Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Websites for Authors

Nowadays it is often recommended that authors publish their own websites for marketing and promotion. There are several ways to do it and several tools. The question I want to pose is: What do you expect to find on an author's website? What do you like? What don't you like? What makes an author's website stand out?

Input anyone?
New User
aroundthewaybooks
0 Kudos

Re: Websites for Authors

I would say the first thing to do is to look at other authors' websites and see what features you like/don't like. Make notes, ask your friends and family to help, do your research. If you don't know a lot about website design or promotion you may also want to hire someone for this. Creating a great website is one thing but you also need to promote it so people will visit it (and hopefully buy your book). Good luck!
You don't just read the words, you experience the stories.
http://www.aroundthewaybooks.com
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply! I admit that I've only seen a couple of author's websites that I liked. Most seem to be hard to figure out or crammed with information (the same goes for websites from other ends of the industry). I have a web design layout figured out that I like but I want to know what other people look for in an author's website. What types of topics do they like to see, how much information is too much information, do they like interactive opportunities, etc. Half of my family are artists (writers, musicians, and artists) and the other half are computer people so I'm covered on support for both ends. I want to put out a website that attracts people and that they will not only be comfortable visiting but want to visit again because the experience is good.
Frequent Contributor
Dana_M_Baird
0 Kudos

One thing that is popular but drives me batty is automatic music on a website.  I often turn off my speakers so I don't have to get bombarded with noise every time I click on a new website.

I'm also not as keen on large-scale flash movies and huge amounts of intricate graphics (but that is partially because my computer at home is still chugging along on a 56K modem).  High speed or not, a web page that takes more than 30 seconds to load up will still send someone elsewhere.

Just thoughts off the top of my head.

Dana
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

You know, I've heard that lately; that the flashy graphics are more of a hindrance than a gain to a website. I appreciate the extra confirmation. I think you're right about the load-up time. It is a turn off, especially if you have to go through it every time you pull up a website. I'm with you on the music thing too. If it's not your kind of music it tends to be annoying unless there's a handy shut-off button.

Here's one thing I hate: loads of advertising. Not everyone has it but there are those that do. I don't like loads of favorite links cluttering the page too, especially if it has nothing to do with that particular author or publishing market.