Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: the weather, again

TiggerBear wrote:
More rain. Stormy rain.

TiggerBear,

Did you ever get a reprieve from all that rain you had a while back?  I worried about all you were going through, just trying to get your garden going.  Now you have more stormy rain?!  I can't believe it!  What about your tomatoes?  Did you get more in the ground? 

Kathy

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Par4course wrote:
It's HOT - too hot to garden.  I got up at 5:30 to water everything, and that's it.  Just now cooling down to 90 degrees here.
It was about 85 degrees here. We've been going for our walks in the evening, but the mosquitos are getting us then.

By the way, I don't know if you've noticed that the author of our featured book stopped by and posted on that thread. If any of you have questions or comments she'll probably be checking in again. 

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:
More rain. Stormy rain.

TiggerBear,

Did you ever get a reprieve from all that rain you had a while back?  I worried about all you were going through, just trying to get your garden going.  Now you have more stormy rain?!  I can't believe it!  What about your tomatoes?  Did you get more in the ground? 

Kathy

Well... sort of. 6 weeks of deluges, then close to 3 weeks with nothing more than a sprinkle. But tonight, that's just blown. It's pooring, a little lightning, extreame wind; it's not a hurricane. But the weatherman has declaired us El Nino's b*tch, so to speak. (sigh)

To the second part...   ahh no. Between the rain and family calamity. (shaking head) I'm actually testing out that upside down tomato thingy. If this wind doesn't kill it. I'll give you guys it's progress report, a few tiny green ones popping on it. Not bad for two weeks.

Most interesting thing is this. We compost. Both failed garden starts went into it, as well as the typical vegi scraps. I've had to start a new spot because it exploded. Not with gas but green. 4 corn stalks, we eat it but I didn't plant it. Some kind of squach runners in a spatter out pattern (what type I'll find out if it produces). Some carrot tufts, didn't plant that either. And 3 can't quite tell yet if it's tomatoes or pepper bushes. Many plants I can't identify. I said explosion, because I ment it. One rainy week, a compost mound. Then the first kind of dry week, a green mountain. Just looked out the kitchen window one morning and bam there it was. (chuckle) 

KathyS
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

KathyS wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:
More rain. Stormy rain.

TiggerBear,

Kathy

Well... sort of. 6 weeks of deluges, then close to 3 weeks with nothing more than a sprinkle. But tonight, that's just blown. It's pooring, a little lightning, extreame wind; it's not a hurricane. But the weatherman has declaired us El Nino's b*tch, so to speak. (sigh)

To the second part...   ahh no. Between the rain and family calamity. (shaking head) I'm actually testing out that upside down tomato thingy. If this wind doesn't kill it. I'll give you guys it's progress report, a few tiny green ones popping on it. Not bad for two weeks.

Most interesting thing is this. We compost. Both failed garden starts went into it, as well as the typical vegi scraps. I've had to start a new spot because it exploded. Not with gas but green. 4 corn stalks, we eat it but I didn't plant it. Some kind of squach runners in a spatter out pattern (what type I'll find out if it produces). Some carrot tufts, didn't plant that either. And 3 can't quite tell yet if it's tomatoes or pepper bushes. Many plants I can't identify. I said explosion, because I ment it. One rainy week, a compost mound. Then the first kind of dry week, a green mountain. Just looked out the kitchen window one morning and bam there it was. (chuckle) 

TiggerBear, I hope everything is okay with you and your family.  I noticed you missing from here, for a few days...yes, I do notice.....and wondered if you were okay. 

After reading what you just said about your compost pile,  it made me smile, and almost made me cry.  Yeah, I know, I get emotional over silly things like this... it always amazes me the little miracles that take place around us, and you've had your share of garden disasters, you deserved a little miracle.  What a neat thing to see, and hopefully it will produce everything your heart desires!  Just stay high and dry, and watch out for those little tomatoes!  Keeps us updated!

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

TiggerBear, I hope everything is okay with you and your family.  I noticed you missing from here, for a few days...yes, I do notice.....and wondered if you were okay. 

After reading what you just said about your compost pile,  it made me smile, and almost made me cry.  Yeah, I know, I get emotional over silly things like this... it always amazes me the little miracles that take place around us, and you've had your share of garden disasters, you deserved a little miracle.  What a neat thing to see, and hopefully it will produce everything your heart desires!  Just stay high and dry, and watch out for those little tomatoes!  Keeps us updated!

I'm fine, thank you. I look after my husbands parents, his mom had a major health set back. The short of it is everything that was upsatairs had to move downstairs, and viseversa; I'm talking teak, iron, and the entire 1000+ DVD collection, and innumerable books, beds, everything. Then we had to wheelchair ramp, change carpet, flooring, and anyone ever have to have staircases steps resized? To say I've been busy is an understatement. My mother in law should be a less moble, but healther version when ever the doctors finish. So... chaotic, but I'm glad she made it through. Now if I can only find half my belongings. The dance of joy a couple of days ago when I finnaly found the box with the coasters. (chuckle)

Yeah, it was a nice surprise. Every so often nature makes life seem cooky fun, you know. Will do.

KathyS
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

KathyS wrote:

I'm fine, thank you. I look after my husbands parents, his mom had a major health set back. The short of it is everything that was upsatairs had to move downstairs, and viseversa; I'm talking teak, iron, and the entire 1000+ DVD collection, and innumerable books, beds, everything. Then we had to wheelchair ramp, change carpet, flooring, and anyone ever have to have staircases steps resized? To say I've been busy is an understatement. My mother in law should be a less moble, but healther version when ever the doctors finish. So... chaotic, but I'm glad she made it through. Now if I can only find half my belongings. The dance of joy a couple of days ago when I finnaly found the box with the coasters. (chuckle)

Yeah, it was a nice surprise. Every so often nature makes life seem cooky fun, you know. Will do.

Good, I'm glad things are looking better for your family.  Sounds like you really were busy!  You danced the happy dance over finding the box of coasters?! LOL  wow, it does sound like one big mess to sort through!  Yeah, kookie fun! Ha!  We need those moments every so often, don't we?

Later, mater...

Kathy

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I always feel a bit as if I'm eavesdropping on conversations here -- in a good way! Tigger, you've had so much going on, I'm awed you've made time to visit with us! Kathy, how was your weekend? Anything exciting happening in CA?

Tigger, I get wild corn popping up all over. It doesn't usually get corn on it, just the stalks, so it's considered a weed here. Not nearly as interesting as your "magic corn!" I had a couple of sunflowers pop up out of nowhere, so they are my little garden miracle this year!

Just wanted to mention that I leave tomorrow a.m. for a weeklong conference in Washington, DC. I will have my laptop with me but I probably won't be able to check in until fairly late in the day. If the author of our featured book drops in again, or if any new people show up, would you all mind welcoming them until I can get to my computer? Thanks in advance! 

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

TiggerBear,

I'm sorry to hear about your  mother in law's set back and hope that the doctor's efforts and your good deeds make her feel better, at least emotionally. I know it is hard to watch somebody become limited in mobility; my mother in law is 97 and my ex-husband and his sister take turns to be with her. I am called in when one of them can't be there. Mother lives in a two-story house (bedrooms upstairs, kitchen downstairs) and we all worry about the stairs she climbs daily. She says, that's what keeps her from becoming stiff and keeps her sciatica in check, but we have near heart attacks when she doesn't answer the phone.

I hope you take care of yourself in all the turmoil, and like Kathy I smile when I read about your compost pile. I think that sometimes all it takes is a burst of growth to make us feel better. Small blessings from the compost heap.

TiggerBear wrote:

Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

Re: families

TiggerBear, sorry to hear about your mother-in-law's health problems.  Like Sunltcloud, I've been through it with my ex-mother-in-law.  She's had brain tumor, cancerous growth on her leg, breast cancer, and finally bad reaction to all the medicines.  FINALLY the rest of the family came to town to sort things out.  It was just me and my daughter for years (ex had moved away), until they did.  Now she takes turns living with her other kids.  Once family always family, I guess.

But I'd gladly take some of that rain! :smileywink:

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Thank you all.

So far it looks as if her movement will eventually become recoverable, if she puts the work in and when her strength returns. We revamped the house just in case it does go any futher downhill. That her mini strokes will stop when her strength returns enough for the stint to go in, that's just a matter of time really. That her infections will clear up (but they're still arguing which bladder procedure so...). And perhaps now that she can't make food or fetch it for herself, finally we'll be able to get her to eat a diet appropriate to her diabetes. I'd cook her a healthy meal which she'd eat 2 bites of and then go sneak pie and ice cream instead. (shakes head) I do think the doctors may have shook some sense into her about actually taking her meds, and not the 30 or so herbal cures of the month. (sigh) It's been hard to take care of someone unwilling to take care of them selves. I've stopped short of forcing her to do anything, and in the past unless you forced her... Sorry to vent, but when this all popped up the entire family turned on me(except my husband) as to why I didn't make her. But my opinion is she's competent grown adult, and it's so not my place.(exasperated sigh) What can you do.

(chuckle) And yet again it rains.

It's odd. The rivers are higher than they have been in years and the seem to be (I'm sorry if this seams harsh) sucking down every local idiot. State law clearly posted, when the river meter says 5' caution, 7' requires life vest, 9' requires permit. So when it's 11' you'd think people would not try to go rock hopping. Obey the safty laws people, for your own sake please.

But at least there's not too much flooding. The water table has risen over the deflict of the past few years.  If we much more though, I'm all for seeing if we can ship this rain to you guys. We  got 6" yesterday alone.

The tomato plant survived the wind though, I had to replace a little soil but in good shape otherwise. And my green mountain is still there. I do doubt I'll get corn off those stalks, I suspect what we ate was a hybrid and I don't think they reproduce. Becky you normally get wild corn? I've gotten only mystery potatoes before. It'll be fun to see how this one turns out.

Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

Good luck TiggerBera, with both the rain and the families.  At least you can know that those of us who have been through it totallly understand.  My husband's family was sure we weren't taking proper care of their mother, although we ran her to the Emergency Room and doctors uncounted times.  The only way we could have taken more time with her would have been to move in with her, and they didn't want us to "take over THEIR mother's home".  Oops, guess it was my turn to vent.

We are slightly cooler today, but they are warning of dangerous heat levels for this weekend.  Good thing I plan to spend it at the movie theatres.

KathyS
0 Kudos

Vents and heat waves, and everything else!

Par4course wrote:

Good luck TiggerBera, with both the rain and the families.  At least you can know that those of us who have been through it totallly understand.  My husband's family was sure we weren't taking proper care of their mother, although we ran her to the Emergency Room and doctors uncounted times.  The only way we could have taken more time with her would have been to move in with her, and they didn't want us to "take over THEIR mother's home".  Oops, guess it was my turn to vent.

We are slightly cooler today, but they are warning of dangerous heat levels for this weekend.  Good thing I plan to spend it at the movie theatres.

Wendy, no need to apologize for venting...we all do it, and we all are friends, here.  Yes, we do say...sorry, and mean it...but that's just who we are.  I think we all have our family tales to tell.  No need to tell mine...it's all over and done.

You talk about heat! 100!  I just got a notice on my front step this afternoon...telling me Edison is turning OFF the electricity for "repair and updating"....on Monday, from 8:30 to 3:00!  Sigh....I've got my grandkids on that day, and I guess we won't be opening the fridge fifty times during those hours.  I feed them breakfast, lunch, and sometimes dinner...and drinks and snacks, and everything else little Evan wants to open my fridge for!  I've pretty much trained him (them) to NOT stand there with the door open...but a five year old, what can you do?...he's hungry ALL the time!  Gads, now I've got to figure out what I need to do that day.  Pre-pack lunches....take them to the pool from 10 to 2...kids hours....

NO air-conditioning!  Holy mother of pearl!  It's going to be hotter than the hubs of you know what in my house by 3:00!  And I can't exactly waste water, playing outside with the hose with them...  We're now fined for over usage of water!  Now, with all the plants I've put into pots...I can't wait for my bill!  I still can't get enough water into them...I'm moving everything into the shade!  This blasted sun it killing everything, including me!

There, how's that for a vent?

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Vents and heat waves, and everything else!

KathyS wrote:

Par4course wrote:

Wendy, no need to apologize for venting...we all do it, and we all are friends, here.  Yes, we do say...sorry, and mean it...but that's just who we are.  I think we all have our family tales to tell.  No need to tell mine...it's all over and done.

You talk about heat! 100!  I just got a notice on my front step this afternoon...telling me Edison is turning OFF the electricity for "repair and updating"....on Monday, from 8:30 to 3:00!  Sigh....I've got my grandkids on that day, and I guess we won't be opening the fridge fifty times during those hours.  I feed them breakfast, lunch, and sometimes dinner...and drinks and snacks, and everything else little Evan wants to open my fridge for!  I've pretty much trained him (them) to NOT stand there with the door open...but a five year old, what can you do?...he's hungry ALL the time!  Gads, now I've got to figure out what I need to do that day.  Pre-pack lunches....take them to the pool from 10 to 2...kids hours....

NO air-conditioning!  Holy mother of pearl!  It's going to be hotter than the hubs of you know what in my house by 3:00!  And I can't exactly waste water, playing outside with the hose with them...  We're now fined for over usage of water!  Now, with all the plants I've put into pots...I can't wait for my bill!  I still can't get enough water into them...I'm moving everything into the shade!  This blasted sun it killing everything, including me!

(chuckle) not bad, not bad at all.

Well I've good some looking like good news (cross fingers). Mother in law is comming home this sunday, and though it does take her 10 mins she can do up to 10 steps. Yay! It looks like she'll be able to get by with a walker, not to bad for 74. And she should get stronger, but that's up to her. 

Not to mention 2 dry days, so far. Though it's warm, sure doesn't seem like July. It should be 100 or 90+ in day, 70s by night, and so humid that air feels like steam. But it's 80s and barely humid, then 60s, nice actually. Kinda wierd.

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
0 Kudos

To me the hardest thing is to stand by patiently when somebody takes ten steps that might be accompanied with grumpiness, with sighs, with accusing looks, with real pain. But those steps pay off in the long run. I worked in a nursing home once (part of a home health care certificate) and saw a lot of problems arise from the lack of time aides have, since they are taking care of a large number of patients. Minor accomplishments are often the only positive factors older people are able to contribute, but those accomplishments add much to their feelings of adequacy. On top of that the exercise helps with all sorts of physical problems.

I'm sure you are quite familiar with what I said above, and maybe you are not as impatient as I am. I have to remind myself to assist only when asked to. I see a "cooking nightmare" every time I spend a few days with Mother. She has macular degeneration and can't see the digital (red)display on her stove. She puts her hands very close to the top of the burners to feel the amount of heat. She sticks her hand into the toaster oven to feel the toast. She cuts up chicken for her cat with a sharp knife. I watch, but don't say anything. I've offered to help with her lunch and dinner, but she insists on doing it herself. She eats very little but has a well balanced diet, though sometimes she undercooks meat which can be dangerous. And some of the things she keeps in the refrigerator are outdated, especially a bunch of leftovers she stores in little margarine tubs in the freezer. It falls upon her daughter to make those leftovers disappear every once in a while. 

I tell myself that Mother was there for me - no questions asked - the day her son asked for a divorce - she made margeritas and let me and the kids spend the night That was more than 40 years ago. She loves to discuss politics with me. Sometimes she asks me to fix a hole in a sweater or to put a new lightbulb in a lamp or to take a look at the remote control (she has little feeling in her fingers and pushes buttons way too hard until they get stuck) She still sends me news clippings (she reads under a magnifying machine) and always remembers my birthday. She is my biggest fan when it comes to my writing. I have to take her "as is." And I have to be patient.

Well, that turned out to be my vent for the week. And the Northern California weather is perfect so far today. Not the high nineties of previous days.

Thanks! 

TiggerBear wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Par4course wrote:

(chuckle) not bad, not bad at all.

Well I've good some looking like good news (cross fingers). Mother in law is comming home this sunday, and though it does take her 10 mins she can do up to 10 steps. Yay! It looks like she'll be able to get by with a walker, not to bad for 74. And she should get stronger, but that's up to her. 

Not to mention 2 dry days, so far. Though it's warm, sure doesn't seem like July. It should be 100 or 90+ in day, 70s by night, and so humid that air feels like steam. But it's 80s and barely humid, then 60s, nice actually. Kinda wierd.

Correspondent
Par4course
0 Kudos

Wow, we all got our vents off, huh?  Feels good to have people who will listen and not judge. 

KathyS - take care tomorrow, hope you and the grandkids make it through the day without electricity.  I can't imagine them doing that to people in this hot weather.  We don't have air conditioning at my house, but usually we don't have this hot, muggy weather.  Every fan is working 7/24--I try to keep some off and others on low when we are at work - but the dogs suffer if it's too hot.  They all have heavy coats.

Anyone able to actually do any gardening?  I just try to remember to put on the soaker hoses once or twice a week - everything is suffering, and the last plants I put in have died (some teatrees, a gardenia, and some azaleas.  The low-water plants that I planted last year (so they had the winter to put in good roots) are doing okay, I'm glad to report.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: Vents and heat waves, and everything else - and a wanderer returns!

I'm back from DC and feeling like a zombie. Didn't sleep much last week but met a ton of my favorite authors in romance, romantic suspense, chick lit and women's fiction. I wasn't able to get on the computer very often -- partly due to being busy from dawn until the wee hours of the morning, and partly because the hotel charged ridiculous fees to use the internet.

I want to thank you all for being such wonderful board participants, always being caring and civil to each other, and always welcoming when someone new stops by. You are the best! I missed you all, and I'm going to have some catching up to do, reading through all the posts I missed. As you can imagine, I'm buried in laundry and junk mail, trying to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Stop by Garden Variety, if you get a chance. It's listed with the new B&N Blogs which you can see if you Browse Bookclubs. Sunlitcloud and I need some company over there! 

KathyS
0 Kudos

Glad to see you back..you party animal! Ha! 
becke_davis wrote:

I'm back from DC and feeling like a zombie. Didn't sleep much last week but met a ton of my favorite authors in romance, romantic suspense, chick lit and women's fiction. I wasn't able to get on the computer very often -- partly due to being busy from dawn until the wee hours of the morning, and partly because the hotel charged ridiculous fees to use the internet.

I want to thank you all for being such wonderful board participants, always being caring and civil to each other, and always welcoming when someone new stops by. You are the best! I missed you all, and I'm going to have some catching up to do, reading through all the posts I missed. As you can imagine, I'm buried in laundry and junk mail, trying to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Stop by Garden Variety, if you get a chance. It's listed with the new B&N Blogs which you can see if you Browse Bookclubs. Sunlitcloud and I need some company over there! 

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Oh, Kathy, you don't know the half of it -- these authors are all workaholics, it seems. Up at dawn, workshops all day, parties all night, and then back to their rooms to work on their stories! A lot of people were losing their voices -- me included -- and many of us were practically incoherent from lack of sleep. But, as my roommate and critique partner, Rosie Murphy, observed - "We can sleep when we're dead!"
KathyS
0 Kudos

Yes, for whatever reason, Edison picks this time of year to do this work!   Not everyone in this complex will have their electricity turned off, they're doing this work in sections.  I knew, after they put in the telephone pole [at the end of my driveway a few months ago], that lines would be added to it, but I didn't expect them to do it at the hottest time of year!   

I can't imagine not having air-conditioning....But it cools in the evening, here, and I don't need to keep it on at night.  I do have overhead fans, which helps a lot, too. It rarely gets muggy where I live, since I'm not close to the ocean.  I'm closing up the house early, today.

I'm sorry to hear about your plants dying....I do know the feeling....but I'm determined this year, with the few I've put in, to watch them like a hawk.  The kids put some of their radish, carrots and lettuce seeds in my large pots this week, and they're already up and looking good.  They're not in full, direct sunlight, though.....

So far my Gardenia is looking healthy, thank goodness!  It doesn't get the afternoon sun, and I give it plenty of water.   I love Azaleas, but I wouldn't even attempt planting them...just too hot here. My Vinca's do show stress when they aren't given enough water, but they bounce back....so lots of water is the issue for me.  Even my tomato plants have been looking a little wilty...I soaked them and totally sprayed them with water, from top to bottom, last night.  They look better this morning.   The tomatoes, themselves, do get sunburned, so I've been picking, eating, and giving them away before they get cremated....More to pick, today! 

Now, I must shut this computer down, and get ready for the kiddies, AND the day.....then, this afternoon, I'll be going around the house re-programming everything that got shut off!   My house phone is the biggest pain in the rear! 

Stay cool! :smileyhappy:

K.

Par4course wrote:

Wow, we all got our vents off, huh?  Feels good to have people who will listen and not judge. 

KathyS - take care tomorrow, hope you and the grandkids make it through the day without electricity.  I can't imagine them doing that to people in this hot weather.  We don't have air conditioning at my house, but usually we don't have this hot, muggy weather.  Every fan is working 7/24--I try to keep some off and others on low when we are at work - but the dogs suffer if it's too hot.  They all have heavy coats.

Anyone able to actually do any gardening?  I just try to remember to put on the soaker hoses once or twice a week - everything is suffering, and the last plants I put in have died (some teatrees, a gardenia, and some azaleas.  The low-water plants that I planted last year (so they had the winter to put in good roots) are doing okay, I'm glad to report.

becke_davis
0 Kudos

I sympathize with all of you suffering from the heat. When I arrived in DC, it was like walking into a steam bath. It was nice when I left, though.