Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

Re: Happy 4th

[ Edited ]

Me, I don't have anything other to say other than...

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!! 

Message Edited by Melhay on 07-03-2009 09:33 PM

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Thread Options, and Happy 4th

Par4course wrote:

Okay, sorry to bring this up again, but I'm dumb and can't figure out where you find these options.  The only options thing I find is about "mark this message as new" type stuff (on the right hand side).  Over where the reply part is(left side of heading), I do not see any options at all.  So I will try to always change my message subject to let people know what I'm replying to -- how's that?

A happy and safe 4th to everyone - and be sure to protect your pets (especially dogs) from the fireworks noises.  The Humane Society says this is when most pets run away from home.

My cat stays in pretty much when there is any kind of noisy stuff going on outside. Even the mama raccoon is jumpy from the occasional neighborhood fireworks going off.

Par -- I've sent you a personal message, do you know how to find those? I've explained a little about how to do this. Any questions, just let me know. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Thread and board Options, and Happy 4th

[ Edited ]

Par4course wrote:

Okay, sorry to bring this up again, but I'm dumb and can't figure out where you find these options.  The only options thing I find is about "mark this message as new" type stuff (on the right hand side).  Over where the reply part is(left side of heading), I do not see any options at all.  So I will try to always change my message subject to let people know what I'm replying to -- how's that?

A happy and safe 4th to everyone - and be sure to protect your pets (especially dogs) from the fireworks noises.  The Humane Society says this is when most pets run away from home.

Okay, my student for a day....you're not dumb!   I'm going to approach this subject, as if you are new to the boards, and you've never used any of the options on these boards....It's all very challenging, and one day, when you have lots of time, experiment with everything you can click on, on these many pages of boards!  Just remember to write down what you did, so you can find your way back to the way it was, incase you're unhappy with what you see. 

The first month, on these new boards, that's all I did, play with half of this stuff.  I say, half, because I don't need, or want, everything they offer!  I like to keep it simple!  You won't screw up, or break anything, just play with it.  Your personal preference pages is where all of this stuff is kept.  That's where it's all locked in....and you can change it any time you want.....the length of how many thread posts I want to view, my font and font size, and the list is longer than my arm. Enabling, and disabling everything takes place there.  But what I'm showing you is in plain sight by you, for your convince.  So, today, while Becke writes to you in a PM, I'm writing you a dissertation on this subject! LOL  Maybe, between the two of us, or anyone else who wants to chime it....go for it!

I honestly don't know what you see when you log onto the boards, right now.   But this is what you might want to see.  You should be seeing all of the boards offered on B&NBC...all of them on that one page, to the right of the screen.  (The people who come to B&N.com, see places to visit....scrolling authors....etc.  But I by-passed that, by putting the boards directly into my favorites "button" on my keyboard.  I click it, and I'm where I can see everything on the boards right off the bat.  Then I log in from that page.

Your personal stuff is on the left, which can include bookmarks, friends list, subscriptions, etc.

If you have chosen boards you visit often, this means you have floated a board by clicking on the little arrow pointing up.... on the right side of those boards, giving a more advantageous view, instead of having to scroll down through them to find the one you want to visit.  It doesn't remove anything from that list, just puts it again into a quick, and permanent, view for you..easy access, to use at your discretion, and you can remove them by clicking the little down arrow again, and down they go, out of that top view section. (it works the same when you want to float a thread to the top of your board page)  All boards show how many posts are currently unread, and total of post have been made, and what the last post topic was on.

I went into your view (linear, assuming that's what you're in, since you got there by B&N's default program) to see what you saw.  If you're reading this message of mine,  click on the words up above, which says Thread Listing until you get back to the first page of this board.  In that same line, to your left, you will read "Thread Options"...either click on it, or run your cursor over it (that's another option in your personal Preference pages)  (just a note:  these options are gotten to by at least three different ways...I haven't counted them all!)  Anyway, read what the options are that are offered to you by clicking that "Thread Options" open.  In it you will see:

Mark All Messages As Read:  That means, if you don't want to read, or see the number of messages that are open, click that option, and they will all show up in lighter font.  as if you've read them.

Mark All Messages As New:  This shows them in darker font, as if you haven't read them.  All board options will give you these two options...as in mark "post" read, or mark "post" new.  Sometimes I read a post, and want to go back to it later, to respond to it, so I mark is back to "new".

Remove This Board Float:  If you've floated this board, on your main boards view, it will remove it.

Add This Board To My Bookmarks:  Do you know what bookmarks are?  Just another way to categorize your boards....it send that board to your "Dashboard", or in a little box at the bottom of you main boards page, and it goes into your personal info to the left of your boards.

Subscribe to This Boards Rss Feed:  I honestly can't remember what that means. 

Invite a Friend:  I've never used this option.

Now you will see: 

Threaded Format:  

Linear Format

Click on the one you are not on.  The darker font will be the one you are NOT on.  When Mel did this, she didn't like what she saw...it looks confusing, I assume to new viewers.  It's not to me, because that's all I've had from day one..years of this view, ....whatever you're comfortable viewing.  That's what counts.  Maybe I'm just trying to make it clear that what you see is not what I see.  And since none of us know what the other one is viewing, it's just making everyone aware of it.  Within each view, there are several other options, which I won't go into.  You'll have to find those out for yourself, by experimenting.

Here is what it's like.  When you view the earth, looking at a globe, you see all of the continents, And the states, countries, etc.  it's not like viewing a map of a state, or a map of counties, or a city map.  I see, and know what the thread topic is I'm on, and ALL the participants who are talking in that line of discussion.  And the date is right next in that line of vision...I can read posts by dates, showing the progression of that discussion.  I can pick and choose who and what I want to go to, at a glance, I don't have to scroll down, or up, every last one of these posters, to see who I want to talk to.  When you click on that subject line of that poster, bingo, it takes me right to that post, and when I click "quote post"....I reply to it, there is no mistake that my reply will go right under that persons thoughts.  I'm talking directly to them... There is one draw back to this view, though, in your preferences, you choose how many posts you want to view on a page...if it starts to go beyond that number, the posts start to go backwards....up, over the person you're talking to...you can see this happen in the Com room's, This Day In History...it goes on and on and on...  So, this is not a perfect set up.

It's always a good idea to address that person in your reply, within the context of your post.  Dear Par4Course, or whatever...otherwise, short blips of dialogue mean nothing to anyone, unless you're following everyone's dialogue closely.    Your poems or your topics, should always be titled.  It makes it so clear and easy to see and read them.

Now, remember, I'm not talking about "starting" new threads, I'm only talking about changing subjects within the major header thread that Becke, or someone, might start.  I started this off topic thread, com. room, which means anything and everything can be talked about.   Just name it. I'm kind of a stickler, even though I'm always going off topic, for keeping it clean and clear for everyone to view.  If you feel you're going off topic someplace, take what you want to say in here.  Everyone will read it, no matter where you last posted.  I brought Becke's thoughts here, by quoting her, so I didn't continue talking to her about this in that other thread. 

I don't know if I can convince anyone of this view, it looks like a lot of posts on a page,  I grant you, and maybe overwhelming if there are a ton of posts unread....but with the Garden board, there aren't a ton.  Every board is different, and you may want to switch back and forth, to see which one you like best.  I'm not trying to convince anyone, just trying to explain my reasons for using the view I use.  And how the other view affects the way I see it all.  And scrolling up and down, and viewing everyone in a little box, is just limiting to me.  I like to view the world, not everyone's little street address! LOL  Let me know if I've over explained, or under explained!  

Good luck....any questions, just ask!  And Happy 4th!

Kathy

Message Edited by KathyS on 07-03-2009 08:16 PM
KathyS
0 Kudos

Melhay wrote:

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!! 

Hey, Lady Mel!  Have a wonderful Fourth of July weekend....

and stay safe!

That goes for everyone!

Kathy

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Kathy - Were you a teacher at some point? Thanks for explaining things!
KathyS
0 Kudos

becke_davis wrote:
Kathy - Were you a teacher at some point? Thanks for explaining things!

(I really didn't do such a hot job of explaining how this board program works...there is just so much to them, complicated windows to navigate in and out of....it's not that easy to explainIt just takes practice to navigate.) 

Well, everything in my life has had to be explained, in writing....at one time or another, to somebodyI've always been around teachers, writing and typing papers for educators and business professionals, as well as for myself. 

Most of my thoughts are pretty logicalFollowing step by step explanations.  I used to train people, or be over people, having to write out instructions for them.

I was first a dental assistant, and trained other assistants....having to write out their job descriptions, depending on the doctors, and showing them the processI trained people in the market, writing out step by step instructions on how to accomplish their duties within a certain work period/time frame.  

At one time I was hired by the president of an engineering company, who actually didn't have a "realjob for me....except for just answering the phone (that never rang) and typing a letter once in a while...not enough work to keep anyone employed, and they were about to let me go after they realized their mistake.....until I created a job for myselfI wrote out everything that needed to be done, and how it was to be done, in that engineering officeand then gave myself a titleI put myself in those positions, and proved I could do themFor seven years, I was indispensable

I've taught a lot of things, and a lot of peopleI once wrote a curriculum for one of my daughter's teachers (6th gradeto use to teach my daughterThe teacher backed me on thisI didn't like the program that was taking place at the school, removing kids from their classroom,  sticking them into what they called a "flex" programThis was a teacher's aid teaching kids on subjects these aids new nothing aboutIt was not only a waste of time for these kids, shuffling these kids around, and learning nothing,  but also put them into an unsafe environment (which I won't describe) and what was taught wasn't worth the effort.   It was an idea that the principal had, and his assistant went along with itI decided to write my course of study out, proving that it was more suited for my daughter's needs to stay in her classroom, then participate in the "Flex" program.... it was approved by the principal, and my daughter was able to stay in her classroom with the teacher, using the materials I bought for herEventually, I was part of a "group" of parents (and teachersthat had both the principal, and his assistant, removed. (another long story!)  It just proves, nothing is impossible, if you put pen to paper, and your mind to it.

Teaching PE and Art, in Utah, I was "just" a teacher's aidbut I had to submit a letter, firstexplaining why I thought I would be good in these jobs, from my education, to my experiences.....it had to be approved by the school board.  I was constantly writing out explanations on what I wanted to do, and what needed to be done, with kids...all of the teachers were a part of what I saw for these kids.  By writing out what my goals were that I wanted to accomplishto proving I could do it all

My brain is just wired that way, I guess.  I hope I didn't bore you!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Thyme Out - Off Topic Com. Room

Kathy - How did I not know these things about you? You've inspired me to restart the "introduce yourself" thread. Don't know what happened to the old one.
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Well, I never quite know where to post on this board, but I assume I can't go wrong in the "Off Topic Community Room."

At the end of July I am going to spend a few days in Victoria BC. My main reason for the trip is Butchart Gardens The Butchart Gardens - Home and I just wanted to know if anybody on this board has been there (Becke, I can't imagine you not having spent some time there) and what their thoughts are about a visit.

What is a better time, early morning, late afternoon and evening. High Tea?

I think the place is around 55 acres and I'm sure I'll miss something. What should I be sure not to miss?

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

BTW, the "Introduce Yourself" thread is locked (no reply possible.) I wonder, is this a private club? No introductions on Sunday? Potted plant gardeners don't qualify for admission? Website overload? Becke encountered multi-tasking fatigue? :smileyvery-happy:

If, at a later date, after examining my credentials, you allow me into the club, I will give a more detailed description of myself. For now my short bio: I read. I write. I knit. I photograph. I travel. I pull weeds.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

You're right, you can't go wrong posting here.

Sadly, I've never been there but I've certainly drooled over plenty of pictures of those gardens. One day I hope I'll get there. I've only been to Canada once -- exactly a year ago, in fact. I visited Calgary and Banff, and we drove up to the Icefields, near Jasper. Oh, if you want beautiful scenery, it would be hard to beat the Canadian Rockies. I'd LOVE to go back!

Take lots of pictures, and when you get back, we'd love to see them! 

KathyS
0 Kudos

Sunltcloud wrote:

BTW, the "Introduce Yourself" thread is locked (no reply possible.) I wonder, is this a private club? No introductions on Sunday? Potted plant gardeners don't qualify for admission? Website overload? Becke encountered multi-tasking fatigue? :smileyvery-happy:

If, at a later date, after examining my credentials, you allow me into the club, I will give a more detailed description of myself. For now my short bio: I read. I write. I knit. I photograph. I travel. I pull weeds.

G- You're hilarious!  She locked it!  I didn't even notice....I was still ruminating, last night, over her thinking she knows me well, and what could I say to that?......Sounds like she may have encountered multi-tasking fatigue!....or better, yet, she probably knew I'd write my whole life story in that thread, so she locked ME out! 

Don't worry, Becke....if you read this......I'll refrain from further divulging any more of my 'more than exciting history' on this board! LOL  I think L&L got the brunt of my life story!

becke_davis
0 Kudos

It's locked? I didn't even know the threads COULD be locked? Let me check on this.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Okay, it was my fumble-fingers. I meant to hit "float thread for all users" and I hit "mark thread read only" by mistake. It should work now - sorry!
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

I've only known about locked threads since I started to participate in the "First Look" group. Too many people posted too many thoughts in the thread that was supposed to be dedicated to announcements by the administrator and so he started a new "updates and announcements" thread and locked it so nobody else could post. The locked thread has a little lock to the left of the message thread which I found after I wasn't able to reply and wondered why. Under the board it explains locked threads as read only threads.

becke_davis wrote:
It's locked? I didn't even know the threads COULD be locked? Let me check on this.

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

Ah, I see. There are definitely strange happenings that make boards a puzzle to me at times. Your new post wasn't there when I began my return message to you; and after I posted it (I think it was 11:48am) your post showed up as posted at 10:32am. But ..... I don't even try to figure that one out. As I do with computer mysteries in general, I only tackle errors or questions that prevent me from progress. I never try to remember answers to computer problems because they never happen the same way again. Each event is a new adventure.

becke_davis wrote:
Okay, it was my fumble-fingers. I meant to hit "float thread for all users" and I hit "mark thread read only" by mistake. It should work now - sorry!

Bibliophile
Melhay
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Melhay wrote:

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!! 

Hey, Lady Mel!  Have a wonderful Fourth of July weekend....

and stay safe!

That goes for everyone!

Kathy

Well, it appears everyone made it through the holiday weekend.  Great!!  I hope everyone had an enjoyable weekend with picnics, parties, and such with friends and family.  (That is what a holiday is for, good company and good food!!)  We had a very enjoyable time with our friends.  Kind of wished for a little warmer weather, to go swimming.  As the 70 degrees didn't stop the kids from swimming, but the cooler air with it did stop the adults from getting into the pool.

We have been having some strange weather here in south western PA.  It has been a little on the cooler side.  Now, I am not complaining it is nice and the nights are cooler to sleep.  But, to go swimming it would be nicer to be hotter.  Water in the non-heated pools really get a chill to them because of the 50 degree nights.  And you aren't hot enought to really enjoy the chill, by the time you get home from work and get done with dinner.

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
becke_davis
0 Kudos

It rained a lot here, too. Not so much yesterday - it was hot, overcast and muggy but no actual rain. Overcast again today, and HOT.
KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well, I pretty much stayed in the house all day Saturday....HOT....by myself!  At 4:30 I headed over to our clubhouse, where we had a BBQ dinner.  It was supposed to be outside, but it was so hot (even in the shade) that it was brought indoors.  Good food, good company, and we all sang a few patriotic songs.  It was the first time I'd sung Happy Birthday to America!

Yesterday, my kids and grandkids came over....my daughters spent the day pulling every last one of those blasted Poppies, weeds, and Lavender out of my rock yard!  And they removed an aspargus fern that I'd wanted out of the now designated vegetable garden...and planted it in a large pot for me.  I've got two pieces of this thing left over..which I'll have questions on, later.  I had a huge plant that was a volunteer in my front yard, as well, which  I had them remove.  I have no idea what it was, but my kids thought it was ugly, so I said, go ahead, take it out....talk about a chore!  And I had them do a few other chores around the place, as well..(I took advantage of my free help!)........and.... in the meantime, my grandson, Evan (5) and granddaughter, Emma(8), picked lemons and made lemonade for us!  I now call Emma my little entrepreneur...she set up a table outside in the shade, lemonade, glasses, money, and a collection container!  I had to laugh!  But, in a hundred degree weather, in the shade....you can imagine the money she got from us, who worked in the blazing sun!  I think I lost five pounds, in water, alone, but probably drank it back!

When we finished, we all had hot dogs, with the works!  They went home around three. They were going to take the kids to the movies.  I got in the shower, and then crashed!

And that was my weekend!  Oh, yeah, I got a little reading in, too!  (when I wasn't playing, here)

p.s.  Emma and Evan will be here, shortly....we'll be packing a lunch, and going swimming today!

Message Edited by KathyS on 07-06-2009 09:06 AM
Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

Re: the weather, again

It's HOT - too hot to garden.  I got up at 5:30 to water everything, and that's it.  Just now cooling down to 90 degrees here.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: the weather, again

More rain. Stormy rain.