Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis

Meet Your Moderator: Becke Davis

It occurs to me that there are newbies who might not have a clue who they are talking to.  I met some of you several years ago when I was teaching garden courses at Barnes and Noble's Online University.

I've written five garden books, two of which were issued in paperback, too.  I'm the senior writer for The Landscape Contractor magazine and Landscape Illinois, both published by the Illinois Landscape Contractors Association.  Up until recently, my monthly garden tips appeared in many newspapers across the state of Illinois.

Reading that, you may be surprised that I live in Cincinnati, OH and have done for many years (I am a native Chicagoan, however).  I've worked with the Cincinnati Flower Show for about thirteen years -- working on their Ask the Experts panels, giving lectures/seminars and writing for their magazine.  I also write for the Buckeye magazine, published by the Ohio Nursery and Landscape Association, of which I am a member.  I've been a member of Garden Writers Association for many years, and over the years I've also belonged to the Conifer, Hosta and Daylily Societies.  I currently belong to the Landscape Plant Development Center, which focuses on developing hardy plants for cold climates.

I've been writing garden and landscape articles for about 16 years, with well over 1,000 articles published in national magazines for the landscape trade and gardening public, as well as regional magazines and newspapers.  This year, in addition to the above-mentioned publications, I had a cover story in the national magazine, American Nurseryman, and articles in the Tree Care Association Magazine, the Daily Herald, the Cincinnati Flower Show magazine and more.

My books are currently out of print but can be found used.  This link will show you the titles:

http://www.illinoisauthors.org/authors/Becke_(Rebecca)_Gail_Davis

I'd be happy to answer your gardening questions, questions or problems with specific plants, or discuss any landscape or plant-related topics.  Visit my blog, too:

http://the-garden-muse.blogspot.com/ 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Meet Your Moderator: Becke Davis

I used to write and teach garden courses for Barnes and Noble's online university.  If you used to participate in those classes, be sure to introduce yourself!
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
I used to write and teach garden courses for Barnes and Noble's online university.  If you used to participate in those classes, be sure to introduce yourself!
:smileyvery-happy:  Nope, never participated in your garden classes when you were on B&NU.  So, I guess I won't introduce myself! LOL
becke_davis
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

becke_davis wrote:
:smileyvery-happy:  Nope, never participated in your garden classes when you were on B&NU.  So, I guess I won't introduce myself! LOL
Hmm. Let me think about this. Do I still need an introduction from you? 
 I think not. On the other hand, I did enjoy your post about your background today. There's always something new for friends to share! 

Author
JeanneAdamsAKADuchesse
0 Kudos

Hey Becke!  I didn't take a class with you either.  Grins.  However, you write great blog posts, so....Grins.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JeanneAdamsAKADuchesse wrote:
Hey Becke!  I didn't take a class with you either.  Grins.  However, you write great blog posts, so....Grins.
And you write great romantic suspense novels! My blog is called Garden Variety, you can find it if you browse the book club list.
Jeanne also blogs with the Romance Bandits, and I had the pleasure of meeting her last week at the RWA convention in Washington, DC! 
 I want to thank Jeanne for introducing me to next month's featured author, Ellen Dugan. I'll introduce her "officially" soon, but here's a sneak preview for those of you reading this thread: 
Garden Witch's Herbal   

Message Edited by becke_davis on 07-23-2009 12:55 PM
Author
Ellen_Dugan
0 Kudos

Hi becke,

Look forward to blogging in August!

Blessed be, Ellen Dugan

www.ellendugan.com

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hurray! So happy to see that you are able to post!

It will be so nice to have another author visit with us. Next weekend, when the August featured books go up, I'll be adding links to Ellen's website, bio, and articles, interviews, blogs -- all kinds of things you might be interested in about Ellen and her books. Check back then.

Author
Ellen_Dugan
0 Kudos

Me too! This will be fun!

Blessed be, Ellen Dugan

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

No, I didn't enrol in them either Becke so I won't introduce myself:smileyvery-happy:.  You have a very impressive CV though, so I now wish I had enrolled.

KathyS wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The classes were a lot of fun, Choisya, and I was just curious how many people here had taken part. It was wild -- we had participants from New Zealand, from Dubai, from Australia, Italy, Hong Kong, Ireland -- it was like a little United Nations! 
Author
JeanneAdamsAKADuchesse
0 Kudos

Woot!  Ellen was able to post!  How fun!  :smileyembarrassed:  Becke will you be interviewing Ellen here on this blog?
becke_davis
0 Kudos

This is the place, but Ellen will have a thread all to herself. I'll post it, with links to her bio, etc., over the weekend, when the August Featured Book icons come up. And I'll be posting links to you, too, on the Mystery Board, Jeanne!

To our garden board followers, I have to thank Jeanne for recommending Ellen's book as a feature. I'm looking forward to it! 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I just started a new MySpace page under my real name, Becke Davis (I already have one under my pen name) so I can talk about Barnes and Noble's book clubs and books, books, books. I have nooooo friends there, so come keep me company: http://www.myspace.com/492379785
becke_davis

Re: The Garden Book Club

I've been moderating the Garden Book Club for a long time now, and it feels like home to me. I picture it as a summerhouse surrounded by gardens, and we're all sitting around sipping tea, munching on biscuits/cookies or sampling something Tigger has made for us. Some of you may be drinking coffee -- or even umbrella drinks -- and that's fine, too. When the weather is fine, we move out chairs out into the garden. We have cut flowers on the table and pretty chintz-patterned china on the crisp linen tablecloth. And we all have books spilling out of our garden totes, along with our trowels and tools.

Here's what the Garden Book Club looks like in my mind:

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I've been moderating the Garden Book Club for a long time now, and it feels like home to me. I picture it as a summerhouse surrounded by gardens, and we're all sitting around sipping tea, munching on biscuits/cookies or sampling something Tigger has made for us. Some of you may be drinking coffee -- or even umbrella drinks -- and that's fine, too. When the weather is fine, we move out chairs out into the garden. We have cut flowers on the table and pretty chintz-patterned china on the crisp linen tablecloth. And we all have books spilling out of our garden totes, along with our trowels and tools.

Love the photos. But what ever is the chandoleer hanging from?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

A tree, maybe? Or one of those curved poles you can put a hanging basket on?
KathyS
0 Kudos

That's beautiful, Becke.

becke_davis wrote:

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

What a delightful vision Becke - I'll be right there!
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Becke, I love it.

The pastel chairs remind me of my first years in this country. Newly married, little money. We went to garage sales, bought old chairs; I stripped and painted them. On Sundays we had breakfast on the patio, tablecloth and china and all. The chairs were a great hit with everybody.  

KathyS wrote:

That's beautiful, Becke.

becke_davis wrote: