Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

February Feature: What's Wrong With My Plant? (And How Do I Fix It?)

What's Wrong With My Plant? (And How Do I Fix It?) 

Synopsis

Dealing with a sick plant is one of the most frustrating situations a gardener can face. More often than not, we have no idea what is causing the problem, or how to fix it. Fortunately, help is at hand. What's Wrong With My Plant? (And How Do I Fix It?) provides an easy visual system for diagnosing any problem—and matching it to the right cure. 

This innovative and easy-to-use guide is split into three parts. Part One presents easy-to-follow, illustrated flow charts—organized by the plant part on which the symptoms appear—that allow readers to accurately diagnose the plant. The format is so simple it doesn't even require knowing the name of the plant; all you need to know is whether the problem is affecting the plant's roots, stem, flowers, or leaves. It does not matter whether the plant is a houseplant, perennial, vegetable, tree, or shrub. Part Two offers a 100% organic way to fix the problem. Whether it’s caused by improper growing conditions or environmental factors, or whether the culprit is a pest or disease, every problem has a safe, natural solution. Part Three shows photographs and drawings of stressed, damaged, and diseased plants that help with accurate comparison. 

Whether your garden consists of herbs on a kitchen windowsill, a vegetable garden, an elaborate backyard border, or a container on a patio, What's Wrong With My Plant? is an indispensable resource. If you can see it, you can fix it. Curing a sick plant just doesn't get any easier.

Library Journal

Plant pathologist Deardorff and naturalist Wadsworth have created a book to diagnose and organically treat plant problems, whether related to cultivation, pests, or disease. The first section of the book is divided by plant part, from whole plant to leaves to flowers to fruits to stems to seeds. Gardeners use the symptoms present in their plant—or specific part of the plant—to answer a series of questions, arranged in flow charts and illustrated with color drawings, which lead them to a diagnosis of the problem. The entry then refers the gardener to the pages for solutions and, if available, a photograph of a plant with that problem. The authors stress providing the proper growing conditions for plants as well as preventative measures to avoid issues. However, if an insect/disease problem does occur, they offer solutions in Part 2—first changes in growing conditions, then biological/chemical products, all approved for organic gardening. Part 3 includes photographs of common troubles. VERDICT This attractive, comprehensive, authoritative, and easy-to-use guide, allowing gardeners to diagnose and organically treat a wide range of plant problems, is a worthy purchase.—Sue O'Brien, Downers Grove Lib., IL

Biography

David Deardorff, Ph.D., is a plant pathologist and botanist who uses public speaking, writing, and photography to explain the science and beauty of the natural world. Together, David and his co-author, Kathryn Wadsworth,(www.deardorffandwadsworth.com) present classes and workshops with a focus on diagnosing and curing plant problems. They live and garden in Port Townsend, Washington.

Naturalist Kathryn Wadsworth shares her love for gardening and the outdoors through writing and photography. Together, Kathryn and her co-author, David Deardorff, (www.deardorffandwadsworth.com) present classes and workshops with a focus on diagnosing and curing plant problems. They live and garden in Port Townsend, Washington.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: February Feature: What's Wrong With My Plant? (And How Do I Fix It?)

[ Edited ]

For February's features, I've selected a couple of books that have a lot of practical use to gardeners.

Whenever I speak at garden events, I'm always asked a lot of questions about problems with plants. It's something all gardeners have to deal with at one time or another: what's wrong with my plant? The next question can be even more difficult: how do I fix it?

This is a very helpful guide to plant problems and solutions. It would be a great addition to a garden library.

photo of David Deardorff

ABOUT DAVID DEARDORFF

David Deardorff, Ph.D., is a plant pathologist and botanist who uses public speaking, writing, and photography to explain the science and beauty of the natural world. Together, David and his co-author, Kathryn Wadsworth,(www.deardorffandwadsworth.com) present classes and workshops with a focus on diagnosing and curing plant problems. They live and garden in Port Townsend, Washington.
More about the author

photo of Kathryn Wadsworth

ABOUT KATHRYN WADSWORTH

Naturalist Kathryn Wadsworth shares her love for gardening and the outdoors through writing and photography. Together, Kathryn and her co-author, David Deardorff, (www.deardorffandwadsworth.com) present classes and workshops with a focus on diagnosing and curing plant problems. They live and garden in Port Townsend, Washington.
More about the author
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Here's a review from Workman Publishing:

Dealing with a sick plant is one of the most frustrating situations a gardener can face. More often than not, we have no idea what is causing the problem, or how to fix it. Fortunately, help is at hand. What's Wrong With My Plant? (And How Do I Fix It?) provides an easy system for visually diagnosing any problem, and matching it to the right cure. 

This innovative and easy-to-use guide is split into three parts. 

Part One presents easy-to-follow, illustrated flow charts—organized by  where on the plant the symptoms appear—that allow readers to accurately diagnose the problem. The format is so simple it doesn't even require knowing the name of the plant; all you need to know is whether the problem is affecting its roots, stem, flowers, or leaves. It does not matter whether the plant is a houseplant, perennial, vegetable, tree, or shrub. 

Part Two offers a 100% organic way to fix the problem.  From improper growing conditions and environmental factors, to molds, pests, and diseases, every problem has a safe, natural solution. 

Part Three shows photographs and drawings of stressed, damaged, and diseased plants that help with accurate comparison. 

Whether your garden consists of herbs on a kitchen windowsill, a vegetable garden, an elaborate backyard border, or a container on a patio, What's Wrong With My Plant? is an indispensable resource. If you can see it, you can fix it. Curing a sick plant just doesn't get any easier.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Another reviewer says:

What's Wrong With My Plant? (And How Do I Fix It?) is a book that every gardener, whether you're a newbie or an old pro, should have on the shelf. It's like having a Master Gardener at your beck and call, twenty four hours a day, seven days a week, any season of the year.

Here are more reviews:

http://gardenofpossibilities.com/2009/11/28/whats-wrong-with-my-plant/

http://www.maydreamsgardens.com/2009/10/book-review-whats-wrong-with-my-plant.html

http://carletongarden.blogspot.com/2009/11/book-review-whats-wrong-with-my-plant.html

becke_davis
0 Kudos

From the Timber Press website:

"This attractive, comprehensive, authoritative and easy-to-use guide, allowing gardeners to diagnose and organically treat a wide range of plant problems, is a worthy purchase."

—Sue O'Brien, Library Journal

"David Deardorff and Kathryn Wadsworth have produced one of the best and most easily used keys to diagnosing a wide range of plant problems. ... Makes a great gift for any gardener."

—Cheryl Cadwell, Warwick (RI) Beacon

"A book that will grow dog-eared and dingy from use, yet remain on gardeners' shelves for years to come."

—Karen Taylor Gist, New Orleans Times-Picayune

"Has trouble-shooting flow-charts and solutions aplenty."

—Penny Carnathan, Tampa Tribune

"A welcome reference book for any gardener, one to keep front and center on your bookcase so that when problems show up, you'll be able to avoid your worst plant nightmares and continue to have a garden as your own paradise."

—Carol Michel, Southside Times

"An answered prayer for all gardeners."

—Ken Druse, Real Dirt blog

"I wish I had [this book] sooner, so I could have prevented the spread of fungus. This is a valuable reference for gardeners of virtually any skill level and experience."

—Carol Michel, Mr. McGregor's Daughter blog

becke_davis
0 Kudos

One of the things I like best about this book is the number of clear pictures to illustrate the text. It bears no resemblance to a child's "picture book," but the pictures will go a long way to helping confused gardeners identify pests and other plant problems. 

The three sections are brilliant in their simplicity:

1) What's wrong?

2) How do I fix it?

3) What does it look like?

While each section does included detailed information, the illustrations make it exceptionally useful as a diagnostic tool, especially for those who are new to the garden.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I once did a live radio show with another garden writer. It was recorded at one of Cincinnati's biggest garden centers, and we invited listeners to stop in and tell us about their plant problems.

I was terrified everyone would bring in plants with pests or diseases that stumped me; as it turned out I was able to identify all of the problems correctly. Solving them isn't always simple, but once you've diagnosed the problem at least you have a place to begin.

This book helps on both counts. In the meantime, if you have a problem plant (buried under the snow someplace . . .) post a comment about it and I'll see if I can help.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Hey I've ordered this book. Talk about one of my most frequently asked questions.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I have a couple similar books,Tigger, but this is by far the easiest to understand. 

New User
katybird
0 Kudos

Becke,

David and I really appreciate that you are letting readers and plant lovers know about our book. We really hope it is useful to many folks who love to grow plants. We also wanted to let you and your readers know that the web site listed in your initial message is now out-dated. Our web site is actually: www.ddandkw.com  We encourgae people to write us with their questions.

Thank you for your information-packed articles, Sincerely, Kathryn Wadsworth

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kathryn - Thank you so much for stopping by! It's a great book, and I hope a lot of people will check it out. I have a lot of diagnostic-type books, and this is one of the best I've seen.

I'll see if I can get our tech dept. to give you an "author" tag -- it might not happen instantly, but hopefully if you post later "author" will show up with your name.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

This sounds like a rather handy book to have around.  I have not had many plants lately, due to not many accessable windows and the animals seem to knock them over trying to get to the good windows.  But I have had a few that I have been able to keep for a long while.  They flurish wonderfully.  Then all the sudden the dwindle to just stems and die completely.  I wish I had, had a book like this around at those moments.

I am going to have to get this and keep it on the shelf for when I start seeing signs of trouble.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hi Melhay - thanks for stopping by! Are these houseplants? They have some unique problems. I lived in apartments when I was first married, and light was often a problem. Back then, I relied on this book and it really helped: 

Mother Earth's Hassle-Free Indoor Plant Book 

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Hi Becke! Thanks for the Mother Earth's Hassle-Free Indoor Plant Book.

The house plant that really broke my heart was the one my son gave me for mothers day.  I had it in the kitchen in the window.  It LOVED the son it got there and was just doing beautifully.  Then one day out of the blue it got itty bitty white bugs. I tried to save it any way I could, but it just didn't make it.

I will look into the book! Thanks!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Sounds like aphids. If you get them again, try one of those Safer insecticidal soap sprays to get rid of them.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Sounds like aphids. If you get them again, try one of those Safer insecticidal soap sprays to get rid of them.

Thank you Becke.  I will keep an eye out for them. :smileyhappy: