Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Using up the pumpkin

KathyS wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Yep, a cooking pumpkin is not a jackolantern pumpkin. Jacks are a hybrid form.

Yeah you just want it to sink in good. Around the size of a butternut, a bit more heavy when you hold it. They're all the above, striped. They not those dried goards though. You've probaly seen them and just not known what they were. I try new food on a lark, that's how I found them. This weeks discovery, the pilute.

TiggerBear, did you mean the  Pluot  ?  I tried Googling Pilute....try it and see what shows up. LOL

I've eaten Pluots, but they're not my favorite fruit...I'm not a big plum eater, either.

I've used the star fruit for fruit platter decorations...really a neat look...  When working for Albertsons, and a new fruit would come it, we would try them.  We had to, to tell the customers what they tasted like.  Customers ALWAYS ask (and if not, you ask them)  But with some fruit, you have to know how long to wait for it to ripen.  You can't just eat it as soon as it comes in and goes on the display tables.  And about the time they are ripe, they throw them away!  There is a fine line for ordering, displaying, and tossing them.

Plantains are something I've never tried, mainly because you have to wait until they turn black, and fry/cook them...They're not something you can eat off the shelf.  Depends on the area your store is in, as to how they sell.  If a customer has never seen them before, they think they're rotten bananas!

A lot of these new exotic fruits don't sell, for a couple of reasons....too exotic, and too expensive.....but we had to carry them anyway, just incase someone asked for them...it was all a big waste of food and money, throwing these expensive fruits away.  

I'd demo a lot of these things, just to get the customer aquainted with them...and it was a waste of my time, since I had other work to do.... My biggest gripe.  But the best thing was, if I saw a customer looking over a particular fruit, I'd come up to them and ask if they'd like to try it.  That, more often than not, sold the product.  I wrote a letter to our company, when we were out on strike, about how much food is wasted in the market.  How much money is lost every day.  I worked all departments, at one time or another, and I knew what and how much we should carry....but they always wanted, not just their produce tables, but all shelves and cases stuffed to the top...just for looks.  Just stupid marketing, in most cases.  Grrrrrrrrrrr.  How did I get on this topic! LOL  Boy, something pushed my button!

Ahh this is the third time I'm posting this. Freaking board keeps eating it!

(deep breath) Ok here goes.

Well I spelled it like the label, so... But yes is a plum looking yellow stone fruit. Mine turned out unbelievably sweet, ultra wet with a tart skin; kinda like a sucupernom.

Well where I shop, no one there to tale anything about the foods. (chuckle) You should see me in the Asian store. Nobody who works there speaks english, and over half the labels have little to no english text either. I've been using galanga powder for 6 months and I still have no idea what it is. Good on pork though.

Star fruit, more pretty than tasty in my opinion. (shrug)

But you so don't know plantains. They can be used from parrot green to black/brown. It just depends on the recipe.

Well that's ecky. Just imagine my area, I have to spend 10 mins every week explaining what that thing is to the checker. Every now and then I be picking something up and get to share what it is.  And it makes my month when I run across the chance to ask someone else, who's buying one. One day several years ago there were a crowd of Latino women grabbing this funny looking melon up like it was gold. I shyly walked over and had to ask what it was. Little english, I just got handed one, and the words "honeydew sort of". Sort of my butt, the Santa lady coranda melon is honeydew on crack. Just when you cut one do it over a bowl, more juice than a watermelon, almost like opening a coconut. 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I agree about the star fruit. They look really pretty but the taste isn't impressive.
Contributor
FindingLydia
0 Kudos

Becke- I found it!!! I'm still working on cut & paste but neither my home or work computer will let me. TTFN!
"Since things neither exist nor don't exist,are neither real nor unreal,are utterly beyond adopting and rejecting -one might as well burst out laughing!" -Tibetan Nyingma Master Longchenpa Rabjampa - 14th century ____________________________________________________________
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Lydia - we've discovered that you can right click on pictures on the web and click "copy image." If you do that, you can just paste a picture into a post. Unfortunately, pictures on your own computer only work as attachments. Right now, moderators can add pictures that way but no one else. You can email a picture to me and I can post it, if you want. Or if you use something like Webshots online, you can copy it from there.
Blogger
Michelle_Buonfiglio
0 Kudos

Hey! Is this the Pumpkin Patch? Cause I've got a burning question.  Please don't laugh, ok?  I've always wanted to bake nice, salty pumpkin seeds after carving 'kins w/my kids.  I mean, I think it'd be really cool to eat em w/ some nice hot cocoa.  Make some Fall memories that are more than just pig races and vats of corn.  Not that there's anything wrong w/ that, but for once, I'd like to be more impressive than baby hogs, ya know? But I never can find a recipe.

Can someone help me? Becke?  -- Michelle (Heart to Heart)

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Michelle_Buonfiglio wrote:
Hey! Is this the Pumpkin Patch? Cause I've got a burning question.  Please don't laugh, ok?  I've always wanted to bake nice, salty pumpkin seeds after carving 'kins w/my kids.  I mean, I think it'd be really cool to eat em w/ some nice hot cocoa.  Make some Fall memories that are more than just pig races and vats of corn.  Not that there's anything wrong w/ that, but for once, I'd like to be more impressive than baby hogs, ya know? But I never can find a recipe.

Roasted pumpkin seeds

cleaned dry seeds

oil of choice

salt (if desired)

Chili powder (if desired)

poor a thin layer of oil across a sheet pan, lay out seeds, slide into a 350 oven 

gently roast for 3-5 mins toss over and give aprox 2 more mins

remove from oven and lay out on paper towels salt immediately, and sprinkle any desired chili power while still piping hot

when they're cool enough to eat enjoy a nice high fiber snack (yes the shell is edible)

I posted this a few back, but thought I'd dig it up for you.
KathyS
0 Kudos

Pumpkin Seeds

[ Edited ]

Michelle_Buonfiglio wrote:

Michelle, you kill me!  A burning question?....goodness!  Since TiggerBear gave you her version of how she handles her pumpkin seeds....I'll give you mine.....  Put everyone to work with this one!  The more pumpkin seeds you have, the more varied flavors you can end up with...get the seasonings and the frying pans out!  I personally enjoy mine with a nice glass of Pinot noir. :smileyvery-happy:

I like to slow/low flame, sauté all pumpkin/squash seeds in olive oil....seasonings or seasoning salts of choice, as I stir them around in the pan........I can smell the garlic and salt, usually.... Asian, or Mexican, or Italian...you name the flavor you want them to taste like....

Prep:
They say not to wash the seeds, but to pull the seeds out of "the goopy stuff", and wipe them as clean as you can get them with a paper towel...giving more flavor to the seeds.  If anything is left on the seeds, it cooks itself off.....I don't wait for them to dry, I usually cook them soon after I clean them....Sometimes I let them sit a while in the seasonings/and olive oil..... to absorb a little more flavors. 

I like this method, because I have complete control over the heat, the oil, and the flavors...how I want them to taste and look.  Constantly stir them around in the pan.  Slowly cooking.  It doesn't take that long.  I like them done to crisp, and golden brown.  That way I know all of the flavors are incorporated, and the nut is done to perfection.  I don't usually eat the shell (I don't need that much fiber!), but a lot of people do like all that added crunch.

I actually like the seeds from the Butternut squash, a little better.  They seem to have a little more flavor, and it's easier to extract the nice plump nut.

One Halloween, we had a family pumpkin carving....a dozen very large pumpkins!  I had everyone save the "innards", I bagged it all up, and took it home.  I stored it in the refrigerator until I had the time to play with the seeds....boy, it was a lot of seeds to roast!  But, so good!  I gave most of them away!

Have fun, no matter how you "play" with the seeds!

Kathy S.

Message Edited by KathyS on 08-24-2009 04:16 PM
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Pumpkin Seeds

Michelle - There's a reason I'm not the Food moderator! I'm going to print out Kathy and Tigger's instructions/recipes, so thanks for asking. 
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Yeah just watch it. Wasabi pumpkin seeds are additive, if you have any slight taste for wasabi. Personally I don't like garlic ones. And just good salt is perfect.

KathyS
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
Michelle - There's a reason I'm not the Food moderator! I'm going to print out Kathy and Tigger's instructions/recipes, so thanks for asking. 

Ms. Becke, the undomestic goddess! :smileyvery-happy:  I may be domestic...but  you surpass me in the goddess department! Ha!

I forgot to mention....DON'T soak the seeds in a lot of olive oil....either toss them just to coat, or lightly coat the pan.  It's just for flavor, and gives a sticking surface on the seeds, for the seasonings....I suppose you could dry saute them in a non stick pan, if you didn't want anything on them.  And, as TiggerBear mentioned....dump them out onto paper towels, if they have oil on them...I blot them a little.  After they've gotten cold, you can store them in a plastic bag, or closed container.  They won't last long,  because you'll eat them too fast....so you don't really have to worry about them going rancid.  But I've kept some around for a couple of weeks.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Speaking of The Undomestic Goddess, Sophie Kinsella -- who wrote a fabulous book by that title -- is visiting at Center Stage! And yes, Kathy, you nailed the "undomestic" part. I'm still snorting at "goddess," though!
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Ms. Becke, the undomestic goddess! :smileyvery-happy:  I may be domestic...but  you surpass me in the goddess department! Ha!

I forgot to mention....DON'T soak the seeds in a lot of olive oil....either toss them just to coat, or lightly coat the pan.  It's just for flavor, and gives a sticking surface on the seeds, for the seasonings....I suppose you could dry saute them in a non stick pan, if you didn't want anything on them.  And, as TiggerBear mentioned....dump them out onto paper towels, if they have oil on them...I blot them a little.  After they've gotten cold, you can store them in a plastic bag, or closed container.  They won't last long,  because you'll eat them too fast....so you don't really have to worry about them going rancid.  But I've kept some around for a couple of weeks.

Get cold? (laughing) You actually have any that last that long?

Yeah the oil is really just for a little additional flavor and to get the salt to stick. Just like popcorn. If you are REALLY oil shy for health reasons. I found an air pop recipe, if anyone is interested.

becke_davis

You all are making me hungry! Lydia sent me a picture of her lovely sunflower tattoo to share with you. I may yet get a tattoo -- my sisters and nieces have them. My sister got a lovely morning glory as a reward when she got her divorce. It's really pretty! I like this one, too:

sunflower_tattoo_1b.jpg
Contributor
FindingLydia
0 Kudos

Re: Sunflowers

If ya do I'll give you the name of my tattoo artist (he he) I'll even be there to hold your hand if ya want!  :smileywink:
"Since things neither exist nor don't exist,are neither real nor unreal,are utterly beyond adopting and rejecting -one might as well burst out laughing!" -Tibetan Nyingma Master Longchenpa Rabjampa - 14th century ____________________________________________________________
Contributor
FindingLydia
0 Kudos

Who's cooking? I'll be right over- I'm hungry enough for granny's possum but I'd much rather have something pumpkin!!! te he he!
KathyS
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
Speaking of The Undomestic Goddess, Sophie Kinsella -- who wrote a fabulous book by that title -- is visiting at Center Stage! And yes, Kathy, you nailed the "undomestic" part. I'm still snorting at "goddess," though!

Yes, that was a great book...I highly recommend it for a light read! 

And, my dear, if one is to be a true Goddess, which I know you are....way down deep....one must learn to curtail their snorting...it is most unseemly!

KathyS
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

KathyS wrote:

becke_davis wrote:

Get cold? (laughing) You actually have any that last that long?

Yeah the oil is really just for a little additional flavor and to get the salt to stick. Just like popcorn. If you are REALLY oil shy for health reasons. I found an air pop recipe, if anyone is interested.

Oh, shut up! (laughing)....you know what I meant! 

You have an air pop recipe for pumpkin seeds?  This I gotta hear!

KathyS
0 Kudos

FindingLydia wrote:
Who's cooking? I'll be right over- I'm hungry enough for granny's possum but I'd much rather have something pumpkin!!! te he he!

I just fixed Salmon and butternut squash...light and easy tonight...

BTW, nice flower! :smileyhappy:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Hey, the possum is out on my deck with the raccoons. I'd better warn him to hightail out of here before he gets made into possum pie! I think I'll stick with the pumpkin seeds.
Blogger
Michelle_Buonfiglio
0 Kudos

Hey, TiggerBear and KathyS, I even scrolled back before I posted and missed the recipe, so thanks for posting!  d'oh!

So, the oil thing? I never thought of it, which probably was my first and biggest mistake -- as well as the 'removing all the goop.' So I started out with totally dried-out seeds. Bake those, and no wonder they were pathetic in the end.

These recipes sound so great! I love the idea of messing around w/seasonings, and letting my kids choose which ones they want to add, cause they each have faves and like different spices -- and both like stuff pretty spicy. :smileyhappy: 

The final products sound so much better than the boxed pumpkin seeds we used to buy as kids with the "Indian Chief" on the front. Do you remember those? Maybe they were regional. 

Pumpkin-carving time is pretty fun around our house, and one of the traditions I canmanage to a)remember and b) actually make happen. So I may be able to add this to the festivities of putting big, sharp knives into the hands of my kids. Now I can include boiling oil.  What fun!!!

Thanks, guys!  And becke, we all worship at your feet as our Goddess of the Greenery...