Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Changes at My B&N - give us your feedback

Mine is only easier to read in the Reply boxes.  In the Post Message box it is still feint and smaller. 

KathyS wrote:

I'm rather comfy right now, but If you hear a scratching at your slider door, tonight...answer it,  I sometimes need a drink of water, in the middle of the night...and drinking out of a hose just won't do.  :smileyhappy:

Yes, they changed the font (opened it up), and the size, and darkened it.  It is easier to read...hurray for that!

becke_davis wrote:

Geez, I walk away for a minute to try and finish an article, and I come back to Where the Wild Things Are! Oh wait, I'd better check -- I just heard a thunk on my deck and thought it was the raccoons, but maybe it's Kathy tucking herself into one of my flower pots. 

Anyway, I really did think it was running smoother here, but I'm kind of known for wearing rose-tinted glasses. (Well, they are gray-tinted, but you know what I mean!) The font is definitely larger on my computer -- I no longer have to wear my glasses to read your posts. Hurray! I think . . .

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Choisay, I'm thinking I might have to go back to trifocals, again...computer fonts are ruining my eyes!  Let's hope with the final changes, things get back to normal...what ever that is these days.  I'm beginning to think abnormal is normal!  Ha!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I thought my eye dr. was joking when he said I really needed separate glasses for reading books, working on the computer and for distances. And for sunglasses. I tried trifocals and couldn't get used to them. So now I'm a walking eyeglasses store -- my purse weighs a ton, mainly from all the different pairs of glasses I'm carrying around.

Choisya, I don't know why the font would look different in different places for you. But then, I'm no techie.

I'm cracking up at all these comments, and the stories of your run-ins with aggravating people/situations. I'm pretty mild-mannered, myself, until I get on the phone with automated answering systems.

KathyS

Boy, TiggerBear...that was some story!  It was nice that they called you, but I mean, enough is enough!  I wonder if it finally got back to the person/people who were ultimately responsible for this whole inconvenience?  I think if it were simply computer problems...one "sorry" would have been enough.  This was a little overboard!  You handled it very nicely! 

It reminds me of when you go to see a new doctor....filling out all the paper work, and then when you see the nurse, first...she asks you the same questions....everything you already wrote out on the papers, which she has in her hand....then the doctor comes in, and asks the same stupid questions.  I asked a nurse, once, why they just couldn't read what I had already written....she said, they have to double check the patient's answers to make sure they new what they wrote down, matches what they say, correcting it if necessary....kind of like here...these confirmations, before you can go back to the board.  Yes, "I wanted it to be marked "all as read", I wouldn't have clicked it if I didn't....you don't have to ask me twice!"  I just hate redundancy of any kind, if it's not necessary.  Although, I'm getting to the age of probably repeating myself....oops... :smileyvery-happy:

KathyS
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I thought my eye dr. was joking when he said I really needed separate glasses for reading books, working on the computer and for distances. And for sunglasses. I tried trifocals and couldn't get used to them. So now I'm a walking eyeglasses store -- my purse weighs a ton, mainly from all the different pairs of glasses I'm carrying around.

Choisya, I don't know why the font would look different in different places for you. But then, I'm no techie.

I'm cracking up at all these comments, and the stories of your run-ins with aggravating people/situations. I'm pretty mild-mannered, myself, until I get on the phone with automated answering systems.

Contacts are really the best way to go, for me.  I had a pair of reading glasses made, to wear with contacts.  The top is clear, and the bottom is corrected for reading, or working with my pottery.  Now I need to get my eyes checked, again, and new regular glasses.  I think I'm going blind, being on B&NBC, without that mid vision in my glasses!  I had them when I worked, but thought I could get rid of them when I had new glasses made, and stopped working.  I switch back and forth, from glasses to contacts...depends on whether I feel like putting them in that day.

Kevin noted that the message box font is still small, although a little darker...soon that will change, as soon as they figure out how to do it.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have astigmatism, which basically seems to mean pointy eyeballs. At least, when I tried contacts (back when they only came in hard contacts) I had a heck of a time getting them on, and then they bugged me. My eyesight isn't all that bad, so I never pushed the issue. As I get older, though, the multi-glasses things becomes more and more of a pain. My mom blames it on all the years I hid under the sheets, reading by flashlight, after my official bedtime.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Off Topic - Contact Lenses

[ Edited ]

becke_davis wrote:

I have astigmatism, which basically seems to mean pointy eyeballs. At least, when I tried contacts (back when they only came in hard contacts) I had a heck of a time getting them on, and then they bugged me. My eyesight isn't all that bad, so I never pushed the issue. As I get older, though, the multi-glasses things becomes more and more of a pain. My mom blames it on all the years I hid under the sheets, reading by flashlight, after my official bedtime.

LOL...Mom's, don'tcha love their reasoning!   I don't know about the eyeball being pointy,  I just know it's misshapen.

You might try contacts, again....They are improved, now.  Contact Lenses 101.

I'm leagally blind..that's what they tell me, without glasses...I can see my hand in front of my face, but that's about it...the world is one big blur.  I also have severe astigmatism, besides being nearsighted...I had those hard contacts too, and they were a pain, literally.  One night, I left them in a couple of hours too long, and I ended up at the doctors the next morning.  I couldn't open my eyes...they scratched the old eyeballs....I was a teenager, out for the evening, what was I suppose to do...come home and take them out?  Ha!

After hard contacts, they went to soft lenses, permeables...they breathe....They were comfortable, but were harder to get the correction for the astigmatism, at that time....but I could actually see very well with them.  That was a lot of years ago, and I know they've probably perfected them a lot, now....But now I've ended up with these stupid disposable ones, I didn't have a choice when I went to Lens Crafters...Acuvue Advance for astigmatism.  They're like handling minute pieces of Jello-jigglers!.....which don't seem to correct my vision very well. I'm going to go back to my opthamologist, and get fitted with better ones.  But no matter what I get, in all the years I've had them, I've always been advised to take them out at night. Eyeballs have to breath.  And I have to keep them lubricated....they do dry your eyes!  I think these desposible ones suck the moisture right out of your eyeball!...and..it's horrible in the wind!  Even with sunglasses on, which you always have to wear, here! 

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Contacts have changed by leaps. Thay can acutaully shape them to fit your eyeballs now. You can get them where you ware a new pair every couple of days and just throw the old ones away.

The fitting and a year's supply is comperable to a pair and a half of glasses cost.

As yes they have them for astigmatism.

Been thing about them, I'm up for new glasses.  I'm near sight everything far away looks a little over twice the distance, I have 20/9 and 20/7 up close over twice better than normal, and my right eye has ever so slight a astigmasim. My eye doctor keeps mentioning it. "You wouldn't have to keep taking them off to read." I'm just concerned since I have alergies.

pen21
0 Kudos

TiggerBear, That is a great story. It does make you wonder if they ever went back to train the employees to do the task.

TiggerBear wrote:

Well I see that as a good thing. I don't put up with much crap at all ever.

This will give you a laugh, recent experience with my bank and customer service. A long story but well ...I find it funny.

So I get my new debt card in the mail, big letters on the page it was attached to. Do not use this until pin activation, we will be sending you a temporary pin in 7 days.  In much smaller print. Your old card has 60 days left of use, do not be concerned. So I shrug slip it in my wallet and continue to use the old one. 5

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

TiggerBear, That is a great story. It does make you wonder if they ever went back to train the employees to do the task.

TiggerBear wrote:

Well I see that as a good thing. I don't put up with much crap at all ever.

This will give you a laugh, recent experience with my bank and customer service. A long story but well ...I find it funny.

So I get my new debt card in the mail, big letters on the page it was attached to. Do not use this until pin activation, we will be sending you a temporary pin in 7 days.  In much smaller print. Your old card has 60 days left of use, do not be concerned. So I shrug slip it in my wallet and continue to use the old one. 5

Oh I figure it probably got all the mid level management and mid level clerks in some hot water. I'm thinking they're getting attend customers timely retraining or something. I know none of them got fired, I've seen them all still there. Last time I went in for help; I walked up, as I was going over, the branch manager did a 360 and helped me herself. I really hope there isn't a picture of me in the back office with a do not piss off label. (chuckle)

Sad thing was the pin machine was child's play easy. All she had to do was type in my account number, have me sign on the signature screen, swipe my card, click in the pin I wanted, and click accept. I could have done it without her, the program was kiosk simple.

KathyS
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

pen21 wrote:

Oh I figure it probably got all the mid level management and mid level clerks in some hot water. I'm thinking they're getting attend customers timely retraining or something. I know none of them got fired, I've seen them all still there. Last time I went in for help; I walked up, as I was going over, the branch manager did a 360 and helped me herself. I really hope there isn't a picture of me in the back office with a do not piss off label. (chuckle)

Sad thing was the pin machine was child's play easy. All she had to do was type in my account number, have me sign on the signature screen, swipe my card, click in the pin I wanted, and click accept. I could have done it without her, the program was kiosk simple.

TB, they probably had a meeting, and all watched the tape, using you as an example of how NOT to treat a customer....then took a still of you, and hung it in the break room, with the rest of their #1 customers...There's probably a piece of gum now attached to your nose!  :smileyvery-happy:  The branch manager probably did a double take, because he was wondering if that was you, without the gum stuck on your nose!

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I think I may be dead by the time the 'final changes' arrive Kathy!  BTW I have acute astigmatism and could hardly see a hand in front of my eyes when I was younger.  As I've grown older however, my eyesight has improved considerably and I am told this often happens with astigmatism.  So there is hope for you:smileyhappy:.  

KathyS wrote:

Choisay, I'm thinking I might have to go back to trifocals, again...computer fonts are ruining my eyes!  Let's hope with the final changes, things get back to normal...what ever that is these days.  I'm beginning to think abnormal is normal!  Ha!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Good grief, I hope you live forever, Choisya -- but I also hope everything here is all shiny and running smoothly before long! I think you all need another "feel better" bouquet:

pen21

OK now I have a picture stuck in my mind, The 10 most feared customers on a dart board.

They probably have pop quizes, they have 30 seconds to identify the top 10.

Sorry I don't know why that is so funny. It did make me laugh out loud.

TiggerBear wrote:

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

pen21 wrote:

OK now I have a picture stuck in my mind, The 10 most feared customers on a dart board.

They probably have pop quizes, they have 30 seconds to identify the top 10.

Sorry I don't know why that is so funny. It did make me laugh out loud.

TiggerBear wrote:

(laughing)

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee

becke_davis wrote:

Kathy -- I hate to be crude, but are you sure he is riding that bunny?  Riding, as in  "transportation?"  That wasn't my first impression!!!    :smileyhappy:  :smileyhappy:

becke_davis

Re: Changes at My B&N - Gnome in the Machine

[ Edited ]

I have to check into this thread on a regular basis to get my giggle of the day -- I just have to remember not to take a sip of my tea before I read the posts!

Here are more interesting gnomes -- I love the one with the lantern:

gnome.1.gifGnomes

KathyS
0 Kudos

I think we both might be! 

Yes, I've heard about the reversal of this problem.  My father's eyes did that...my eyes started to get better, but now my left eye is worsening.  It was always my better eye...it's probably catching up to the right, now.

Hang in there my Lady!

Choisya wrote:

I think I may be dead by the time the 'final changes' arrive Kathy!  BTW I have acute astigmatism and could hardly see a hand in front of my eyes when I was younger.  As I've grown older however, my eyesight has improved considerably and I am told this often happens with astigmatism.  So there is hope for you:smileyhappy:.  

KathyS wrote:

Choisya, I'm thinking I might have to go back to trifocals, again...computer fonts are ruining my eyes!  Let's hope with the final changes, things get back to normal...what ever that is these days.  I'm beginning to think abnormal is normal!  Ha!

KathyS
0 Kudos

Beautiful flowers!

What an absolutely beautiful painting!  Thank you so much.  Do you know who the artist is? 

becke_davis wrote:

Good grief, I hope you live forever, Choisya -- but I also hope everything here is all shiny and running smoothly before long! I think you all need another "feel better" bouquet:

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Changes at My B&N - Gnome in the Machine

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, our happy little family....

......sorry about the number under my pic...I swear, I only kicked Jon and Kevin once....okay, maybe twice, BUT THAT'S ALL!  These guys have NO sense of humor at all!!!!!!  And here, I gave Kevin his favorite color of pants to wear, green!....and Jon?  What can I say?  He loves bunnies...well, I don't mean he really loves them, I mean, he likes them a lot...dumb, preferably.  It's probably the influence of all of those wonderful techs they hired, now making everyone blindly hop around, waiting for next Easter!

I think I have a thing for that old guy with the lantern...oh, goodness...he's HOT! 

I'd love to have him on my lawn!

becke_davis wrote:

I have to check into this thread on a regular basis to get my giggle of the day -- I just have to remember not to take a sip of my tea before I read the posts!

Here are more interesting gnomes -- I love the one with the lantern:

gnome.1.gifGnomes