New User
JettyCat
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hello All

I decided to check my BNU account to see if there were any online classes being offered on getting published.

Can you say synchronicity?

I just finished my first children's book and of course I think it's the next great American novel:-)

Seriously, I have read it to friends and relatives (they have to like it) and all the responses were positive.

I've read that publishers like to use their own illustrators, however, I think if I self-publish with the illustrations, I can then send the finished book to publishing houses to see if they would like to pick it up.

Possible or dreaming - that's what I'm here to find out.

Hope from FL
New User
JerseyGirl282
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Courtenay! I am currently living in FL, but am originally from NJ. Enjoying the constant heat (to a degree... ha!) I really love to write poetry and always wondered how I could get my creations published. I am new to the book club, and would like to get direction from people who know more about publishing than myself.
Courtenay
Frequent Contributor
skipster56
0 Kudos

Hello again everyone. Just a little note to all of you that want to write a novel.
ALWAYS DO AN OUTLINE OF THE STORY.

Most people find themselves in a novel, about half way through, then get a block. To avoid that block, get a notebook and do an outline of the book.

Example: My new novel

A. Timeline
B. Characters
1. Name, age, (describe look) Main character
a. Describe the entire path the main character is taking, all the way
to the end of the book.
2. Next character's name and story
3. List any character's in order of importance. (You don't want to use the name
Jack, later on in the story, if you first named him John.
Then begin your Chapters.
Chapter 1. Beginning- They are young, in school, rebel against parents. (ex)
Chapter 2. Where do you want to be in the following chapters
" 3 and so on.

Final Chapter - They prove their love to each other and get married. (ex)

This will help you considerably in starting and completing a novel. I am releasing my new novel, very soon and already have the outline for my next novel, completed. I plan to complete that novel in about 3 months and have it completely edited. In the publishing world, writing is about 10%, editing is about 30% and MARKETING IS A WHOPPING 60%. Let's say you have written and published your novel. What now? You say.
The best start is getting you entire list of friends and neighbors to buy your book on Amazon.com and leave a top review for you. If you give any of your copies away, give them away with a perk for you. Have them leave a review for you. Remember. NO ONE, other than your family, friends and neighbors know who you are. I would bet many of them don't even know you wrote a novel or a book of poetry. Start out by calling local book stores and doing book signing. Make a mailing list or e-mail list to notify people and notify your local papers to run a story. This in all, will considerably help you if you are picked to be on the Oprah show. Worst case, is to be on a TV show and flub your interview. It happens quite a lot and those shows are not aired. Sort of do as the old Boy Scout motto stated. "Be Prepared" Practice - Practice- Practice. Good luck in your writing. Skip
View the new web page for Dangerous Love at www.skipstover.com
New User
ladymuniz
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself_Ladymuniz

Hello,

My name is Joyce, I am 27 and I deeply enjoy writing poetry. I have many pieces and find myself, quite often, wanting to know more about publishing. I wander the library and book stores admiring those who have been published and wish that one day I could find myself amongst them.

My poetry is very personal but I find strength in connecting with those who understand my writing.

So, what am I doing here? I simply want to learn the steps to publishing poetry... What the market is like? And any other bits of information that may be useful.

I am not sure if this is a place to share writing or if it simply a resource to ask questions regarding publishing.. Whichever the case I look forward to everyone's insight.

~ Lady
New User
adarah
0 Kudos

Hello, all. I really hope this book club proves to be beneficial for me...I've made an attempt to write two books (I got to about 70 pages on both)and I need guidance. I've always had a passion for reading and writing. I picked up reading quite early, and the rules of the English language have always come easily for me. I've always been praised for my technical writing skills and word usage, but no one has really read and critiqued my work outside of a "mechanics" evaluation. Because of this, I'm lacking confidence in my writing at times, and I suppose I need a professional opinion. The problem is, I don't know how to go about finding a professional. An editor, a professor, an author...SOMEONE!!! From there, I'd want to publish my work. I don't know how to go about doing that, either. That pretty much sums up why I'm here!
New User
brandi193
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:
Hi, my name is Kathy S. I live in So. Calif...where it never rains! Why am I here? Browsing the boards this morning, and for whatever reason, my cursor found it's way onto this topic, and I simply clicked it open to take a peek...hmmm, I've also wondered about this publishing company, the pros and cons, as it were.

I've written many things, in all types and styles, but nothing published for sale to the world-wide population. I have an off-the-wall mystery/novel sitting in my computer, and a memoir 'of sorts' waiting to be finished. Now, I've wondered if they are to stay where they are, or find their way to someone who knows how to edit these 'masterpieces' :smileywink:

Maybe is was dumb luck? fortuitous? I'm not sure why I'm here.
Kathy S.

Jessica wrote:
Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group.

Let us know why you're here -- do you have a finished manuscript and are seeking advice on how to get it published? Are you just starting to write and want
to learn the business aspects of the art?

Whatever your reason, welcome!

Message Edited by KathyS on 05-31-200708:01 AM

Hi Everyone,
My name is Brandi. I live in Southern California.I love art and I love to write. I am a college student and have some disabilities. So sometimes I am a little slower at things. I also own the worlds coolest weenie dog :smileyhappy: I write a little of everything. I have a lot of short stories, poetry, and children's stories. But nothing is published yet. I really want to be a published author though.I would like advice on getting my work published and learning the business side of things as well.I hope to make some great friends from this experience.
Frequent Contributor
Dezdura
0 Kudos

adarah wrote:
Hello, all. I really hope this book club proves to be beneficial for me...I've made an attempt to write two books (I got to about 70 pages on both)and I need guidance. I've always had a passion for reading and writing. I picked up reading quite early, and the rules of the English language have always come easily for me. I've always been praised for my technical writing skills and word usage, but no one has really read and critiqued my work outside of a "mechanics" evaluation. Because of this, I'm lacking confidence in my writing at times, and I suppose I need a professional opinion. The problem is, I don't know how to go about finding a professional. An editor, a professor, an author...SOMEONE!!! From there, I'd want to publish my work. I don't know how to go about doing that, either. That pretty much sums up why I'm here!

I was a professional editor (for technical writing firms) and have a professional writing degree. A substenative editor is what you need. Many years ago publishing houses used to provide this service. Editing was not as compartmentalised. Many writers who could barely write were guided to publication by word-smiths who basically re-wrote their complete manuscript. (If you will notice, many authors today are married to men or women who are very well versed in editing.) I believe the best way to become a better writer is to learn the complete editorial process. As you guess, this is not simply having someone tell you you have a dangling modifier, or a split infinitive. (I am also not the worlds best speller, as you might notice here-- but I dont like your spell checker).

I feel that the problem with substanative editing is that few English Majors like Rhetoric, and unpopular programs get cut. The were hot and heavy on Rhetoric in my college program.

And since this is an introductory thread, I will introduce myself. I am not a published author. I've just gotten into it again after around 10 years. I find I am better than ever. I am over 50,000 words into the rough draft manuscript of a novel. My main problem is remembering it is a rough draft. I have to remind myself.

That's all the time I have now (going to work)
New User
emilygrace
0 Kudos

Hi My name is Emily. I do not have any manuscripts completed but I have at least four story ideas floating around in my head. If anyone has any tips about getting started with writing I would greatly appreciate your advice. Ever since I can remember my favorite hobby has been reading, now when I finish a book I think to myself, "I wonder if I could write something like that." I look forward to learning whatever I can form these discussions.
"Bene legere saecla vincere"- To read well is to master the ages
Reader
Claddagh
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am a published author and a publisher. I love the written word; always have. While I have been a writer all of my life, I have spent the majority of my life working in the nonprofit sector. For the past ten years I have run a nonprofit organization which focuses on education, while working on behalf of domestic violence, child abuse, and human trafficking victims.

I have used a business model, called social enterprise to fund our programs rather than rely on grants, which have a tendency to disappear from funding sources. I have always donated my book royalties to fund these programs and will continue to do so in the future. In recent years, I have focused my writing on the topics of abuse and human rights violations; while I plan to return to fiction one day, nonfiction gives me the ability to promote awareness for our causes. I am very lucky to be able to combine my passions: writing and justice for victims.

The publishing company was formed to support the programs of Women In Need Network: domestic violence, child abuse, and human trafficking. Proceeds from our publishing projects will be donated to help the victims of abuse. (Social enterprise in action)

- So in a nutshell, this is who I am.
Claddagh Ltd. Publishing House
Your First Choice ~ The Right Choice
http://www.CladdaghPublishing.com
New User
AshmanRose
0 Kudos

I am new to this sort of thing. I have been taking a children's writing course and hope to be finished by the end of the year. I have been trying to submit articles to a variety of magazines with no positive response yet. My instructors and family have been very supportive. I hope that one day I'll be published but until then I prefer anonymity especially on the internet. :smileyhappy:

AshmanRose
New User
ethelgg3
0 Kudos

Hello, I'm Ethel from Florida and I am a poet. I've
been writing since my pre-teens. I have written some
short stories, but prefer writing poetry. In fact, I
love it. I joined this club to get some info on publishing
a book of poetry. I have some published poems in a
poetry anthology, but would really like a book of
only my poems.

Am looking forward to meeting you all.
Hugs,
Ethel
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,
Finally I've found the place I really need to be! Have loved browsing the boards and making a comment or two, but the stage I am at now is facing the big jump into publishing! Have been researching this mind boggling process for a few years but haven't built up the nerve to take the plunge. I've read how-to books, looked up the pros and cons of agents and publishers and kind of have a general idea of what I'd like to try first. Hopefully, reading everyone else's input will buoy up my bravery! I have been writing for years and have a handful of finished manuscripts (different genres) with the plans for many more already laid out and some begun. Just need to get my goods to market, so to speak. I'd love some good practical tips on beginning and carrying through this process.
Contributor
Debbie0108
0 Kudos

Hi,

My name is Debbie Diamond and I am new to the club. I have written my first book which is on line, but will be released to the public on December 12, 2007. My Book is titled "Someone Special For Me." My husband normally doesn't read romance but he was so caught up in this that he actually proofread my novel before I did. I am so excited about this. My publisher is PublishAmerica and hopefully you will get a chance to talk about it yourself. If you do get a chance to discuss it or read it I hope that it gives you that warm feeling inside. Thank you
Debbie Diamond - Author of "Someone Special For Me"
New User
Bellangel
0 Kudos

Hi My name is Angela Bell and I live in Georgia. I have been writing since (forever).. Mostly poems but I do have a few short stories that I started. I had been saving all of these writings for years and now I have over two crates filled with books, stories, poems, ect. About six months ago I finished a manuscript about spiritualiy " A fresh Approach to Loving the Lord" and I went through the editing process with myself and a friend. I already have it copywritten and I am thinking about publishing a e-book to generate income to promote the full version. What do you think?
Contributor
cjfarmer
0 Kudos

Hi I'm Jennifer and I live in Texas. I am a Speech Communication major startting out college a little late in life. I have always wanted to write but, most of my stories have found the bottom of the trash bin. I have lacked confidence in my work until recently when one of my teachers told me I had talent for the written word. I have tons of ideas and a short story in progress. I thought it best to start out with short stories and test the publishing waters in order to hone my skills and see if I really have what it takes. If not, then I'll continue to write for me :smileysurprised:) I have not had much luck with finding anyone who publishes fiction short stories. The sources I have found seem to be interested in nonfiction only. Can anyone help me find short story fiction publishers? Also, I have seen mixed emotions from other writers on sending a query letter. I don't think I would care for e-publishing or self-publishing. I would also like to find somewhere online where I could get more critiques on my work. I would like it to be as perfect as possible before sending it off into the unknown :smileysurprised:)
Jenn
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

cjfarmer wrote:
Hi I'm Jennifer and I live in Texas. I am a Speech Communication major startting out college a little late in life. I have always wanted to write but, most of my stories have found the bottom of the trash bin. I have lacked confidence in my work until recently when one of my teachers told me I had talent for the written word. I have tons of ideas and a short story in progress. I thought it best to start out with short stories and test the publishing waters in order to hone my skills and see if I really have what it takes. If not, then I'll continue to write for me :smileysurprised:) I have not had much luck with finding anyone who publishes fiction short stories. The sources I have found seem to be interested in nonfiction only. Can anyone help me find short story fiction publishers? Also, I have seen mixed emotions from other writers on sending a query letter. I don't think I would care for e-publishing or self-publishing. I would also like to find somewhere online where I could get more critiques on my work. I would like it to be as perfect as possible before sending it off into the unknown :smileysurprised:)

Hi Jennifer,
I know some people have posted their work (or samples of) on these discussion boards to get input. Personally, I'd love to check out what you've written. You sound concise and serious. Short stories can be so much fun and pack a punch! I don't know off hand of any short story publishers. Most volumes like that (which I have seen) have been published by authors who have already established themselves with full-length novels. That's not to say there isn't a market for you. Perhaps some of the others who have published or have an 'in' with the industry can shed more light on that. Query letters seem to be more of a necessary evil the more I do my research about them. If anything, you have to consider the agents and editors you are soliciting. If everyone just sent their full manuscript there's no way any human being would be able to do them all justice (as far as looking through them). A query letter is kind of like a teaser trailer; sent out to entice the interest and to generate a request for more of your work for review. I just wish there was a definite format for these! I know more writers who are stumped as to what to put into one of these! I hope someone starts a thread discussing these (especially in the publishing room).
New User
Bobbii
0 Kudos

Jessica,
I'm trying to find a way to promote my new book, and ran across this site. If you could visit my web page maybe you could give me some suggestions. Thanks. www.bobbi-illing.com
Bobbi
Contributor
Amulet
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Dan Ronco and I write tech thrillers and hard science fiction. PeaceMaker, my first novel, was released in 2004 by Winterwolf Publishing and Unholy Domain will be released Spring, 2008 by Kunati Books.

My story is a little different than most writers. I worked through a complete career managing software consulting businesses and then retired at age 53. Retired is the wrong word; I began an encore career as a writer, something I had been thinking about for years. After a great deal of sweat and effort, PeaceMaker was published by a small firm which unfortunately went belly up. Not my fault, I swear! But now I became a publisher as well as a writer. And it's not too bad.

Luckily, my second novel was picked up by Kunati Books, a first class outfit. So at this point I'm writing my third novel, getting publicity for my second and publishing my first. Getting published was an incredibly frustrating process and I made a ton of mistakes, especially with my first book, but I've learned a great deal about what works and what doesn't. If I can help anyone navigate the publishing process, let me know.
==============================================

Author of two near-future thrillers, Unholy Domain and PeaceMaker. Visit www.danronco.com
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Amulet wrote:
Hi, my name is Dan Ronco and I write tech thrillers and hard science fiction. PeaceMaker, my first novel, was released in 2004 by Winterwolf Publishing and Unholy Domain will be released Spring, 2008 by Kunati Books.

My story is a little different than most writers. I worked through a complete career managing software consulting businesses and then retired at age 53. Retired is the wrong word; I began an encore career as a writer, something I had been thinking about for years. After a great deal of sweat and effort, PeaceMaker was published by a small firm which unfortunately went belly up. Not my fault, I swear! But now I became a publisher as well as a writer. And it's not too bad.

Luckily, my second novel was picked up by Kunati Books, a first class outfit. So at this point I'm writing my third novel, getting publicity for my second and publishing my first. Getting published was an incredibly frustrating process and I made a ton of mistakes, especially with my first book, but I've learned a great deal about what works and what doesn't. If I can help anyone navigate the publishing process, let me know.

It's so neat to be able to have actually published authors to talk to. If you're serious about helping those of us who are "yet to be published" please do! I'd love to hear what mistakes you made the first time around and any good advice you may have. I know everyone's experience is different, but it helps to hear about people who have survived and conquered the first hurdles! That goes for anyone who has published and who has a moment or two to spare to share some advice or interesting stories on the process. We need you!
Thanks!
Contributor
Amulet
0 Kudos

One of the biggest mistakes I made with my first book was to not check out the publisher thoroughly. When he called me, I was so thrilled, and it seemed that everything was working out. Wrong. The publisher was a nice guy, he was very enthusiastic about my novel and we seemed to hit it off. But he had a couple of problems:he had been in business less than a year and really didn't know much about book marketing and did less; and he was underfunded, so he couldn't hire talented, experienced professionals. As a result, his business went underwater and all the authors were left scrambling. That's why I had to become a publisher.

So the lesson is don't get dreamy-eyed when a publisher offers to pick up your book. Treat it like making an investment, check out the size, experience, finalcial resources, number of employees, references from other authors, bookstores that carry his works, etc. Better to walk away than sign up with someone who doesn't have a good track record.

If you have specific questions, I'll do my best to help.
==============================================

Author of two near-future thrillers, Unholy Domain and PeaceMaker. Visit www.danronco.com