Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Susan_Driscoll
0 Kudos

Getting Publicity for your Book

Many authors wonder about how to get media coverage for their books. Here are some tips:

Focus on local media or on the editors/media outlets that relate to the subject of your book. Stay away from book editors if you've self-published--they won't review your book. iUniverse authors have been featured in the NY Times but not in the book section; we've had an Indian cookbook featured in the food section; the author of a biography of Stepin Fetchit featured in the entertainment section. You're likely to have more success with non-book related editors.

Like it or not, the media thrives on contraversy (think sex, drugs and rock and roll.) In order to get attention for your book, you'll have to connect it to something or someone that's newsworthy. In publishing terms, this is called a "hook", which means that the story you create must "hook" the reader or the reporter. Also think about a seasonal hook for your book.

If you're writing non-fiction, offer yourself as an expert on your topic. I worked with an author, Liz Kelly, who wrote a book for iUniverse called "Smart Man Hunting". She started writing a column about dating and did publicity every Valentine's Day. Through those efforts, she became a nationally recognized dating coach and her book was eventually picked up by a traditional publisher.

If you'd like more information, I recommend a book titled "Making News" by David Henderson: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9781583484685&itm=1 David is a former CBS News correspondent, a PR professional and a self-published author and he brings an invaluable perspective to the topic.

Good luck!
Susan Driscoll
President & CEO
iUniverse
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Re: Getting Publicity for your Book

Dear Susan,
I have a question. I have friends who have worked together to publish a book (just came out) and I want to help them with the marketing. Aside from networking amid family and friends, I was wondering about book reviewers? This is a self-published work of fantasy. I tried search engines online to look for book reviewers but it seems just about anybody can open a website for that purpose. Do you know a resource that lists book reviewers that are well-known and well-read? I figure helping my friends out will be a great practice run for me when my own stuff gets out there, so I'll know what to do and who to go to. Right now the book is listed on Amazon (A Breathless Hush, by Diahna Lyons). I'd like to see it more in the public eye. I know getting good reviews is a key element. Any suggestions? I'll be sure to mention building a website for people to look at to the author and illustrator.

Thank you!