Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Great point! Thanks! Was this publisher someone you'd just happened to find by mailing out your MS or someone who approached you? What are some of the specific places you used to check out publishers' references? You mentioned you became a publisher, as self-publishing, right? I assume since you also referred to another publisher that had picked up one of your other books. Did it take a very long time to find your current publisher? What were some of the pitfalls?

Forgive my curiosity! I am going through the research process myself while completing the polishing up of the first MS I intend to try the waters with. I want to know as much as I can. I appreciate your time!
Contributor
Amulet
0 Kudos

Start your publisher research with a guidebook such as the Litery Marketplace or the Writer's Guide to Book Editors, Publishers and Literary Agents. You want to identify publishers who work in your genre and accept query letters from writers without an agent. Read the summary of each publisher and see which authors/books they have published, in particular, if any books seem to be in a subgenre similar to yours. Then do an online search and check out many of the references. Go to Preditors & Editors, an online service that rates most publishers based on feedback from writers and other publishing professionals.

At this point, you should have a handful of publishers that seem to fit your situation. Follow their submission guidelines, which is often a single page query letter. I suggest you send out several query letts simultaneously, since the publishers may not respond for many weeks, even months. Expect to recieve many rejections. Just send out additional query letters until you receive a positive response. That's a high-leel view of the process.
==============================================

Author of two near-future thrillers, Unholy Domain and PeaceMaker. Visit www.danronco.com
New User
shortlink
0 Kudos

Hi all,
I started writing short stories least year and want to develop my skills and learn more about getting published. I enjoy writing science fiction, but I'm also working with some ideas in fantacy.
Sure are a lot of us :smileyhappy:
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Amulet wrote:
Start your publisher research with a guidebook such as the Litery Marketplace or the Writer's Guide to Book Editors, Publishers and Literary Agents. You want to identify publishers who work in your genre and accept query letters from writers without an agent. Read the summary of each publisher and see which authors/books they have published, in particular, if any books seem to be in a subgenre similar to yours. Then do an online search and check out many of the references. Go to Preditors & Editors, an online service that rates most publishers based on feedback from writers and other publishing professionals.

At this point, you should have a handful of publishers that seem to fit your situation. Follow their submission guidelines, which is often a single page query letter. I suggest you send out several query letts simultaneously, since the publishers may not respond for many weeks, even months. Expect to recieve many rejections. Just send out additional query letters until you receive a positive response. That's a high-leel view of the process.

Thanks again. Every time I think I'm getting a good handle on my publishing research, I find there are other avenues I still need to walk down. I've learned so much on these boards! I appreciate your help!
New User
Patsang
0 Kudos

I'm Pat. I've been writing for years and am now committing myself to writing full-time. I've published book reviews and newspaper articles, though some of them appeared years ago so my current clip file is small.

I'm sending out query letters to magazines and hoping to get articles published on a variety of topics. Eventually I'd like to write a nonfiction book so I enjoy reading the comments of Susan and the book club participants.

Thanks for the support.
New User
arobins
0 Kudos

Hi, I am April Robins. I write children’s picture books with members of my family. I have a degree in Computer Science, my husband has a degree in Aerospace Engineering, and my daughter holds a degree in Elementary Education. I am the author of all our books and my family members are co-writers. I have three books published and seven more under contract. My first three books are on sale at barnesandnoble.com. They are “Where is My Bennie?”, “The Beautiful Princess Without a Face”, and “Zachary Goes Treasure Hunting.”

I have had a wonderful experience self-publishing through AuthorHouse. My books are visible worldwide. If you have questions about self-publishing, get in contact with me. I will share my experiences and help you get the information you need to get your book published.

To find out more about me, I have a blog at amazon.com, gather.com, and shoutlife.com.

By the way, I am here to learn from others.
Reader
GrandpaDon
0 Kudos

Greetings from The Great Pacific Northwest. I live in Portland Oregon.

I am anxiously awaiting a release date announcement for my new book. I have spent the past three years writing my manuscript. The title is, Understanding Meth: The Epidemic."

I was a drug addict/alcoholic for over twenty five years. I have been free from drug and alcohol addiction for over twenty year's. I was a meth addict/dealer for over ten horrible years. Everything you read about this, and other drugs is true!

I decided to try to make a difference in someone's life. This Meth Epidemic is running rampant here in Oregon. Middle school kids are trading their bodies for it and smoking in the Schools. I have had Grade school kids tell me about kids trying to force them to try it, at School.

I remember the first time I was approached and then how difficult it was to stop. So, I decided to do something about it. My new book is a self-help tool. I explain meth, the addiction, denial, recoovery and relapse. I include a chapter of slang terms and statistics related to drugs. I have a drug awareness web site and for the past three years I have been changing minds and saving people's lives, mostly kids!

Today my life is worth something.

Thank you for being here and allowing me to participate.

Grandpa Don.
GrandpaDon@SayNOtoMeth.com
Frequent Contributor
Irishbookish
0 Kudos

Author of Rhuddlan

Hi, my name is Tracey Lee Hoy, and I'm an ex-pat Australian living in Wales with my family.

I've been writing since I was very young, and, after having five kids, settled to the task of writing four books - the first one Authorhouse published in 2007. It's a strange thing being finally able to say you're an Author.

Writing seemed the easier part, it's the Marketing which is the BIG task, but I am determined to get Rhuddlan out there. I have written three sequels to this book although must sell more copies to fund each venture myself. I've written letters to hundreds of media outlets, emailed, tramped about various bookstores in various cities - a thing I must continue with this year - in between my day job and looking after a large family and generally just trying to attract positive energy...like catching that big wave!!

I developed my website on Wordpress which has been an invaluable marketing tool where I have introduced my book, posted extracts of Rhuddlan and other titles, and have written various articles just for fun, and which a lot of feedback to me has been brilliant. The internet is so far proving to be my largest source of sales.

The strangest feeling is having readers contact me saying they loved my work and asking when the sequel will be 'out,' however this is what makes the huge effort so worthwhile in the end, because it's the reader's opinion that I value the most. 

Hope to get to know other readers, writers, (whether published or not), and maybe learn from other people's experiences :-)

"As Time Doth Pass, Remember..."
www.traceybookish.wordpress.com
Author of Rhuddlan
Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: New short stories by R.Jenkins_Oliver

1. Laughing can be contagious is a little book of phrases of life humor."Humor is said to be good medicine.Humor had been shown in case studies to help relieve stress,lower blood pressure and help to
exercise the facial muscles." A laugh a day may help keep the doctor away. My little book of humor is sure to keep you laughing from start to finish. The book is written in large print.

Excerpt: A woman working in a busy office answered the telephone and said," to whom and I speaking to," The person on the other end hung up, called the boss and asked him, if he had a bunch of nuts working for him.
New User
Joemama1694
0 Kudos

Hi, I am Joe ,I live in Ohio and have a living passion to read. I am really starting to think that i can do more. I believe that will start writing and amazing book that will change the way people see things. Wow, that was a bad ending
Frequent Contributor
holyboy
0 Kudos

I've taken many writing courses since I retired early a few years back. I'm currently revising my novel. I am going to get it published one way or another.

I was happy to see this club in the B&N listing. Great idea.
Reader
GrandpaDon
0 Kudos

I am Grandpa Don

Hi, my name is Don L. Sutton; Grandpa Don to the kids. I live in Portland Oregon and I am married to my Peggy for nearly forty years. I have two grown children Rob and Beck and I have three Grandchildren, Anthony, Samuel and Olivia.

My manuscript is complete and ready for the publisher. I am just tweaking it a bit. I plan on sending it off to the publisher this week.

My book title is, "Understanding Meth:The Epidemic." It is a self-help book for those struggling to understand meth. It is aimed at the meth epidemic, but I describe other drugs and alcohol as well. I have spent years accumulating stories from ex-meth addicts all over. I include stories from families that have suffered disaster and there are tales of young and old people and their complete recovery.

My editor wrote, " Overall, your book is an emotional, terrifying and uplifting cautionary tale." I only hope and Pray that someone, somewhere will read my book and benefit from my efforts. If it only affects one life it will be worth every page!
GrandpaDon@SayNOtoMeth.com
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
0 Kudos

Hello Jessica and everyone...my name is Paula and I am an old hand at the B&N boards...just kidding...my first encounter with this board was through The First Look Book Club in January...now I am hooked...I have been invited to a couple of boards by some people from that group and I just happened upon this one...it is a very interesting board so far and I am learning a few things...I just started marketing my first book, The Dark Times, which is a compilation of poems about my journey through depression...so anything I can learn here will be very helpful...I am a teacher (Math: Algebra and World Languages: Spanish, French). I work at a junior boarding school in NE CT, where I am also a dorm parent to 16 wonderful boys...yes they are wonderful...mostly 8th graders...I  coach basketball, girls' soccer, karate and track...I was in the USAR for 10 years as well...it is nice to meet you all...
Peace and love,
Paula R.

"Adversity causes some people to break, but causes others to break records."

Author Unknown
New User
Ryan_Sherwood
0 Kudos

Hello to all writers and readers,

My name is Ryan Sherwood and I'm an author of two ebooks Hold the Light and Revenants : Fallen Savior on www.synergebooks.com. I've spent years chasing down agents and enduring the Catch-22 of needing an agent to get an agent it seems, as well as querying publishing houses of all sizes, to little avail. I have found several NY Times best selling authors that have started as ebook authors, lending a bit of encouragement to the doggedly-determined-to-the-point-of-delusional authors that feel like we're just spinning our wheels in the mud. I can't say I've have the luck as the aforementioned best selling authors, lacking an agent and money to advertising with, but its hope and much better than querying everyone and their mother to get my books noticed.
With the Kindle and other ebook reading devices, the ebook is on the rise, even if it is a slow ascension. And, as I hope, it can bring aspiring writers to print...or screens.
Thank you,
www.ryansherwood.com
New User
Ryan_Sherwood
0 Kudos

Hello to all writers and readers,

My name is Ryan Sherwood and I'm an author of two ebooks Hold the Light and Revenants : Fallen Savior on SynergEbooks. I've spent years chasing down agents and enduring the Catch-22 of needing an agent to get an agent it seems, as well as querying publishing houses of all sizes, to little avail. I have found several NY Times best selling authors that have started as ebook authors, lending a bit of encouragement to the doggedly-determined-to-the-point-of-delusional authors that feel like we're just spinning our wheels in the mud. I can't say I've have the luck as the aforementioned best selling authors, lacking an agent and money to advertising with, but its hope and much better than querying everyone and their mother to get my books noticed.
With the Kindle and other ebook reading devices, the ebook is on the rise, even if it is a slow ascension. And, as I hope, it can bring aspiring writers to print...or screens.
Thank you,

www.ryansherwood.com
Frequent Contributor
Kate_b
0 Kudos

Hi i'm Kate_b  i

love to write but i always get stuck on what to so for the falling actions. I ussaly write short storeis . How do you make a good falling action while keeping your readers interst?
A verey merry un-birthday to you and you. and you is it your un -birthday too?
New User
lindasands
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Linda Sands. I've been writing seriously for 7years and have had many essays, short stories and short fiction pieces published in the last 6 years. I am completing my 3rd novel manuscript and seeking agent representation. In the meantime I run a writing contest site for a group of editors and try to help them find the next big voice in fiction. I'd love to connect with other aspiring SERIOUS writers. You can check out my website and my blog at these links: www.linda-sands.com and http://linda-sands.blogspot.com/ and if anyone is into writing short fiction and would like to have their work read by a publishing industry pro- send it in to SCRATCH at this link-- http://www.scratchcontest.net all the info is on their website. good to be here.
Back to the page.
Linda
Contributor
Darcy_Andries
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hello,

My name is Darcy Andries. My first book was published in March by Ronnie Sellers Publishing (http://www.rsvp.com). It is titled "The Secret to Success is Not a Secret: Stories of Famous People who Persevered (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Secret-of-Success-Is-Not-a-Secret/Darcy-Andries/e/9781569069974...)

I do have a website. It is http://www.rainbeforerainbows.com as well as a blog and podcast http://www.rainbeforerainbows.com/blog/

Other than that, I'm not sure what else to say

Darcy

Message Edited by Darcy_Andries on 04-22-2008 12:41 PM
New User
cliff1974
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Cliff B.  Currently live in Wichita Falls, TX, pursuing a BA in English at Midwestern State. I'm almost done!  Once I get past that, I'd like to work in written communications, like editing, proofreading, etc. Currently work full time for the public library. Been writing since I was at least 10 years old. Had a short story I wrote for Creative Writing in high school back in 1992 published for a contest in a magazine, where I placed 3rd and got a whopping $35 for it(in 1992), can be found on helium.com now. I write poetry and mostly short stories, along with all the required book reviews and essays that college English classes require.  I published my first novella in February, which can be found here on BN.com called Out of Time, it's a science fiction/time travel story. I'm working on my next one, but, since I write mostly short stories and novellas, I'm wondering how to make it longer than 100 pages and 30,000 words.....
Author of science fiction novel Out of Time
www.cliffball.com
New User
teen_reader101
0 Kudos

here's the deal. im tierney b. i love to read... which may or may not weird for a thirteen year old. i love to write too... and one of the many reasons i love to read... is to nitpik ideas for a book of my own. why am i of all people here? i am dedicated. i have a goal in life... like or unlike many teens. i want to have my first book published by at least 20yrs... if not 25. i started off writing short stories... my first one being in 2nd grade... called the mysterious bus ride home. i got bored... immensely bored... the day i wrote it. but when it was done... i had read it to my class. it was exciting. ever since then... i knew what i wanted to be- an author. ive been published before too... but a short poem... also written in second grade. my 4th grade teacher loved the poem and recommended that i enter a peotry contest she found. before i knew it... i was in a book of poems from other child poets. that made my interest really grow. i started writing more and more short stories. in class when our assignment would be to write a story lasting at least three pages... id write mine seven pages long. but heres the thing. i want to write a novel. i know thats a fact. but i cantseem to grasp onto a topic thats not typical... and once it gets and stays  typical... it gets dumb, pointless, and just plain gay. when that happens... i stop the story. not a good idea... i know. thats why i was so relieved when i found this club... just today!!

so really... im here bcus i really wanna write a best-selling book... and some insight wouldnt kill a person.:smileysurprised:
Another Teen Reader.