Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

BN Editor
BookClubEditor
0 Kudos

Shrubs and Trees

[ Edited ]

The Complete Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges has some wonderful pictures of ornamental trees and shrubs. Check out the viburnum, fothergilla, lilac and so many more!

What are some of your favorite spring blooming shrubs and trees? What are some of the common flowering trees and shrubs in your region?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Message Edited by BookClubEditor on 03-02-2007 01:35 PM

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Shrubs and Trees

If any of you have this book, or are considering buying it, post a response under this heading. If you want to know more about the book, I'd be glad to talk to you about it. Same goes if you already have it and have questions or would like additional information. Don't be shy!
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Spring at last!

Spring at last! On Saturday, I started clipping the buddleia bushes. This will be a three week project, not because it is a lot of work but because the green container fills up really fast. My garden will look a bit funny for the next two weeks.

But it was such a joy to do my ruthless snipping and knowing it will result in a beautiful garden in just a few weeks! Nature is so wonderful :smileyhappy:

Caroline
Belief in your mission, greet life with a cheer
There's big work to do, and that's why you are here
~ Caroline
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Spring at last!

Forsythias are blooming and I've seen magnolias starting to bloom, buds are out on most of the trees almost overnight and leaves are out on some already. Daffodils are blooming everywhere, so are crocus, some hyacinths and other small bulbs. Thanks goodness spring is well and truly here, as well as an early hot spell, because I've had a rough couple weeks with my dog dying, followed by the pet food recall (which included the food she ate but apparently it was unrelated to her death), a good friend's suicide and now another friend was just diagnosed with breast cancer. I'm ready for spring and good news, right about now.
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Becke, you are in for good news? I just won another free lottery :smileywink: Oh well, at least the good news is that I did not fall into that spam trap.

You might be interested to read

Lessons from Rocky
www.lessonsfromrocky.com
The newest book published on loving your pet and the healing process after the loss of a pet. (I list the website that the author published but the book is also available on BN & other bookstores).

I read it this morning. Thinking of my dear friend who died on 22 March, fortunately more than a few years ago. And the book reawakened many happy memories.

Hugs,
Caroline
~ Caroline
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks so much. I also have Joan Didion's Year of Magical Thinking on my list. She wrote that when her husband died, and then she lost her daughter shortly afterwards. Vanessa Redgrave is going to do a one-woman performance of this book (transformed into a play) on Broadway. By the way, I'm not comparing the loss of a dog to the loss of a husband or child, but grief is grief.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
Forsythias are blooming and I've seen magnolias starting to bloom, buds are out on most of the trees almost overnight and leaves are out on some already. Daffodils are blooming everywhere, so are crocus, some hyacinths and other small bulbs. Thanks goodness spring is well and truly here, as well as an early hot spell, because I've had a rough couple weeks with my dog dying, followed by the pet food recall (which included the food she ate but apparently it was unrelated to her death), a good friend's suicide and now another friend was just diagnosed with breast cancer. I'm ready for spring and good news, right about now.

Becke, I'm glad you found out that the food you had given Maggie was not the contributing cause of her death. That has to be of some relief to you at this time. And to hear of a friends death, or illness, is always hard to deal with. But the tragic and unexpected way in which they occur, always is a shock. My heart aches at this moment. Death, and grief is a progression, and only time will show you peace.

We just never know, in this whole scheme of life, what will come to us - at any given, unexpected moment. They literally blind-side us and knock us off our feet. Getting back up, onto our feet, can be difficult. But I'm sure your community of friends, as well as your family, has been the greater part of your support. Just know that we, here, support you too.
Love to you, Becke.
KathyS
0 Kudos

caroline88 wrote:
Spring at last! On Saturday, I started clipping the buddleia bushes. This will be a three week project, not because it is a lot of work but because the green container fills up really fast. My garden will look a bit funny for the next two weeks.

But it was such a joy to do my ruthless snipping and knowing it will result in a beautiful garden in just a few weeks! Nature is so wonderful :smileyhappy:

Caroline

It's funny, Caroline, you're cutting your BB back, and I just got them planted in the ground this weekend. I read the side of the container, as I was sticking them in the ground....10x10...hmm, I guess they're going to get a little bigger than the tag indicated. I do hope they grow that big, I have a long, three foot chain link fense I want to hide! Purrrrrfect! I hope the butterflies and hummers like them too!

All of my seed plantings are coming up according to plan. We've had alternating cool days and warm days, which is nice...the heat hasn't rapidly dried the ground out....just enough to encourage them along. I can't wait to see the results of my labors! I picture color everywhere!! I still haven't invested in a digital camera...and I really should. I'd send you all pictures!

Tomorrow I'll go get the tomato plants, the holes are ready and waiting. More turning the soil, and fertilizer this year. Last year they took over the area, and I ended up with a ton of tomatoes, but the the beefstakes were Cherry and Early Girl size! Believe it or not, I took a lot off during our frost, vine still attached, and they turned red...some are still in my refrigerator! Not very tasty, though. Nothing like "on" the vine ripe tomatoes.

In the market, we were never allowed to refigerate tomatoes...they loose their taste. But in this case, those dozens I removed wouldn't have lasted in the house long enough for me to eat them all. I gave a lot of them away to my kids, too. It's amazing what two plants will produce!
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Kathy,

I don't know how big your BB will be. Maybe they are of a variety that is meant to stay small? Mine grow taller than me and I think it would take two persons holding hands to span around it. But the first year, directly after planting, they were smaller. Maybe because they had to recover from the shock of adjusting to a new garden? Or maybe they were just toddler BBs and would not take to their proper height until the second year?
Butterflies and me are in hefty competition over the question: who loves them most? :smileyhappy:

Thank you for mentioning the tomatoes! I think I need to stop by my garden center some time this week. Even if I cannot plant them in the perfect spot, I can always give it a try. One year we had such a huge harvest that my mother tried freezing them. But that did not work out, the tomato sauce did not taste well. And thanks for the tip about not refrigerating them! One hears so many conflicting suggestions these days.

Caroline
~ Caroline
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Thanks for your good wishes. I do feel better after going to the memorial service and sharing stories of her with so many others who cared about her.
KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

caroline88 wrote:
Kathy,

I don't know how big your BB will be. Maybe they are of a variety that is meant to stay small? Mine grow taller than me and I think it would take two persons holding hands to span around it. But the first year, directly after planting, they were smaller. Maybe because they had to recover from the shock of adjusting to a new garden? Or maybe they were just toddler BBs and would not take to their proper height until the second year?
Butterflies and me are in hefty competition over the question: who loves them most? :smileyhappy:

Thank you for mentioning the tomatoes! I think I need to stop by my garden center some time this week. Even if I cannot plant them in the perfect spot, I can always give it a try. One year we had such a huge harvest that my mother tried freezing them. But that did not work out, the tomato sauce did not taste well. And thanks for the tip about not refrigerating them! One hears so many conflicting suggestions these days.

Caroline

Well, my BB says--(it talked to me today!) it will be getting a leg up on that chain link fense, and climb to heights of ten feet....and spread itself out in the same manner. It's a good thing I have electric hedgers! Although, I'm not sure what my neighbor is going to think, when it starts taking over her side of the property! She's 90 years old, so I guess I'd better keep my babies on my own side of the fense...I don't think she's into lifting heavy trimming equipment!

I went to the nursery section of our home building company this morning, and bought a flat of Impatiens...multi colored....and a bunch of yellow dwarf Marigolds. I hate the smell of those things, but they are cute, and look nice around all the lavendar and purples I have in my other flowers. I also got this weird looking plant...I haven't looked it up yet, it's called Nemesia fruticans. It's a small plant that has little flowers, smaller than the size of a pencil eraser, and it resembles a cross between the face of a snap dragon, and a pansy....the coloring is soooo pretty and cute, I just had to have it! Now I need to look it up, and see EXACTLY what I bought! It doesn't look like it will get very big, but one never knows!

I've never bought these two tomatoes before. I guess yellow is in this year, for me! :-) If they're as productive as they say, I think my neighbor's will be in for a treat!

Tomato - Lemon Boy
Smooth, high-quality, 6 oz. fruits with attractive, light lemon-yellow flesh. Vigorous, indeterminate plants are resistant to nematodes, verticillium and fusarium wilts and several other common tomato diseases. Ready to pick about 72 days after plants are set out. GARDEN HINTS: Water deeply during dry weather. This site had a lot of comment on this tomato. Sounds pretty prolific!!
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/30940/index.html

This next tomato is an English Heirloom, called Mr. Stripey. It should prove to be an interesting looking tomato. Low Acid and Bicolor. Highly productive, plum size fruits. Yellow flesh with pink stripes and pink center. Mild flavor.
http://gurneys.com/product.asp?pn=66371&Mr.+Stripey+Tomato&bhcd2=1175031709

Message Edited by KathyS on 03-27-200703:36 PM

Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Thursday at last! I had my empty container full again within the half hour. Now one big bush is perfectly trimmed, the other one is still as it was. And the babies are trimmed also. I discovered that I had planted one more than I remembered. This "lack of faith" baby will be replanted this weekend, to the center of the garden. Otherwise they would be pushing each other too much.

Why that nickname? It was my lack of faith in the will of the branch to root.

Caroline
~ Caroline
Frequent Contributor
caroline88
0 Kudos

Still Spring, with a few touches of early morning frost here and there. We are now in for a dry spell.

My Spring cleaning is completed. The shrubs have been trimmed and one of the four small buddleias has been replanted to the center of the garden, the lavender which stood there, replanted in the back yard border.

I was happy to note that the soil was not as dry as I had expected. And the roots underneath the one year old baby buddleia were much deeper than I had expected. They did not look like much when I trimmed them but this gives me hope that my little ones are UP to something :smileywink:

Caroline
~ Caroline