becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: NEW GARDEN BLOG!

A Hint of Mint in the Garden is the new blog at Garden Variety: http://tiny.cc/4hHdv 
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Are B&N Blogs now replacing the book clubs Becke?:smileysad:   They do not appeal to me at all, sorry.  
becke_davis
0 Kudos

No, the blogs are in addition to the book clubs -- they provide a way to address specific topics without cluttering up the book club boards. And some people feel the blogs are more user-friendly for people who want to comment.
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

I don't like the blogs at all. They feel unwieldy. Especially "Unabashedly Bookish." Too much information in one space. The book clubs give a much better overview which enables me to be selective in my reading. I know, the bottom line is book sales and to that end various methods of disseminating information have to be explored.
becke_davis wrote:
No, the blogs are in addition to the book clubs -- they provide a way to address specific topics without cluttering up the book club boards. And some people feel the blogs are more user-friendly for people who want to comment.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Sunltcloud wrote:
I don't like the blogs at all. They feel unwieldy. Especially "Unabashedly Bookish." Too much information in one space. The book clubs give a much better overview which enables me to be selective in my reading. I know, the bottom line is book sales and to that end various methods of disseminating information have to be explored.
becke_davis wrote:

For me the Blogs are ok. But I'll agree the organization kinda bites. It's too hard just to review new coments, as it stands you have to scroll down and down and... to find them. And on UB since they roll off, but don't die; a new post to an old one is impossible to find.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I think they are kind of experimental right now -- the format may change.
KathyS
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I think I've already voiced my opinion of blogs, being more commentary than conversational, [to cold] - I do agree with TiggerBear...the format bites on UB.  Too many bloggers/writers/articles[categories] every week in one space, and too much wasted space on the page....where a section could be added to show a NEW post to an old article, but doesn't.

I read little to none of the blogs, anymore.  ....and to post to an old blog, foget it - It's like writing a letter to the editor - 

You hope it gets there, hoping it gets read.  

It gets filed in the circular file, instead.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

My new blog is up at B&N's GARDEN VARIETY: Their Names Live on in Flowers http://tiny.cc/MoBx4
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I read little to none of the blogs, anymore.  ....and to post to an old blog, foget it - It's like writing a letter to the editor - 

I agree Kathy.  And it also seems to make more work for the Moderators (who are, I think, unpaid) who appear to be spending less time on their bookclubs and more on Blogs, Facebook and Twitter:smileysad::smileysad:  We have found in the past that the input of Moderators to the bookclubs is essential if they are to 'flow'. And some Moderators are (like Becke) highly qualified so it seems it a great shame not to have their regular input in book discussions.  'Something's gotta give' and I think it is the bookclubs which are suffering  - but perhaps it has been decreed that it should be so.       

KathyS wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

I think I've already voiced my opinion of blogs, being more commentary than conversational, [to cold] - I do agree with TiggerBear...the format bites on UB.  Too many bloggers/writers/articles[categories] every week in one space, and too much wasted space on the page....where a section could be added to show a NEW post to an old article, but doesn't.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Choisya,

I'll email.

Choisya wrote:

I agree Kathy.  And it also seems to make more work for the Moderators (who are, I think, unpaid) who appear to be spending less time on their bookclubs and more on Blogs, Facebook and Twitter:smileysad::smileysad:  We have found in the past that the input of Moderators to the bookclubs is essential if they are to 'flow'. And some Moderators are (like Becke) highly qualified so it seems it a great shame not to have their regular input in book discussions.  'Something's gotta give' and I think it is the bookclubs which are suffering  - but perhaps it has been decreed that it should be so.       

KathyS wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Choisya,

I'll email.

Choisya wrote:

KathyS wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

You know I'm begining to only greatly dislike one of the formats, twitter. Not because I find it a dogerel of text speak, and there for anoying. But because for every site it links to, it drags on. Twitter has caused more site crashes, slowdowns, freezes than any subprogram I've ever encountered.Truthfully it such a new program that frankly I know for a fact they didn't bug test before market. Because the designers anounced the fact, day 2 of course. Every techy I know is b*tching in the direction of it's 2 inventors. Twitter doesn't pay for the down time other sites have to fix because of it's weaknesses. No I'm not talking increased use. That fiasco thursday with the all day twitter hack, was a techy trying to point out the massive programing holes it has. It's the programing equivalent to putting the crown jewels in this new spiffy safe and then leaving the safe door open. The emperor has new clothes and wants us all to type with our thumbs.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I only really use Twitter to post updates about what's happening at B&N. I don't see how people can get addicted to Twitter, but Facebook is another matter!
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I have been onto Twitter once, to look for something my son had pointed out.  I registered, didn't find the entry and logged out.  Subsequently I had half a dozen emails from people who said they were 'following' me, even though I had not posted a thing!!   I found this very intrusive and rather scary so I wrote a strong email to Twitter asking them to remove all traces of my registration and to stop any more unwanted emails forthwith.  Fortunately, I had registered from a 'spare' email address which I use so I also deleted that.  This, to me, showed how very mindless Twitter is and I want nothing further to do with it.      

becke_davis wrote:
I only really use Twitter to post updates about what's happening at B&N. I don't see how people can get addicted to Twitter, but Facebook is another matter!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Today's blog topic is Extreme Hostas:  http://tiny.cc/Ud5DV 
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I am puzzled:smileysurprised:   Why are these posts in Blogs and not part of the Gardening Book Club?  The Blogs also seem more like endless book reviews than launching points for discussion. This bookclub seems to have fewer and fewer posts about gardening and I am ceasing to find it interesting from that p.o.v.:smileysad:
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
I am puzzled:smileysurprised:   Why are these posts in Blogs and not part of the Gardening Book Club?  The Blogs also seem more like endless book reviews than launching points for discussion. This bookclub seems to have fewer and fewer posts about gardening and I am ceasing to find it interesting from that p.o.v.:smileysad:
The powers-that-be have found that there's a different audience for the blogs than for the book clubs. This is why you now see some duplication in the blog topics and what is being discussed at the book clubs.
 For instance, one of our featured books for September is Amy Stewart's WICKED PLANTS. Amy has written several books, including last year's popular FLOWER CONFIDENTIAL. She will be visiting with us here, telling us about herself, her books, and responding to your questions and comments. But she is also going to do an interview that will appear on the Garden Variety blog.
I'm making an effort to bring in some garden book authors so we get a different perspective here from time to time. If any of you have books/authors you'd like me to feature, tell me about them and I'll see what I can do.
Also, if there are garden topics you'd like to discuss, you can start a thread and kick it off, or send me a personal message if you'd rather have me get the discussion going.
If there's a blog topic you'd like to discuss here, we can do that, too -- the blogs and book clubs are meant to interact, which is why I post the blog updates here.
 Choisya, is there a garden topic you'd like to discuss, or are you looking for ideas -- plants, themes, solutions to garden problems? I'd be glad to address any issue you'd like. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

More blog posts: 

Prune Away Problems: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Garden-Variety/Prune-Away-Problems/ba-p/384606

Bulb-ilicious!: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Garden-Variety/Bulb-ilicious/ba-p/380410

Watch for an interview with Amy Stewart that will be posted soon!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Tigger and I have been talking over at Garden Variety, where my interview with Amy Stewart was posted: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Garden-Variety/If-Plants-Could-Kill/ba-p/386448

becke_davis
0 Kudos

New blog is up at GARDEN VARIETY:   http://tiny.cc/CYL4b