Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

NEW GARDEN BLOG!

Starting tomorrow, I will be writing a new garden blog for BN.com.  It isn't "up" yet, but I believe it will be posted with the other blogs at Unabashedly Bookish.  I will be posting on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays.  I'll let you know as soon as the link is ready!
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: NEW GARDEN BLOG!

becke_davis wrote:
Starting tomorrow, I will be writing a new garden blog for BN.com.  It isn't "up" yet, but I believe it will be posted with the other blogs at Unabashedly Bookish.  I will be posting on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays.  I'll let you know as soon as the link is ready!

Will they be folding this board?
becke_davis
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Not at all.  The blogs will be in addition to this board, so we can have more interactive conversations and more detailed, informative posts.  Think of it as a tie-in, like Michelle Buonfiglia's blog ties in to the Romantic Reads board.

KathyS
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

KathyS wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Not at all.  The blogs will be in addition to this board, so we can have more interactive conversations and more detailed, informative posts.  Think of it as a tie-in, like Michelle Buonfiglia's blog ties in to the Romantic Reads board.

Good!  You know how I feel about blogs!  I'll post on them, but I'm not happy when I do.

Speaking of posting.  I just posted a long reply to Par4course, and my post was timed out!  AUTHENTICATION FAILED!  Lost it all! 

When I spend my time giving a reply to someone, and then have it lost!  Grrr, I get angry! That's the second time that's happened to me this week.  It seemed I had a longer period of time to write, up until this week.  Why do I have the feeling they've changed the amount of time you have, again?  Looks like its back to the way it was when they first started these boards.  

Just had to vent this!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

It drives me crazy when that happens.  Not sure if that is BN.com or your browser.  I used to use Mozilla Firefox and was constantly getting timed out.  I switched to Google Chrome and it's a LOT faster.  Still some glitches with it, but I hardly ever get timed out anymore.
KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

becke_davis wrote:
It drives me crazy when that happens.  Not sure if that is BN.com or your browser.  I used to use Mozilla Firefox and was constantly getting timed out.  I switched to Google Chrome and it's a LOT faster.  Still some glitches with it, but I hardly ever get timed out anymore.

Nothing has changed on my end.  When they first created these boards, we only had a short time to post...we were all complaining, and having to copy our posts [before we posted] just incase we'd lose them.  Then recently, I noticed I was given a longer period of time to post...almost as if there were no time limits...I could walk away from my computer, and come back to it five or ten minutes later, and still be able to finish what I was writing, and post it.  Now, it's back to a short few minutes.  It can't be on my end.  but, I'm tired of complaining.
Message Edited by KathyS on 05-13-2009 10:53 PM
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I don't know about time limits on writing a post.  I've been timed out a few times, but not lately.  I HAVE been timed out if I open this page in one tab, and start working in another tab, which I do frequently.  (Like right now, I'm working on a magazine assignment, checking in here when I need a change of pace.)  I'll come back and have to sign in all over again.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Copy your posts!

If I am composing a difficult post, especially one with several links, I do it in Word Notepad and then copy and paste it to B&N.  In any event, I think it is always safest to copy a post before hitting the 'Submit' button then you can paste it if anything goes amiss.   Seeing the words 'Authentication Failed' after you have spent a long time thinking and composing something is very upsetting so not worth risking:smileysad:.   

becke_davis wrote:
I don't know about time limits on writing a post.  I've been timed out a few times, but not lately.  I HAVE been timed out if I open this page in one tab, and start working in another tab, which I do frequently.  (Like right now, I'm working on a magazine assignment, checking in here when I need a change of pace.)  I'll come back and have to sign in all over again.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:

If I am composing a difficult post, especially one with several links, I do it in Word Notepad and then copy and paste it to B&N.  In any event, I think it is always safest to copy a post before hitting the 'Submit' button then you can paste it if anything goes amiss.   Seeing the words 'Authentication Failed' after you have spent a long time thinking and composing something is very upsetting so not worth risking:smileysad:.   

becke_davis wrote:

Good suggestion, Choisya.  That's usually where I lose a post -- when I'm letting it sit, half-written, while I look for links.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

The blog will be called Garden Variety. I thought it would be with Unabashedly Bookish, but apparently not. I'll give you a heads-up when it goes live.
KathyS
0 Kudos

Garden Variety - Blog

becke_davis wrote:
The blog will be called Garden Variety. I thought it would be with Unabashedly Bookish, but apparently not. I'll give you a heads-up when it goes live.

Going live, huh?  I guess that's better than the alternative... :smileyhappy:

That title is pretty ambiguous.  I'm just a garden variety homo sapien! Ha!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Garden Variety - Blog

I think they chose a title that was purposely ambiguous, because we'll be covering a lot of different topics.
KathyS
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
I think they chose a title that was purposely ambiguous, because we'll be covering a lot of different topics.

Just teasing.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I know, but just in case...
becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: NEW GARDEN BLOG - the gnomes are baaaaccckkk!

[ Edited ]

Blog of the day: GNOME & GARDEN, or as I call it, Have Gnome, Will Travel.

http://tiny.cc/1dfhn

Message Edited by becke_davis on 07-13-2009 03:37 PM
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Two new blog posts are up at GARDEN VARIETY - stop in and tell me WHAT FLOWER ARE YOU? There is also a blog about growing a green thumb. Hope to see you there!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

The latest blogs are Growing Up Green and A Taste of the Tropics. There should be a new blog post up soon, too. Stop by and comment!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Black Magic with a Metallic Twist -- new blog at Barnes & Noble's GARDEN VARIETY: http://tiny.cc/04eGh