Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Chapter 17 - Breaking news

Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but right about now I feel like the proverbial cow being led around by my nose ring! No, I'm not a cow, and I don't have a nose ring, but Halan has pulled me in so many directions, and has had me questioning every direction - I don't know which way I'm going to be led next! I've never read a story I couldn't at least get a handle on, but this one is throwing my mind first in neutral, then in reverse, then in park, and now back in drive! I'm feeling pretty stupid!

Now I'm finding out that Sylvia is the incest victim, not the one who wrote the journal about Paul and Lucy! What next?! Did Lonnie get it wrong, or did he deliberately mislead Lucy into thinking Sylvia was the one....Now I'm wondering if it was Lonnie that submitted the journal about Lucy! I don't think there is NOT one person who isn't under my suspicion!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Chapter 17 - Breaking news

KathyS wrote:
Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but right about now I feel like the proverbial cow being led around by my nose ring! What next?! Did Lonnie get it wrong, or did he deliberately mislead Lucy into thinking Sylvia was the one....Now I'm wondering if it was Lonnie that submitted the journal about Lucy! I don't think there is NOT one person who isn't under my suspicion!

LOL, you mean it wasnt colonel Mustard, in the dining room with the candlestick??!! hehe, dont ya love good twists and turns. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
KathyS
0 Kudos

I'm getting a bloody nose from running into the dining room walls in the dark! Somebody forgot to light the blink'n candles for me! I would have better luck with a book written in braille! :-)

vivico1 wrote:

KathyS wrote:
Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but right about now I feel like the proverbial cow being led around by my nose ring! What next?! Did Lonnie get it wrong, or did he deliberately mislead Lucy into thinking Sylvia was the one....Now I'm wondering if it was Lonnie that submitted the journal about Lucy! I don't think there is NOT one person who isn't under my suspicion!

LOL, you mean it wasnt colonel Mustard, in the dining room with the candlestick??!! hehe, dont ya love good twists and turns. :smileywink:

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:
I'm getting a bloody nose from running into the dining room walls in the dark! Somebody forgot to light the blink'n candles for me! I would have better luck with a book written in braille! :-)

Oh come on, the clues are there, just keep down the track lol. But what I like about it too is, you dont know the end by the 2nd chapter, thats cool.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Kathy,

This is one of the reasons I really enjoyed this novel- there were so many surprises, not just one big OH! at the end. I think this mirrors life, don't you? There are always startling new things occurring, and we're never quite prepared for them.

Sylvia's behavior surely makes sense, but it does lead our minds in the wrong direction.

The journal exercise itself struck me as an excellent author's device - a great way for us to learn about the events, and for Lucy to revisit her past.

KathyS wrote:
Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but right about now I feel like the proverbial cow being led around by my nose ring! No, I'm not a cow, and I don't have a nose ring, but Halan has pulled me in so many directions, and has had me questioning every direction - I don't know which way I'm going to be led next! I've never read a story I couldn't at least get a handle on, but this one is throwing my mind first in neutral, then in reverse, then in park, and now back in drive! I'm feeling pretty stupid!

Now I'm finding out that Sylvia is the incest victim, not the one who wrote the journal about Paul and Lucy! What next?! Did Lonnie get it wrong, or did he deliberately mislead Lucy into thinking Sylvia was the one....Now I'm wondering if it was Lonnie that submitted the journal about Lucy! I don't think there is NOT one person who isn't under my suspicion!

Message Edited by Stephanie on 05-08-200707:28 PM

Stephanie
KathyS
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Kathy,

This is one of the reasons I really enjoyed this novel- there were so many surprises, not just one big OH! at the end. I think this mirrors life, don't you? There are always startling new things occurring, and we're never quite prepared for them.

Sylvia's behavior surely makes sense, but it does lead our minds in the wrong direction.

The journal exercise itself struck me as an excellent author's device - a great way for us to learn about the events, and for Lucy to revisit her past.

It absolutely mirrors life! Always something new and different to spin your head around and thrust it up against that mirrored wall! I hadn't thought of the journal as a writer's devise, it's beautiful! But I was so wrapped up, into the story, to think of devices....all of the characters are bordering on devisive! Excuse the pun, but you're right on with that one!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Yes, Kathy, this is abit of a puzzle about this journal! Wow! I can't figure it out yet. Back to the book!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Kathy, sometimes you have to light those blame things yourself, deary!
Author
HarlanCoben
0 Kudos

Put simply, I like to twist.

Snicker.

Harlan
KathyS
0 Kudos

No kidding! Chubby Checker has nothing on you!

HarlanCoben wrote:
Put simply, I like to twist.

Snicker.

Harlan

B&N Bookseller
charlottesweb93
0 Kudos

I was pretty dern proud of myself to discover that I had guessed correctly on who sent the emails. But I could not figure out why.

I was also pretty dern proud of myself to figure something out later in the book. (I don't want to spoil it for anyone). What I couldn't figure out was who had put "them" there & why.

Harlan Coben sure knows how to keep us turning the page.
Charlotte
KathyS
0 Kudos

charlottesweb93 wrote:
I was pretty dern proud of myself to discover that I had guessed correctly on who sent the emails. But I could not figure out why.

I was also pretty dern proud of myself to figure something out later in the book. (I don't want to spoil it for anyone). What I couldn't figure out was who had put "them" there & why.

Well, Charlotte, if you're proud of yourself, then I'm proud of you too! ;-) But I'll be "derned" if I can figure out some of these twists. I think Harlan creates all of these characters with so many variable "characterists", just to muddle my thinking and reasoning skills! I'm not used to so many plot twists. It's not that I don't like them, I DO! It's just a little daunting for my pea-brain.

And, Linda, as far as lighting the candles myself, to help me see in these dark rooms.....I would, if I could find the blasted matches! I think Charlotte stole them!:-)
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

charlottesweb93 wrote:

Good for you! I sure was surprised after each chapter. I really dig this book! LOL I think the last 2 or 3 chapters that I read, I read them with my mouth open, and making all kinds of surprising/gasping noises. Thank goodness I read it myself! Awesome, awesome. I need to pick up another of Coben's books. Any one suggest which one I should read next? :smileywink: LMK :smileywink:
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:

charlottesweb93 wrote:

Good for you! I sure was surprised after each chapter. I really dig this book! LOL I think the last 2 or 3 chapters that I read, I read them with my mouth open, and making all kinds of surprising/gasping noises. Thank goodness I read it myself! Awesome, awesome. I need to pick up another of Coben's books. Any one suggest which one I should read next? :smileywink: LMK :smileywink:

I have a bone to pick with some of the end of the book, now that I am finished but I will wait till later to talk about that part of the book and put it on a different thread lol. Some of you who read it may have the same bone lol, but shhhh not yet :smileywink: hehe
Vivian
KathyS
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

cindersue wrote:

charlottesweb93 wrote:

I have a bone to pick with some of the end of the book, now that I am finished but I will wait till later to talk about that part of the book and put it on a different thread lol. Some of you who read it may have the same bone lol, but shhhh not yet :smileywink: hehe

No more hints!!!! LOL...I'm still on chapter 21!
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

No more hints!!!! LOL...I'm still on chapter 21!

Hurry up LOL ... I want to hear what everyone thinks! :smileywink: JK
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:

Which ever one you can get your hands on fastest. They are all so good! :smileyhappy:
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

I'm finished too and I'm anxious to hear about the bone you have to pick! :smileywink:
Users Online
Currently online:48 members 455 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: