Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Julie_Joan_Poss
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hello, My name is Julie Poss.
I'm 14 this month, and I've been writing stories and such since I was seven.
Well, now, I have a good story line for a book, and I'm committed to writing it, and I hope to get it published.

-Wrist Watch-
[Luke Gallade: FBI agent, and a 436 year old vampire. He has to keep his secret, secret. What could happen if someone found out? Well, not even he knows, but It can't be good right? He must work tirelessly to keep anyone from finding out, but what happens when someone finally does find out? Not good… or is it? What’s with that watch?; and is it possible that even greater forces are at work?]

There's a lot of things in the story line, but it all will work up into the ending. After I finish it, I hope to start on a second book. Thanks for support :]
Contributor
charles-weinblatt
0 Kudos

My name is Charles Weinblatt and I am the author of "Jacob's Courage: A Holocaust Love Story" by Mazo Publishers.  I am here to say that patience is a virtue in getting published.

For every story, there is an appropriate publisher.  I understand your angst.  My name is not James Michener or Tom Clancy either.  Beggars can't be choosers.  Or can they?

I learned how to get published before I tried to get published.  There are specific rules to the game and a valid press release is part of it.  Publishers want only what they want.  Giving them too little or too much will destroy your campaign.  So, what goes into a publishing proposal?  Plenty. Publishers don't want to read your manuscript, they want to read 2-3 chapters of it.  They want to know who will buy this book (a demographic proposal).  They want to know why they might buy it (a market analysis).  They want a competitive analysis, sales attributes, a synopsis, marketing strategy and a brief author biography (not too little, not too much).  They want only what they want. 

Now you need to write a cover letter.  That cover letter should be no more than three paragraphs, explaining why your book will be the next best seller.  If you can't grab them with something life threatening in the first paragraph, you and your fine proposal will be virtually dumped.  Your first 3-4 cover letter sentences will make or break interest.  All right, maybe it doesn't have to be life threatening.  But, you still need to grab them quickly. 

Here is what I used:  "How would you feel if, at age seventeen, the federal government removed you from school, evicted you from your home, looted your bank account, prevented your parents from working and deported you and your loved ones to a prison camp run by brutal taskmasters?  How would you feel if you suddenly lost contact with everyone you know and love?  How would you feel if you were sent to the most frightening place in the history of mankind, and then forced to perform unspeakable acts of horror in order to remain alive?"

Granted, your story might be less life threatening.  But there still must be something special about it.   Hook them with your cover letter.  Reel them in with your proposal.

Land them by finding the right publisher for your book.  Don't be too swayed by the appeal of "self-publishing" or "vanity publishers."  They promise to put your book in print.  But, will anyone read it?  If you just want a nice glossy book with your name on it for the coffee table, then fine.  But you had better be willing and able to do your own marketing, distribution and sales.  I wanted a traditional publisher; someone with experience marketing my type of book and who has the distribution channels that I don't have.  It takes a while longer, but somewhere out there, you can find a publisher who specializes in your book. 

The easy part is submission.  Most publishers prefer electronic submission, which is great.  It means that you can send your standard proposal with a customized cover letter again and again and again.  Just make sure to research each publisher and customize the cover letter with the right names, etc.  And, finding publishers is the easier part.  They are all over the Internet.  A Google search is a good start.  Metacrawler is also interesting search engine.  I ended up collecting over 200 publishers, for Jewish books alone! 

Eventually, I found my publisher.  It turned out to be an Israeli publisher, with strong ties to the US - Mazo Publishers, Jerusalem.  They not only specialize in Jewish books, they specialize in Holocaust books and memoirs.  When I was offered their contract, my lawyer and I agreed that it was a perfect match.  Now, I don't have to be a maven at selling books.  It's in my publisher's incentive to do that.  I can concentrate on my sequel.

I learned how to do this on the Internet.  I'm a retired university administrator, but I'm not a genius.  If I could do it, then you can.

Good luck,

Charles Weinblatt. Author

"Jacob's Courage"

csw1@sev.org

Charles S. Weinblatt
Author: Jacob's Courage
New User
claulativa
0 Kudos

Hello, My name is Claudia, I'm from Colombia and I'm  journalist.Right now I'm working as a editor for a new book that is gonna be published this year.I also working in my  first new book.

I would like to know people in this area who would like to exchange knowledge and experiencie.Thanks.

Contributor
charles-weinblatt
0 Kudos

I would be happy to answer your questions.  Getting published is a game.  If you learn the rules and play it well, you will be successful. 

My original post (above) reveals how to create a successful publisher proposal.  Next, you need to create a brief catchy e-mail lure that will entice a publisher to read your proposal.  Then, you have to be willing to locate and contact hundreds of publishers.  Eventually, a publisher will want to read your manuscript.  Virtually all publishers today prefer to do all of this electronically. 

Let me know how I can help.

Chuck Weinblatt

Charles S. Weinblatt
Author: Jacob's Courage
New User
claulativa
0 Kudos

Hello:Thanks for your information.It was very helpful.