Re: NEW GARDEN BLOG!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

New post, inspired by our "Thought for the Day" thread: Appreciating Autumn 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Garden-Variety/Appreciating-Autumn/ba-p/396556

becke_davis
0 Kudos
becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Digging Into Murder

This thread contains messages which haven't been read by a moderator
by Moderator becke_davis 2 hours ago - last edited 2 hours ago

... in gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death ... - Sam Llewelyn

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Garden-Variety/Digging-Into-Murder/ba-p/408518

Source: bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com
Gardening is a deceptively gentle pursuit:we ruthlessly weed out unwanted invaders, deadhead with gusto, and wield the glistening blades of our pruners without remorse. If cold-blooded murder doesn’t fit with your image of rose-c

Source: bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com
In a recent post, I mentioned a few garden mysteries that I'd discovered. Murder and mystery often go together—it makes me think of turning over a rock and finding all kinds of nasty things hiding there. Agatha Christie’s e

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Making a Fall Flower Arrangement

by Administrator Kristin_Z 

Check out this great how-to post at Garden Variety by the fabulous Kristin. (She just celebrated her birthday, so you might surprise her with birthday greetings while you're there.)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Friday Five: Serenity Gardens

Healing gardens, Zen gardens, spiritual gardens, meditation gardens, Japanese gardens—there are many names for these serene spaces, but all offer respite from the hectic pace of daily life. Here are five books to help you create your own garden retreat. 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Garden-Variety/Friday-Five-Serenity-Gardens/ba-p/410512

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Gardens of Words

by Moderator becke_davis 31 minutes ago - last edited 29 minutes ago

Writing and gardening are both solitary obsessions, but most gardeners will talk a blue streak about their favorite hobby. It’s only natural that some prolific gardeners have produced words as prolifically as blossoms.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Garden-Variety/Gardens-of-Words/ba-p/413840

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Friday Five: The English Garden

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Garden-Variety/Friday-Five-The-English-Garden/ba-p/414811

It’s a British invasion! And it’s been going on for centuries. England’s mild climate was ideal for gardening, and despite our appreciation of French and Italian gardens, England holds the garden crown. How did it all begin?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Influential American Landscape Designers

Many beautiful outdoor spaces—golf courses, public parks and gardens, even cemeteries—can seem like natural oases born out of thin air, but they're actually carefully planned out and tended to by experts. It's very interesting to learn about the artists behind these spaces and it can provide endless inspiration for your own landscaping projects.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The New Garden Classics

Merriam-Webster defines “classic” as “serving as a standard of excellence: of recognized value.” These modern gardening classics reflect a shift in attitude toward our relationship with nature. 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Garden-Variety/The-New-Garden-Classics/ba-p/416441

becke_davis
0 Kudos

O Christmas Tree

“O Christmas Tree! O Christmas Tree! Thy leaves are so unchanging; Not only green when summer's here, But also when 'tis cold and drear.” Whether you prefer real or fake, it’s just not Christmas without a tree. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Christmas Trees: The Real Deal

I bet you thought Christmas trees date back to Europe a couple hundred years ago—I know I did. I was surprised to learn how long trees have been part of our festivities, and not just the familiar Christian holiday.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Deck the Halls

‘Tis the season to go wild with holiday trimmings—be sure to include a taste of the outdoors in your decor.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

A Touch of Winter Magic

December is the month of Winter Solstice and the ancient Yule holiday (not to be confused with Christmas). I thought this would be a good time to look at myth, magic, and legends that relate to our plants and gardens. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]