Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Frequent Contributor
Susan_Driscoll
Posts: 40
Registered: ‎03-09-2007
0 Kudos

Why Do You Write?

All writers at one time or another -- even those whose names you know and whose work has been studied in countless classrooms and book groups over the years -- have asked themselves, "Why write?"

The initial answer to this question is unique to each writer. For some, the very act of writing is satisfying and therapeutic, as it is for poets who write purely for the joy of it as inspiration strikes and for diarists who journal their most intimate thoughts for no one's eyes but their own.

Ultimately, though, many writers yearn to be read by others and to gain recognition, and money, for their hard work. If you don't believe it, get a group of serious writers together and listen to what they have to say. They may start by discussing technique and execution, such as how to maintain the point of view, develop a plot, or use a semicolon. Before long, however, the conversation inevitably shifts. Someone drops a tidbit such as "I queried three agents last week," and the others immediately want to know who the agents were and how the writer went about making his query. Eventually, everyone in the room begins dreaming and can't wait to get their words into print.

So why do you write? Do you write with the goal of eventually getting published? Why or why not?

Reply to this message to join the conversation.

Susan Driscoll
President & CEO
iUniverse
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
Posts: 968
Registered: ‎09-24-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Why Do You Write?

because i can.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Why Do You Write?



Jessica wrote:
because i can.


Because you can? :smileyhappy: Jessica? I feel like I've just walked into a house, and someone forgot to tell me the party is next week. Is this called being 'fashionably early'? I'm feeling a bit conspicuous at the moment.....

.....and it looks like I write because I have a captive audience...I'm being held captive by myself! I say to myself, self? What do you say for yourself? I say, I have a voice - I have a mind - I have insight - I have imagination - I have creativity which oozes....I'm a compulsive artist....and best of all, I have ten fingers which seem to find their way to a keyboard...or pen, to translate all of this into the written word. I do it all in silence, because my head is noisy enough!
And yes, because I also can! :smileywink:
Kathy S.
New User
JessQ
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎05-31-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Why Do You Write?

I write primarily for my own amusement. The pleasure I get from written word that is at the same time witty, descriptive, true, and original is truly beyond measurement. I love that words can ring so true, be so funny as to make you snort out loud, or insult to the bone with the broadest of smiles.
I love to read good writing, so I try to write what I would like to read.
Does it always work? Well, not lately. But if I can write a couple of sentances that don't make me go, "UUUGGGHHH, how lame", then I suppose that's pretty good. On a rare, perfect occasion I may write a short story that makes me laugh out loud upon re-reading. Or amuses me so much I am compelled to share the piece with family and friends who are similarly tickled. That is the reason I continue to write.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Why Do You Write?



JessQ wrote:
I write primarily for my own amusement. The pleasure I get from written word that is at the same time witty, descriptive, true, and original is truly beyond measurement. I love that words can ring so true, be so funny as to make you snort out loud, or insult to the bone with the broadest of smiles.
I love to read good writing, so I try to write what I would like to read.
Does it always work? Well, not lately. But if I can write a couple of sentances that don't make me go, "UUUGGGHHH, how lame", then I suppose that's pretty good. On a rare, perfect occasion I may write a short story that makes me laugh out loud upon re-reading. Or amuses me so much I am compelled to share the piece with family and friends who are similarly tickled. That is the reason I continue to write.


Ah, Jess! A girl after my own heart! Don'tcha love it when you can amuse yourself, and maybe a few family and friends in the process?! Although, I'm starting to feel as if "Lame" might be the title of my next story! Or "How Many Ways Can You Make People Groan?" (besides feeding them bad tuna)

Kathy S.
Melissa_W
Posts: 4,124
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Why Do You Write?

I write for myself alone. And it has to be when the fancy strikes otherwise writer's block sets in. Someday I might have enough to publish, if I wish, or maybe not.
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
Posts: 2,628
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Why Do You Write?

I wrrite some poetry when I have strong feelings about something. I especially write when I want to express feelings for someone and I am having a hard time saying the words out loud. I wrote some poems after my youngest sister died of complications due to her having lukemia. My family are the only ones that have seen my poems.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
Frequent Contributor
Cafesin
Posts: 77
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Why Do You Write?

I think I got hijacked...or lifted, or plagerized?

It's quite a compliment really, but weird. When I posed the question in my post last week under Community in the form of an essay I was hoping to simulate conversation about it. But I guess it takes an admin to get peoples attention.

I'm glad you did. It is an interesting question isn't it.

J. Cafesin
www.jcafesin.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Why Do You Write?

[ Edited ]

Cafesin wrote:
I think I got hijacked...or lifted, or plagerized?

It's quite a compliment really, but weird. When I posed the question in my post last week under Community in the form of an essay I was hoping to simulate conversation about it. But I guess it takes an admin to get peoples attention.

I'm glad you did. It is an interesting question isn't it.

J. Cafesin
www.jcafesin.com

J.,
If you're around these boards for any length of time, whether you're on a book discussion, or these independent boards, you'll find that these types of questions have a common thread, and come up often. This particular question, "Why Do You (I) Write?" is asked of almost every single author on these discussion boards. The second question is, "Why do 'we' read?" This particular one, I specifically asked in The Thirteenth Tale. But it's continually discussed, over and over again.

Most of us question ourselves, but how many of us verbalize the answer? I've been on B&N discussion groups for several years, and *there is nothing new under the sun* - is there?:smileyhappy:

Kathy S

Message Edited by KathyS on 06-01-200708:57 AM

Frequent Contributor
crAZRick
Posts: 489
Registered: ‎01-27-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Why Do You Write?

I write to build a world,
of new people and fresh places
I write to show this world
special things in special faces

I write to free my mind
of all my Muse's useful clutter
I write because I have to
for one reason or a'nutter

I write to pass the time
in some place else but here
I write sometimes in rhyme
to show I have no fear

I write because my heart
sometimes overflows with song
I write because I'm right to write
Or do you think I'm wrong?

I write to paint a picture
A picture made with words
I write to make the lining for
The droppings of caged-birds?

I write because it's challenging
but it's quite fun for me
I write because of who I am
and who I wish to be

I write because it's in my heart,
it fills my mind and soul
I write because I WANT TO
no fame-and-fortune as my goal

I write to tell my stories
So many stories to tell
I share my visions freely,
I do not write-to-sell

I write like it's my passion,
a true, honest, faithful Love
I write because it suits me,
Fits just like a glove

I write for me, myself,
only share it with a few
You now know why I write,
I wonder: Why Do You?
I no longer regret that I have no quote, quip or anecdote to share with my countrymen... how about all y'all?
Contributor
SundayArtist
Posts: 6
Registered: ‎06-01-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Why Do You Write?

ok, I'm posting crAZRick's poem in my studio!

I write because it helps me clear my mind, communicate with friends and family, and sometimes just to amuse myself.
New User
TruthSeeker
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎06-01-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Why Do You Write?

I write for so many reasons. I wish I could count them all,
I write because I love to.
I write because I want to remember the funniest things that my friends said before I forget.
I write because I want a make a difference.
I write because I want other people think 'what if...'
I write because I want to change the world.
I write because it's a way for me to clearly express my thoughts.
I write because I can spell things better than I can pronounce them.
I write because I want to be recognised...
I write because I write.
JAR
Contributor
JAR
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎02-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Why Do You Write?

I write because I need to write, because I like to write. In my job, as a museum guide in a small city, I tell stories of the area, the houses, the people. Sounds a bit strange, one of our museums is a church in the middle of a 300 acre cemetery. I show the church and take tours around the cemetery telling of the people, their time period and their lives and families. Since I wander through time in my tours, why not in my writings.
NEM
Contributor
NEM
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎03-01-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Why Do You Write?

I write to try to share what I think are interesting stories with the world, primarily about my amazing father-in-law. He was Patton's personal forward observer in WWII and literally a genius involved after the war in many, many innovations we take for granted today. His story is a combination John Wayne, Audie Murphy, Horatio Alger, Gandhi, and Mr. Wizard; a lost boy, coming of age, WWII action adventure, love story, NASA and spy story (and lots of other stuff) all of which happened to a one happy go lucky, unassuming person. I write to try to get his story published while he is still alive.

I write to try to inspire others to examine their own stories and their own family legacies. I write to keep history accurate and illuminate the human side of history, not just the dates and "big picture.”

I write in the hope of perhaps one day making a little money from this project. This however seems to be perhaps the most delusional reason.

--- NEM
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Why Do You Write?

Nancy,
It sounds like your father-in-law has some very interesting stories waiting to be told to everyone. I'd love to read them, myself! :smileyhappy: I wish you well in getting it all put together, and published. Just curious, are you writing it in his voice, or yours?

Kathy S.
Frequent Contributor
prince_alfie
Posts: 43
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Why Do You Write?

I write to fulfill a moral, existential, and political agenda. For me, it's about subversive postmodern undermining of the text. After all, my goal is to resurrect during the era of the death of the novel.
Frequent Contributor
Susan_Driscoll
Posts: 40
Registered: ‎03-09-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Why Do You Write?


Cafesin wrote:
I think I got hijacked...or lifted, or plagerized?

It's quite a compliment really, but weird. When I posed the question in my post last week under Community in the form of an essay I was hoping to simulate conversation about it. But I guess it takes an admin to get peoples attention.

I'm glad you did. It is an interesting question isn't it.

J. Cafesin
www.jcafesin.com




Cafesin,

I didn't mean to hijack your question; rather, I'm delighted to provide an additional platform to foster an ongoing dialog. Hope you'll continue to join in.
Susan Driscoll
President & CEO
iUniverse
New User
LadyHawk14
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎01-29-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Why Do You Write?

Originally, I wrote to find my voice as a young girl. That led to a dream of publishing my poetry. But my motivation for publishing the book of poetry was for my daughter to one day read and see a side of her mom that she might not have known otherwise. The story I'm working on now is being written for my daughter, an allegorical story to guide her when she is older. I guess now I write for my daughter and the hope of having a positive impact on her future.

Lady Hawk
NEM
Contributor
NEM
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎03-01-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Why Do You Write?

The originals of the stories, he wrote himself - but most are in passive voice. I am struggling whether to keep in the first person or not as I go thru the stories trying to make the parts a whole. I am currently starting an experiment where I take his story as the basis of kids adventure (think Magic Tree House genre) where my son relives his Grandfathers adventures.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Why Do You Write?



NEM wrote:
The originals of the stories, he wrote himself - but most are in passive voice. I am struggling whether to keep in the first person or not as I go thru the stories trying to make the parts a whole. I am currently starting an experiment where I take his story as the basis of kids adventure (think Magic Tree House genre) where my son relives his Grandfathers adventures.


Reliving the adventure, that sounds like a great idea, in your sons voice. What about switching back and forth, as they are talking and reliving this adventure together. Although, as being told either to a child, or by a child, the word usage may have to change to fit the childs ear. But what if, while his grandfather slips into, say, a reminiscing in his head...he could be telling us his story in an adult first person voice....? Showing both sides and perspectives on what these possibly serious topics can mean to everyone. This may appeal to both young and old audiences. I'm sorry if I thoroughly confused you! :smileyhappy:

Kathy S.