Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Tomatoes

We seem to be having a lot of plant funerals this summer. I need to add one more to the funeral pyre, and I'm very sad about it -- my beautiful Forest Pansy redbud has died. It's at least 10 years old and was one of my favorite trees. :smileyhappy:
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Forest Pansy

becke_davis wrote:
We seem to be having a lot of plant funerals this summer. I need to add one more to the funeral pyre, and I'm very sad about it -- my beautiful Forest Pansy redbud has died. It's at least 10 years old and was one of my favorite trees. :smileyhappy:

I'm sorry to hear this, Becke.  After ten years...I wonder why?  BTW, what's a Forest Pansy redbud tree?

Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

Oh, sorry...it's always much worse when a tree goes.  Not only do they mean so much to a landscape, but I always feel they have a personality of their own.  (Guess I read too much of Lord of the Rings and the ents?) 

Another mistake I made this year was planting sunflowers in with the corn.  Sunflowers completely took over...teeny, tiny corn plants.  Won't do that again.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Forest Pansy

I'll post a picture of it in bloom on  my blog later. I'd take a picture of it dead, but my camera died, too. Maybe it's me...
KathyS
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
I'll post a picture of it in bloom on  my blog later. I'd take a picture of it dead, but my camera died, too. Maybe it's me...

Becke, how can you think that!!  My Lady of The Golden Touch....nothing lives forever...first my fidge took a nose dive....then my washing machine died....my garbage disposal gave up the ghost, my car needs repairs this week.... I know nothing about digital cameras except how to operate mine, or  dead trees, except how to take them out....

.......I had a double birch - and one year I lost one, and two years later, the other one went...it didn't give me leaves one spring, but I left it in the ground because I liked the white bark...but a palm tree was growing next to it, so I think they had a fight, and the palm tree won.  I wrapped my hands around the trunk of the birch, and yanked it out.  It didn't make it to old age.

Get some rest, and watch out for falling balls, flying monkeys, and black dust clouds! Oh, and yeah, take no car hints from son!  :smileyhappy:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I think it was actually our harsher than usual winter that killed it. Forest Pansy is less hardy than other redbuds and the trunk split during the last bad winter. Makes me sad, though.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

The pictures aren't great quality, but I posted pictures of the Forest Pansy redbud on my blog:

http://the-garden-muse.blogspot.com/

KathyS
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

The pictures aren't great quality, but I posted pictures of the Forest Pansy redbud on my blog:

http://the-garden-muse.blogspot.com/

Becke, I can see why you loved this tree, and will miss it...it is beautiful.  These are the leaves that turn that shade?  I first thought it was in bloom!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

It flowered before the leaves emerged -- that's the hot pink/purpley color you see. The slightly blurry picture at the top (with my cat, Casper) shows the leaves.  Here's a better picture I found online.

KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Melhay wrote:

My tomatoe plants, the early girls, are just starting to get tiny, green 'maters on them.  And the big boys are just starting to get flowers.  I can't wait till they are ready to pick.  The rest of the garden is doing well.  The lettuce is all up, radishes broke ground in a week, cucumbers are coming up in a week also.  The green beans are all sprouting up also.  I just hope these horrible storms we are getting doesn't wash them all away.

I am worried however that I may have planted my cucumbers to close to the row beside it.  That was my error, I was sick when I planted them and just wanted to get them in the ground.  Also, I planted 3-4 seeds in a hole thinking there was a chance that none would come up.  Lo and behold all 3-4 seeds broke the ground.  I am trying to give them away to the neighbors, but no one wants them.  There loss...

Hi, Mel... sounds like you have a nice garden growing!  I can't imagine your neighbors not wanting your cucumbers!  Why don't you pick them when they're little, and pickle them! Pickles...and you can even chop them up an make relishes.

I've never planted cucumbers.  Right now, I think my garden area is too small.  The plants get pretty large, don't they?  That's my grandkids favorite vegetable, too. 

I just went outside and looked at my tomatoes, and the long branches are starting to go everywhere.   I need to figure out a way to prop them up, so the tomatoes aren't touching the ground.  They're full of flowers and tomatoes.   I did put them into a tomato enclosure...the round wire things...but they've outgrown them!  Tomorrow the kids will be back, and I've got one nice big red tomato to be picked.  The first of the season!  I know the kids will fight over who will pick it!  They'll be planting their radishes, carrots, and lettuce, tomorrow, and when they come back the next week, I'll have them plant another row...and continue planting through the summer.  This way they'll always have something to pick and take home.

I hope the bugs don't find their way to your garden!  So far so good on my tomato plants!  Let us know how your garden is coming along!

Have a good one!

Kathy

Message Edited by KathyS on 06-21-2009 05:28 PM
Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

Re: Trees and gardens

Becke, what a gorgeous tree!  I'm sure it was an important part of your landscape...it'll certainly leave an empty spot.  I've read that they are expecting an El Nino year this winter, so probably you should hold off trying to plant another one for awhile.  I'm so sorry that it is gone. 

Kathy, can you still plant lettuce this late in the season?  I thought it would be too hot.  When I tried last summer, it bolted right away.  Or do you have a cool, some-what shady spot for it?  You're hotter than I am, so I wonder what your trick is.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Trees and gardens

I should stress the tree I pasted in is one I found on Google. My own tree is the one on my blog. I've been debating whether to replace it or grass it over. I've planted a bottlebrush buckeye on the berm behind it, and when that gets bigger it will be pretty impressive.
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

Melhay wrote:
Squash Beetles!  I will have to keep an eye out...  I do keep watching for bugs and lovely visitors.
Yes, I only had them the one time but they were very nasty!
Here a links to some Google images of various squash bugs, and articles about them:
http://www.vegedge.umn.edu/vegpest/cucs/squabug.htm
http://www.oznet.k-state.edu/hfrr/extensn/problems/squashbg.htm 
 http://images.google.com/images?rlz=1C1CHMI_en-USUS292US303&sourceid=chrome&q=squash+bugs&um=1&ie=UT...

http://images.google.com/images?rlz=1C1CHMI_en-USUS292US303&sourceid=chrome&q=squash+bugs&um=1&ie=UT...  

Thanks for the links.  I have seen these bugs.  Thank goodness I haven't seen them in my garden!  I have seen these around the area though.  My grandfather was a farmer and they were seen on the farm from time to time.

Thanks for the information!  I will always keep an eye out for them.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

It flowered before the leaves emerged -- that's the hot pink/purpley color you see. The slightly blurry picture at the top (with my cat, Casper) shows the leaves.  Here's a better picture I found online.

This tree does look like a beautiful accessory to have.  The blooms are pretty and then the leaves are wonderful with the color.  It brings out so much more color than the regular green leaves.  I usually like trees more in the fall with their wonderful and various colors.  But this one would be nice for all year long!

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Hi, Mel... sounds like you have a nice garden growing!  I can't imagine your neighbors not wanting your cucumbers!  Why don't you pick them when they're little, and pickle them! Pickles...and you can even chop them up an make relishes.

I've never planted cucumbers.  Right now, I think my garden area is too small.  The plants get pretty large, don't they?  That's my grandkids favorite vegetable, too. 

I just went outside and looked at my tomatoes, and the long branches are starting to go everywhere.   I need to figure out a way to prop them up, so the tomatoes aren't touching the ground.  They're full of flowers and tomatoes.   I did put them into a tomato enclosure...the round wire things...but they've outgrown them!  Tomorrow the kids will be back, and I've got one nice big red tomato to be picked.  The first of the season!  I know the kids will fight over who will pick it!  They'll be planting their radishes, carrots, and lettuce, tomorrow, and when they come back the next week, I'll have them plant another row...and continue planting through the summer.  This way they'll always have something to pick and take home.

I hope the bugs don't find their way to your garden!  So far so good on my tomato plants!  Let us know how your garden is coming along!

Have a good one!

Kathy

Message Edited by KathyS on 06-21-2009 05:28 PM

The garden seems to be doing well, so far.  I don't have the cucumbers yet, I am just trying to give the plants away before they get to big and chock each other out.  I will just keep playing with the vines to get all of them to last.  I didn't even think about pickling the cucumbers.  That is a wonderful idea!! Thank you!  My son and I just lllooovvee pickles, and I love relish. 

I am new to the canning and freezing of fresh fruit and vegetables.  I will have to find a receipe for the pickles and try it out.  I am hoping to get enough to eat this year and maybe grow next year.  I would like to freeze and can the extras for in the winter months to have that fresh food taste when you can't go to the garden.

The tomatoes are all starting to bloom nicely.  I really am starting to get excited.  Now I am starting to see more "fruit from the labor" and it really makes you feel good.

My garden was going to be like a neighborhood garden.  There is another family who lives a few houses down I was hoping would help and enjoy the "fruits" with us.  But it seems to have fizzled some before it started.  So it is just me know, I hope all will enjoy it in the end anyway.

My son doesn't do much in the way of helping with the upkeep of the garden but he does like to walk through it with me once a week to see the growth.  He really is amazed at how it all grows.  When the vegetables are ready for the picking he will really enjoy that.  The kids do enjoy the picking that is for sure.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I'm wishing I did plant some cukes this year -- I can pick some up at the farmer's market, but they're never quite as good as home grown, are they? (I always plant the "burpless" varieties, by the way.)
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
I'm wishing I did plant some cukes this year -- I can pick some up at the farmer's market, but they're never quite as good as home grown, are they? (I always plant the "burpless" varieties, by the way.)

I have Burpees Burpless cucumbers in.  That just sounds strange when you say (or type) it.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

It's sounds funny, but they're good to eat -- those are the ones I usually plant, too.
Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

You are all making me hungry for cucumbers...I'm going to go buy some at the grocery store, then get some seeds and plant some.  They are never as good as straight from the garden.