Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Thyme Out - Off Topic Com. Room

To all:

Since we all tend to go astray-off topic [creatively, or otherwise] on this board, I'm going to introduce a thread which we can jump into, to expound on other things, besides gardening like issues.  Talk about whatever comes to mind!  But, as Becke says, "keep it PG"....no talking dirty, unless it has to do with your garden gloves! :smileyhappy:

Kathy

KathyS
0 Kudos

Posting problems

SunltCloud:

G- I'm going to continue our discussion here.

Yes, people...especially family members, don't want their names broadcasted throughout cyber space!  It's bad enough that my name is!  I do mention my grand kids names, from time to time....but I think my 8 year old Emma likes to see her name in print!  :smileyvery-happy: 

I can just visualize, too, double names for your "characters" in your stories....that would be awful!

I usually write directly on the boards.  If it's a poem, and inspiration is there at that moment, you get it first hand from me...not much editing is done.  I actually started that last poem I wrote, on the board, but it felt like it was going 'long'....so I took it off, and finished writing it in my Word program. 

I assumed the "Word" button on these reply windows was for transferring what is written on our home Word program, directly into the posted message... directly as written.  It transfers it, but not as written in the format to which it is intended.  I don't know why this happens, as I've never asked for help in this matter.

I don't cut and paste much whole messages, if I can avoid it.  If I know I might be timed out, I copy it before I hit the send button...I do this with my keyboard keys....not my mouse.  Then, if I'm timed out when I hit send, I go through the process of getting back to the reply, and paste it back on, again, using my keyboard keys.  That works.  These functions are all written on my keyboard.  I also edit my posts on the board this way, cutting and pasting lines as I see fit.  The right clicking of the mouse will not show copy and cut, only paste, in these text boxes.  They used to, but not with this new formating program.

But to paste it into another program, to correct spelling, or whatever, and then try to paste it on the board, it doesn't always work.  For some reason the format changes to the program you took it to.  I honestly don't understand the whole computer process...

I've seen some of your writing, your stories, memoirs, etc. show up in a font I don't recognize as normal font for these boards.  I assume these are the ones you've written off the board, and copied and pasted into a post. 

I know there are a lot of glitches in this program that B&N has given us.  Some more compatable with different computers and users, than others.  I just get frustrated, because of the amount of poems that I've posted over time..... but for the most part, I lump it!  I deal it, but not always happily.  I have my moments of grumbling!  I'll try to keep it down to a dull roar. :smileyhappy:

Kathy

Sunltcloud wrote:

I know what you mean; just as I sometimes lose a message because of timing out, I'm occasionally concerned that a post could land on the board prematurely with one wrong keystroke. When I cut and paste a memoir on the board I usually change the names (my family does not look kindly on publicity)and I have the vision of twice as many people showing up in the story as I had intended.
KathyS wrote in part:

Unless you type it directly on these boards, copy and pasting is so messed up.  Then I'm afraid someone will read the mess before I get a chance to correct it!  If we could just be a simple copy and paste job, it'd make my life so much easier!  Phew!

KathyS
0 Kudos

Becke is off to Chicago...again!

Becke!  No, I'm not talking to myself....just playing....you know about what mice do, when mama goes away? :smileyvery-happy:  And a busy girl, you've been....so I just wanted to help out, here.

So glad to hear your son is finally going to graduate this year....yea! I never had any doubts you'd find a way to get him out of school and into a job.....Ha!  But sorry to hear you had to sell your husband and daughter into a white slavery operation to do it! .....at least you've got a lap top out of the deal, so you'll still have us! LOL

Have a wonderful time, and think of me when you order one of those Razzmartinis! :smileyhappy:

Yours in spirit!

Kathy (one of the mice)

Becke wrote:

Wasn't sure where to post this, but this looks like our busiest thread right now. Sorry my posts have been so short lately. I've had a lot going on -- writing the new blogs for BN.com (don't know when it's going to be up, but it has a name: Garden Variety), writing for my regular magazines plus a new one, working on my fiction story, going to writing conventions and trying to keep up with all the family issues -- whew! If my hair wasn't pretty white to start with, it would be after the way this past year has gone.

Anyway, I'm leaving for Chicago (yes, again) early tomorrow and I'll be back late Monday or early Tuesday. I'll have my new laptop (yay!) so I'll check in when I can. I'll get to see both of my kids, which is a rare occurence since they live in different states. We're all meeting for my son's college graduation -- yippee! I'm a proud mama (THREE degrees!) but also relieved because we recently paid our last tuition payment. You cannot believe the relief!! 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Becke is off to Chicago...again!

Why do you think I'm so busy? I am a freelancer writer with a kid in college -- do you know how many articles it takes to pay for tuition? A LOT!

Whew, I'm a little burned out at the moment. Long day -- the drive up here was horrendous. There was an accident with fatalities (so sad) that brought things to a crashing halt for an hour, and it rained almost the whole way. The hotel charges for internet so I'm only going to be on here for a  minute, but reading these posts made me smile. More later!

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Out of action.

Just to let folks know that I haven't posted for awhile because I have been in hospital having my appendix taken out!  I became ill last Sunday, went into hospital on Tuesday morning, was operated on Wednesday morning and came home on Saturday evening (after twisting the doc's arm!).  So much for the miracles of modern medicine, now I am spending a week lounging in my lovely garden because it is still a bit painful to sit at the puter.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:

Just to let folks know that I haven't posted for awhile because I have been in hospital having my appendix taken out!  I became ill last Sunday, went into hospital on Tuesday morning, was operated on Wednesday morning and came home on Saturday evening (after twisting the doc's arm!).  So much for the miracles of modern medicine, now I am spending a week lounging in my lovely garden because it is still a bit painful to sit at the puter.

Choisya! I'm so sorry we weren't there to cheer you on while you were ill. I hope the operation went well and that you're feeling better now. I've never had my appendix out but it sounds a little scary. I hope you are taking it easy -- you know, reading, eating bon-bons and having your slaves fan you with palm leaves. I hope the weather is nice so you can sit outside and get some sun. Feel better soon!

KathyS
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:

Good Grief!  Your appendix?!  You're not supposed to have your appendix out at your age! :smileyvery-happy:  Gads, mine's still hanging in there.  That doesn't sound like fun, at all!  I was wondering what happened to you...you've been too quiet! LOL  I was just about ready to go searching for you.

Get plenty of rest!  Tell Cleo to take good care of you.....and not walk on your stomach! :smileyhappy:

Kathy

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:

Well glad you're home now. Take it easy. Rest well. Remember to eat your yogurt now since your digestive helper is gone.

Believe me I know the adominal surgery pain myself. The folding is the last bit to stop twinging. So my hearty sympathies. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

My camera died today. It was frustrating because the place where we had our huge family graduation brunch was planted so beautiful, I wanted to get pictures to share with you all -- and especially with our recovering invalid, Choisya. There was a mass planting of peonies (which finished in Cincinnati a few weeks ago) that were simply breathtaking!
KathyS
0 Kudos

Bummer!  Was it your camera, or your batteries?  If it was because your batteries died, I have no sympathy! (been there, done that)  Always carry spare batteries with a digital camera!  If it was your camera, I'm sorry....okay, I'm sorry either way.... :smileysad:  I wanted pictures!
becke_davis wrote:
My camera died today. It was frustrating because the place where we had our huge family graduation brunch was planted so beautiful, I wanted to get pictures to share with you all -- and especially with our recovering invalid, Choisya. There was a mass planting of peonies (which finished in Cincinnati a few weeks ago) that were simply breathtaking!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I think it's really dead. Bought new batteries and still nothing. Grrr.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: My June Garden.

[ Edited ]

Here is a link to some photos of my June Garden, which include a photo of a Tulip Vase I spotted on my recent visit to Hampton Court Palace - I've always wanted one of these!  These were popular during the period of Tulipomania when tulips cost a fortune. 

Tulip Fever  is an excellent novel written about this madness. 

(Password to my link is Choisya - run it as a Slideshow.)

Message Edited by Choisya on 06-16-2009 09:40 AM
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:

Here is a link to some photos of my June Garden, which include a photo of a Tulip Vase I spotted on my recent visit to Hampton Court Palace - I've always wanted one of these!  These were popular during the period of Tulipomania when tulips cost a fortune. 

Tulip Fever  is an excellent novel written about this madness. 

(Password to my link is Choisya - run it as a Slideshow.)

Message Edited by Choisya on 06-16-2009 09:40 AM

Thanks so much for posting this Choisya -- one day we'll all come over for tours of your garden! I've always been fascinated with the tulip craze. Here are more books about it:
Tulip   The Tulip   Tulips   The Black Tulip  

Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

What a lovely garden, Choisya.  Thanks for sharing.
KathyS
0 Kudos

Thyme Out - Par4C

Par4course wrote:

I love it!!   Let's see...

My little place is an apple tree,

with a dragon to heat up my tea .

I've blossoms in spring, 

from the branches they spring,

And apples to eat in the fall.

Actually, you are welcome to visit either of my homes at any time. :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Par4course on 06-20-2009 09:10 AM

Cute! LOL.  I like it!

Par, I brought this conversation over here, mainly because that thread we were on was REALLY going amuck.....and this is now a personal conversation to you.

Have you ever visited the thread topic of Wordsmithonia, in the Com. Room board?  That's the kingdom Becke was talking about. I don't know how familiar you are with it.  It's all make-believe.  Just a pretend place, with made up stories.  Sounds like you'd fit right in!

Nothing much has been happening on it, lately.  I stopped reading the last few posts.  It takes a lot out of me to keep up with all the crazy subjects and characters that can originate from people.  It gets into more fantasy than I like.   These characters, I have no idea what they are about, let alone try to even pronounce half of their names!  They make no sense to me, because I don't read fantasy.  And to figure them into a story, it's impossible for me.  But, I think it's all come to a dead end right now.  It may have taken its last breath. 

I do like creative thought, as you've probably guessed, but  last night I sort of got carried away, here on Becke's board.  My mind tends to wander into who knows where....when I get tired, I get silly, and everything I write starts to rhyme.  It's a fantasy of sorts, but nothing that has strange creatures with strange names!  Dragons and fairies, and gnomes and trolls, that's about it for me! :smileyhappy:

I've got to run, for now....thanks for the invite.... maybe one day I'll take you up on it...tea and apples...yum! LOL

K.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Thyme Out - Par4C

Kathy - I think gardens inspire thoughts of make believe -- gnomes, fairies, elves -- all of them live in gardens.
KathyS
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
Kathy - I think gardens inspire thoughts of make believe -- gnomes, fairies, elves -- all of them live in gardens.

So I'm finding out! 

Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

Thanks, Kathy...I'm glad you liked my little poem.  I don't know that section,but I'll try to find it.  Just to see if anything is going on with it.  I do like fantasy, not enough of it around in my opinion.  I have a big dragon painted on my classroom window, and stuffed ones around the room, plus, of course, lots of books of dragon stories.

Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

Checked out the Community Room - wow, lots of talk about lots of things over there, isn't there?  The Wordsmithsonia thread is apparently continued from another site?  Really quite complicated after awhile, itseems.  I thought of adding something, but not sure if I have the time to keep at it.  I have times when I can't get on this gardening board, and check out the Unabashedly Bookish and Harry Potter boards out as much as I'd like.  I don't know how you do it. 
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I don't get there very often, but it's a fun place!