Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group.

Let us know why you're here -- do you have a finished manuscript and are seeking advice on how to get it published? Are you just starting to write and want
to learn the business aspects of the art?

Whatever your reason, welcome!
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

[ Edited ]
Hi, my name is Kathy S. I live in So. Calif...where it never rains! Why am I here? Browsing the boards this morning, and for whatever reason, my cursor found it's way onto this topic, and I simply clicked it open to take a peek...hmmm, I've also wondered about this publishing company, the pros and cons, as it were.

I've written many things, in all types and styles, but nothing published for sale to the world-wide population. I have an off-the-wall mystery/novel sitting in my computer, and a memoir 'of sorts' waiting to be finished. Now, I've wondered if they are to stay where they are, or find their way to someone who knows how to edit these 'masterpieces' :smileywink:

Maybe is was dumb luck? fortuitous? I'm not sure why I'm here.
Kathy S.

Jessica wrote:

Let us know why you're here -- do you have a finished manuscript and are seeking advice on how to get it published? Are you just starting to write and want

Message Edited by KathyS on 05-31-200708:01 AM

New User
JessQ
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Jessica Q; and I just moved to Kentucky from Hawaii. Needless to say, this move should give me ample free time in which to sit down and actually write. Sadly, I have no manuscript complete at this time.
I started writing (in a non-compulsory capacity, that is) last year mostly to amuse myself. I really wanted to try stand-up comedy, so I wrote a bunch of material, mostly first person essay-type short pieces, with the hope of creating a stand-up routine (whether or not I would actually take steps to perform it was quite another matter entirely). When I ran the material past my husband for feedback, I was told it was teriffic writing but lousy stand-up. So I continued to write the same sort of material, just minus the thought of ever having to perform it in front of people (quite a relief when you think about it) My goal is, of course, to go to the next level, as it were, and write something a bit longer. As a career in writing has always appealed to me, I would really like to learn the business aspects. Now I just need to write that novel...
New User
Maverk
0 Kudos

Hi, I am S. (Johnny). I was browsing and found the site. I do have several manuscripts written in different genres. I have been searching for a publisher for them. Hopefully someone can help direct me to one. I don't know much about the publishing business. Currently I'm working on a novel about two genocide survivors, a fiction.
Frequent Contributor
crAZRick
0 Kudos

I'm Rick, I'm crazy, I'm addicted to writing, and I can't kick the habit!

maybe a few more huge embarassing failures while attempting to get something sold or published will finally convince me that I'm not cut-out to be a writer, so I can die a lonely, depressed and broken soul...

it's good to have goals, eh? :smileyhappy:
I no longer regret that I have no quote, quip or anecdote to share with my countrymen... how about all y'all?
Frequent Contributor
magicalbookworm
0 Kudos

Hello, I'm Cindy, from Utah. I've been writing for nine years now and have decided that I'm going to need some help getting published. I have a hand ful of novel compelted in differnet genres. Hopefully something from this class can help me move on to the next step!!
New User
TruthSeeker
0 Kudos

Hello. My name is Rose and I live in Hawaii. I recently became a freshman - but don't judge me on my age! I'm quite apt at writing for my age. I started out writing fanfiction for the anime Naruto and the Harry Potter books, but even before that I was writing poetry. It's only been recently that I've had to use colums on the page to get it to fit on a page when printing, though. Now I''m trying to write longer storys ad hope to progress into writing the 'master plot' - the plot that will turn into a book eventually. Keyword: Eventually. I post my short stories and poetry on websites where they can be read easily and so I can get feedback for them. Hmmm... I suppose that it's about me and my love of writing... Dear me, I do have a tendancy to ramble. Ah well, See you around.
JAR
Contributor
JAR
0 Kudos

Hi; I am Joyce. I joined the Fiction Writing Club and have transferred to The Writing Room. I have written all my life, mostly non-fiction for work. The last work I had published was college and they published my illustrations.

I am serious about writing and I want to get the best publisher I can for my work when it is finished. Sounds a bit egotistical. I think I can write stories that can entertain, keep you on the edge but still inform.
NEM
Contributor
NEM
0 Kudos

I am Computer Science major who is trying to shift gears and do justice to a remarkable story. I live in Wisconsin, where we've recently brought my father in law to stay (he finally 'retired' after having heart surgery at 82). We have a rough manuscript of his WWII stories (around 500 page not counting pictures), a collection of his "butterflies" (collection of random thoughts, puns, jokes, and quotes), and other life adventure stories. However, he wrote the bulk of the original material in the somewhat dry manner of the engineer he was. It should read like the action/adventure that it was, but he used passive voice almost exclusively in his writing. The pieces need to be edited, woven together and/or culled into a cohesive story.

I've been going to a local book store "writers group" and have been improving, but I am not a sound writer (yet). I also tried the B&N screenwriter’s book club, but "life got in the way" around the time the assignment was related to the movie 'the 40 year old virgin' which I found to be crude and sophomoric. A genre I have to be in the mood to tolerate. I get weary of TV & the movies pandering to the crude laugh and going for stupid instead of tying to raise the bar and make us think. I think the fact that there was a good story premise under all the T&A made it even sadder (sorry I digress -- which irked me about some of the people posting in that group). I hope to be able to keep work on this group more, now that things have calmed down (ha ha).
--- NEM
New User
Marty
0 Kudos

I have several manuscripts in-process. I'm here because I enjoy interacting with other writers. I hope to eventually learn how to get / use an agent, and how to select a publisher.
Contributor
SundayArtist
0 Kudos

Hi Y'all!

I'm here because I hope participating in this group will help me to stay motivated and keep moving (however slowly) towards getting published.

My first goal was to illustrate a children's book, mostly as a hobby rather than a vocation (and self-taught). Somewhere I read that it is good to write your own book to illustrate, so I have written a picture book that is now in the story board stage for illustration.

I want to learn about the process and the business aspects while I am working on the book, since this will probably take me a long time.

I was a pediatric speech therapy assistant for about 3 years and I am interested in writing words and phrass that play and flow off the tougue and that children would have fun saying.
New User
TS_Augustine
0 Kudos

My name is Trevor. I loved writing so much that I taught myself to type at age 6 because I wrote too slow (and ended up hating longhand for the rest of my life). I am a freshman in college earning a degree in Film Production, but I will always be writing. I have four short stories, two novellas, three screenplays, and two novels to my writing achievements. And no, they're not published. That's the problem. :smileyhappy:

I'm a big fantasy and science fiction writer. While the genre makes up the majority of my work, I've experimented with comedy and realistic fiction. Major author influences include Orson Scott Card, JK Rowling, Dan Brown, Phillip Pullman, Brian Jacques, and Oscar Wilde.

I write because it's the only way to satisfy my imagination. I've been blessed with a mind that is constantly rocketing with ideas for stories, whether on the silver screen or in a paperback novel.
New User
Momof5_lovestoread
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Lisa and, like my screen name suggests, I'm the mom of 5. Because I'm a stay at home mom the only break I get is in my imagination when I read. My absolute favorite is romance in the Civil War era. I love the strong female characters and heroic men.

This is what prompted me to start my own books about characters I have developed and grown to love. I would love to get them published some day. But until that happens, I'll just keep my characters alive on paper for my family and friends to share.
Frequent Contributor
Noir
0 Kudos

Hi, My name is Leigh.

I'm here to learn as much as I can about the publishing industry. The types of stories that publishers are looking to put in print and magazines that want short stories. I'm here to network and learn from fellow writers. Illustrators, too since I have an idea for a comic book.

I have a very rough draft of a fantasy novel I started years ago and I short stories I worked on in the the old B&N writing Science Fiction Club. My goal is to be a be a published author. I'm here to get the information to accomplish that goal.
Contributor
lily_sparkletoon
0 Kudos

I am called Lily Sparkletoon as a pen name. I came here seeking more information on publicity. I have two books. I have other manuscripts.
Author of
Acoustical Poetry
Tales of Tara : Gabrielian Chronicles (soon to be released)
New User
sundra_wilder
0 Kudos

Jessica wrote:

Hello everyone! I am 5 minutes new to this site. I ascribe to the pen name "sundra" which is a combination of my first and middle name. I am a 47 year-old female American who has written several "beginnings" and ideas for a novel, but have NEVER prepared them for publication (except for a few poems which I may post here). I am tired of being tired of waiting! I sort of surfed across this portion of the BN website. I am surprised that I was unaware of this segment of BN, but "it's never too late", right?
I am open to suggestions as to what direction I should proceed. I will of course continue to search. I am excited about the potential. Currently I am looking to try to submit some short stories (boy/girl; girl/girl relationships)for publication as well as establish mysself as a freelance fiction writer.
Contributor
Everlasting
0 Kudos

Hello Everyone,
My name is Linda M. I just published a futuristic science fiction novel called
Moon over Key Biscayne. This is my first novel, and I have a few other manuscripts
that I am working on right now. Writing is a form of spiritual expression. What moves us to write? Our life experiences? Experiences that the world presents to us? Since writing reflects our inner spirit, I tried to present a modern current events view, and add a spiritual connection with resolution through science fiction. I look forward to discussions about writing.
New User
sundra_wilder
0 Kudos

sundra_wilder wrote:

Jessica wrote:

Hello everyone! I am 5 minutes new to this site. I ascribe to the pen name "sundra" which is a combination of my first and middle name. I am a 47 year-old female American who has written several "beginnings" and ideas for a novel, but have NEVER prepared them for publication (except for a few poems which I may post here). I am tired of being tired of waiting! I sort of surfed across this portion of the BN website. I am surprised that I was unaware of this segment of BN, but "it's never too late", right?
I am open to suggestions as to what direction I should proceed. I will of course continue to search. I am excited about the potential. Currently I am looking to try to submit some short stories (boy/girl; girl/girl relationships)for publication as well as establish mysself as a freelance fiction writer.

Well, there are several things going on with me. I have two pieces that I would like to develop into a novel and I have one idea that I would like to develop into a novel. I would like direction on completing my work and most importantly starting this new one. I would like to know of a writing club in my area that would be supportively critical
New User
Leslie
0 Kudos

Hi. My name is Leslie. I'm interested in the group because I want to learn more about writing and the long process of getting published. I am a mother of four rambunctious kids...reading and writing are my outlets. I love to read, think, and write. I started blogging about a year ago to help sate my desire to write. Getting immediate feedback from readers is icing on the cake. It's been a fun year of blogging, but I think I'm ready to get a little more serious about writing my book.

I'm ready to learn more from other writers and editors.
New User
Tajunska
0 Kudos

Re: Historical Fiction Writer

Hi,

I am a published author with 4 books (author of one, co-author on two others and translator on one) on the market; however, all of these are historical research works associated with WWII / military subjects (all hardcover, the largest at 416 pages). I am a former Army officer, hence the interest!
History in general has always been a major fascination for me and as well as factual material, I also find that I really enjoy writing historical fiction.
In fact, I am currently in the midst of crafting two historical novels (all research work completed for both, chapter outlines written for both, and actual writing underway on one) - but as these do not fall within the realm of my current publisher's range I will have to locate another more mainstream publisher / agent to market my novels when completed. I am hoping to gather some advice in this department from the people here - very nice to meet everyone!
Other details: I am a single dad with a 22 year old daughter (who's in the Army and scheduled to deploy to Iraq in December). I have a full-time, unsatisfying job. I am also a freelance artist, and a musician as time permits.