Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Gnomes and bunnies, Oh My!

Psychee wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Kathy -- I hate to be crude, but are you sure he is riding that bunny?  Riding, as in  "transportation?"  That wasn't my first impression!!!    :smileyhappy:  :smileyhappy:

Ah, go ahead and be crude.....I know what you're thinking, my thoughts, too....but, it's all in the eye of the beholder!   An odd picture, huh?  Is this what gnomes do for fun?  I wonder?  Getty up, bugs!  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: Gnomes and bunnies, Oh My!

I had a young online friend in Australia who told his irritating little brother that naughty kids get turned into garden gnomes.  The kid got so frightened that he started to behave!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Beautiful flowers!

KathyS wrote:

What an absolutely beautiful painting!  Thank you so much.  Do you know who the artist is? 

becke_davis wrote:

Good grief, I hope you live forever, Choisya -- but I also hope everything here is all shiny and running smoothly before long! I think you all need another "feel better" bouquet:

It's called "Fall Flower Basket" by Daniel Wall

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

I had a young online friend in Australia who told his irritating little brother that naughty kids get turned into garden gnomes.  The kid got so frightened that he started to behave!

I wish I had thought of that when my son was young and had a red-headed temper!
Here's more flowers and some gnomes and faeries. (Isn't that Halloween costume darling?)
See full size image
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Psychee wrote:

I wish I had thought of that when my son was young and had a red-headed temper!
Here's more flowers and some gnomes and faeries. (Isn't that Halloween costume darling?)
See full size image

Was I the only one who mother told them that the goblins would take you if don't stop misbehaving?

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Changes at My B&N - give us your feedback

Psychee wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Kathy -- I hate to be crude, but are you sure he is riding that bunny?  Riding, as in  "transportation?"  That wasn't my first impression!!!    :smileyhappy:  :smileyhappy:

I thought that too, see you can really see the bunny's legs.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

*snort!* I am sooooo not getting into the bunny/gnome discussion!

I heard about the boogeyman, and maybe goblins, but never gnomes as baddies.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Re: Changes at My B&N - give us your feedback

TiggerBear wrote:

Psychee wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I thought that too, see you can really see the bunny's legs.

lol... Tigger, with my vision, all that back part is merging together to look like it belongs to the gnome!  I'm just being silly, though.

Becke -- be careful with that coffee!  :smileyhappy:

KathyS

For you all

[ Edited ]
See full size image
An Autumn Garden

When autumn comes to northern sky
the leaves of brown in winds they fly
catch the air, it's fragrance fresh
see your tree, a little nest

Leaves of gold , a fairy proud
up they fly, towards a cloud
catch the air, smell the flower
 tumbling down, a falling shower

Rain put forth, a drink to nourish
growth will bud, the heart will flourish
strength wins out, strong and true
then clouds will vanish, into blue

Creatures scurry, to make a bed
you and I, to songs are lead
lift again to nature's growth
parting words, to all it's worth

Golden hues and sparkling red
all is warmth, all is fed
along the limbs, the leaves will part
to pave the way, a springtime start
KS
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Was I the only one who mother told them that the goblins would take you if don't stop misbehaving?

The only mythical creature I was threatened with was the  "boogeyman".  That and Santa's delivery of coal.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Nice poem, KS!  :smileyhappy:

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

The only mythical creature I was threatened with was the  "boogeyman".  That and Santa's delivery of coal.

My mom used it, up until the point

Labyrinth  came out. And I said "gee mommy looks like fun to be taken by the goblins".

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Labyrinth  came out. And I said "gee mommy looks like fun to be taken by the goblins".

Checkmated her, didn't you?  :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:  Smart child.    What threat did she replace that one with?

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Checkmated her, didn't you?  :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:  Smart child.    What threat did she replace that one with?

Bad repeated behavior was punished by enforced reading and required reports on Dickens' books. Allowance, toys, TV, trips, outside play banned. "Sit, read, 200 words". (shudder) Still to this day can't stand Dickens. But I whip up an essay in mins. Helped by collage.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: For you all

KathyS wrote:
See full size image
An Autumn Garden

When autumn comes to northern sky
the leaves of brown in winds they fly
catch the air, it's fragrance fresh
see your tree, a little nest

Leaves of gold , a fairy proud
up they fly, towards a cloud
catch the air, smell the flower
 tumbling down, a falling shower

Rain put forth, a drink to nourish
growth will bud, the heart will flourish
strength wins out, strong and true
then clouds will vanish, into blue

Creatures scurry, to make a bed
you and I, to songs are lead
lift again to nature's growth
parting words, to all it's worth

Golden hues and sparkling red
all is warmth, all is fed
along the limbs, the leaves will part
to pave the way, a springtime start
KS
I love it, Kathy! The poet laureate of the Garden Book Club returns!
KathyS
0 Kudos

(You know I can't stay away from this board, long.  It makes me irritable when I do...I have to come back, even when I'm faced with over 200 posts I haven't read.  I can't respond to all of them, but I wanted to say something - my muse is this board....  I wrote that poem in just a few minutes, just before you posted those pictures.  A picture does say a thousand words!  I changed two words, after I saw the fairy.  I'm never sure if I'm happy with what I write, but it's just who I am, and that's who you get to see.)

See you later, I'm off to school ~  I've got clay to touch!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

(You know I can't stay away from this board, long.  It makes me irritable when I do...I have to come back, even when I'm faced with over 200 posts I haven't read.  I can't respond to all of them, but I wanted to say something - my muse is this board....  I wrote that poem in just a few minutes, just before you posted those pictures.  A picture does say a thousand words!  I changed two words, after I saw the fairy.  I'm never sure if I'm happy with what I write, but it's just who I am, and that's who you get to see.)

See you later, I'm off to school ~  I've got clay to touch!

Maybe you'll be inspired to make some fairies for your garden!