Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

Re: Conversations that run amuck!

Wow! sounds like you did a lot of shopping.  I need to get more rubber mulch..bought several bags when Costco had it, but it wasn't quite enough, and now they don't have it anymore.  There's an area about 10 inches wide along my driveway that grows nothing but weeds and alyssum. (I like alyssum, but don't want to step on it everytime I get out of my car.)  As I clean it out, I find lots of concrete - apparently,they were not too neat in pouring the driveway - which I'm finding was common in most of what they did around this poor old house. 

I'll look for that vine you mentioned - sounds beautiful.  We have a number of tea roses, floribundas, and a rose tree in a side yard.  I try to keep them watered, but dead-heading them is my daughter's job.  

How do your strawberries do?  I've got one plant that gives me a berry now and then, but mostly I kill them.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I have this one in a pot, and just try to keep it watered....every one I've ever put in the ground dies.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Par4course wrote:
I did look for climbing roses at my local Home Depot - nothing.  Do they only come as bare roots?  If so, I'm at the wrong time of the year.  Also thinking about hardenbergia, or other flowering vines.  I heard you can never get rid of morning glory once it gets started, so am shying away fromthat.  My mother-in-law has creeping fig, but it's not got any flowers.
Bindweed is in the morning glory family and that is definitely hard to get rid of. But in most regions, morning glory is a tender annual and will die every winter. In my yard, if I'm lucky, some of the seeds may survive the winter but I've never had a problem with it. Has anyone else?
 Kiwi vine might be interesting for you, or hyacinth beans. I like scarlet runner beans, too, because you get pretty red flowers AND edible beans. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Home Depot had a good price on that rubber mulch/bark, both red and brown.  I laughed when you said you were stepping on alyssum by your driveway...I do the same thing!  Ha!  If there is a speck of dirt, allysum will find its way to it!  Same with my poppies! Mine grows in my rock yard! 

If you have dirt beside your driveway, I'd lay some of that weed inhibitor mesh down, before you put the bark down. 

Where I put my bark, I moved away the decorative rocks, and put the bark directly on the black plastic, which was under the rocks...that was a bad move.  The bark wants to slide around on the plastic, when walked on,  and now the plastic is developing holes...that's where the weeds, and whatever else, wants to grow.  I hadn't realized that the rubber would move around so much.  Before I put these new bags of bark down, I'm going to rethink this walkway of mine.  It was supposed to be a sort of freeform, rustic looking walkway, but it's getting a little too messy for my taste.  It's also ending up in my rocks!

I'll let you know about the strawberries.  I've only tried growing them once before.  I had them in a planter.  Only it got so hot that year, I didn't give them enough water.  They produced srawberries, as long as I remembered to water them!  Then they died...my fault.

I had a neighbor in Hemet, on the corner across the street from me, and he grew them as a ground cover in the parkway.  The plants grew and spread all year long.  I picked them whenever they produced.  Not the best strawberries, though.  I don't know which varieties do better than others.  I did do a lot of taste testing, while working in the produce department.  I knew the regions that produced the best ones.  Orange County, by far had the most flavor, as well as central Calif.  Vista grows a lot of strawberries.  They're nice looking, but not as tasty.

I was always going to make a stawberry planter (pottery pot, with holes on the sides) but never have.  You can buy these planters, but when it comes to anything pottery, I always figure I can make it.....it's just remembering to do it!  I'll probably put these two plants in a container, again...and hope to remember to water them!  I've seen them grown in fields, and they like sandy soil, and grown up on a mound.  I don't think their leaves like to be touching a lot of damp soil and laying in water. 

Good luck with your planting!

Time to get busy, now.

Later,

Kathy

Par4course wrote:

Wow! sounds like you did a lot of shopping.  I need to get more rubber mulch..bought several bags when Costco had it, but it wasn't quite enough, and now they don't have it anymore.  There's an area about 10 inches wide along my driveway that grows nothing but weeds and alyssum. (I like alyssum, but don't want to step on it everytime I get out of my car.)  As I clean it out, I find lots of concrete - apparently,they were not too neat in pouring the driveway - which I'm finding was common in most of what they did around this poor old house. 

I'll look for that vine you mentioned - sounds beautiful.  We have a number of tea roses, floribundas, and a rose tree in a side yard.  I try to keep them watered, but dead-heading them is my daughter's job.  

How do your strawberries do?  I've got one plant that gives me a berry now and then, but mostly I kill them.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I have this one in a pot, and just try to keep it watered....every one I've ever put in the ground dies.

Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

Thanks, Becke, for the good ideas on vines.  I'll look for them.

Kathy, it's too late for the weed mesh...already put the stuff down, and I don't want to take it up again.  Hopefully it'll be too dry for weeds to come up until next spring, and maybe then I'll have more energy.  Besides, I never found the weed mesh to work very well...newspapers seem to work much better, but still not perfect.  At least they're cheaper.:smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

A friend of mine just went through a "green gardening program." I find the phrase strange, almost silly, because what else would gardening be, but green? Anyway, he was told to dig down a few inches, put down cardboard, then refill with soil. Is supposed to keep weeds from growing. I think I'll take advantage of the idea, since I spent my upkeep "allowance" on gardening books that came in cardboard boxes. There'll be an underground Barnes and Noble box meeting in my front yard where some nasty, weedy intruders are being suffocated. 
Par4course wrote:

Thanks, Becke, for the good ideas on vines.  I'll look for them.

Kathy, it's too late for the weed mesh...already put the stuff down, and I don't want to take it up again.  Hopefully it'll be too dry for weeds to come up until next spring, and maybe then I'll have more energy.  Besides, I never found the weed mesh to work very well...newspapers seem to work much better, but still not perfect.  At least they're cheaper.:smileyhappy:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

What a great idea!
Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

New problem for everyone - I'm slowly taking down the reed fencing they had leaning against the regular wood fence.  It was not well attached, leans during the wind, the top is not at all even -- looks terrible from close or far.  Anyhow... what do I do with the old one?  Other than slowly breaking it to pieces, putting the reed in the garden recycling bin and the metal in the regular garbage  -- which will take forever! -- any ideas?
KathyS
0 Kudos

Par4course wrote:
New problem for everyone - I'm slowly taking down the reed fencing they had leaning against the regular wood fence.  It was not well attached, leans during the wind, the top is not at all even -- looks terrible from close or far.  Anyhow... what do I do with the old one?  Other than slowly breaking it to pieces, putting the reed in the garden recycling bin and the metal in the regular garbage  -- which will take forever! -- any ideas?

I have several suggestions/questions, before you take it all down.  I have some of that fencing, which was 6 foot in height when I bougtht it, but I took a circular saw and cut it in half, becoming two three foot sections.  I wired it to a three foot chainlink fence...for a little privacy screen.  

Now, I know what you mean...it becomes very 'rustic' looking.  I actually like that look...but for you, before I would take it all down, I'd think about what I could do to fix what I've got.  It's your choice.

If the top is uneaven...I'd do one of two things....give it a 'trim'...even it in some way, clippers, or raising it up..to level it.  But it needs to be 'attached' as you work with it up....screws, nails, industrial staples, which are hammered into the wood...Of course, if you're not handy, or feel uncomfortable with these tools, I'll never convince you to keep this fence up.

If it really bugs you, the rusticness of it all, you can cover it.

I saw some really large bamboo fencing at Home Depot.  If I had money to spend, I'd buy that stuff.  Large, really tuff bamboo...it's fencing....and I'd screw it into your wooden fence.  I could do it with metal screws, into my chainlink.... but if it's just wood your going into, long wood screws with a 'washer type flange' would work...hide the uneven existing fence behind it.  Layer ontop of what you have with whatever you want.....or use lattices, using wood screws....vines cover a lot, too...let it all obscure what you don't like.

It sounds like more work to take it all down....Then what do you have...?  An old wooden fence to obscure, again?  Dealing with that stuff, I don't know......haul it to the dump?   You'll need a truck! Good luck! 

I'm so dead right now!  The grandkids spent each day helping me work in my  yard.  Ooooooooohhhhh, my body hurts!  They each had their little pots they painted, and planted with a Vinca...Got the playhouse cut out, yesterday, but didn't get a chance to paint it....they were too busy playing in it...then we all went swimming today...and picknicked by the pool.  I needed a day off!  But spent most of the day telling them to keep their hands off of each other! "Don't drown your brother, Emma!!" Emma (8) is so bossy to her 5 year old brother.....

I waved to them, as mom drove off down the street...."See you Monday, Grandma!"  They yelled, as they waved back. 

Tomorrow, I need to get my car smoged!

Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

Wow!  You deserve a good rest with a tall ice tea after all that!  I sympathize with the soreness, as my back has been hurting since I moved my potted palms last weekend.  I decide to do something, and refuse to wait until my daughter or son-in-law are home to help.  Oh, well.

I like your suggestions, and have actually considered the bamboo (it looks really nice), but I see that termites and silverfish have been getting to the old fence behind the reed, and I'm afraid doing anything but vines will just encourage the destruction.  Besides, I've already been ruining my budget trying to get this yard in decent shape.  However, you may be right...it's a loooong fence.  

I'm tempted to put the section I took down back up, but it means stepping on the new plants I just put in there....and my back hurts already.  Oh, well, guess that's the best alternative.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kathy and Par, I think you both deserve a tall cool one -- I'm exhausted just reading these posts! I think Kathy has made some good suggestions. Anyone else have ideas on this? Par, let us know what you end up doing. My own fence is one of those three bar split rail types, with a backing of chicken wire so my dog couldn't dig her way out. The rails are definitely old and rustic now, and I've been debating whether to replace them. Not a fun job!
KathyS
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
Kathy and Par, I think you both deserve a tall cool one -- I'm exhausted just reading these posts! I think Kathy has made some good suggestions. Anyone else have ideas on this? Par, let us know what you end up doing. My own fence is one of those three bar split rail types, with a backing of chicken wire so my dog couldn't dig her way out. The rails are definitely old and rustic now, and I've been debating whether to replace them. Not a fun job!

One thing I didn't mention....the "weathered, or rustic" look of anything wood, can be changed to just about any color of wood/type you can imagine.  Just think of your fences as "furniture".  Refinishing them:   Spray, or paint, on a spar varnish...or a combo laquer/stain, if you want the "look" of the fence to bright up....or just a stain is fine.  I like the "white wash" look of some of those stains.  It's a cool look...reminds me of the east coast weathered cedar look on house shingles...or the coastal weathered pine.  To make wood 'last', coating them with stains, or varnish/laquers, can prevent them from rotting, or infestations.  If you spray, you might want to cover your plants with a painters plastic drop cloth....or even if you paint it on, you don't want it spilled on the plants.  That's it, for now.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kathy - I'm thinking you should write a book on garden art/renovation.
KathyS
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
Kathy - I'm thinking you should write a book on garden art/renovation.

Yeah...I'll title it, you write it....what shall we call it? 

From Crap to Cool

From Rust-ic to Reformed

Garden Art Aged and Refinished

Renovate Your Garden Art Treasures

Wine Drinking Spills Over a Garden Pot

Don't Throw It, Show It!

Re-Made In The Shade

Fencing With Garden Furniture

Realizing Beautiful Landscapes

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I think those are your chapter headings!
Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

You're right, Becke, Kathy has great ideas.  Well, my original idea was to kind of "whitewash" the fence.  Again, my concern is what to do with the reed fencing. I really don't want to just trash it, if I can think of some environmentally friendly thing to do with it.  I was planning to cut the reeds (once it's off the fence) to get the wires off, and maybe use the reed pieces as a kind of mulch?  But as I say, it's a rather long fence, and so it's going to be a long job.  I just can't see getting the vines to grow up the reed fence, when it's not attached properly and may just fall over on my other plants in a strong wind.

I would love to figure out how to put some pictures on here for you to see what's going on.  (Also, I'd love to brag about my finished front yard. :smileyvery-happy: Okay, it's not really finished, but then I'm never finished with my gardening. )

KathyS
0 Kudos

Par4course wrote:

You're right, Becke, Kathy has great ideas.  Well, my original idea was to kind of "whitewash" the fence.  Again, my concern is what to do with the reed fencing. I really don't want to just trash it, if I can think of some environmentally friendly thing to do with it.  I was planning to cut the reeds (once it's off the fence) to get the wires off, and maybe use the reed pieces as a kind of mulch?  But as I say, it's a rather long fence, and so it's going to be a long job.  I just can't see getting the vines to grow up the reed fence, when it's not attached properly and may just fall over on my other plants in a strong wind.

I would love to figure out how to put some pictures on here for you to see what's going on.  (Also, I'd love to brag about my finished front yard. :smileyvery-happy: Okay, it's not really finished, but then I'm never finished with my gardening. )

Then attach it properly...or take it all down....Two alternatives. 

OR-------

dig a big hole, and bury it!  LOL...

Okay, this is it....One last suggestion, and no more!  Cut it in strips...Laying it flat on the ground... around and up next to your plants, size as needed...use it for weed abatement and moisture retention.... in your veggie or flower garden. If you don't like its looks...throw some of that rubber bark over it.   No need to turn it into mulch...that will happen soon enough when it sits on the ground in moisture.  It can also be turned into walkways/paths in your garden....feet/shoes won't sink in wet dirt when you walk on it to inspect or pick whatever you have.  I just wouldn't walk on it barefooted...the wires that link it all together are probably broken and sharp.

That's about as creatively practical as it gets, right now. :smileyhappy:  I'm about ready to drive to your house and see this darn thing! LOL

KathyS
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
I think those are your chapter headings!

Yeah, chapter headings...as I was reading them over...my thoughts were already forming a dissertation for each 'chapter'....but what could I write that hasn't already been written?  Nada... Two approaches to landscapes and art for decorations...if it's there already, I can change it...if it doesn't exist, I'll make it exist.  Who hasn't already done it?  Although, all contained in one lovely coffee table book would be nice!   Shabby chic has already been done to death...let's see...Write it as a fairy tale....:smileyhappy:

Once upon a time there was an old lady who lived in the land of Gardenonia! 

She had so many plants and flowers,

veggies and art,

she didn't know what to do with the last petunia!

They surrounded her like Passion Vines running amuck in the Garden of Eden! 

One, then two,

they multiplied before her eyse! 

What to do, what to do, after another tomato eaten!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Poetry! Limericks! I'm overdue for a visit to your kingdom!
KathyS
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
Poetry! Limericks! I'm overdue for a visit to your kingdom!

I ran away from home....Between my son Ryan's renovation of the castle, and all of the dignitaries and people who were in the midst of a revolt... he took in....and the parties they were throwing....the women went nuts....so my home wasn't my castle anymore!  :smileysad:

My daughter, Deb, left for England to go under the tutelage of Nora and Nick Charles...and Agatha.  She hasn't returned.  She's following in the footsteps of Miss Marple, her heroine.  I live here, now.  I found a nice little toad stool, given to me by one of your gnomes...I carved out a set of furniture to make if comfy and cozy...Gnorme helped me.  He is here with me, keeping me company.  :smileyhappy:  And all of you guys, of course! Ha!

Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I love it!!   Let's see...

My little place is an apple tree,

with a dragon to heat up my tea .

I've blossoms in spring, 

from the branches they spring,

And apples to eat in the fall.

Actually, you are welcome to visit either of my homes at any time. :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Par4course on 06-20-2009 09:10 AM