go and play again the park after school (4:30PM)while the mothers chat together!
Frequent Contributor
ELee
0 Kudos

Suggestion to readers

I know from reading the boards that many participants keep reading journals. I would like to suggest that readers of "The Good Soldier" write down a couple of lines briefly summarizing each chapter's events as they progress through the book. (I sometimes keep a few index cards or large post-its in between the front and back covers.) This is something I wish I had done the first time around, and will do as I reread...just a suggestion I thought might be helpful.
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestion to readers

ELee wrote:
I know from reading the boards that many participants keep reading journals. I would like to suggest that readers of "The Good Soldier" write down a couple of lines briefly summarizing each chapter's events as they progress through the book. (I sometimes keep a few index cards or large post-its in between the front and back covers.) This is something I wish I had done the first time around, and will do as I reread...just a suggestion I thought might be helpful.

wow--that's a great suggestion. I would love it if people did something like this. The narrator in this book flashes forward and back through time, in a dizzying way, and we'll all need each other's assistance in sorting out the plot.

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Frequent Contributor
prince_alfie
0 Kudos

Re: Join us in February (Read this first)

I read this book for Professor Vereen Bell's class the English Novel back at Vanderbilt. It was an awesome book and the use of the unreliable narrator foreshadows much of Joyce's Ulysses, Beckett's The Trilogy, and even Faulkner's middle works.
Reader 2
reivers
0 Kudos

This book is a great choice. I read it in the early 70s for my Brit Lit class, and I'm looking forward to reading it again. I'm intrigued how this book influenced the cubists. Looking forward to joining the discussion.

I read several books for the old B&N discussions, and I'm hoping I catch on to this new format.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Greetings

Hi to all!

I bought this book several years ago, having heard great things about it. I am so glad to move it to the top of my to be read pile! I haven't read a classic book with B&N in this new format, but have participated in several other contemporary book discussions here. ELee, thanks for the suggestion on keeping notes on the plot. I will do that. Who knew a relatively short book would be so complicated?

P.S. Prince_alfie, I am a Econ undergrad from Vanderbilt!

P.P.S. My old screen name was LauraD. You can read more about me in my profile.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Frequent Contributor
ELee
0 Kudos

Re: Greetings

Hi Laura:

Thanks for joining the group! I am so excited about this book; it was like stumbling across a rare "find" at a flea market or garage sale - worth the trip! I am really hoping that the discussion takes off as in "olden days"...can't believe I have to wait another week!
Frequent Contributor
PaulK
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestion to readers

ELee wrote:

I always wanted to do this but always felt rushed. I tried it today on a couple of books and feel that I may be getting more out of my reading. Thanks for bringing it up.
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

You didn't even have to cross the Mississippi to shiver! We're down to around zero in Iowa and the mercury keeps dropping (thank goodness for fireplaces and hot cups of tea!)

Everyman wrote:

Choisya wrote:
Great to see you here Danielle:smileyhappy: How is the weather in Paris now - folks were sitting out in the London street cafes having coffee yesterday - in January!!

And I was out lying in my hammock yesterday reading Brothers Karamazov, being at right about the same northern latitude as London but about 6,000 miles west. Meanwhile, inbetween us, the East Coast of the US was shivering.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

I hate you both. I can't even remember what it feel like to be warm. Please send me money to pay my fuel bill. I've spent all of mine on books.

Denise
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

I'm Denise and I'm currently trying to keep warm in Colorado. I haven't read this book yet but I'm looking forward to it.

Denise
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

donyskiw wrote:
I can't even remember what it feel like to be warm. Please send me money to pay my fuel bill. I've spent all of mine on books.

Denise

You and Erasmus. "If I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes."
0 Kudos

For Denise: Erasmus

Denise, I found this:

Ad Graecas literas totum animum applicui; statimque, ut pecuniam accpero, Graecus primum autores, deinde vestes emam.

I have turned my entire attention to Greek. The first thing I shall do, as soon as the money arrives, is to buy some Greek authors; after that, I shall buy clothes.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Desiderius_Erasmus
I wonder how "food" got in!

Everyman wrote:
You and Erasmus. "If I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes."

donyskiw wrote:
I can't even remember what it feel like to be warm. Please send me money to pay my fuel bill. I've spent all of mine on books.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: For Denise: Erasmus

Perhaps it was from a different source. It's the sort of epigrammatic comment that someone might make in different forms at different times writing to different friends or in different settings.

Or, that may in fact be the passage that the translation comes from, and the translator may have taken some liberties.

I confess that I let my Latin get rusty a few decades ago, so it is not strong enough any longer for me to search out the original. I depend on the translations of others, rather than my own, these days. Nor do I have a complete Erasmus on my shelves, but only a selection of his works, so the original may not be in my library in any case.

pmath wrote:
Denise, I found this:

Ad Graecas literas totum animum applicui; statimque, ut pecuniam accpero, Graecus primum autores, deinde vestes emam.

I have turned my entire attention to Greek. The first thing I shall do, as soon as the money arrives, is to buy some Greek authors; after that, I shall buy clothes.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Desiderius_Erasmus
I wonder how "food" got in!

Everyman wrote:

donyskiw wrote:

0 Kudos

I would love to join in the discussion of "The Good Soldier"... a quite interesting choice. I am now searching for my old copy so I can add to a lively discussion. May I, Ilana? jotheodorou@yahoo.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Welcome, Belinda.

You don't need permission to join any discussion you want to on BNBC. Just check out the start date for the discussion (February 5th for TGS), and start posting!

Belina wrote:
I would love to join in the discussion of "The Good Soldier"... a quite interesting choice. I am now searching for my old copy so I can add to a lively discussion. May I, Ilana? jotheodorou@yahoo.com

0 Kudos

Belina wrote:

As Everyman said, You're welcome here!
I look forward to your posts about this book
Ilana

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

Oh, I actually keep food up there on the priority list with books! It's just that this blasted cold is making the local fuel company elbow its way to the top of my budget.

Denise
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

donyskiw wrote:
Oh, I actually keep food up there on the priority list with books! It's just that this blasted cold is making the local fuel company elbow its way to the top of my budget.

Denise

Just imagine you're a starving reader, rather than a starving artist, freezing in a garret. Why should the artists get all the glory of freezing for their art? Demand your fair share! :smileyhappy:
Please welcome our newest community members: