Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Important Announcement!

Starting in March, the Garden Book Club will be no more. I will be featuring garden content as well as blogs about nature and wildlife at B&N's Garden Variety blog here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Garden-Variety/bg-p/Garden_Variety

You can post comments or questions on garden topics there, and if you have a garden problem or question, just click my name and send me a personal message here. I'll get back to you asap. 

Let me know if you'd like to suggest a topic for a garden blog, or a book to feature there. In March, I'll be blogging about these books and interviewing the authors, too. I'll be featuring lots of other books, so be sure to stop by!

Winging It 

Bald Coot and Screaming Loon

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Important Announcement!

You know I really hope they didn't judge this board sections traffic on winter numbers.

(shaking head) Rather sucks this going away right before spring and all.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

We've always had a good number of views, just not a lot of interaction. When we had the gardening courses in the days of BN's online university, there were literally thousands of participants. I think the term "book club" scared some people away, and others who were looking for a traditional book club weren't served because you can't have a real book club with only one or two people taking part.

But I'm not upset about this - I think we'll just move the discussions to the blog comments instead of here. It makes sense, if you think about it, to have all the garden content in one place instead of two. 

It's sad because the board has been here several years and a lot of us have become friends. But that doesn't have to end - we'll just hang out at Garden Variety instead.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The lyrics might not match the sentiment, but the title fits!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks to all of you for making the Garden Book Club a fun place for so many years! Starting with the beginning of March, look for me at Mystery (as always) and at BN's GARDEN VARIETY blog. We'll be focusing our garden content there from now on.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Think Spring, everyone! I'll miss seeing you here but it's just a short hop over to Garden Variety. See you there!

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Garden-Variety/bg-p/Garden_Variety?cds2Pid=23223&linkid=15028...

thinkspring.jpg Think Spring image by redsraiders

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Becke..YOU ROCK,Did you now that? pen directed me here so I drove over,no traffic,and here I am  Love,Love the Song..Will Follow you wearever you are.. Good Luck...Susan Vtc  

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I love that song, too. My daughter was a huge Backstreet Boys fan, but she liked 'N Sync, too. I went to more concerts of both bands than I can count. And, um, then my daughter and I wrote this. She was 16 at the time, and I used a pen name that sounded younger than I really was (even then!).

'N Sync

becke_davis
0 Kudos

And here's another one for you!
KathyS
0 Kudos

Becke,

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with these poems of mine that sprout up as a result of your Garden board, now that it will be closed.  With all the good-byes this week,  I couldn't think of anything to say except, there will never be good-byes, because there will always be……...

A New Song

She walks in the field

She walks in the garden

As she looks on with pride

She knelt down and cried

There was joy, there was sorrow

With each day a new day

Something here, something gone

Something taken away

With each smile a new bud

With each bloom and new shower

As tears ebb and flow

Amongst the garden’s great bower

Gather the young ones

Take them to your breast

Gather these flowers

Raining tears lay to rest

She walks tall and proud

With songs in flowers birth

She walks in this cloud

She nurtures the earth

All nature sets forth

With touch kind and fair

These melodies course

Songbirds rise in the air

No more tears will loom

A new song to sing

Over gardens sweat bloom

A new day brings Spring

Kathy S.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Just a sugestion. How about a garden musings thread over in Wordsmithonia?

KathyS
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Just a sugestion. How about a garden musings thread over in Wordsmithonia?

TiggerBear, thanks for the suggestion.  I'll talk to you about this over there.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kathy, that is just beautiful. I copied and saved it so I'll always have it.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I can't promise how often I'll get there, but it's a great idea!

KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

becke_davis wrote:

I can't promise how often I'll get there, but it's a great idea!

Becke, I was asking our board what they thought about the idea of moving one of your threads: 

"Gardening:  In Your Own Words."  to the Kingdom.  TiggerBear and Ryan thought it a good idea. 

I was wondering how you felt about this?  Our board encompasses so many things, ideas, and thoughts, I can just picture taking this thread, and letting it live on in memory of your Garden Board, for posterity, [by adding to it] or for as long as our Kingdom lives.  Jon is the only one I can think of, at the moment, who could do this for us, if you agree.  I know things are busy for everyone, at this time, and was thinking that sometime in March, things might be slowing down enough to do this.  What are your feelings?

Kathy

becke_davis
0 Kudos

It's fine with me -- do you need me to move it? I don't think Paul would have a problem with that.

KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

becke_davis wrote:

It's fine with me -- do you need me to move it? I don't think Paul would have a problem with that.

Thanks, Becke!  I didn't know if you had the capabilities to move a thread to another board.  If you can, that would be great!  I haven't even figured out how to move or divide threads up within the Kingdom board, yet!  I tried, but I couldn't get it to work for me.  I'm obviously doing something wrong. 

I was wondering, too, if the title of the thread could be changed to -

Garden Musings:  In Your Own Words. 

xo

Kathy :smileyhappy:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kathy and all - I don't want to fool with anything unless Paul okays it. I'll check with him.

KathyS
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Kathy and all - I don't want to fool with anything unless Paul okays it. I'll check with him.

Whatever you want to do, Becke.  I was just asking you what you thought of the idea, asking your feelings..... not asking you to do it for me. I don't want to make a big deal out of this.  I was going to go to Jon, directly myself, and ask him to move it.  I take it Paul is in charge of WHATEVER, now?  I never know who's in charge of what these days.  I'm tired.  I'm going to go take a nap.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Kathy - I think it's a wonderful idea. Those are my feelings - I'm all for it. It would be lovely to preserve a piece of this board at Wordsmithonia. Thanks for suggesting it!

I can switch it, too, but I wasn't sure if there was some kind of policy about it with the board dissolving. I've asked Paul and if he's okay with it, I'll move it - if that's what you all want.

It's too gloomy today; we need something to brighten up the place.