Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Bondo advice

KathyS wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

KathyS wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Oh Bondo's cool. I've sculpted with it. You can even tint it.

That's neat, TB,

Can you tell me a little about your sculptures, and how you used the Bondo?  Where did you purchase the Bondo...and what type of tint did you use?

K.

Well it's been a few years. So you're going to have to look for which brand they sell in your neck of the woods nowadays. It had bondo in red letters on a white label. I bought it at the hardware store, check with HomeDepot.

I was attaching bondo animals to wood for one. Smoke wisps to a wall once. I did a braille sculpture with it once. Anytime I wanted a waterproof finished product, I used it. Permaclay requires (or at least it did) heat to water set and that makes it unfeasible in many situations.

Acrylic paint and also powered pigment (you know the stuff you add alcohol, water, or egg to). It's kinda like when you mix in way too much gesso. A whitish mildly gray dilution. It doesn't like oils at all. Colored chalks dilute too much. Inks won't mix proper. A group of us played around with it a lot.

Best advice follow the package directions and WORK QUICK. It always sets before you think it will (and that was in high humidity). Though once you get used to it it'll seem like it takes too long to set. AND WEAR GLOVES. Most times color won't transfer to you, but...

Oh yeah and it stinks until it sets.

Thanks a ton for your advice!  I'll check it out at my HomeDepot.  I was thinking, if colorants were used, I'd use mason stains. I'm glad you mentioned that it doesn't accept oils.  Did you make the sculptures, and then attach them to the wood, or object, afterwards, or did you apply the Bondo directly to the surface?  Are you able to nail through the Bondo?

Nail no, careful drilling yes. But I always used those tubes for sinking screws (sorry not tool savy enough to know their name) and inserted them before the bondo set. It takes some planing before hand. But it makes it easier. And those dohikeys come in lots of colors and clear, so don't worry too much about that either.

Just make your piece on a sheet of wax paper and insert tubes. If it going on a rounded surface set the paper on a close mold of the needed curve. Though it will also set on mildly abraded wood direct. But I always prefered true mounting to defy gravity messing with me after the fact. When it impacts it shatters.

Yeah bondo and oil make for a color bleading drippy mess. And the turpintine base of some oils and bondo is a chemical no-no.

KathyS
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

KathyS wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

KathyS wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Oh Bondo's cool. I've sculpted with it. You can even tint it.

That's neat, TB,

Can you tell me a little about your sculptures, and how you used the Bondo?  Where did you purchase the Bondo...and what type of tint did you use?

K.

Well it's been a few years. So you're going to have to look for which brand they sell in your neck of the woods nowadays. It had bondo in red letters on a white label. I bought it at the hardware store, check with HomeDepot.

I was attaching bondo animals to wood for one. Smoke wisps to a wall once. I did a braille sculpture with it once. Anytime I wanted a waterproof finished product, I used it. Permaclay requires (or at least it did) heat to water set and that makes it unfeasible in many situations.

Acrylic paint and also powered pigment (you know the stuff you add alcohol, water, or egg to). It's kinda like when you mix in way too much gesso. A whitish mildly gray dilution. It doesn't like oils at all. Colored chalks dilute too much. Inks won't mix proper. A group of us played around with it a lot.

Best advice follow the package directions and WORK QUICK. It always sets before you think it will (and that was in high humidity). Though once you get used to it it'll seem like it takes too long to set. AND WEAR GLOVES. Most times color won't transfer to you, but...

Oh yeah and it stinks until it sets.

Thanks a ton for your advice!  I'll check it out at my HomeDepot.  I was thinking, if colorants were used, I'd use mason stains. I'm glad you mentioned that it doesn't accept oils.  Did you make the sculptures, and then attach them to the wood, or object, afterwards, or did you apply the Bondo directly to the surface?  Are you able to nail through the Bondo?

Nail no, careful drilling yes. But I always used those tubes for sinking screws (sorry not tool savy enough to know their name) and inserted them before the bondo set. It takes some planing before hand. But it makes it easier. And those dohikeys come in lots of colors and clear, so don't worry too much about that either.

Just make your piece on a sheet of wax paper and insert tubes. If it going on a rounded surface set the paper on a close mold of the needed curve. Though it will also set on mildly abraded wood direct. But I always prefered true mounting to defy gravity messing with me after the fact. When it impacts it shatters.

Yeah bondo and oil make for a color bleading drippy mess. And the turpintine base of some oils and bondo is a chemical no-no.

Thanks for your help, I'm getting the picture more clearly, now. :smileyhappy:
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: New Garden - HELP!

[ Edited ]

I don't have a clue how to get it out of my computer, and sent within a link, onto here.

Using Photobox to upload/send your photos is easy and free. Just log in, create an album, browse your photographs for the one you want and upload.  Then click 'share' your album via the web, using a password if you don't want the world to share.  Photobox then gives you a link/URL which you can paste here (or anywhere), giving us a password.     

KathyS wrote:

becke_davis wrote:
Kathy - whatever you end up doing, be sure to post links -- or maybe by then we'll be able to post pictures here.

Becke, you'll be the first to know...but other than sending private emails, I don't have a clue how to get it out of my computer, and sent within a link, onto here.  BTW, if you want to post those pictures of the cactus, go ahead. I would have, but I don't know how.  It came to me in a private email.

Message Edited by Choisya on 05-21-2009 02:43 AM
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: New Garden - HELP!

Thanks, C - I'll look into this.
Choisya wrote:

I don't have a clue how to get it out of my computer, and sent within a link, onto here.

Using Photobox to upload/send your photos is easy and free. Just log in, create an album, browse your photographs for the one you want and upload.  Then click 'share' your album via the web, using a password if you don't want the world to share.  Photobox then gives you a link/URL which you can paste here (or anywhere), giving us a password.     

KathyS wrote:

becke_davis wrote:
Kathy - whatever you end up doing, be sure to post links -- or maybe by then we'll be able to post pictures here.

Becke, you'll be the first to know...but other than sending private emails, I don't have a clue how to get it out of my computer, and sent within a link, onto here.  BTW, if you want to post those pictures of the cactus, go ahead. I would have, but I don't know how.  It came to me in a private email.

Message Edited by Choisya on 05-21-2009 02:43 AM

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm going to start a new "craft" thread - I think we need one!
Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

Funny thing...son as you start a new thread, no one can think what to say!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Par4course wrote:
You may have a point...well, I don't mind if we go off-topic, as long as it's okay with the rest of you!

KathyS
0 Kudos

Conversations that run amuck!

Par4course wrote:

No, the funny thing is, we're still in the same thread... :smileyhappy: We just changed the topic of conversation to suit "my" needs LOL  I'm done talking about Bondo and making art, for the moment.  What would you like to talk about? 

Watch me make a whole new thread.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Conversations that run amuck!

Watch me make a whole new thread.

(enormous chuckle)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

You all never fail to make me smile.  Hey, it's your board - any of you can start a new thread whenever you want!
KathyS
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
You all never fail to make me smile.  Hey, it's your board - any of you can start a new thread whenever you want!

:smileyhappy:  Guess who inspired me to want to talk[start a new thread] about 'golf courses' 'obstacles' and 'old duffers'? I guess the grass is always greener on someone elses golf course:  Watch out for that ball!!!!  FOUR!!!!

Thanks, Becke..you're much too kind!

K.

Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

Reviving an old thread her, but had to let loose somewhere about my garden work today.  Just went out to plant a couple of vines to cover my old fence in back, and found that the neighbor dog had started a pretty good hole under the fence!  I already had one of those big round stepping stones sideways under the fence (it helps if you remember that the neighbor is downhill from me).  Anyhow, I thought it was a gopher hole at first, but turned out that dog has been tunneling!  Now I see why the next-door neighbor (who shares a 1/2 yard with the down hill neighbor) has a concrete block wall for a back fence!

Anyhow, I now have a new rock garden there.  :smileywink: Let her dig through that!  I'm just so unhappy though, that they don't control their dog - not to mention their back yard is full of weeds!    Okay, got that off my chest.  Thanks.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Par4course wrote:

Reviving an old thread her, but had to let loose somewhere about my garden work today.  Just went out to plant a couple of vines to cover my old fence in back, and found that the neighbor dog had started a pretty good hole under the fence!  I already had one of those big round stepping stones sideways under the fence (it helps if you remember that the neighbor is downhill from me).  Anyhow, I thought it was a gopher hole at first, but turned out that dog has been tunneling!  Now I see why the next-door neighbor (who shares a 1/2 yard with the down hill neighbor) has a concrete block wall for a back fence!

Anyhow, I now have a new rock garden there.  :smileywink: Let her dig through that!  I'm just so unhappy though, that they don't control their dog - not to mention their back yard is full of weeds!    Okay, got that off my chest.  Thanks.

Good!  Glad you got that off your chest!  Helps to vent once in a while!  Glad you got that problem taken care of, too, at least for the time being....until the dog finds another place to dig! Ha!   Plant cactus next to the fence...!

I told my daughters, who are thinking of moving....find a house that has brick fencing! Right now, between one of my daughter's dogs chewing the slats out of the fence until she escapes, and the neighbor's dogs busting the slats down....the fence has so many replaced slats, it's a silly slated sight!

Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

Yep, that's my fence, too.  I managed to get plants on my side of the fence, and an edging fence around them to keep my dogs away from the fence....but each time my dogs are plalying out in the yard, the other one tries to get in.  I thought of a good bougainvillea, but I don't want little ones to get pricked (or me, for that matter).

Anyhow, actually planted a gardenia today...hope it takes.  I filled in the area near the rock garden with lots of peat moss, planted the gardenia, some azaleas, and a hibiscus.  My daughter ordered these vines from QVC that are supposed to go crazy, and I planted them to grow up the fence (and hopefully down the other side).   I've still got some teatree bushes and roses to go in along the fence - prickly, but not as bad as bougainvillea.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

My dog wasn't a digger, but I've had friends whose dogs were compulsive hole-diggers. I don't think there's much you can do to stop them, if it's in their nature. Your rocks will probably stop them, but you could also try putting some chicken wire along the edge of the fence, or anything that will either tangle and make it difficult to dig or prevent them from digging -- like placing thorny barrier plants there.
KathyS
0 Kudos

Par4course wrote:

Yep, that's my fence, too.  I managed to get plants on my side of the fence, and an edging fence around them to keep my dogs away from the fence....but each time my dogs are plalying out in the yard, the other one tries to get in.  I thought of a good bougainvillea, but I don't want little ones to get pricked (or me, for that matter).

Anyhow, actually planted a gardenia today...hope it takes.  I filled in the area near the rock garden with lots of peat moss, planted the gardenia, some azaleas, and a hibiscus.  My daughter ordered these vines from QVC that are supposed to go crazy, and I planted them to grow up the fence (and hopefully down the other side).   I've still got some teatree bushes and roses to go in along the fence - prickly, but not as bad as bougainvillea.

Sounds like you've been a busy lady today.  You got more done than I did...I still haven't made up my mind where I want the hibiscus my kids gave me for Mothers Day.  It's still producing flowers, but not looking as lush as it once did.  I think I'd better hurry up and get it in the ground before the heat hits here.  I don't have my gardenia, yet.... I've got a flat of Vincas that need to go somewhere.  Next week I'll have my grandkids, now that schools out, and I'm going to use them as slave labor! :smileyhappy:

They do love to help me, so I'll put them to work.  Cutting back an out of control rosemary bush is on the list....my cape honeysuckle is out of control, but the hummers are loving it...all the blooms...and the poppies are still taking over the front yard. The lavendar is everywhere, working on their second set of blooms....looking ugly at the moment.   It's never ending!  Anyway...it's yard work next week!  I wonder if I can find gloves that will fit little kids hands?  I'm going to Home Depot tomorrow....spider spray is on my list....too many attached to my house!

Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

Yep, did a lot yesterday.  Now so stiff and sore I don't feel like doing anything. :smileysurprised:  Maybe after a nice brunch? 

I still have a long section of that back fence to do something with...I really like the idea of chicken wire - I know there's more spots to fix.  Any ideas for good vines?  I love the smell of jasmine, but I know some people are allergic to it.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Par4course wrote:

Yep, did a lot yesterday.  Now so stiff and sore I don't feel like doing anything. :smileysurprised:  Maybe after a nice brunch? 

I still have a long section of that back fence to do something with...I really like the idea of chicken wire - I know there's more spots to fix.  Any ideas for good vines?  I love the smell of jasmine, but I know some people are allergic to it.

Maybe attach a trellis to the fence...climbing roses would be nice, against a wooden fence.   There are all different kinds of Jasmine...the oders are pungent.  Depends on how close they are to where you're living space is.  Bees like them!
Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

I did look for climbing roses at my local Home Depot - nothing.  Do they only come as bare roots?  If so, I'm at the wrong time of the year.  Also thinking about hardenbergia, or other flowering vines.  I heard you can never get rid of morning glory once it gets started, so am shying away fromthat.  My mother-in-law has creeping fig, but it's not got any flowers.
KathyS
0 Kudos

Par4course wrote:
I did look for climbing roses at my local Home Depot - nothing.  Do they only come as bare roots?  If so, I'm at the wrong time of the year.  Also thinking about hardenbergia, or other flowering vines.  I heard you can never get rid of morning glory once it gets started, so am shying away fromthat.  My mother-in-law has creeping fig, but it's not got any flowers.

Hmm, no rose climbers?...that's unusual.  You might have to ask.  I just got back from Home Depot... and I was looking at the roses, too, but didn't pay much attention to whether they were climbers...I was just looking at the blooms.  I did see tree roses. 

I don't know about bare root climbers, but bare root stock, of any sort, comes in around the first of January...through February.  there's not a big window, before they need to get into the ground.  The climber that I once had was in a five gallon container.  I bought it at a nursery.  Paid an arm and a leg for it!

I passed a rose nursery in Hemet the other day.  I'd totally forgotten about this place.  I've never stopped to check it out...always coming or going through town....But, I plan to go back and stop, and see what they offer.  I saw a rose today, at HD, that was called Disneyland....it was varigated, pinks, yellows, oranges...really beautiful.   I was going to smell it, but it was loaded with bees!  Opted not!   I did smell the good old standbye tea rose, Chrysler Imperial.  Now that Chrysler is going under, maybe we should get one of those!....so RED and so fragrant...I'd forgotten how wonderfully spicey the aroma was...I've always liked, for a red rose tea, Mr. Lincoln.  Wonderful for cutting.

I looked at ton of climber plants, all sorts, and all in bloom...a big assortment.  I saw one, in particular, that I really liked, but it was $44.97....(too much for my budget today, since I had a lot of things I had to get)....it was called, Pink Bower of Beauty - Pandorea Pandorana "Charisma"...I couldn't decide if the flowers were actually pink, or a lavender...it was such a soft and subtle color....the shape of trumpets, with a center the "color" heliotrope...deep pinkish.  It's hard to describe that color, so vibrant in shade.  And the leaves were all variegated...greens to yellows. Very unusal, and it was trellised...I thought of you, so I wrote it down.

I bought my gardenia, only I didn't get the Mystery...the only ones they had were the Veitchii...but it will probably do better here where it gets so hot.  It also has a cold hardiness of 20 to 10 degrees...we do have freezes where I live.  I also bought stawberry plants....I know the kids will love those.  

I got vegetable seeds, too.  Then I bought the kids two small clay pots, to paint.  They can plant what ever they want in them.  Then I found more rubber bark!  I love that stuff...easy on your bare feet, so soft, but it does get hot in the summer...  I had made a short walk way, which leads into a pergola I built, and the bark is within that area, too, which leads up to the front entrance to my house... 

I also found a big round pressed rubber "skirt" looking thing...to put around the base of trees...so cool!  Keeps the weeds away, and the moisture in.  I have a small strawberry guava tree in my front yard, and it will work great to put around that.  And the list goes on! LOL  now I've got to get busy!  The sun finally came out today :smileyhappy:...but it's warming fast... :smileysad:

Happy gardening!