Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

END OF BOOK FOR REAL NOW/ One More Day?

[ Edited ]
Hey guys, since we only have a couple of days left and Harlan is gone, I wanted to just put this post here for anyone who had any last thoughts about the book, or even some last chats about anything really. Couldnt hurt at this point. I did enjoy Harlan's book very much and am tempted to get more of them. Even read a little of several on my last trip to Barnes and Noble. I think tho with some of the other clubs coming up, I kinda want to wait and see if they will do another one of his books soon, anyone hoping for that too? I am off to The God of Animals for June. It would be cool to hear what any of you may be doing next.

Also, I saw on the Doctor Phil show today (and no i dont watch him all the time but I hve recently and liked it) and he talked about a book that sounds like would be a great book for a one month bookclub. He highly recommended it. Its by Mitch Albon, the guy who wrote, The Five People You Meet In Heaven. Did any of you read that great book or see the emmy winning movie they made out of it for tv?? It was really great! Not really a religious book if you havent, so dont get scared off by that idea if religion is not your thing, but it is about spiritual things and relationships and how we handle tragedies in our lives. I thought to post this here because we certainly got to read about how tragedies can affect our lives in this book. ANYWAY lol, this book he has out now (came out in Sept of last year I think) is called, One More Day. Has anyone read it? The writer said that so many times when a loved one dies, he hears people say, if only i had one more day with them. And that often its about a parents death. So he wrote this novel about a man whose life hasnt been what it could have been and his mother is dead and he wishes he would have had one more day with her. He goes back to his old home town and old house which should be emptied and abandoned and opens the door and there is his mother! And thus begins one last day with her. The people in the audience that have read it were very moved by it, some to tears. One woman said, I wished I would have read this before my mother died. Dr Phil said, its amazing, when he opens that door and walks in, its like it was me opening that door, it really gets you into the story personally. Sounds like a wonderful book, and not a long one either. I think it would make a great bookclub selection. Anyone who has read this or is interested, how about putting your thoughts here. I guess I need to ask an Editor about it? On the helps topic, where it says suggest a book, that seems a bit cluttered and some stuff there were just general questions. Any help anyone?

Anyway, any last thoughts, next book journeys, or thoughts on the above book would be great for those of us still here :smileyhappy: Its been great chatting with you all, hope to see more of you and hear more from you. Vivian

Message Edited by vivico1 on 05-30-200704:19 PM

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Re: END OF BOOK FOR REAL NOW/ One More Day?

Viv,
I read One More Day when it first came out and really liked it. I've liked his other books too. They are all short, interesting and inspirational books. The stories are about other people but they really make you think about what you would do in that situation. In One More Day the main character wants to end his life but he gets one more day with his mom who has already died. He had always felt guilty because he never appreciated his mother enough and now he gets another chance to do so. I would definitely do the book club if one came about.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: END OF BOOK FOR REAL NOW/ One More Day?

Wrighty wrote:
Viv,
I read One More Day when it first came out and really liked it. I've liked his other books too. They are all short, interesting and inspirational books. The stories are about other people but they really make you think about what you would do in that situation. In One More Day the main character wants to end his life but he gets one more day with his mom who has already died. He had always felt guilty because he never appreciated his mother enough and now he gets another chance to do so. I would definitely do the book club if one came about.

Yeah, I got the impression it was a short book, but would make it a good one month discussion one then, everyone could read at leisure, especially during the summer. They sure seemed moved by it on tv. I loved the 5 People You Meet In Heaven, when it was a movie and so i really wanted the book and my very bestest friend got it for me for christmas :smileywink:. Don't ya just love bestest friends!
Oh, hey, where would I actually ask about doing it, rather than just suggestions to other readers, do you know who i contact on here? Like I said, the book suggestion thread on the help page seemed like lots of general questions and very clogged.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 12 members 201 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: