Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Antonia-Amaris
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself! (Even if you've been here for awhile)

I probably should have introduced myself first before ranting on...

Well, My name is Anya (atleast that what everyone calls me), I started my first garden back in 1993. Was actually inspired by the oddest thing on valentines this boy had given me a rose which I had kept in my room for weeks and forgotten about. One day my grams was over visiting and asked where I had gotten it, I didnt think nothing of it and told her. I never seen my grams that shocked in her life before. She went over to it and pulled it out the vase, to her and my amazement it had grown roots. My grams said the oddest thing "You must have befriended a garden faerie, child". Now I know better than to believe in faeries but at the time I was still young and that amazed me  and I wanted to keep the fae happy so I  had my grams  take me to the gardening store and buy some soil and pebbles and cosmos seeds. When we got back home I went to work, there was an old sand box,  I used since the sand was nearly gone I dumped out the soil and drew six lines with the pebbles and planted the seeds, watered them and sat there staring waiting for a faerie :smileyindifferent: that was my ritual just about everyday after school  I talked to the the sand box full of dirt and each day added a little something I brought home to decorate it. When the seeds had started to sprout I had gotten more excited. Thinking "yay! now the fae will come", when I think back  on those times  they were the happiest times even though I never actually got to see a faerie :smileyfrustrated: each year on my birthday I look for a new plant, flower, herb or veggie I dont already have to add to my garden. even though my grams is gone now I still feel her near when I tend my garden. ( well I am teary eyed now )

becke_davis
0 Kudos

First, Anya is one of my favorite names and second, I LOVE the story of your grandmother and the "fae!" I've always been fascinated by garden faeries and the like.  You can read about the Case of the Cottingly Fairies here:

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/cooper.htm

The movie PHOTOGRAPHING FAIRIES is hard to find, but you can download here:

http://www.nyalines.com/watch-movie-online-/watch-Photographing-Fairies-movie-free-online/

And I loved this movie:

Fairy Tale: A True Story 

Fairy Houses and Beyond!  

Fairy Houses ... Everywhere!

Fairyopolis

How to Find Flower Fairies

The Complete Book of the Flower Fairies

Flower Fairies

Flower Fairies

Inspired Correspondent
lilio
0 Kudos

Hi, I am still trying to figure out which of these book clubs I would like to join - mostly all of them but one does have limits.

I am 68 and have read anything I could get my hands on most of my life.  I was fortunate to have a Mom who encouraged that.  When I was young she would get "comic books" call Illustrated Classics. I read Les Miserables before 4th grade! 

Dad, on the other hand, was and angler and a gardener.  We always had a large vegetable garden.  Loved those tomatoes warm from the sun, eaten with salt in hand with juiced running down my arm.  We also had a neighbor who raised several flower gardens.  She took me under her wing and taught me about watering, rooting coleus in glasses of water, and the names of her plants.

Now I plant something wherever life leads me.  Currently I am planning a flower garden in our front entryway.  last year I put in a culinary herb garden out our back door.  How delightful it was to run out back and clip something for use in our lunch or dinner.  I even managed to save some sage for Thanksgiving.  I am trying to keep my Rosemary alive in the house over winter - we will see.  I am anxious for Spring to see what survived.  We are in a new climate, so I am not sure what may regrow, although I am pretty certain about the oregano and sage.  I suspect many of the others are annuals.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Well, this is one you don't really have to join. While we feature new books every month, it's nothing like a traditional book club where you go through the book chapter by chapter. Some of the "book clubs" at B&N work that way, but I prefer this to be a place where people can come and talk about gardening and garden-related topics, not just the featured books. 

If you have questions about a garden-related topic -- say you need help identifying a plant or a plant problem -- we all jump in with suggestions. If you've visited an interesting garden or found a garden book or calendar you like, this is the place to share the details.

I'm glad you decided to visit with us!