Reply
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,678
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Elizabeth's German Garden

I discovered this book recently:

 

Elizabeth and Her German Garden  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And here a few of my favorites:

 

An Island Garden   Two Gardeners   Through the Garden Gate   Henry Mitchell on Gardening  

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,678
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: cooking from the garden

Here are some books ideas that came to mind as I was thinking about squash blossom soup:

 

Your Backyard Herb Garden   From the Garden to the Table   Fresh from the Garden   Serving up the Harvest   In Season   Grow It Cook It   Potager   Herb Garden Gourmet   The Gourmet Garden  

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: cooking from the garden

 

Herb Garden Gourmet

 

 

I've got that one, useful.

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,678
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: cooking from the garden


TiggerBear wrote:

 

Herb Garden Gourmet

 

 

I've got that one, useful.


Most of mine are older -- I need to update my collection!

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: cooking from the garden

Organic Cook's Bible 

 

 

is a great one, though fair warning the farmer's market stuuf is west coast only.  But this one is great for so you have this vegitable  here's how to treat it, it's prime, what it looks like information.

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,678
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: cooking from the garden

I bought this book for my son, who really liked it: 

How to Pick a Peach  

 

If any of you read contemporary romance, you may be interested to know that the author is Jennifer Crusie's cousin. 

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
Posts: 933
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: cooking from the garden

Speaking of peaches. Here is a lyrical account of a peach farmers life. I met Mas Masimoto during a reading of one of his books at  "Silicon Valley Reads" in February 2005. In "epitaph for a peach" he describes growing a type of peach that is vulnerable, has to be used immediately, and therefore is not sold in stores. He actually has an ad on his website offering peach trees up for "adoption." He calls you when the peaches on your tree are ripe and you come to pick them. After his reading he gave me a tiny jar of peach jam for talking about the favorite fruits of my childhood - currants and gooseberries -

 

 

Epitaph for a Peach 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


becke_davis wrote:
I bought this book for my son, who really liked it: 

How to Pick a Peach  

 

If any of you read contemporary romance, you may be interested to know that the author is Jennifer Crusie's cousin. 


 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,678
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: cooking from the garden

How cool! I have peaches ripening in my yard right now. I thought our excessively wet spring might have affected the crop in a bad way, but they look better than last year! Thanks for recommending this book, I'll have to check it out.
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Vents and heat waves, and everything else!

[ Edited ]

Thought I'd give you guys an update.

 

Mom in law, 3 days at home had a set back. She wasn't willing to drink anything but tea. This became a problem, 2 dehydrated medicine and caffeine. Ended up with a trip to the hospital in a ambulance. She ok now and home, 3 bags through her veins did the job. So now she's on water only. Since if you give her anything else she will not drink water. (sigh)

 

My nephew (who's trying Darwin's dieing through stupidity) decided to show his girlfriend how machismo he's is, by jumping out of the boat there were in to drag the boat onshore. Problem is he neglected, didn't even bother to think or check the water level. Thinking it was deep, and since it was only 4" deep, promptly broke his ankle. Bad break, he's spent this weekend getting 4 pins and 2 plates to put it back together. He'll be out of work for at least 3 months. (shakes head) All of us are merely glad he didn't decide to dive in.

 

So basically I been at the hospital this week off and on. Bad sign when the staff stops trying to give you directions.  

 

 

But as to green mountain, I now have 2 pumpkins. One of which is slightly smaller than a basketball and already turning orange. The upside down tomato plant is giving around 8 smallish tomatoes a week regularly. And my husband actually volunteered to plant next years garden offering to investigating using draining excess water through a pipe system. (big eyebrows) Not sure if that's either ever going to happen, much less wise. But at least he's offered to help.

 

Oh and the weather 3-4 days dry, 3-4 days very rainy. 

 

Message Edited by TiggerBear on 07-26-2009 07:18 PM
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
Posts: 933
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Vents and heat waves, and everything else!

Thanks for the update, Tigger. Dehydration is a big problem with "the elderly." I say this with a grin, because I am one of the elderly and I drink 48 oz of water a day. But I have never seen my mother-in-law drink water, well, except small sips with her pills, claims she gets enough of it in her coffee.

 

I hope you get a break from hospital visits or the nurses might grab you and put you in one of the beds so you get some rest. Better to gaze at the green pumpkin mountain than at white walls and sheets.

 


TiggerBear wrote:

Thought I'd give you guys an update.

 

Mom in law, 3 days at home had a set back. She wasn't willing to drink anything but tea. This became a problem, 2 dehydrated medicine and caffeine. Ended up with a trip to the hospital in a ambulance. She ok now and home, 3 bags through her veins did the job. So now she's on water only. Since if you give her anything else she will not drink water. (sigh)

 

My nephew (who's trying Darwin's dieing through stupidity) decided to show his girlfriend how machismo he's is, by jumping out of the boat there were in to drag the boat onshore. Problem is he neglected, didn't even bother to think or check the water level. Thinking it was deep, and since it was only 4" deep, promptly broke his ankle. Bad break, he's spent this weekend getting 4 pins and 2 plates to put it back together. He'll be out of work for at least 3 months. (shakes head) All of us are merely glad he didn't decide to dive in.

 

So basically I been at the hospital this week off and on. Bad sign when the staff stops trying to give you directions.  

 

 

But as to green mountain, I now have 2 pumpkins. One of which is slightly smaller than a basketball and already turning orange. The upside down tomato plant is giving around 8 smallish tomatoes a week regularly. And my husband actually volunteered to plant next years garden offering to investigating using draining excess water through a pipe system. (big eyebrows) Not sure if that's either ever going to happen, much less wise. But at least he's offered to help.

 

Oh and the weather 3-4 days dry, 3-4 days very rainy. 

 

Message Edited by TiggerBear on 07-26-2009 07:18 PM

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,678
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Vents and heat waves, and everything else!

Thanks for sharing that, Tigger. My doctor is always telling me to drink more water. I have to remind myself to drink during the day -- I don't know why, I don't think of it. It's weird, but my dr. can always tell from a blood test if I've been getting enough liquids. I guess it's easy to get dehydrated.

 

Wow, I can see why you've had enough of hospitals this week. Hopefully things will settle down for you soon! 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Vents and heat waves, and everything else!

This weeks early update.

 

Green mountain is up to pumpkin number 3. Looks like I'll be harvesting the orange one sometime later this week. And a small quadrant of the missalnoius green has produced 2 cherry tomatoes. Didn't notice them till they turned bright red this afternoon. I'll probably pick them come morning. That's if this rain lets up. 

 

yep that's right it raining again. Nasty storm Sunday night. Lightning and thunder so bad, it shook the house not to mention all the windows. Couldn't sleep even with earplugs. Like a firework display was aimed at my house ground level. Though oddly I've looked for burns on the structure and vegetation. Apparently all the electricity was ambient. But over all weather forecast is rain, storms, and fog for the week. Oh yeah and the counties farmers have put in for disaster relief. Crop failures all around. (shaking head) Look outside and everything is so green it hurts the eyes. But try to grow something structured and good luck.

 

As for MomIL, her health is better than it has been in weeks. Though she isn't speaking to me. The healthier she gets the grumpier and more verbally nasty. I think it's just her frustration creeping out. Either that or the no more caffeine campaign. I've told her if she drinks half a gallon of water I'll let her have what ever she wants to drink. So far though she's not past 4 cups a day. I don't know. My grandma 2 pots of coffee, quart of milk, and a gallon of water a day, and that was at 89. My mom who just turned 65 this month (go mom) a pot of coffee, 5 cups of herbal tea, and 8 to 12 cups of water. I wonder is this non drinking an attitude, a symptom, habit, or what?

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,678
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Vents and heat waves, and everything else!

I'm so sorry your mother doesn't appreciate your help. Well, you've come to the right place, because we appreciate your company! How exciting about the two little cherry tomatoes - those are so much fun to grow. My kids loved them when they were little! 

 

It's another rainy, gloomy day here, too. This whole year seems to have been filled with weather extremes. At least we haven't had the 100 degree days we sometimes get. 

Bibliophile
Melhay
Posts: 2,057
Registered: ‎12-11-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Vents and heat waves, and everything else!

Sorry to hear about your mom-i-l's frustration.  It seems she may just be frustrated and you are the first and easiest one to take it out on.  That is a shame.  I know my father gets that way at times when he is not doing well, but he does seem to find a way past it. (He had a severe stroke about 8 years ago and can't talk or use his right side.)  His girlfriend lives with him but I do visit regularly and stay with him when she goes on vacation.

 

I am glad to hear of the cherry tomatoes.  I was excited yesterday to tell everyone at home that we have a whole bunch of green tomatoes but 1 is turning yellow.  That means it is on its way to red.  I can't wait to start picking them.  I keep saying once one starts turning red they all will be ready.  We will be eating tomatoes till the cows come home (and we don't have cows.)

 

We are getting lots of rain here today also.  The only nice thing is I don't have to carry any 5 gallon buckets up to the garden today to water.  But this rain is just crazy.  I don't remember having a summer this wet in a long time.  Maybe we will have a nice September?  We have been getting a lot of rain here, so much that just a month ago people were getting flooded that never get water.  Just aweful here.

_______________________
"There are no honorable causes. There is no good or evil. Evil is only what we call those who oppose us." From Nyphron Rising, By Michael J. Sullivan

My Blog Spot: http://melissa-melsworld.blogspot.com/
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,678
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Vents and heat waves, and everything else!

Oops, sorry Tigger -- I said "mom" when I should have said "mom-i-l!"
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Vents and heat waves, and everything else!


becke_davis wrote:
Oops, sorry Tigger -- I said "mom" when I should have said "mom-i-l!"

It's ok. When they are both in the house it's mom(mom in law), and mama(my mom). My mother in law won't answer to anything but that and Shirley, and I so do not feel like using her first name. 

 

Thanks guys I really appreciate the company. Hubby has been pulling 14h shifts and I simply don't see him beyond handing him breakfast and dinner. It's me and the in-laws all day. And my father in law is a grumpy fellow on a good day. (chuckle)

 

She did try to start a conversation/argument today. But I refused to even listen to Obama the devil conspiracy theory. So she went back to glaring at me. But hey she's getting fast with that walker. Truthfully she walks faster with that than she has in the past 2 years. I offered to paint racing stripes on it for her and heard the first laugh in months. So it's not all bad. 

 

You know I didn't plant cherry tomatoes, nor those pumpkins. All of green mountains porduce so far is mystery vegis. I never thought of planting cherry tomatoes, but those were tastier than any I've gotten in a store.

 

Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud
Posts: 933
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Vents and heat waves, and everything else!

Wow, all this rain. I tried to escape the heat in California and the day I arrived in Victoria B.C. they had the beginning of a heat wave. Four days of record temperatures and when I left, the wind started blowing gently. I figure if the heat didn't kill me, I must be well enough to endure all sorts of things. In the high ninetees while I spent six hours at Butchart Gardens among hords of other visitors from all around the world. I had ice-cream twice; (normally I don't eat ice cream any more) and bought three big bottles of water.

 

That day at Butchart I walked about seven miles; all in all I walked over 27 miles in four days. Every single step was worth it; Victoria is a beautiful town - flowers everywhere. I never did see the crew that waters all the hanging baskets on the lamp posts downtown; the bus driver said they get watered every day and that there is no soil, only moss in the baskets. After I wondered how the multi-flowered planters stay so full and fresh in the heat he said, "they must be watering them twice."

 

I thought, maybe they have a watering system built into the lamp posts, but that couldn't very well be, since the lamps require electricity - it would be too strange and dangerous a combination. I'm thinking of sending an email to the city of Victoria to find out how they do it.

 

And by the way, Butchart Gardens is 55 acres of dream landscape for any gardener; I will put my pics on facebook once I have gotten some rest. 


TiggerBear wrote:

This weeks early update.

 

Green mountain is up to pumpkin number 3. Looks like I'll be harvesting the orange one sometime later this week. And a small quadrant of the missalnoius green has produced 2 cherry tomatoes. Didn't notice them till they turned bright red this afternoon. I'll probably pick them come morning. That's if this rain lets up. 

 

yep that's right it raining again. Nasty storm Sunday night. Lightning and thunder so bad, it shook the house not to mention all the windows. Couldn't sleep even with earplugs. Like a firework display was aimed at my house ground level. Though oddly I've looked for burns on the structure and vegetation. Apparently all the electricity was ambient. But over all weather forecast is rain, storms, and fog for the week. Oh yeah and the counties farmers have put in for disaster relief. Crop failures all around. (shaking head) Look outside and everything is so green it hurts the eyes. But try to grow something structured and good luck.

 

As for MomIL, her health is better than it has been in weeks. Though she isn't speaking to me. The healthier she gets the grumpier and more verbally nasty. I think it's just her frustration creeping out. Either that or the no more caffeine campaign. I've told her if she drinks half a gallon of water I'll let her have what ever she wants to drink. So far though she's not past 4 cups a day. I don't know. My grandma 2 pots of coffee, quart of milk, and a gallon of water a day, and that was at 89. My mom who just turned 65 this month (go mom) a pot of coffee, 5 cups of herbal tea, and 8 to 12 cups of water. I wonder is this non drinking an attitude, a symptom, habit, or what?

 


 

Correspondent
Par4course
Posts: 207
Registered: ‎05-08-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Vents and heat waves, and everything else!

Hi TiggerBear and everyone!  I've not been around lately - (first week off work, and I cleaned the house from top to bottom).  Sorry about your hassles with the in-laws, TiggerBear, but glad you can find something to joke about.  Here in Southern California we've been dry, dry, dry.  But that's normal.  I've got my soaker hoses going a couple times a week, so the veggies are green at least (yard is hopeless).  I've got way too many tomatoes, a couple of green and chili peppers, and yards of vine - I'm not too sure which is which squash, but I can tell the watermelon, and I've one teeny, tiny one coming! 
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Vents and heat waves, and everything else!


Par4course wrote:
Hi TiggerBear and everyone!  I've not been around lately - (first week off work, and I cleaned the house from top to bottom).  Sorry about your hassles with the in-laws, TiggerBear, but glad you can find something to joke about.  Here in Southern California we've been dry, dry, dry.  But that's normal.  I've got my soaker hoses going a couple times a week, so the veggies are green at least (yard is hopeless).  I've got way too many tomatoes, a couple of green and chili peppers, and yards of vine - I'm not too sure which is which squash, but I can tell the watermelon, and I've one teeny, tiny one coming! 

There is no such thing as too many tomatoes!

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,678
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Vents and heat waves, and everything else!

[ Edited ]