Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: The Garden Book Club

I love that mix and match look!
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

This reminds me of dinnerware I used to make.  I'd make a set of 6, everything match, precisely.  Then at a sale, someone would want to break the sets up...I'd sell them whatever they wanted.  In the end I ended up with a lot of odd pieces, nothing matched.  I went to lunch at a friends house, and she served everyone on miss-matched plates...she did it on purpose, liking the randomness of it with the eclectic look.  So, from then on I don't mind serving friends and family with odd pieces of dinnerware that I've made.  It's kind of fun, making everyone feel special.  :smileyhappy:
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I love that idea, Kathy! My sister-in-law collects Fiestaware, and I always think it's fun the way all of her table settings are a mix and match of colors.

Can you post pictures of the pieces you made? You do such beautiful work!

I know these books aren't garden topics, but they relate to what I was thinking of when I posted the pictures:

Shabby Chic   Rachel Ashwell's Shabby Chic Treasure Hunting and Decorating Guide   Junk Beautiful Outdoor Edition  Creating Outdoor Rooms   The Outdoor Living Room   Outdoor Rooms   Outdoor Spaces (Design Is in the Details Series)   Victoria The Essential Tea Companion  

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

I wish I could.  I can send pictures to people, even though it takes forever on my dial-up, but I can't figure out how to get pictures to here, on B&N.  I'm still figuring out facebook.  Maybe once I get something posted there, you'll be able to see my stuff then.  I don't even have a picture of me up, yet!  I may have to put pictures on a disc, and take it to my daughter's work, and have her upload it to facebook for me.  All of my dinnerware pictures were taken with a conventional camera, and I've got a photo album of all of my work.  The things I've made over the last two years, were taken with a digital, and are in my computer.  I'll send you a really cool picture I took of Gnorme, beside a lit candle....that was the only lighting.....really weird!

becke_davis wrote:

I love that idea, Kathy! My sister-in-law collects Fiestaware, and I always think it's fun the way all of her table settings are a mix and match of colors.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Meet Your Moderator: Becke Davis

Just put together a website, since a couple people have asked for my contact information, etc. Right now there is a sort of holding pattern at my domain, www.beckedavis.com. The website can be viewed here right now: http://site.beckedavis.com/

but within a day or two it should replace the holding pattern. Assuming I set it up right, that is.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

It seems more of an advert for B&N than for your goodself Becke.  We are lucky indeed to have such an experienced gardener here and I salute your many achievements!:smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Sometimes I find I can just copy andf paste pics from images on the web, as with the bouquet for Becke.  Why don't you do what I have done Kathy and set up a http://www.photobox.co.uk/ or http://www.webshots.com/ picture gallery that we can all link into via a password?  I would just love to see your work on an ongoing basis. 

KathyS wrote:

I wish I could.  I can send pictures to people, even though it takes forever on my dial-up, but I can't figure out how to get pictures to here, on B&N.  I'm still figuring out facebook.  Maybe once I get something posted there, you'll be able to see my stuff then.  I don't even have a picture of me up, yet!  I may have to put pictures on a disc, and take it to my daughter's work, and have her upload it to facebook for me.  All of my dinnerware pictures were taken with a conventional camera, and I've got a photo album of all of my work.  The things I've made over the last two years, were taken with a digital, and are in my computer.  I'll send you a really cool picture I took of Gnorme, beside a lit candle....that was the only lighting.....really weird!

becke_davis wrote:

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

When my four kids were young and refusing to help with the washing up, I bought a set of 'Harlequin' dishes in five colours and made everyone responsible for washing up their own dishes.  I then bought five sets of different coloured bed linen and made them responsible for making their own beds.  Pretty well everything in the house became colour-coded and it made for far less quarrels over possessions and who would do what. I was a hard taskmaster:smileyvery-happy:

KathyS wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

This reminds me of dinnerware I used to make.  I'd make a set of 6, everything match, precisely.  Then at a sale, someone would want to break the sets up...I'd sell them whatever they wanted.  In the end I ended up with a lot of odd pieces, nothing matched.  I went to lunch at a friends house, and she served everyone on miss-matched plates...she did it on purpose, liking the randomness of it with the eclectic look.  So, from then on I don't mind serving friends and family with odd pieces of dinnerware that I've made.  It's kind of fun, making everyone feel special.  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Oh Becke how lovely - thankyou!  Those chair settings reminded me of 4 paintings of furniture I have by an artist whose name I have forgotten. Here is a link to them, password Choisya.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/209283449

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Oooh, lovely, Choisya -- Stargazer lilies! They are gorgeous!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:

When my four kids were young and refusing to help with the washing up, I bought a set of 'Harlequin' dishes in five colours and made everyone responsible for washing up their own dishes.  I then bought five sets of different coloured bed linen and made them responsible for making their own beds.  Pretty well everything in the house became colour-coded and it made for far less quarrels over possessions and who would do what. I was a hard taskmaster:smileyvery-happy:

KathyS wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

What a great idea, Choisya! I'm the oldest of five kids, and got stuck with the washing up quite a bit. I like your idea a lot better!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:

Oh Becke how lovely - thankyou!  Those chair settings reminded me of 4 paintings of furniture I have by an artist whose name I have forgotten. Here is a link to them, password Choisya.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/209283449

I haven't gone there yet, Choisya -- I'm figuring out how to add photos to the website!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'll be at the Mystery Writers' convention, Bouchercon, in Indianapolis for the rest of the week -- I'll have my computer, but I won't be checking in quite as often. I know you all will welcome new visitors and help with questions while I'm gone. I hope some of you will post Thoughts for the Day if I don't get a chance to do that.

Have a great week!