Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourselves

Kathy - Thank you for the kind words! Sorry my visits have been short and sweet lately -- I'm on vacation and have periodic access to computers!
New User
houndgardner
0 Kudos

Hi All! I'm Tammy from New Mexico. I just moved here last spring from Michigan. I had a beautiful flower garden in Michigan and loved to swap and share with everyone. Some of my best friends are from plant swaps. But things are different here in New Mexico. Xeriscape gardening is about our only option. I'm at about 6200 feet above sea level, so that may be a factor in gardening too. I love gardening and I'd really love to learn more so I can have a beautiful garden here too. I'm also speaking to our 4H group in May on gardening. Any ideas would be welcome! I'm also working with the 5th grade class as they set up their new greenhouse. We have a speaker coming from Santa Fe to talk about journaling and their garden. More about me; I'm 39, been married for 14 years to Tim, we have 3 girls - ages 10, 10 and 11. I work with the local basset hound rescue when I can. I work as a substitute teacher, but trying to get a FT teaching position. And, I must say, one of my biggest passions is gardening!
Nice to meet you all!
Tammy
Cactus Tam
becke_davis
0 Kudos

What part of New Mexico do you live in? I have a bunch of relatives in Albuquerque and I've been there many times, Santa Fe, too. It's a beautiful part of the country but a whole lot different than Michigan.

If you are anywhere near Albuquerque, you should check out the Rio Grande Botanical Gardens there -- amazing!
Contributor
ncgabby13
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Shannon, and I don't know too much about gardening.  But it is starting to catch my interest, especially with the weather starting to warm up here in California.  I've always enjoyed driving around and looking at how some of the yards are landscaped.  I wanted to plant a few flowers or plants of my own outside and inside, and just wanted to see what ideas people had, and learn a little more on the different flowers.  Looking forward to chatting with everyone and learning more!

Shannon
becke_davis
0 Kudos

ncgabby13 wrote:
Hi, my name is Shannon, and I don't know too much about gardening.  But it is starting to catch my interest, especially with the weather starting to warm up here in California.  I've always enjoyed driving around and looking at how some of the yards are landscaped.  I wanted to plant a few flowers or plants of my own outside and inside, and just wanted to see what ideas people had, and learn a little more on the different flowers.  Looking forward to chatting with everyone and learning more!

Shannon

I know we have some other people on this board from California BUT not only is that a big state, but it is just packed with different climatic areas.  The bay area is very different from the Sierras, which are very different from the southernmost parts of the state, which are very different from...you get the idea.

So, tell us about the part of the state you live in.  Then I'll try to give you some suggestions, and I'm sure others on the board will be able to give you some good ideas, too.
Contributor
ncgabby13
0 Kudos

I live in Monterey, so I think we're in the bay area.  Thanks so much!

Shannon
becke_davis
0 Kudos

ncgabby13 wrote:
I live in Monterey, so I think we're in the bay area.  Thanks so much!

Shannon

Here are some links that might be helpful, just click on them:

This is a website for California gardeners, just watch for references to your area:

This is a blog by a Bay area gardener:

This one is about gardening in the Bay area with the intent of attracting butterflies:

This is a Yahoo search list with lots of links to California and Bay area gardening links:

Be sure to let me know if you are looking for help with any specific gardening question or problem, too.  I'd be glad to help and I'm sure others on the board would be, too.  We don't always have a lot of activity on this board but we have a lot of "lurkers" -- people who read the posts without commenting themselves.  We might have some Bay area people out there.
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Greetings fellow plant enthusiasts! I should have joined this thread long ago! I've been itching to get my hands on a piece of land in order to express my creative side through green growing things. Finally that dream has become a possibility. I have pretty much a blank slate to work with (what could be more ideal?) and eagerly waiting for the danger of frost to pass in my area so I can start planting like crazy! I do have one vegetable bed (peas, spinach, green onions, radishes--cold weather stuff) already growing and I've been digging up new beds for a food garden and some flower gardens right around the house. I like the concept of outdoor living spaces, intriguing garden paths, and such. I tend to be anti-lawn with flower bed islands which is so typical in my area. I will have to concede at least one modest plot of lawn so my kids will have a space to run around in but for the most part I want a yard that expresses what I love (and what will grow in Zones 4-5). Right now we're just renting but we have an option to buy on the property and are trying to get that tied up. I love learning new things, welcome advice and gardening tips, and look forward to hearing about other areas of the country too!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

We rented awhile when we were between transfers, but that didn't stop me.  I persuaded the landlord to give us a break on the rent if I relandscaped for him.  I worked for a landscaping company and they cut me a deal, let me hire a few of the guys on their off day to help me with B&B tree planting.  I drove by that house recently and the trees we put in were all in bloom -- it looked gorgeous!  I figure it doesn't matter who owns the place -- if you're living in it, why not make it as pretty as possible.  Good luck with your place!
Contributor
kakhi
0 Kudos

Hi, I am Marilyn in northern Illinois. 

Becke, I took one of your online classes several years ago and I enjoyed it so much.  I even have one of your books from that class.  I am not used to this different format but thought I would give this a try.

We have made some progress.  We are using a lot of native plants and we are involved with a native plants group.  I also work with a land conservation group and I helped with prairie tours in July.

I never did get around to painting my front door.  I am working part time now and I have several other activities, so maybe I will get to it next year. 

Our Japanese Maple died this past year and we have ordered a native shrub to put in its place.  The Japanesse Maple just don't last this far north it seems. 

Last year we found a native orchid in our woods.  They are rather small and just beautiful, what a treasure.  We do cage it so deer and other critters don't eat it.

We do have a small pond with gold fish and enjoy that. 

And my husband is having a nice garden shed built so we will have one place for all the yard and garden tools and supplies and get it out of the garage. 

Last year we had some maple trees planted and they are a nice addition to our yard especially when they provide some shade and then color in the fall.

Nice to see you are still on the book club site.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

kakhi wrote:

Hi, I am Marilyn in northern Illinois. 

Becke, I took one of your online classes several years ago and I enjoyed it so much.  I even have one of your books from that class.  I am not used to this different format but thought I would give this a try.

We have made some progress.  We are using a lot of native plants and we are involved with a native plants group.  I also work with a land conservation group and I helped with prairie tours in July.

I never did get around to painting my front door.  I am working part time now and I have several other activities, so maybe I will get to it next year. 

Our Japanese Maple died this past year and we have ordered a native shrub to put in its place.  The Japanesse Maple just don't last this far north it seems. 

Last year we found a native orchid in our woods.  They are rather small and just beautiful, what a treasure.  We do cage it so deer and other critters don't eat it.

We do have a small pond with gold fish and enjoy that. 

And my husband is having a nice garden shed built so we will have one place for all the yard and garden tools and supplies and get it out of the garage. 

Last year we had some maple trees planted and they are a nice addition to our yard especially when they provide some shade and then color in the fall.

Nice to see you are still on the book club site.

Marilyn -- Hi! Great to hear from you!  It's sad about your Japanese maple -- they can even be iffy here in Cincinnati.  Last time I was in Milwaukee I was amazed to see lots of Japanese maples flourishing there.  Maybe it's some odd lake-effect thing, because they have to be in a pretty protected spot to survive in the Chicago area.  I had a 'Bloodgood' Japanese maple when I lived in New Jersey and it thrived there.

That is so cool about the native orchid!  I get a lot of jewelweed (a native form of impatiens) at the far edge of my backyard, which backs onto a big field.  I also fight a constant battle with poison ivy growing around that back fence, and I've since found that where you find poison ivy, you frequently find jewelweed, which is considered an antidote to the poison ivy toxin.  Strange how that works.

You are in the perfect place to find out about prairie gardening.  Not only are some of the best-known experts in your area (Illinois and Wisconsin) but there are all kinds of prairie restoration projects going on across the state.  I am still involved with the Illinois Landscape Contractors Association and I'm often asked to write about native plants.  Just wrote about the American Beauties native plant program this month, in fact.  If you are ever in St. Charles, check these plants out at Midwest Groundcovers.  Tell Kevin McGowen I sent you -- he's the person in charge of the program, and he's the one I interviewed.

Contributor
kakhi
0 Kudos

We are getting some kind of native dogwood to replace the Japanese maple.  The native plants seem to do well here.  My husband plants a lot of native plants and seeds and we are finally getting some prairie areas in bloom with different plants.  It is great.  And he works at improving our wooded areas.  Of course the ground hogs and deer create another gardening challenge that never ends.

I did the prairie tours at the Nygren Wetlands.  It is over 700 acres of restored prairie and Savannah.  When I saw that place in bloom I was hooked.  It is just amazing.  We even go out there in the snow and look for animal tracks.

I also do some work with the Wild Ones in this area.  One of the best things they do is have show me - help me visits to other members yards to see their native plants or help them learn what to do to use the right native plants.  It really helps to see how people use the different natives.

This past year is the first year here that we have had enough rain.  It has been dry for years.  And we do have Jewelweed with I love and we do have a lot of poison ivy the past two years.  I always forget about it and start pulling weeds and I have been OK so far.  I will have to look into the Jewelweed as an antidote.  We might need it sometime.

One thing we added in the past two years is a butterfly garden.  We really enjoy it and it does attract the butterflies.  Our granddaughter just loves it and she takes every caterpillar she finds to the garden.

I am not quite used to the book clubs newer format.  I enjoyed the classes so much before the change to this new format and I did many of them for about a year.  I was a little isolated then and I had the time.  And I enjoyed the two gardening classes with you.  It was a very nice group participating too.  I will have to keep this in mind with some gardening questions.  I am still trying to get my husband to get someone to landscape the front of our house.  He sort of works everywhere else in the yard.

It was so nice to hear from you.  Marilyn

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Marilyn - I'm always around if you have gardening questions.  If I can't answer them, I'll find someone who can.

I love butterfly gardening -- just wrote an article about it for Illinois newspapers a month or so ago.  You might have seen it in Pioneer Press or the Daily Herald.  If you ever see a magazine called Landscape Illinois, I'm the senior writer for that one, too.

Last year I met a couple of butterfly experts from Kentucky, a brother and sister who wrote a great book about it:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Life-Cycles-of-Butterflies/Judy-Burris/e/9781580176170/?itm=5&b...

It's always great to hear from you -- I hope you get a chance to check in more often!