Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
MrDemarco
0 Kudos

Re: Why Do You Write?

I write because i have people i want to introduce to the world these people, or characters that i have created or based off friends need to be known by the world!

I write not only for me or my characters...But for the story itself...will i publish yes! im talking to publishers now. so when i finish my novel and can publish and move on to the other 11 i have notes for...

thank goodness im still young.

Here is the Blog for the first book...its got pics excerpts..please see and enjoy. Meet my characters face to face.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=159011598
New User
Momof5_lovestoread
0 Kudos

I started writing my first story. The first line of the story was the first thought I had when I woke up one morning. Now,40 full pages later, the characters have taken on their own essence. While I have the plot and twists already figured out, many have emerged on their own through character building. I love writing. I love getting to know my characters. I can't wait to finish this book so that I may start a new one on a subcharacter. They have become part of my family. It will be so exciting to see where their stories will take me.
JAR
Contributor
JAR
0 Kudos

Of course I want to be published. Whether I write non-fiction or fiction, I hope that it is of interest to those hearing or reading what I have to say. I am passionate about history and live in a place that is the beginning of our country as well as the beginning of our state. There are so many stories to be told. Not places and dates but the people why they came here, what they were looking for, and their reasons for staying in this particular place. The what if here is great. I think history is some of the best fiction written and I hope that I can show points of view and say this is who was here, this is the reason they gave for coming what if there is another reason not stated, the emotional reasons also. Keeping the history as it is known, of course, but saying of the people, great and small, what if.
Contributor
lovetoread
0 Kudos

Nelsmom wrote:
I wrrite some poetry when I have strong feelings about something. I especially write when I want to express feelings for someone and I am having a hard time saying the words out loud. I wrote some poems after my youngest sister died of complications due to her having lukemia. My family are the only ones that have seen my poems.

Toni

I write for the same reason....it's helps me organize my thoughts, and put into words that don't have to be spoken. And, if can sure help make it through the day....
New User
jonesky368
0 Kudos

I write because I have something to say. Textbook! Right? I love written and spoken word! I believe that words are magical. I am always amazed when words dance. They dance on pages and off of people's tongues. They are magic. They can be false or true - or believed to be false or true. They can be interpreted, deciphered, translated, have hidden agendas, encrypted, soothing, lyrical, sharp, harsh, beautiful, soft-spoken, light or dark, perfect, sinful, uplifting, fun, coy, to-the-point, embarrassing, symbolic, metaphors, ingenious, bountiful, harsh, melodic, pointless, specific, casual, formal ... They are magical!
I think that when someone is able to transfer emotion and/or feeling to another person through words -- and the reader/listener really feels the emotion, that that is magical. That magic -- the ability to take another person on an emotional journey, to give someone an experience, to say, "See what I have seen!", or "Hear what I have heard!", "Here is what I imagine!", "These are my fears!", is an incredible gift! It is one that few people have. I write because I want to be a part of this experience. I want to share words with others who want to experience the magical power of our language!

Kathie :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I write for a few reasons. The first is that I'd go mad if I didn't. I think so much about everything that I think I would drive myself to insanity if I didn't release that thought into something else. Second, and probably the main reason I do write, is that I want to be able to affect people in the way that many writers have affected me. I constantly find myself absolutely amazed at how something is said; its beauty shocks me. (Dante had me stunned at his description of the underworld as a place "where the sun is speechless".) Even if only one person on the planet could feel by reading my writing what I have felt when reading so many other people's writing, I would be content. Of course, before that can happen, I actually have to SHOW people my stuff, but I'm still young and developing my writing skills. I've always had a dream to be a writer, but I kind of gave up on it until recently, because I had to write a few things for school and my teacher's remarks were very encouraging. I don't know if I'm ever going to be published in my life; I suppose I would like to be one day just because I put so much joy into it and would like to share that with the rest of the world, but I definitely don't want to write just for fame and fortune. It's also a funny way in the world that a lot of writers aren't really recognized until after they're dead, so you can't base a desire to write on either of those things. I don't know if anyone else experiences this, but I frequently will be just thinking about something, and the beginning of a poetic description will pop into my head, and then I'll keep thinking about it and it will develop into a poem or a paragraph. And I can't just sit down and write something (I admire anyone who can do that and do it well); I usually have to be emotional, or just want to unburden myself of all the tumult of life in general. I guess I write for some higher purpose, the perfection that we all want to emulate but never really can, and that's beautiful. I write for beauty, because there is so much ugliness in the world that you might as well make it beautiful.

Message Edited by APenForYourThoughts on 07-05-2007 03:18 PM
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
skipster56
0 Kudos

I began writing simple, free verse love poetry years ago. I self published a book of the poetry and sold all 800 copies, at $10 a copy, in 1978. That told me that my goal was worth pursuing. I wrote on napkins, paper towels, anywhere I got the emotion to put it into words. As I said, they are simple, but powerful words. I was told by many that I should write a love story. I took classes and studied hard. One of my first memories of class, was, if you are going to write, keep an outline. For my poetry, I published Solitary Thoughts, Wings of a Love, in 2005. It is currently available at Barnes and Noble.com and Amazon, and I am donating all my net proceeds to the Baltimore Ronald McDonald House. Here is a few of my favorite poems from solitary Thoughts.

"If you should awake in the night,
and I'm asleep,
wake me, so you won't have
to fall asleep, alone...."@cs

"When I am with you,
I feel as if I could support the
world upon my back.
But away from you, I feel as
if I am being crushed
beneath the weight of
the world..."@cs

"A tear speaks no words
on its journey to the pillow,
but takes with it
a piece of my heart
each time it falls..."@cs
View the new web page for Dangerous Love at www.skipstover.com
ABI
Frequent Contributor
ABI
0 Kudos

I write for many things. First, it gets me through the day; putting myself in someone else's shoes, or another's life is rather stimulating, what with school, and whatever else one doesn't want to think about, it pulls me away from displeasures, keeps the mind focused on something different, without the constant strain pressing in. i also feel as though i have a goal in writing, like there is really something i am striving for. Any other reason is beyond my grasp, certainly, far too complex to contemplate. Though I know it is a consuming past time, once you start, it is impossible to quit.
"There is nothing easier than self-deceit."
"Bombing for peace is like f***ing for virginity"
"There is no such thing as death, only the absence of life."
"There is no end, unless you let it."
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

I write because I have a knack for storytelling. It can release stress , I have a journal at home. I divided it into different sections.
I have separated it for sections I can write on when im:
Pissed
Simply thoughtful
Being dumb
In love
Thinking of my friends

I write when I don’t have anything to do during weekends.
I love to share stories with other people
I love to draw too.
I don’t really have proper training when it comes to writing. I was able to write my own story though!
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

I write because it is a natural instinct to express myself this way. Before I could read I was drawing out picture stories (sometimes in other books!) I have loved to write actual letters as well as e-mailed epistles. I have kept several journals throughout my life. I have written letters that were never mailed or sent but were written just relieved my feelings. I wrote essay sized answers on tests which made my teachers beam and my fellow students look at me as if I were from another planet. I write stories to immerse myself in other worlds and if I'm lucky, I take other people with me. I wrote plays for the joy of entertaining other people. I write with other people to share in the craftsmanship and to learn as well as teach. I write to escape when stress bogs me down. I write when I see a glorious sunrise or sunset and it burns into my soul. I dabble in poetry and song lyrics to match my compositions. Even writing music is a form of writing to convey a message to others though it may only look like black notes and strange hieroglyphics on a lined page. I write because I enjoy this form of creation and I'm always pushing myself to see what new or crazy ideas I might come up with next. I write because I express myself best this way, rather than vocally.

I write because this is one talent I've been given and I intend to exercise this gift rather than loose it by not doing it.
Contributor
PBuermele
0 Kudos

I like your poem, Rick. It's very cool.
Paula Buermele
www.thedreamcatchertour.com
Contributor
PBuermele
0 Kudos

I write because I am curious: I have questions and I like to write down the answers. The best part is I get to make up any answers I don't know, or even change the questions if that works better. It's just plain fun.
Paula Buermele
www.thedreamcatchertour.com
New User
Bellangel
0 Kudos

I write because I have the freedom to be me. I write because it is easy way for me to know what I am feeling. I write because I know that someone out there is thinking the same thing and cant say it. I write to try to create a world I can understand. And I write because if I say the worng thing I can rewrite it, erase it, or just leave it alone. I want to publish what I write because I have a unique expression and perspective that will be historically significant.

So, for these reasons I will continue to write.
Abell
Contributor
cjfarmer
0 Kudos

I have thoughts and emotion pent up inside raging to break free. Writing completes me, helps me understand who I am and how I can better myself. I have seen and suffered two lifetimes of pain and sorrow, there must be some happiness. There is, I write, it's my happiness and no one can take that away.
Jenn
New User
learningthetrade
0 Kudos

I write because I must.
Frequent Contributor
crucker
0 Kudos

Re: Why Do You Write? (It is my being forever)

I write because of "Print Gratification." It is like an essence of fellowship with something that will be infinite upon my departure from this known. I feel as if I contributed and it will not disappear. "Heavenatitsbest.com" is an example of why I write.
CRuck
Frequent Contributor
paula_02912
0 Kudos

Susan wrote: "So why do you write? Do you write with the goal of eventually getting published? Why or why not?"

I write because if I don't I won't have affirmations of feelings that I hide deep, deep inside...I write poetry and it took a long time for me to actually put it out there for the world to see...my writing journey is one for primarily emotional and psychology release...it wasn't until recently published for public consumption...getting published was never the ultimate goal...I think that depending on the reaction of people to my first published work, that might become a goal for me in the future...
Peace and love,
Paula R.

"Adversity causes some people to break, but causes others to break records."

Author Unknown
Frequent Contributor
Chalie_B
0 Kudos

Don't write, and people you love will die.
Contributor
Darcy_Andries
0 Kudos

learningthetrade wrote:
I write because I must.

That was going to be my answer too!

If I was the last person on Earth, I would still write. I write because that's the way I was programmed.

Darcy Andries
Frequent Contributor
Irishbookish
0 Kudos

Somebody asked me one day, why I like to run about the place.
And I answered, 'Because one day I won't be able to. I run because I can.'

I write because I can.

"As Time Doth Pass, Remember..."
www.traceybookish.wordpress.com
Author of Rhuddlan