Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

What Flower or Plant Are You?

This question came up recently, and I didn't have to stop and think:  plain old white-with-a-yellow center daisy would be me.

 

I noticed that Choisya listed this as her favorite plant: Choisya ternata 'Sundance' (my favourite:smileyhappy: 

 

So, what about the rest of you?  What flower or plant defines you?  Or, if you prefer, which plant or flower would you LIKE to define you? 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What Flower or Plant Are You?


becke_davis wrote:

This question came up recently, and I didn't have to stop and think:  plain old white-with-a-yellow center daisy would be me.

 

I noticed that Choisya listed this as her favorite plant: Choisya ternata 'Sundance' (my favourite:smileyhappy: 

 

So, what about the rest of you?  What flower or plant defines you?  Or, if you prefer, which plant or flower would you LIKE to define you? 


 

Mystery Gardenia.
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What Flower or Plant Are You?

Ooh, good choice, Kathy.  Any particular reason you picked that one?
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What Flower or Plant Are You?


becke_davis wrote:
Ooh, good choice, Kathy.  Any particular reason you picked that one?

 

Gads, I just lost my reply, again...I went to look the flower up, and came back to a lost post!  This isn't my week. :smileysad:

 

I don't know why I picked that flower/plant, other than it was the first one that popped into my head.  I went with it.  I've always love gardenias, but for some reason I can't grow them.  When I lived closer to the coast, with my parents, my mother grew them.

 

I just now read that they do like to stay moist, acid soil, and planted high....I don't know what planted high means, other than not planting it too far into the soil.  Exposing part of the roots?  I don't know.  Can you tell me?

 

Anyway, they're not a spectacular plant, or flower, but the fragrance just sucks you in.  I love to pick the flower, it fills the house with it's scent. My neighbor has them, so I picked hers, or at least I used to before the new owners moved in last month.  I don't like the artificial fragrance of gardenia, though...no one can get it right.  I'm going to try, again, to see if I can grow one in a pot this year.

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What Flower or Plant Are You?


KathyS wrote:

becke_davis wrote:
Ooh, good choice, Kathy.  Any particular reason you picked that one?

 

Gads, I just lost my reply, again...I went to look the flower up, and came back to a lost post!  This isn't my week. :smileysad:

 

I don't know why I picked that flower/plant, other than it was the first one that popped into my head.  I went with it.  I've always love gardenias, but for some reason I can't grow them.  When I lived closer to the coast, with my parents, my mother grew them.

 

I just now read that they do like to stay moist, acid soil, and planted high....I don't know what planted high means, other than not planting it too far into the soil.  Exposing part of the roots?  I don't know.  Can you tell me?

 

Anyway, they're not a spectacular plant, or flower, but the fragrance just sucks you in.  I love to pick the flower, it fills the house with it's scent. My neighbor has them, so I picked hers, or at least I used to before the new owners moved in last month.  I don't like the artificial fragrance of gardenia, though...no one can get it right.  I'm going to try, again, to see if I can grow one in a pot this year.

 


I can't grow gardenias, either.  I remember them growing in Hot Springs, Arkansas, when I used to visit my grandmother there.  It's incredibly hot and humid there in the summer.  Maybe California is too dry for them.  Cincinnati winters are too cold for gardenias.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What Flower or Plant Are You?


becke_davis wrote:

KathyS wrote:

becke_davis wrote:
Ooh, good choice, Kathy.  Any particular reason you picked that one?

 

Gads, I just lost my reply, again...I went to look the flower up, and came back to a lost post!  This isn't my week. :smileysad:

 

I don't know why I picked that flower/plant, other than it was the first one that popped into my head.  I went with it.  I've always love gardenias, but for some reason I can't grow them.  When I lived closer to the coast, with my parents, my mother grew them.

 

I just now read that they do like to stay moist, acid soil, and planted high....I don't know what planted high means, other than not planting it too far into the soil.  Exposing part of the roots?  I don't know.  Can you tell me?

 

Anyway, they're not a spectacular plant, or flower, but the fragrance just sucks you in.  I love to pick the flower, it fills the house with it's scent. My neighbor has them, so I picked hers, or at least I used to before the new owners moved in last month.  I don't like the artificial fragrance of gardenia, though...no one can get it right.  I'm going to try, again, to see if I can grow one in a pot this year.

 


I can't grow gardenias, either.  I remember them growing in Hot Springs, Arkansas, when I used to visit my grandmother there.  It's incredibly hot and humid there in the summer.  Maybe California is too dry for them.  Cincinnati winters are too cold for gardenias.

No, it's not the climate here that's the problem.  And, as we've talked about, Calif. has a million different climates.  From coastal to mountains.  If my neighbor can grow them, I can't see why I can't.  What I just read of the Mystery Gardenia, you can also have them in the house, as long as they get plenty of sunlight.  You, with your climate, could always put the pot in the house during the winter, I would suppose, and bring them out in the summer.

 

Can you tell me what "planting them high" means?

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What Flower or Plant Are You?

Planting them high means don't plant them too deeply in the soil.  It's been found that plants -- and trees in particular -- will die if planted with the root flare (where the roots meet the base of the trunk or stem) too deep in the soil.  It doesn't seem to bother tomatoes (in fact, I've heard planting tomatoes deeply may improve their growth), but with iris, peony and several other plants in particular, it is best to dig a big hole, then mound the soil up in the middle.  This way, when you install the plant, the roots will only be an inch or two below the level of the soil.  Did I explain that right, or are you more confused than ever?
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What Flower or Plant Are You?


becke_davis wrote:
Planting them high means don't plant them too deeply in the soil.  It's been found that plants -- and trees in particular -- will die if planted with the root flare (where the roots meet the base of the trunk or stem) too deep in the soil.  It doesn't seem to bother tomatoes (in fact, I've heard planting tomatoes deeply may improve their growth), but with iris, peony and several other plants in particular, it is best to dig a big hole, then mound the soil up in the middle.  This way, when you install the plant, the roots will only be an inch or two below the level of the soil.  Did I explain that right, or are you more confused than ever?

 

No, you did fine! Thanks.  :smileyhappy:  Maybe that's the 'mystery' to the gardenia's success!  Now, I'm going to bed and sleep on it!  Tomorrow, I find my gardenia!
Contributor
chokeword
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎05-08-2009
0 Kudos

Re: What Flower or Plant Are You?


A simple little Bluet (Houstonia caerulea). Wiseacre Gardens - Bluet

 

This tiny unassuming flower looks like it would never make an impact. But in late May, they spread and bloom and will cover a field so thoroughly that you would swear we had a late snowfall. They absolutely take over the landscape and demand your attention. 

 

Much of my childhood was spend laying with a book (probably Alice in Wonderland) on Fat Lady Beach accross the pond, surrounded with these perfect little beauties. 

 

Oh, this makes me so nostalgic for home now! 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What Flower or Plant Are You?

So pretty!  And I love the name of your beach!
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What Flower or Plant Are You?


chokeword wrote:


A simple little Bluet (Houstonia caerulea). Wiseacre Gardens - Bluet

 

This tiny unassuming flower looks like it would never make an impact. But in late May, they spread and bloom and will cover a field so thoroughly that you would swear we had a late snowfall. They absolutely take over the landscape and demand your attention. 

 

Much of my childhood was spent laying with a book (probably Alice in Wonderland) on Fat Lady Beach accross the pond, surrounded with these perfect little beauties. 

 

Oh, this makes me so nostalgic for home now! 


 

Chokeword,

 

I love how you pull out the "nostalgic" stops!  How one little flower has so much impact on someone!  I felt you, for that moment!

 

After I came up with my flower, I thought about all of the other flowers, or plants, that I've come in contact with over a lifetime.  I love the rose, for fragrance, beauty, staying power, but found it too perfect and beautiful to describe as myself.  I thought about how much I love every zinnia,  all so different and colorful!  But found them to be of too many varieties, to pinpoint which one I wanted to be.  A visual kaleidoscope of every plant went flooding through my mind!

 

I felt you on that beach, and saw all of these flowers around you.  The tranquillity that we long for - Kind of like the books that come into our lives? :smileyhappy:

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What Flower or Plant Are You?


becke_davis wrote:

This question came up recently, and I didn't have to stop and think:  plain old white-with-a-yellow center daisy would be me.

 

I noticed that Choisya listed this as her favorite plant: Choisya ternata 'Sundance' (my favourite:smileyhappy: 

 

So, what about the rest of you?  What flower or plant defines you?  Or, if you prefer, which plant or flower would you LIKE to define you? 


So, Becke, how did you come up with your flower?

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What Flower or Plant Are You?

I don't really know -- I've just always been daisies.  When I got married, my good dishes were Metlox Sculpture Daisy, and I had cheapo Kmart melamine daisy-patterned dishes, too.  I've got paintings of daisies, and I used daisies when I set up my website (I'm also a struggling fiction writer, as some of you know.)

 

I always think of that line from "You've Got Mail" -- "I love daisies...They're so friendly.  Don't you think they're the friendliest flower?"

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What Flower or Plant Are You?


becke_davis wrote:

I don't really know -- I've just always been daisies.  When I got married, my good dishes were Metlox Sculpture Daisy, and I had cheapo Kmart melamine daisy-patterned dishes, too.  I've got paintings of daisies, and I used daisies when I set up my website (I'm also a struggling fiction writer, as some of you know.)

 

I always think of that line from "You've Got Mail" -- "I love daisies...They're so friendly.  Don't you think they're the friendliest flower?"


 

Yes, I noticed how much daisies seem to influence you...I'm looking at your card, daisies!

I was trying to think of how I would discribe you, if we were to describe someone else as a flower.  I see you as complex, but not so complex that you're hard to understand.  I see you as a tulip, too, they get more beautiful as you watch them open up.  :smileyhappy:  The daisy has a bright yellow center, with multiple reaching petals...that does say, you.  Goes with your personality. :smileyhappy:

 

I don't know of anyone as friendly as you!  I think your new RN name should be Daisy Martin!

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What Flower or Plant Are You?

Aww, Kathy, you are too nice to me!  I had to laugh, though, because at first glance I thought that said "Daisy Martini" -- I thought you were saying I'm a lush!!
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What Flower or Plant Are You?


becke_davis wrote:
Aww, Kathy, you are too nice to me!  I had to laugh, though, because at first glance I thought that said "Daisy Martini" -- I thought you were saying I'm a lush!!

 

Ha!  You're new name, Daisy Razz-Martini!

I was thinking of RN story titles for you!   You don't have to thank me!  Just send me Jose's finest! :smileyvery-happy:

 

 

Daisy of Wine and Roses

Daisy Gets Potted

Down and Dirty with Daisy and Her Friends

Don't Cry For Me, Daisy Margarita

Daisy Gets Plucked In The Flower Bed

Daisy Kisses a Snapdragon

Catching Daisy With An Open Venus Flytrap

The Mystery of Daisy's Lost Petals

Daisy Smiles When The Son Comes Up

 

(These are the clean ones!)  :smileyvery-happy:

 

 

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What Flower or Plant Are You?


KathyS wrote:

becke_davis wrote:
Aww, Kathy, you are too nice to me!  I had to laugh, though, because at first glance I thought that said "Daisy Martini" -- I thought you were saying I'm a lush!!

 

Ha!  You're new name, Daisy Razz-Martini!

I was thinking of RN story titles for you!   You don't have to thank me!  Just send me Jose's finest! :smileyvery-happy:

 

 

Daisy of Wine and Roses

Daisy Gets Potted

Down and Dirty with Daisy and Her Friends

Don't Cry For Me, Daisy Margarita

Daisy Gets Plucked In The Flower Bed

Daisy Kisses a Snapdragon

Catching Daisy With An Open Venus Flytrap

The Mystery of Daisy's Lost Petals

Daisy Smiles When The Son Comes Up

 

(These are the clean ones!)  :smileyvery-happy:

 

 

 


Clearly, I'm not the only one here who is a little nutty!

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What Flower or Plant Are You?


becke_davis wrote:

KathyS wrote:

becke_davis wrote:
Aww, Kathy, you are too nice to me!  I had to laugh, though, because at first glance I thought that said "Daisy Martini" -- I thought you were saying I'm a lush!!

 

Ha!  You're new name, Daisy Razz-Martini!

I was thinking of RN story titles for you!   You don't have to thank me!  Just send me Jose's finest! :smileyvery-happy:

 

 

Daisy of Wine and Roses

Daisy Gets Potted

Down and Dirty with Daisy and Her Friends

Don't Cry For Me, Daisy Margarita

Daisy Gets Plucked In The Flower Bed

Daisy Kisses a Snapdragon

Catching Daisy With An Open Venus Flytrap

The Mystery of Daisy's Lost Petals

Daisy Smiles When The Son Comes Up

 

(These are the clean ones!)  :smileyvery-happy:

 

 


Clearly, I'm not the only one here who is a little nutty!

 

:smileytongue:
Contributor
chokeword
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎05-08-2009
0 Kudos

Re: What Flower or Plant Are You?


becke_davis wrote:
Aww, Kathy, you are too nice to me!  I had to laugh, though, because at first glance I thought that said "Daisy Martini" -- I thought you were saying I'm a lush!!
 
Well, if you ever decide to go into adult entertainment, you've got a killer name to start out with.  :smileytongue:

 

Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,755
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What Flower or Plant Are You?


chokeword wrote:

becke_davis wrote:
Aww, Kathy, you are too nice to me!  I had to laugh, though, because at first glance I thought that said "Daisy Martini" -- I thought you were saying I'm a lush!!
 
Well, if you ever decide to go into adult entertainment, you've got a killer name to start out with.  :smileytongue:

 


And you know, some people think the Garden board is boring -- that all we talk about is plants and bugs.  (Shhh -- we won't disillusion them! But we all know gardeners love to...play in the dirt!)
Speaking of which, one of the funniest (and only) authors to visit here was Bill Alexander, author of the $64 Tomato.  That's a good book, and not entirely about gardening.
http://www.64dollartomato.com/
The $64 Tomato