Frequent Contributor
Susan_Driscoll
0 Kudos

Why Publish? A Straw Poll

When this club was getting started I asked the question "Why do you write?" The answers are fascinating and I encourage new members to add their own posts. Now, though, I want to turn the tables to the main topic of this particular club and ask the question "Why do you want to get published?" I've worked with thousands of authors, and in my experience, most of the answers fall into three categories:

1. I want to make a difference in people's lives
2. I want the joy of seeing my book in print (or I want to experience the fun of it)
3. I want to make money

(There is a fourth: "I want to be famous", but I'm going to exclude that one for purposes of this straw poll because, secretly or not, most authors aspire to fame.)

So, if you had to pick just ONE of these answers, which would it be? Be honest with yourself and with us, because the answer will help you to choose the publishing option that's right for you.

Let us hear from you!
Susan Driscoll
President & CEO
iUniverse
Frequent Contributor
crAZRick
0 Kudos

Re: Why Publish? A Straw Poll

2. I want the joy of seeing my book in print (or I want to experience the fun of it)
3. I want to make money

I'd say #2 suits me.
In order, I'd rank these choices: 2, 3, 1, 4. Just to see my name printed below a title on a bookstore shelf would be sweet! even if nobody bought the thing! then, of course, it would be nice to gather a following of rabid fans, who wolf deown any morsel I throw at them and make me uber-rich, then it would be nice to get those '... I was this close to throwing my life away, then I read your book...' type letters, really make some sort of impact on my fan-base, then, achieve some level of fame.
I no longer regret that I have no quote, quip or anecdote to share with my countrymen... how about all y'all?
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

I have a long time before I can even think about being published, but I'm going to answer this question anyway because I would like to be published at some point in my life. I guess number one would be closest to my motive for wanting to be published. I have read so many books that have affected me, either through content or gorgeous literary style or both, and if one person could feel by reading my writing what I have felt when reading so many other people's writing, I would be happy. I would like the joy of seeing my book in print as well. I agree with Rick about seeing my name on the cover of a book. That would be cool. Money would be nice, but few authors can make money by writing alone. If you want to be rich, writing probably isn't the best career in the world. But combined with another job, extra money is always a good thing. (And you're right about the fame thing. I think authors want desperately to be recognized as having written something with literary merit, whether they'll admit it or not.)
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
klavim
0 Kudos

#3.
I really want writing to be my livelihood, not just a hobby.
Having my name on a published book is not my ultimate goal. I want people to buy my book because they like it. Hence, quality is paramount.
Oh, and marketing and good word of mouth too.
Contributor
JC_Coy
0 Kudos

#2 Is close enough. I want to be published to validate that my skills are good enough and to entertain people with the stories I cook up.
Correspondent
Clippership14
0 Kudos

This question is a toughy.
Like some of the others, I think a good round mix of the options sums up my ambitions. I want to see the fruits of my years of labor amount to something that may also inspire other people. The satisfaction of seeing a book published is sweet to the soul -- even if I don't want to use my own name. Making money is a great incentive; I would also like to make a career out of writing, if on the side of everything else I do. The famous part I could do without so much, unless it promoted the book rather than myself. I value my privacy and I hate suck-ups who wouldn't pay attention to you unless you were famous. Having a famous book or range of books would be infinitely better since it means people like how and what you write.
Contributor
PBuermele
0 Kudos

Number 1 is closest for me, although I would modify it slightly to say that I want to entertain people with my writing more than wanting to make a difference in their lives.

As for #2, yes, it is very cool to see your name on the cover of your book and I will freely admit that is one of the special perks, especially when your cover artist so thoughtfully writes it in the sand as part of the design.

And, yes, I do want to make money at it, at least enough to cover the cost of giving birth to an idea and raising it to print and then marketing it forever after. But I also think that having an earn-my-keep job fuels a lot of inspiration for my writing and I consider my day job one of my best resources for tapping character development and adding the fingerprints of real life to my writing.

Now, fame would be really special...
Paula Buermele
www.thedreamcatchertour.com
New User
arobins
0 Kudos

3. I want to make money

Of the above choices, I think #2 best describes me. I wanted the fun of seeing my little stories that I had written over the years come to life. I have four stories where I used my grandkids names. We call them their books. They can relate to the stories in one way or another, and they love having their own book with the lead character having their name. So this has been fun for everyone.

By the way, I am grooming my eight year old granddaughter, Sarah, to some day take my place as April Robins, Diva of Storytelling.