Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
FindingLydia
0 Kudos

Re: Pumpkin Seeds

Becke wrote:

Hey, the possum is out on my deck with the raccoons. I'd better warn him to hightail out of here before he gets made into possum pie! I think I'll stick with the pumpkin seeds.

Some crunchy pumpkin seeds sound good. I usually make them w/ my preschool class. I was glad to see the ideas- I can use them in the fall! Thanks! :smileyhappy: Now does anyone have apple recipes??

"Since things neither exist nor don't exist,are neither real nor unreal,are utterly beyond adopting and rejecting -one might as well burst out laughing!" -Tibetan Nyingma Master Longchenpa Rabjampa - 14th century ____________________________________________________________
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Michelle_Buonfiglio wrote:

Hey, TiggerBear and KathyS, I even scrolled back before I posted and missed the recipe, so thanks for posting!  d'oh!

So, the oil thing? I never thought of it, which probably was my first and biggest mistake -- as well as the 'removing all the goop.' So I started out with totally dried-out seeds. Bake those, and no wonder they were pathetic in the end.

These recipes sound so great! I love the idea of messing around w/seasonings, and letting my kids choose which ones they want to add, cause they each have faves and like different spices -- and both like stuff pretty spicy. :smileyhappy: 

The final products sound so much better than the boxed pumpkin seeds we used to buy as kids with the "Indian Chief" on the front. Do you remember those? Maybe they were regional. 

Pumpkin-carving time is pretty fun around our house, and one of the traditions I canmanage to a)remember and b) actually make happen. So I may be able to add this to the festivities of putting big, sharp knives into the hands of my kids. Now I can include boiling oil.  What fun!!!

Thanks, guys!  And becke, we all worship at your feet as our Goddess of the Greenery...

Yeah nationaly sold ones come from the David company. And hubby found a online seed and nut shipper that will sell them by the pound.

You can, and I do wash off the goop. Just remeber they need to be fresh seeds. Yesterday's are no good.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
Hey, the possum is out on my deck with the raccoons. I'd better warn him to hightail out of here before he gets made into possum pie! I think I'll stick with the pumpkin seeds.

No thank you. I've eaten possom. Too much work, easier to get a pork loin (which is as close as I can descibe it tasting).

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Get cold? (laughing) You actually have any that last that long?

Yeah the oil is really just for a little additional flavor and to get the salt to stick. Just like popcorn. If you are REALLY oil shy for health reasons. I found an air pop recipe, if anyone is interested.

Oh, shut up! (laughing)....you know what I meant! 

You have an air pop recipe for pumpkin seeds?  This I gotta hear!

Ok my mother tried this with cooking pumpkins. She told me that the seeds are a bit smaller and more delicate in taste than the jackolanterns in her opinion. (shrug) Never found much difference myself, the cooking ones are just easier to clean. Anyway..

Wash you seeds, no goop; they won't get heated enough for the goop to come off. Soak the seeds in brine water for 1h. Get out your hot air popper and toss them in after shaking them off. Cook just like popcorn. Eat, enjoy. They puff up funny. Still tasty though. 

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Apples

FindingLydia wrote:

Some crunchy pumpkin seeds sound good. I usually make them w/ my preschool class. I was glad to see the ideas- I can use them in the fall! Thanks! :smileyhappy: Now does anyone have apple recipes??

How many do you want?

Contributor
FindingLydia
0 Kudos

FindingLydia wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

How many do you want?

Well... I have 17 preschoolers enrolled- about 5 cups should cover it! :smileyhappy:

"Since things neither exist nor don't exist,are neither real nor unreal,are utterly beyond adopting and rejecting -one might as well burst out laughing!" -Tibetan Nyingma Master Longchenpa Rabjampa - 14th century ____________________________________________________________
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I think Tigger was offering to give us some apple recipes. Just give us a couple of your favorites, Tigger -- I don't want to put you to a lot of work!
TiggerBear

FindingLydia wrote:
FindingLydia wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

How many do you want?

Well... I have 17 preschoolers enrolled- about 5 cups should cover it! :smileyhappy:

(scratching head) Preschoolers hugh? Hmm ok I've got one preschoolers can make themselves.

Tools needed 

Muffin tin, one slot for each child

Butter knives, the plastic ones should do the trick

and a few apple core punchers

one oven set to 350

big bowl

mixing spoon

bowls to eat out of and forks to eat with

a few plates, one for each corer

Ingredients

1 apple per child (Fiji, granny smith, empires, gala - any of those will do; you want a baking apple)

Cinamon about 1 pinch worth per apple

Sugar about 2 spoons worth per apple

soft butter about 3 pats worth per apple

can of spray grease

servings of milk

Have each child wash their hands.(good food safety lesson time there) With supervision have each child wash and core their apple. Use the plate under nenith the apple while coring, it helps. In a bowl blend butter, sugar, and cinamon. Have each child stuff their apple hole with the butter mixture, with the plastic knives. Fingers will work too, but that gets messy. Grease the muffin tin. Have them place their apple in a greased muffin slot. If there is any left over butter mixture, grace the tops of the apples with it. Slide in muffin tin into oven. When the apple goes all soft and bubbly remove and allow to cool mostly. Serve up into bowls and enjoy with a nice cold milk.

Contributor
FindingLydia
0 Kudos

FindingLydia wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

How many do you want?

TiggerBear wrote:

(scratching head) Preschoolers hugh? Hmm ok I've got one preschoolers can make themselves.

Tools needed 

one oven set to 350

big bowl

mixing spoon

Ingredients

1 apple per child (Fiji, granny smith, empires, gala - any of those will do; you want a baking apple)

can of spray grease

servings of milk

Have each child wash their hands.(good food safety lesson time there) With supervision have each child wash and core their apple. Use the plate under nenith the apple while coring, it helps. In a bowl blend butter, sugar, and cinamon. Have each child stuff their apple hole with the butter mixture, with the plastic knives. Fingers will work too, but that gets messy. Grease the muffin tin. Have them place their apple in a greased muffin slot. If there is any left over butter mixture, grace the tops of the apples with it. Slide in muffin tin into oven. When the apple goes all soft and bubbly remove and allow to cool mostly. Serve up into bowls and enjoy with a nice cold milk.

(laughing at self) I'm so silly! I was wondering how you were going to get those pumpkin seeds to me. Guess my mind was elsewhere! That is a grreat recipe!!! I will try it later in September and let you know how it goes! I love to have my plans done ahead of time :smileyhappy: Thanks a bunch for the recipe!

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
I think Tigger was offering to give us some apple recipes. Just give us a couple of your favorites, Tigger -- I don't want to put you to a lot of work!

Hmm there are so many to give you. Tell you what, I'll post a few favs with a apple guide over on the food thread tomarrow.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Vents and heat waves, and everything else!

Good grief, Tigger, this is awful! 

As to the dehydration issue, my dr. is always after me to drink more liquids. For some reason, I never seem to drink enough.

I sympathize with your nephew's broken ankle -- sounds like he really made a mess of it.

I hope nothing else goes wrong in your family --  and I think you're about due to win the lottery!

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Stoned dates also make a nice stuffing for cored apples.

TiggerBear wrote:

FindingLydia wrote:
FindingLydia wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

How many do you want?

Tools needed 

one oven set to 350

big bowl

mixing spoon

Ingredients

can of spray grease

servings of milk

Blogger
Michelle_Buonfiglio
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

. When the apple goes all soft and bubbly remove and allow to cool mostly. Serve up into bowls and enjoy with a nice cold milk.

I think my kids will love this, too, TiggerBear!  And my daughter would love to use her hands to stuff the butter mixture into the apple. She loves to get all gooey when she's working w/food, like it's sculpting or something. Only problem is, she wants to do it at the dinner table, and it always looks like an animal's been nesting at her place by the time dinner's over.  Did I mention she's almost ten? But she's a really good kid, so I just sigh and talk about the things we can do at home, but not other folks' homes... :smileyhappy:

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:

Stoned dates also make a nice stuffing for cored apples.

TiggerBear wrote:

FindingLydia wrote:
FindingLydia wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

How many do you want?

Tools needed 

one oven set to 350

big bowl

mixing spoon

Ingredients

can of spray grease

servings of milk

Well the idea with the butter stuff is as the apple cooks it forms a sause with the apple's juices.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Vents and heat waves, and everything else!

becke_davis wrote:

Good grief, Tigger, this is awful! 

As to the dehydration issue, my dr. is always after me to drink more liquids. For some reason, I never seem to drink enough.

I sympathize with your nephew's broken ankle -- sounds like he really made a mess of it.

I hope nothing else goes wrong in your family --  and I think you're about due to win the lottery!

(chuckle) Hah. I've beenoff a few days because of newest round. I make plans, Coyote thinks it's a good laugh. (sigh)

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Michelle_Buonfiglio wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

. When the apple goes all soft and bubbly remove and allow to cool mostly. Serve up into bowls and enjoy with a nice cold milk.

I think my kids will love this, too, TiggerBear!  And my daughter would love to use her hands to stuff the butter mixture into the apple. She loves to get all gooey when she's working w/food, like it's sculpting or something. Only problem is, she wants to do it at the dinner table, and it always looks like an animal's been nesting at her place by the time dinner's over.  Did I mention she's almost ten? But she's a really good kid, so I just sigh and talk about the things we can do at home, but not other folks' homes... :smileyhappy:

Mmm I think my mom would tell you that's familiar.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Identify this one please, it's creaping me out.

[ Edited ]

Ok I got this weird plant, well several of them, comming out of the green mountain spread. They have dark green oval leaves and a purple stalk like stem. Anyone have an idea?

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Identify this one please, it's creaping me out.

Do you have the pictures posted online anywhere? I think I'm the only one who can post pictures from a private computer for now. Contact me in a PM if you want me to post a picture for you, Tigger.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Identify this one please, it's creeping me out.

TiggerBear,

Could it be the purple stalk Bok Choy?

TiggerBear wrote:

Ok I got this weird plant, well several of them, coming out of the green mountain spread. They have dark green oval leaves and a purple stalk like stem. Anyone have an idea?

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Identify this one please, it's creeping me out.

KathyS wrote:

TiggerBear,

Could it be the purple stalk Bok Choy?

TiggerBear wrote:

Ok I got this weird plant, well several of them, coming out of the green mountain spread. They have dark green oval leaves and a purple stalk like stem. Anyone have an idea?

(shaking head) No I doubt it, the leaves are only 1 1/2 to their ovalness.  The stem resembles rudabega but the leaves don't match.
And Becke I would but.... my camera in such an early version of a digital that I need to replace it rather than use it (piece of fuzzy picture junk). I'll get a cheep disposable fri and get them to put the pictures on disc for me.