Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Paul and his mother

I believe Paul is already trying to sort out some of his feelings, even now I see this. I believe his actions begain at the grave of his wife.

He's a strong character, but that strength has only been from his ability and power at reasoning. He's a what-if kind of personality. You see this when he compartmentalizes his situations/feelings. And he wants results. He's curious now - and if or when he is able to see his mother again, I see anger will be there, as well as hurt, he'll then ask why to either justify it, or prove those feelings right or wrong.
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Paul's Voice to Jane - Page 140

I think it would be a whole combination of emotions. Pain and anger at being left behind. Hurt that this mother had not tried to contact him in all these years. Confusion as to why she did what she did. But I do think that Paul wants to forgive his mother and will, once they talk and she explains.

kiakar wrote:

But I wonder what will it be like between Paul and his mother if they do meet? Will it be anger, pain and forgiveness from Paul to his Mom. Or will the Mom feel justified in having left him because of the tragedy. I like just wondering before I read the rest what will the end be like. Pondering is fun sometimes!

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Paul's Voice to Jane - Page 140

Linda,

I also like to set the book down, take a break and work out in my mind how events might come to pass. While reading The Woods one of the main questions in my mind regarded Paul's possible reunion with his mother and what she could possibly say to justify not having contacted him in all those years.

kiakar wrote
But I wonder what will it be like between Paul and his mother if they do meet? Will it be anger, pain and forgiveness from Paul to his Mom. Or will the Mom feel justified in having left him because of the tragedy. I like just wondering before I read the rest what will the end be like. Pondering is fun sometimes!

Stephanie
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Paul's Voice to Jane - Page 140

Stephanie wrote:
Linda,

I also like to set the book down, take a break and work out in my mind how events might come to pass. While reading The Woods one of the main questions in my mind regarded Paul's possible reunion with his mother and what she could possibly say to justify not having contacted him in all those years.

kiakar wrote

I know Stephanie, Harlen really made an interesting dilemna out of this part! Can't wait to read and hope the mother thing is revealed.
Frequent Contributor
Andeka
0 Kudos

Music References

I also liked the music references throughout the book; that also gave some insight into who Paul is and what he's like. Obviously he's a cool guy... he likes the same stuff I do :smileywink:

and who doesn't get wet eyes from listening to "Round Here" ??? {Counting Crows} fortunately, "Mr Jones" is not too far away on that same CD and you can't help but smile and dance around to that!! after all.... "we all want to be BIG big stars..."
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Music References

Andeka wrote:
I also liked the music references throughout the book; that also gave some insight into who Paul is and what he's like. Obviously he's a cool guy... he likes the same stuff I do :smileywink:

and who doesn't get wet eyes from listening to "Round Here" ??? {Counting Crows} fortunately, "Mr Jones" is not too far away on that same CD and you can't help but smile and dance around to that!! after all.... "we all want to be BIG big stars..."

Andeka,

I think we reacted very much the same way. That's the stuff I catch on my rereads. I often had to go back over sections of the book before I could read on because I was buzzing through for information only- I was in that "gotta find out" speed-read mode. :smileyvery-happy:
Stephanie
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 24 members 535 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: