Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: tech problems

[ Edited ]

 


KathyS wrote:

This is all very funny!  I haven't had any problems with any of this stuff.....I thought I was on B&N night and day, but maybe this stuff is showing up when I'm NOT on....My screen hasn't changed...it's just the font size that bothers me.  I haven't tried to link anything, or post a picture of anything, or cut and paste.  Yeah, I get the HTML malformations, but that's nothing new....I've always had those problems, and it's a big pain to try and figure out WHY it happens. 

 

It's all aggravation, and I know this is going to take another month to get these glitches all sorted out.  I love the word, glitches...it makes everything that goes wrong, sound so cliche.....I must be on a word kick this week...with newfangled computer programs going wonky, what do we expect?  I think TiggerBear has had the most problems...

 

Hey, TiggerBear....who builds her own computers.....Maybe you should try and find the manual VTC lost on her Mothership, as she took off for outter space! 

I'm teasing you....I know the frustration....I commiserate in your pain.


 

(chuckle) Believe me I read the manuals, I'm not a guy who tries to not use the instruction while building. Huh in our house something new; hubby throw the manual my way for me to read while he (shakes head) tries to build with just his instincts. Sooner or later he get frustrated and asks "so where does this dohikey go baby?". For some men reason he only reads manuals after the facts. Men!

 

 

So as to the mother ship, even though the manual only came in Korean I downloaded a english version and understand the controls. Problem is I'm not steering the blasted ship. Someone left gremlins into the control room and they think it funny to steer in circles constantly.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re:tech problems

[ Edited ]

 


becke_davis wrote:

Um, mine look the same. Do you know what browser you are using? I am using Google Chrome, but sometimes I have to switch to Mozilla Firefox when weird things happen in Chrome. And I've heard a lot of people have strange things happen here when they are using Safari. Again, hopefully these issues will all be addressed soon.


 

 

Using firefox and the newest version to boot.

 

Chrome is so-so always. We tried it out, not up to standard. Though give them 5 years and it might be amazing.

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: tech problems

I like Chrome because it is super fast, but yes, there are some problems with it.

 

Just so you all know, I moved a few of these comments from another thread in an attempt to organize things. I went into these posts and re-edited the subject so it reflects our discussion.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: tech problems


TiggerBear wrote:

 


KathyS wrote:

This is all very funny!  I haven't had any problems with any of this stuff.....I thought I was on B&N night and day, but maybe this stuff is showing up when I'm NOT on....My screen hasn't changed...it's just the font size that bothers me.  I haven't tried to link anything, or post a picture of anything, or cut and paste.  Yeah, I get the HTML malformations, but that's nothing new....I've always had those problems, and it's a big pain to try and figure out WHY it happens. 

 

It's all aggravation, and I know this is going to take another month to get these glitches all sorted out.  I love the word, glitches...it makes everything that goes wrong, sound so cliche.....I must be on a word kick this week...with newfangled computer programs going wonky, what do we expect?  I think TiggerBear has had the most problems...

 

Hey, TiggerBear....who builds her own computers.....Maybe you should try and find the manual VTC lost on her Mothership, as she took off for outer space! 

I'm teasing you....I know the frustration....I commiserate in your pain.


 

(chuckle) Believe me I read the manuals, I'm not a guy who tries to not use the instruction while building. Huh in our house something new; hubby throw the manual my way for me to read while he (shakes head) tries to build with just his instincts. Sooner or later he get frustrated and asks "so where does this dohikey go baby?". For some men reason he only reads manuals after the facts. Men!

 

 

So as to the mother ship, even though the manual only came in Korean I downloaded a English version and understand the controls. Problem is I'm not steering the blasted ship. Someone left gremlins into the control room and they think it funny to steer in circles constantly.

 


 

Ha!   I'm one of those, with manuals, that glance at it to make sure I have the number of parts needed, all spread out in front of me...not starting out with 'missing' parts!  I do the visual thing....but kind of like your husband...to see if I can put it together without reading the instructions, then more often than not, end up reading the manual....then, find out it's been written by someone in a foreign country, and the translation into English doesn't make sense...either way...a few swear words escape my mouth!  :smileyvery-happy:  I've got wires coming out my ears, connected to my computer....sound system that will blast you out of the room...but I'm glad it's all color coded, or I'd be in a world of trouble! LOL

 

And, yes....those gremlins are nasty critters...almost as bad as tribbles...they multiply faster than a gerbil, and can't steer a straight line, even if their life depends upon it!  I think the Mothership crashed someplace around Mars.  I saw a large ball of aluminum foil shooting through space, upon impact.  This shiny ball will now be orbiting earth...until it burns up within our atmosphere.  Of course, there is an outside chance that a rescue ship could find them in time....but it's a slim chance.  With no manual, and gremlins....we're doomed!

 

Latest news:  Space shuttle is about to land, here in So.Ca.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: tech problems

One of the problems I have had since installing Chrome is that when I click on a link within B&N I can't get back to the B&N page. If I 'Exit' I exit both the link page and B&N!!  Any advice Becke??

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: tech problems

Hmm. The problem I've had with Chrome is that I have to go through about five steps whenever I check in. Is that the sort of problem you're having? I sometimes switch to Mozilla, but I like Chrome for the speed, despite the hassles. I'm not sure if the problem you are describing is related to Chrome or the renovation work here. Have you tried opening B&N with Mozilla Firefox to see if it works any differently? I've got both in my computer, you can download them for free.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: tech problems

It takes a long time to sign in but there are no other 'hoops'.  Actually I have just realised that I described the problem wrongly - when I hit a link/URL in a post I get booted off B&N and have to sign in again.  It is happening on other websites I use so it is not, upon this occasion!, a B&N problem.  

 

 

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: tech problems

I've loaded Firefox but the same thing is happening!  If I exit from a link I also exit from B&N:smileysad:  What to do????

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: tech problems

Choisya - I'm going to ask Jon about this.

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Changes at My B&N - give us your feedback

I'm so sorry a lot of you are experiencing problems signing in and commenting. I know Jon is working on it -- and I spotted almost all of our Garden Book Club regulars over on the Community Room site discussing this issue. Jon mentioned computer gnomes, and when I searched the web, I found this image -- it was labeled "the only known photo of a computer gnome." I thought you'd be interested to see it, and I'm adding a few other gnomes, too.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Changes at My B&N - give us your feedback

Father Kevin is the one in the green pants, and Little Jon is practicing his riding skills,,,,,on the bunny.
becke_davis wrote:

I'm so sorry a lot of you are experiencing problems signing in and commenting. I know Jon is working on it -- and I spotted almost all of our Garden Book Club regulars over on the Community Room site discussing this issue. Jon mentioned computer gnomes, and when I searched the web, I found this image -- it was labeled "the only known photo of a computer gnome." I thought you'd be interested to see it, and I'm adding a few other gnomes, too.

 


 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Changes at My B&N - give us your feedback

I think we're making a lot of progress -- and I LOVE the bigger fonts!

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Changes at My B&N - give us your feedback


becke_davis wrote:

I think we're making a lot of progress -- and I LOVE the bigger fonts!


 

:smileyvery-happy:...We talk a lot, that's for sure.. if you want to call that progress, then you are most welcome to live in your fantasy world.....but there has been no concrete progress that has been shown, yet, other than they were forced to increase the font size...or Choisya was going to fly over here and release a stink bomb in Jon's living room!  :smileyvery-happy:  We couldn't have that, now could we?  But, according to her, the fonts have reverted back to the small font, on her computer...I told her it was all an optical illusion...if you've been reading these "maintenance" threads.... it's just so comical, now, I can't stop laughing.... I've been transformed into a gnome, too,  and now I just go around kicking everyone's shins!  So, look out, Becke....I may be sitting on your back porch, under one of your flower pots, soon!

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Changes at My B&N - give us your feedback

 


KathyS wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I think we're making a lot of progress -- and I LOVE the bigger fonts!


 

:smileyvery-happy:...We talk a lot, that's for sure.. if you want to call that progress, then you are most welcome to live in your fantasy world.....but there has been no concrete progress that has been shown, yet, other than they were forced to increase the font size...or Choisya was going to fly over here and release a stink bomb in Jon's living room!  :smileyvery-happy:  We couldn't have that, now could we?  But, according to her, the fonts have reverted back to the small font, on her computer...I told her it was all an optical illusion...if you've been reading these "maintenance" threads.... it's just so comical, now, I can't stop laughing.... I've been transformed into a gnome, too,  and now I just go around kicking everyone's shins!  So, look out, Becke....I may be sitting on your back porch, under one of your flower pots, soon!


 

 

(tears rolling down the face laughing) Oh my.... just had a flash of me doing that to any adult who ignored me up until I was 6. I was a terrible shin kicker.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Changes at My B&N - give us your feedback


TiggerBear wrote:

 


KathyS wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I think we're making a lot of progress -- and I LOVE the bigger fonts!


 

:smileyvery-happy:...We talk a lot, that's for sure.. if you want to call that progress, then you are most welcome to live in your fantasy world.....but there has been no concrete progress that has been shown, yet, other than they were forced to increase the font size...or Choisya was going to fly over here and release a stink bomb in Jon's living room!  :smileyvery-happy:  We couldn't have that, now could we?  But, according to her, the fonts have reverted back to the small font, on her computer...I told her it was all an optical illusion...if you've been reading these "maintenance" threads.... it's just so comical, now, I can't stop laughing.... I've been transformed into a gnome, too,  and now I just go around kicking everyone's shins!  So, look out, Becke....I may be sitting on your back porch, under one of your flower pots, soon!


 

 

(tears rolling down the face laughing) Oh my.... just had a flash of me doing that to any adult who ignored me up until I was 6. I was a terrible shin kicker.

 


 

:smileyvery-happy:  I can picture this!  See, I told you've been an influence on me!  It's all your fault...you rotten kid!  Up until I met you, I was a nice little girl...and now you've turned me into a rotten gnome, using profanity, too!  Horse pucky!

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Changes at My B&N - give us your feedback

 


KathyS wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

 


KathyS wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I think we're making a lot of progress -- and I LOVE the bigger fonts!


 

:smileyvery-happy:...We talk a lot, that's for sure.. if you want to call that progress, then you are most welcome to live in your fantasy world.....but there has been no concrete progress that has been shown, yet, other than they were forced to increase the font size...or Choisya was going to fly over here and release a stink bomb in Jon's living room!  :smileyvery-happy:  We couldn't have that, now could we?  But, according to her, the fonts have reverted back to the small font, on her computer...I told her it was all an optical illusion...if you've been reading these "maintenance" threads.... it's just so comical, now, I can't stop laughing.... I've been transformed into a gnome, too,  and now I just go around kicking everyone's shins!  So, look out, Becke....I may be sitting on your back porch, under one of your flower pots, soon!


 

 

(tears rolling down the face laughing) Oh my.... just had a flash of me doing that to any adult who ignored me up until I was 6. I was a terrible shin kicker.

 


 

:smileyvery-happy:  I can picture this!  See, I told you've been an influence on me!  It's all your fault...you rotten kid!  Up until I met you, I was a nice little girl...and now you've turned me into a rotten gnome, using profanity, too!  Horse pucky!


 

Oh not fair so not fair, miss goody two shoes! (chuckle) I still don't think it's my fault that it bothered me to be ignored yet talked about in the third person while I was standing right there. That's just rude! I only stopped because it a lot harder to igone a kid who's taller than your belly button, I'd grown enough for even the dunderheads to notice. :smileytongue:

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Changes at My B&N - give us your feedback

Geez, I walk away for a minute to try and finish an article, and I come back to Where the Wild Things Are! Oh wait, I'd better check -- I just heard a thunk on my deck and thought it was the raccoons, but maybe it's Kathy tucking herself into one of my flower pots. 

 

Anyway, I really did think it was running smoother here, but I'm kind of known for wearing rose-tinted glasses. (Well, they are gray-tinted, but you know what I mean!) The font is definitely larger on my computer -- I no longer have to wear my glasses to read your posts. Hurray! I think . . .

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Changes at My B&N - give us your feedback


TiggerBear wrote:

 


KathyS wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

 


KathyS wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I think we're making a lot of progress -- and I LOVE the bigger fonts!


 

:smileyvery-happy:...We talk a lot, that's for sure.. if you want to call that progress, then you are most welcome to live in your fantasy world.....but there has been no concrete progress that has been shown, yet, other than they were forced to increase the font size...or Choisya was going to fly over here and release a stink bomb in Jon's living room!  :smileyvery-happy:  We couldn't have that, now could we?  But, according to her, the fonts have reverted back to the small font, on her computer...I told her it was all an optical illusion...if you've been reading these "maintenance" threads.... it's just so comical, now, I can't stop laughing.... I've been transformed into a gnome, too,  and now I just go around kicking everyone's shins!  So, look out, Becke....I may be sitting on your back porch, under one of your flower pots, soon!


 

 

(tears rolling down the face laughing) Oh my.... just had a flash of me doing that to any adult who ignored me up until I was 6. I was a terrible shin kicker.

 


 

:smileyvery-happy:  I can picture this!  See, I told you've been an influence on me!  It's all your fault...you rotten kid!  Up until I met you, I was a nice little girl...and now you've turned me into a rotten gnome, using profanity, too!  Horse pucky!


 

Oh not fair so not fair, miss goody two shoes! (chuckle) I still don't think it's my fault that it bothered me to be ignored yet talked about in the third person while I was standing right there. That's just rude! I only stopped because it a lot harder to igone a kid who's taller than your belly button, I'd grown enough for even the dunderheads to notice. :smileytongue:

 


 

Okay, truce...:smileyhappy:  Seriously.... I was a goody two shoes, as a child...I worked hard at it.....but I was never perceived as being good. I know and understand what you were feeling, though, .....I also dealt with being third person, as a child, and as an adult.... I dealt with it, and dealt with it....  Now both my parents are dead.  It doesn't happen to me in real life, anymore.  But I have had to deal with it on these boards...and I am serious. 

 

Now that we've gotten off the subject of B&N feedback issues....:smileyhappy:  No, you haven't been an influence on me..I was teasing....but, I don't put up with much S**t anymore, on or off these boards.  Okay....sigh.....enough bearing my soul....I think I need a nap.... :smileyindifferent:

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Changes at My B&N - give us your feedback

I'm rather comfy right now, but If you hear a scratching at your slider door, tonight...answer it,  I sometimes need a drink of water, in the middle of the night...and drinking out of a hose just won't do.  :smileyhappy:

 

Yes, they changed the font (opened it up), and the size, and darkened it.  It is easier to read...hurray for that!


becke_davis wrote:

Geez, I walk away for a minute to try and finish an article, and I come back to Where the Wild Things Are! Oh wait, I'd better check -- I just heard a thunk on my deck and thought it was the raccoons, but maybe it's Kathy tucking herself into one of my flower pots. 

 

Anyway, I really did think it was running smoother here, but I'm kind of known for wearing rose-tinted glasses. (Well, they are gray-tinted, but you know what I mean!) The font is definitely larger on my computer -- I no longer have to wear my glasses to read your posts. Hurray! I think . . .


 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008

Re: Changes at My B&N - give us your feedback

 


KathyS wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

 


KathyS wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

 


KathyS wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I think we're making a lot of progress -- and I LOVE the bigger fonts!


 

:smileyvery-happy:...We talk a lot, that's for sure.. if you want to call that progress, then you are most welcome to live in your fantasy world.....but there has been no concrete progress that has been shown, yet, other than they were forced to increase the font size...or Choisya was going to fly over here and release a stink bomb in Jon's living room!  :smileyvery-happy:  We couldn't have that, now could we?  But, according to her, the fonts have reverted back to the small font, on her computer...I told her it was all an optical illusion...if you've been reading these "maintenance" threads.... it's just so comical, now, I can't stop laughing.... I've been transformed into a gnome, too,  and now I just go around kicking everyone's shins!  So, look out, Becke....I may be sitting on your back porch, under one of your flower pots, soon!


 

 

(tears rolling down the face laughing) Oh my.... just had a flash of me doing that to any adult who ignored me up until I was 6. I was a terrible shin kicker.

 


 

:smileyvery-happy:  I can picture this!  See, I told you've been an influence on me!  It's all your fault...you rotten kid!  Up until I met you, I was a nice little girl...and now you've turned me into a rotten gnome, using profanity, too!  Horse pucky!


 

Oh not fair so not fair, miss goody two shoes! (chuckle) I still don't think it's my fault that it bothered me to be ignored yet talked about in the third person while I was standing right there. That's just rude! I only stopped because it a lot harder to igone a kid who's taller than your belly button, I'd grown enough for even the dunderheads to notice. :smileytongue:

 


 

Okay, truce...:smileyhappy:  Seriously.... I was a goody two shoes, as a child...I worked hard at it.....but I was never perceived as being good. I know and understand what you were feeling, though, .....I also dealt with being third person, as a child, and as an adult.... I dealt with it, and dealt with it....  Now both my parents are dead.  It doesn't happen to me in real life, anymore.  But I have had to deal with it on these boards...and I am serious. 

 

Now that we've gotten off the subject of B&N feedback issues....:smileyhappy:  No, you haven't been an influence on me..I was teasing....but, I don't put up with much S**t anymore, on or off these boards.  Okay....sigh.....enough bearing my soul....I think I need a nap.... :smileyindifferent:


 

 

Well I see that as a good thing. I don't put up with much crap at all ever.

 

This will give you a laugh, recent experience with my bank and customer service. A long story but well ...I find it funny.

 

So I get my new debt card in the mail, big letters on the page it was attached to. Do not use this until pin activation, we will be sending you a temporary pin in 7 days.  In much smaller print. Your old card has 60 days left of use, do not be concerned. So I shrug slip it in my wallet and continue to use the old one. 5 weeks go by I go grocery shopping. Note they still haven't sent me an activation pin yet for the new card. There are still 3 weeks of use on the old card according to the bank missive. I go to check out and boom "card no longer valid". Well that's just a pisser since I didn't have 180 bucks in cash, it was all on account. So I have to ask the checker to wait I'll be right back, the dear even put my colds and frozens bagged up in the bag ice chest for me. Very nice of them. I go out to the car and call the customer service for my bank. It takes 20mins on the phone to go through verification of my ID and click click on her side my card is activated for a credit draw and I'm given the knowledge that later I can slip in the bank show them my ID and use their pin setter machine which should only take a min. So I go in pay for my stuff. Pop the groceries in the car, I've got an ice chest and freezes in the trunk for cold transport. So I swing by the bank branch before heading home. Well it takes me a 35 min wait for 4 customer service people who aren't doing visibly much of anything and one of them to look over and see I was waiting. I heard all about the kiddos soccer games and where they had lunch though. Yeah I was pissed at this point, still polite though. So finally the lady checks my ID and lo and behold even though the pin machine is on her desk and it's got wear signs and a little dust (so I know it wasn't new, I'd seen it and just not known what it was for before too) but she doesn't know how to use it. Not a new employee either. Soo now she has to ask her boss for instructions but we get it done. My end 45 mins wait, 1 1/2 of action. Their end 5 mins of service. But I shrug it off, leave, yes my groceries were still cold and no my pizzas didn't thaw; it was all ok. And I go on with life. It was inconvenient but a small banking error and a good dose of incompetence. Nothing to really be ruffled about.

 Hears where it gets funny.  So 2 weeks go by I get a call from the bank district manager." Would you mind telling me of the incident with your card?" Note I hadn't either verbally or otherwise complained much less called it an incident. Big brother is watching, she got it off the branches cameras, best I can tell. So I go over it with her. I tell her I'm not mad, afterall I'm used to a longish wait in that branch for customer service. That the failure to be sent a pin was really the problem. She agrees, apologies, relating that every one who was supposed to be sent a pin that month didn't get one. Massive computer error, so so sorry. I close it with "Ok thanks for checking, you have a nice day too. " Odd but certainly felt like they were trying to be attentive and apologetic. A 30 min conversation. No biggy right? Wait, that wasn't the end of it.

 So next day. Branch manager calls. "I just got back form vacation yesterday. 6 apologies. Would you mind going over the incident with me?" "Umm didn't the lady who called me yesterday who was recording it, tell you?" "Yes but ... " So I got over it again. She wanted descriptions of the employees evolved. Frankly do you remember what your bank employees were wearing on a day weeks ago? They all have brown hair, dress the same, and honesty they kind of cloneish in appearance. I hedge it, hum around, and tell her so I'm not getting anyone in trouble for a minor inconvenience. "Could we drop that?" She apologies for another 12 times. Embarrassingly so. I finally get to hang up 40 mins later. Wait still not the end of this.

 So 2 weeks later the regional head of customer relations calls. At least he asked the performance of the phone operator. I gave that lady the glowing review she deserved. It may have taken 20 mins but I appreciate the safety precautions and she was very nice about all of it. Then of course he wants the branch "incident" details. Why they wanted to refer to it as an incident I still don't know. But I go over it again, reminding him that this is the third such phone call. So now I get his stream of apologies. I stop him mid way 30 mins so far. "No offense, but I've now spent well over twice the time talking about what happened than the time it took to happen originally. I don't need any more apologies. One would have been sufficient. That the apologizing alone was getting excessive. Sir, frankly this only became a real problem with the last 2 phone calls. Would you mind assuring me that no one, especially the next higher up will be calling me asking me to go over it?" Flummoxed the dude. Bet you his boss intended to call me next. (laugh)

 

Have we really gotten to an age where you have to ask them to stop apologizing?