Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Join us in February (Read this first)

[ Edited ]
Hi everyone.

I’m glad to welcome you to our February discussion of Ford Madox Ford’s The Good Soldier. This book, published in 1915, has been called “the finest French novel in the English language.” This is a novel rich in language and focused on psychology. It’s conscious of itself as a literary thing—a creation of human imagination.

This novel takes us on a trip through romance and betrayal, asking just how much we know the people around us. It’s a keystone of Modernism, influencing artists from Samuel Beckett to Jean Rhys to some cubist painters. It asks how reliable perspectives are—and how we can come to trust anyone.

I look forward to jumping into this novel with you soon.

The discussion begins right here, starting February 5th, so there's still time to get your book and start reading. In the meantime, feel free to introduce yourself, and give your early thoughts. But remember ... we'll start our formal discussion on February 5th.

Message Edited by LitEditor on 01-27-2007 09:32 AM

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Frequent Contributor
ELee
0 Kudos

The Good Soldier

Thank you B&N for making this book a February selection for discussion, otherwise I might have overlooked it. I am almost finished, and this is one impressive read!!
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: The Good Soldier

ELee wrote:
Thank you B&N for making this book a February selection for discussion, otherwise I might have overlooked it. I am almost finished, and this is one impressive read!!

Great. I'll be posting some discussion questions soon--and really look forward to your input, ELee.
Ilana

Ilana

Contributor
SumayyaA
0 Kudos

Re: Join us in February (Read this first)

I just registered in the B&N book club and will be joining this discussion as my first. I have recently begun reading and re-reading classics. The Good Soldier is one I have not yet read and am really looking forward to reading and discussing it. Thanks!
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Great. I look forward to your input, SumayyaA.
Thanks for joining us.
Ilana

SumayyaA wrote:
I just registered in the B&N book club and will be joining this discussion as my first. I have recently begun reading and re-reading classics. The Good Soldier is one I have not yet read and am really looking forward to reading and discussing it. Thanks!

Ilana

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Introduction

[ Edited ]
Hi,
I am not always a big friend of reading ahead, it's also fun to 'read the book along' during the month of the discussion.... so that is what I'll be doing.
I didn't read this book before and your introduction sounds interesting.

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-27-200708:39 PM

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: Introduction

ziki wrote:
Hi,
I am not always a big friend of reading ahead, it's also fun to 'read the book along' during the month of the discussion.... so that is what I'll be doing.
I didn't read this book before and your introduction sounds interesting.

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-27-200708:39 PM

Great, Ziki. We'll all pick it up in Feb. I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Ilana

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Thanks for the intro Ilana - I am very much looking forward to this reading under your able guidance as I am completely unfamiliar with this book. I am, however, reading it online because I cannot afford to buy any more books this month, having already purchased 4 for other clubs. So if there are any useful Notes in the edition(s) that folks have here, I would be grateful if you could either email them to me or post them here. Thanks. (It is good to see my old shipmates Ziki & ELee on board. I hope they have left their harpoons behind and only brought the rum:smileyhappy:)

BTW Ilana - are you going to put up Community Room and Introduction threads - your introduction to the book may get lost if we introduce ourselves here?

Message Edited by Choisya on 01-28-200706:14 AM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hi SumayyaA - and welcome! It is good to see a new face and I am sure you will enjoy this discussion with our great Moderator Ilana and the other contributors.
I am a 74 year old widow from Over the Pond by the way, living alone with two cats:smileyhappy:

SumayyaA wrote:

Message Edited by Choisya on 01-28-200701:59 PM

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
Thanks for the intro Ilana - I am very much looking forward to this reading under your able guidance as I am completely unfamiliar with this book. I am, however, reading it online because I cannot afford to buy any more books this month, having already purchased 4 for other clubs. So if there are any useful Notes in the edition(s) that folks have here, I would be grateful if you could either email them to me or post them here. Thanks. (It is good to see my old shipmates Ziki & ELee on board. I hope they have left their harpoons behind and only brought the rum:smileyhappy:)

BTW Ilana - are you going to put up Community Room and Introduction threads - your introduction to the book may get lost if we introduce ourselves here?

Message Edited by Choisya on 01-28-200706:14 AM

Soon I'll post all the threads, including questions for the book.
Stay tuned.

Ilana

Reader
Tamarachnoid
0 Kudos

I purchased the B&N version of the book shortly after becoming a member of B&N Book Clubs last week. I was assigned to read The Good Soldier in college, but really only skimmed it. Consequently, my memory of it is very sketchy. I look forward to a closer reading with a moderator and other interested readers this time. Looking forward to reading and being a part of the group.
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Tamarachnoid wrote:
I purchased the B&N version of the book shortly after becoming a member of B&N Book Clubs last week. I was assigned to read The Good Soldier in college, but really only skimmed it. Consequently, my memory of it is very sketchy. I look forward to a closer reading with a moderator and other interested readers this time. Looking forward to reading and being a part of the group.

Great, Tamarachnoid.
I look forward to hearing from you in the club
Ilana

Ilana

Contributor
Areopagitica
0 Kudos

When I saw that the Barnes & Noble Book Club was offering a discussion on Ford's masterpiece, The Good Soldier, I decided to sign up right away. I read the book for the first time a few years ago, and am quite looking forward to immersing myself in the classic novel again this week in preparation for the upcoming book club discussion. Cheers!
jd
Frequent Contributor
jd
0 Kudos

good morning, I am looking forward to our discussions and interactions, jd
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

jd wrote:
good morning, I am looking forward to our discussions and interactions, jd

Welcome, JD.
We look forward to hearing your ideas about this book
Ilana

Ilana

Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

ELee wrote:

So I am. I agree with your first impression. When you look at it, the book looks small and unpretentious, but then...when you start reading it...Excellent B&N selection!
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Great to see you here Danielle:smileyhappy: How is the weather in Paris now - folks were sitting out in the London street cafes having coffee yesterday - in January!!!

chadadanielleKR wrote:

ELee wrote:

So I am. I agree with your first impression. When you look at it, the book looks small and unpretentious, but then...when you start reading it...Excellent B&N selection!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
Great to see you here Danielle:smileyhappy: How is the weather in Paris now - folks were sitting out in the London street cafes having coffee yesterday - in January!!

And I was out lying in my hammock yesterday reading Brothers Karamazov, being at right about the same northern latitude as London but about 6,000 miles west. Meanwhile, inbetween us, the East Coast of the US was shivering.
0 Kudos

moving between book clubs

[ Edited ]

Choisya wrote: (It is good to see my old shipmates Ziki & ELee on board. I hope they have left their harpoons behind and only brought the rum:smileyhappy:

Hehe, so much for Moby Dick.....I'll continue whaling for some time but here I suppose we'll be moving into some more sophisticated saloons....perhaps we are back to sherry and oh, that Tea! again. :-)

Greetings to all happy readers here!

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 01-29-200702:18 AM

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: moving between book clubs

ziki wrote:
....perhaps we are back to sherry and oh, that Tea! again. :-)

China, or India?
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: