Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Re: Thyme Out - Off Topic Com. Room

I just wanted to share with someone.  I had myself a few friends visit me while I was in the garden Friday night.  I was so surprised.  We have 3 apple trees and a pear tree in our field.  It is lovely, we share - the deer come down and eat the apples in the summertime in the evening.  They have been coming down about 8-8:30.  Well, now that is about the time I go and water my garden, which is at the most 20 feet away from the trees.  Needless to say they have not been coming to the apple trees till after I am done in my garden. 

I guess apparently I was in my garden to long on Friday, which I was.  I was there for over an hour just diddling around and watering.  I looked up and there was a doe.  She just stood there looking at me, then ran over into the neighbors yard and stopped before the wood line.  Then I realized she went up away from me and ventured down to the one apple tree.  She stood there eating her apple and watching me.  It was very neat to be that close to the deer. 

I very much enjoy all nature and watching the animals.  The deer, birds eating at the bird feeder and the woodpeckers pecking the trees, the chipmunks who collect the seed the birds throw to the ground and take it and store it, and all the other animals roaming in nature.  It is just so relaxing to sit back and watch. 

But back to the doe, she did not stay long.  I moved to the next plant to water it and when I stood up she took off up into the woods.  Then I noticed she had 2 other friend in the neighbors yard that I never saw till the took off with her into my woods.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Gardeners complain when deer eat our plants, but I love to watch them when they come into my backyard. We had one stroll through the yard in the middle of the afternoon -- a big guy with huge antlers. He didn't seem at all concerned to see us, although he didn't come closer.

I also get woodpeckers, also mockingbirds, cardinals and some other birds I keep meaning to look up. I bought some bird watching binoculars and a field guide but I'm not patient enough to watch for long.

Mainly I get raccoons and possums, which I like, and moles, which I don't. 

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Oh yes, I keep watching the deer to make sure they haven't noticed my garden yet, being so close to the apple trees they venture to every night.  I think currently they are more interested in the apples than my garden.  I was told to try Irish Spring soap around the out side of the garden to keep them out, since they use scents and Irish Spring is very strong it should keep them away.  I haven't put it around the garden yet, as I am afraid it will keep them away from the apple trees also.  But if they get to close I may have to try it.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I know someone who manages a small arboretum where deer are a huge problem. He said Irish Spring works best if you drill a hole through it and run string through the hole. Then tie the bar of soap next to the trunk, so when it rains they soap slime will run down the tree-trunk. He said that seems to work better than just relying on the scent to put them off.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

I just wanted to share with someone.  I had myself a few friends visit me while I was in the garden Friday night.  I was so surprised.  We have 3 apple trees and a pear tree in our field.  It is lovely, we share - the deer come down and eat the apples in the summertime in the evening.  They have been coming down about 8-8:30.  Well, now that is about the time I go and water my garden, which is at the most 20 feet away from the trees.  Needless to say they have not been coming to the apple trees till after I am done in my garden. 

I guess apparently I was in my garden to long on Friday, which I was.  I was there for over an hour just diddling around and watering.  I looked up and there was a doe.  She just stood there looking at me, then ran over into the neighbors yard and stopped before the wood line.  Then I realized she went up away from me and ventured down to the one apple tree.  She stood there eating her apple and watching me.  It was very neat to be that close to the deer. 

I very much enjoy all nature and watching the animals.  The deer, birds eating at the bird feeder and the woodpeckers pecking the trees, the chipmunks who collect the seed the birds throw to the ground and take it and store it, and all the other animals roaming in nature.  It is just so relaxing to sit back and watch. 

But back to the doe, she did not stay long.  I moved to the next plant to water it and when I stood up she took off up into the woods.  Then I noticed she had 2 other friend in the neighbors yard that I never saw till the took off with her into my woods.

Mel, I think that's a neat story!  Thanks for sharing it!  It is enjoyable to watch, and have interactions with these graceful creatures, isn't it?  Here where I live, of course I don't have deer...But while living in Utah, I saw them from time to time in the winter months.  I lived close enough to the Wasatch mountain range, that they would come down to feed on plants.  My backyard was litterally an alfalfa field, and they'd nibble on whatever they could find in the snow.  It was heartbreaking, though, when I'd see one along side the road, having been hit by a car.  Just country roads, but people with their SUVs driving fast.  Signs were posted everywhere, "watch for deer"....but people are always in a hurry, and don't pay attention to their surroundings.

In my bedroom [in Calif.], where I'm sitting at my computer, I can look out of the sliding glass door, and watch the hummers zip around, chasing each other!  I have a huge cape honeysuckle, all in bloom right now, and the hummers love it!  I can walk outside, and these little guys come right up to me and hover....staring at me!  I can almost touch them.  I chirp at them, and they just watch me.  I tell them to stop fighting, most of the time...always in competition, you'd think there was only one blossom to drink from!  I did see a little cotton tail the other night...I was driving down my street at dusk, and it skittered out in front of me, then back into one of the neighbor's hedges.  We don't drive fast on these streets, mainly because of all the old people out walking, or driving their golf carts....you don't want to hit them, either!  :smileyhappy:

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Still waiting for the new blog to show up at BN.com, but I just updated the "old" blog:

http://the-garden-muse.blogspot.com/

Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

Very nice article on hydrangeas.  I tried one last year, and apparently did not have a shady enough spot.  It's very sad, but I'm going to move it.  My neighbor has a HUGE plant, so I'm going to plant my on the same side of the house they have it. 
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Endless Summer seems to be a little hardier than some hydrangeas. What about the rest of you? Do you have hydrangeas? If so, do you know which ones you have? Are they thriving or barely surviving?
KathyS
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
Endless Summer seems to be a little hardier than some hydrangeas. What about the rest of you? Do you have hydrangeas? If so, do you know which ones you have? Are they thriving or barely surviving?

I don't have one.  I tried to grow one, but it was too hot for it.  I've seen them in more temperate climates.  My mother-in-law had one on the North facing side of her house.  She lived in Bellflower....nearer to Los Angeles, where things don't cremate like they do here.  I was always told they like that side of the house better.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I had a message on my blog from someone in India who wanted to grow them. I think they will have the same problem.
Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

KathyS, the north side of the house is where I moved my hydrangea to, as that's where my neighbor has theirs.

Also, I have no idea what you are talking about with a thread view or linear view???? 

KathyS
0 Kudos

Thread Options

Par4course wrote:

KathyS, the north side of the house is where I moved my hydrangea to, as that's where my neighbor has theirs.

Also, I have no idea what you are talking about with a thread view or linear view???? 

This is seriously a pet peeve of mine... The default for these boards is "Linear view"!  If you look up next the "reply button", you'll see the click down of "board Options".  In the linear view, you get replies that are stacked on top of each other, blog form (which I hate) you don't see who was talking to who...and in replying in this option, the reply ends up either on top of that persons post, or who knows where. 

Click on the "Threaded view", and you see exactly who has said what to whom...and when you hit the "reply", you know your post will be a UNDER that persons post, showing you are TALKING to that person...not having your post end up under somebody's post who you're not talking to.  The Threaded view is a conversational view. 

I know most people are in the linear view, because it's the default...people aren't aware that you can see these boards in a totally different light.  I could go on and on, and describe the amount of options they give you on these boards, but I'd probably just confuse you.  Go into your own personal options....and see what is offered. 

I personally like the threaded view, because then I can see who is talking to me...or someone else, for that matter.... and the subjects that they are talking about doesn't get confused with yours, when they change the "message Subject line". 

I'm sorry, this subject irriitates me, because I've gone around the logic of it before with a moderator friend who thinks I don't like change.  (The change from the old B&NU) No, not Becke.  I don't mind change, as long as it's logical.  These boards offer too many options, and the new people that come to these boards are not aware, always confused...or don't take/or have the time to become aware....it's no fault of anyone's except the people who designed these boards. Like I said, it's a pet peeve of mine.

I apologize - I'm in a mood tonight...it's not you...

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Thread Options

Kathy, I totally sympathize. This isn't the easiest site to navigate.
Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Eeeewwww.  I tried switching the view to thread view.  NO THANK YOU!!  I will stick to the default of Linear view.  I don't think I could handle the look of the Thread view.  It is confusing that way.  I like basic, and that is where I am going to stay - where it is easy.  As I always say at work, "I, we, are simple folk.".  (we joke about being country folk here in the hills of western PA)

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I think it depends if you mainly visit one or two book club sites or if you navigate between a lot of them. The default setting works fine if you come here and maybe stop in at a few other places. If you are a hard core participant and visit a lot of sites, it helps to go into the setting options and chose something that will help you keep track of all the threads you are following. You can also set up subscription notices if you'd rather get emails to let you know when someone has responded to one of your comments.
KathyS
0 Kudos

Going Nuts!

[ Edited ]

becke_davis wrote:
I think it depends if you mainly visit one or two book club sites or if you navigate between a lot of them. The default setting works fine if you come here and maybe stop in at a few other places. If you are a hard core participant and visit a lot of sites, it helps to go into the setting options and chose something that will help you keep track of all the threads you are following. You can also set up subscription notices if you'd rather get emails to let you know when someone has responded to one of your comments.

I just typed out one long reply to Mel, and all of a sudden, the whole B&N site dissapeared, and I was back staring at my desk top wallpaper!!!!!  Grrrr....it's either been my computer, my server, which I can't stand.....or the heat, or my hot flashes that have dropped me on my head this week, until I want to either cry, stay in bed, or kill someone....or something else comes along to aggravate me more....never mind, I'm just ranting!!! 

I took the grandkids to the pool yesterday, and I was so uptight, a friend of mine (who was in the pool, too) started laughing at me!  She said, I know what your saying!  I've spent the last three days telling kids to keep their hands off of each other, until I'm blue in the face.  They've both been sick, and I've been administering drugs, telling them to get dressed, brush their teeth....stop touching each other...stop picking on each other.....on and on until I've wanted to scream!  Now, I come here and take it out on everyone!  And watch my posts go up in thin air.....It's freaking nuts!

Message Edited by KathyS on 07-03-2009 11:13 AM
KathyS
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:

I stay organized in spite of myself.

For those of you who, like Kathy, follow a lot of different book clubs and threads, it does help to go to your personal options and try the different thread views to see which works best for you.  If you only follow a few book clubs or threads, it's probably not something you're going to need to worry about.

Kathy has a lot of experience with this, but if you have questions or run into technical difficulties, please let me know and I'll help out. The goal is to make it easy to keep track of the conversations you are following. If you are managing okay as you are, then don't worry about setting up a different option. 

This whole topic is non relevant...where it was being talked about in the "Gardening In Your Own Words  topic thread.  I brought it back into an appropriate "room"  I'll keep you organized, Becke, in spite of yourself!

I don't follow a lot of boards, and that's not the point...it's the individual board view I was talking about.  Of course, we all need to know how to float boards up on our main/all board view, or float topic threads within our boards we visit...if you can't figure that out, all of the boards you are on will become messy looking...but, small board topic discussion vs large board/large topic discussions can become convoluted...and the only way I can convince anyone of what I see, is to physically sit next to them, and show them how it works. 

It's the difference between a two step dance, three step....waltz or a samba...whatever people are comfortable with is fine, but what they do when they post, or take a step, it does affect people who view/dance it differently...Do you see what I mean?  Having two views as an option, makes no sense.  We can't see how someone else is viewing the same board.

There are only two view options within a board - period...the Threaded, and the Linear...if one person is using the Linear, and posts without using the "quote post" (so we know who you're talking to, or what your talking about, or changing the subject line of that which you are talking about in your post, it can confuse the logic of that conversation.... in the threaded view....which is mine.  Replies in a post just become "out of context", like in a blog format...one post piled on top of another.....without any reference to anything or anyone....if someone is not keeping up with the conversation, and goes back and reads them... these posts reflect no meaning/connection to the original poster's subject.  That's what my point was to all of this. 

(We should have one, and only one view in these discussions...alleviating the confusion!  I don't care which one B&N would choose to use, I'll get used to it if it comes down to that....as most people seem to get "used" to the default-linear, because they don't realize how to use the other view...I got used to the threaded from years of experience with that conversational view on book discussions, and switching to the illogical linear, makes no sense to me...)

I like order, and I hate bouncing all over the board to follow someone's train of thought.  But now, I'm going to leave this subject alone.... I think I've said all that I can to it.  I won't convince anyone to change to the way I see my view. I'll try not to irritate the world any further.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Thread Options, batteries and raccoons and Happy 4th of July!

[ Edited ]

Kathy - You are a lot better at explaining it than I am. Sorry to drive you nuts! And it sounds as if the B&N gremlins aren't helping, either. It drives us all crazy when that happens.

Okay, change of topic (see? I remembered to note it.).

1) Hurray! I don't have to buy a new camera, although I'm annoyed that I spent $5 on new batteries that turned out to be duds. When I was in Chicago, my daughter and I both bought new batteries for our cameras. Mine had been acting weird and I wasn't sure the batteries were the issue. Since her camera worked after putting in the new batteries, and mine was dead as a doornail, I assumed I had killed my camera. Yesterday I decided to give it another shot and bought yet another package of batteries. It worked! So, yay, it's almost as good as money in the bank. (Especially since I think our TV is about to blow.)

2) Baby raccoons!  We figured out that our cat's raccoon buddy is a female this week, because when she stood up against the patio window, it was clear she was a nursing mom. Last night there was a party on our deck -- FOUR little raccoons (I'm guessing they are a few months old), plus the mama raccoon, and my cat AND a gray and white kitten (under a year, anyway) that I'd never seen before. And later the little possum showed up. AND there was a bunny on my front porch.  Did someone send out invitations and forget to tell me?

Happy 4th, everybody! If you're shooting off fireworks, stay safe! 

Message Edited by becke_davis on 07-03-2009 03:42 PM
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Thread Options, batteries and raccoons and Happy 4th of July!

becke_davis wrote:

2) Baby raccoons!  We figured out that our cat's raccoon buddy is a female this week, because when she stood up against the patio window, it was clear she was a nursing mom. Last night there was a party on our deck -- FOUR little raccoons (I'm guessing they are a few months old), plus the mama raccoon, and my cat AND a gray and white kitten (under a year, anyway) that I'd never seen before. And later the little possum showed up. AND there was a bunny on my front porch.  Did someone send out invitations and forget to tell me?

Happy 4th, everybody! If you're shooting off fireworks, stay safe

(chuckle) I spent a nice tea hour today my self, watching our no longer baby(I guess teens) dancing squirrels playing this afternoon. With our cats reactions on the other side of the glass

It does sound like your mother raccoon put out baby shower invitations. (smile)

Happy 4th of July everybody!

Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

Re: Thread Options, and Happy 4th

Okay, sorry to bring this up again, but I'm dumb and can't figure out where you find these options.  The only options thing I find is about "mark this message as new" type stuff (on the right hand side).  Over where the reply part is(left side of heading), I do not see any options at all.  So I will try to always change my message subject to let people know what I'm replying to -- how's that?

A happy and safe 4th to everyone - and be sure to protect your pets (especially dogs) from the fireworks noises.  The Humane Society says this is when most pets run away from home.