Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Andeka
0 Kudos

Favorite Quotes from the book (THREAD MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS)

[ Edited ]
As I read this, there are times when I think "I like how he said that" - and usually I roll my eyes at frequent attempts to weave current cultural things/slang in to a story - but Harlan does it very well!!

I especially like that he quotes Da Boss on pg 200 and being a huge Bruce fan, I should know this! but what song is that!?!?! {humming} "wanna change my CLOTHES, my HAIR, my FACE...." oh!! :smileysurprised: I know!!

"even if we're just Daaanc-cing... in... the dark..."

{ok - I feel better now...} :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Stephanie on 05-01-200704:46 PM

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Quotes from the book

Andeka wrote:
As I read this, there are times when I think "I like how he said that" - and usually I roll my eyes at frequent attempts to weave current cultural things/slang in to a story - but Harlan does it very well!!

I especially like that he quotes Da Boss on pg 200 and being a huge Bruce fan, I should know this! but what song is that!?!?! {humming} "wanna change my CLOTHES, my HAIR, my FACE...." oh!! :smileysurprised: I know!!

"even if we're just Daaanc-cing... in... the dark..."

{ok - I feel better now...} :smileyhappy:

I love some of his lines too Andeka. Please be careful tho in discussing anything past chapter 10 as thats all we have posted to talk about yet. (Thats alot considering we just started anyway lol) I have found out the hard way that mentioning one line way over in a novel can completely ruin it for someone else. I did that once, not knowing it but I got the chewing out of a lifetime from one woman who said i ruined the entire book! I really felt bad. I think you said you are new to the bookclubs? If so, dont let it worry you, we just need to be careful and as we go along, if your not sure if something you are talking about is something that everyone is at yet, just be sure to write in the MESSAGE SUBJECT above, POSSIBLE SPOILER and for what part of the book if you remember. :smileywink: Good to see people talking in here tho. And yeah, he just flat cracks me up with the way he talks to people or about things.
p.s. I never would have known that was Da Boss even when I get there lol, probably because I dont know who Da Boss is! LOL :smileyhappy:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Vivian,

The Boss is Bruce Springsteen.
Stephanie
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Quotes from the book (THREAD MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS)

Vivian brought up a good point about spoilers in this section, so I edited Andeka's message header to show that this thread may contain spoilers.

In the past when we've had a favorite quotes section it was open to all sections of the book. I'm certain that no one is going to take an inordinately long time to finish this novel, so I think we can open this thread up, because there are some great quotes throughout the book. Also, there will be people joining the book group later on, and it would be difficult to try to keep track of everyone's pace.
Stephanie
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Vivian,

The Boss is Bruce Springsteen.

I caught that later, I had a duh moment i guess LOL.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

This book is filled with great quotes. Great one liners and convos. The first was Paul calling Flair..barney meets the village people like i said before lol. Let me see if I can find some of the ones I liked as I went along.

Paul, when he is being so overly typical male when he meets Raya Singh "Everything about her made you think about moonlit skies and four poster beds- and that, I guess, shoots down my "rather artistic" reasoning." (for female beauty getting to him like beautiful art) lol. I had to laugh at him all throughout his meeting with her and his reactions to her.

Paul to Camique's money lawyer:
"Shh, I said. Then I cupped my ear with my hand. Listen to the crinkling sound. "To what?" "I think your cologne is peeling my wallpaper. If you listen closely,you can hear it. Shh, listen." hehehe

There are a couple of very poignant lines too that i want to find again, about his daughter about death. And later in the book when we get there, a convo Muse has that she is just in the best form ever!
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Favorite Quotes - Chapter 5, 9, 10

In Chapter 5 when Paul is trying to figure out "Cal and Jim":

It was there, just out of reach. You know that feeling, shen something you know is right around the corner, like the name of the dog on Petticoat Junction or what was the name of the boxer Mr. T played in Rocky III. It was like that. Right out of reach
Who hasn't felt like that at some time or another?

In Chapter 9 when Lucy visits Ira:

He wore the familiar hemp poncho. His gray hair was an every-direction shock. "Let's Live for Today" by The Grass Roots, a classic from 1967, boomed from what her father still called a "hi-fi." Lucy paused as Rob Grill, the lead vocalist, did the big "a, 2, 3, 4" countdown before the group blasted in for another "sha-la-la-la-la, let's live for today." She closed her eyese and mouthed along with the words.
I sang along with Lucy! :smileyvery-happy: I could just see the hippie Ira used to be.

In Chapter 10 when Paul is talking to Uncle Sosh:

"It was the Soviet Union, Pavel. There were no companies. InTourist was run by the governemtn. Everything was run by the government. Do you understand?"
I just wanted to say "Duh"! :smileyhappy:
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Quotes - Chapter 5, 9, 10

LizzieAnn wrote:

It was there, just out of reach. You know that feeling, shen something you know is right around the corner, like the name of the dog on Petticoat Junction or what was the name of the boxer Mr. T played in Rocky III. It was like that. Right out of reach.
___________________________________________________________________________________
\When Paul and Muse are talking about missing something, just out of their reach, I put somewhere on here, I thought I knew for sure what it was. BINGO, I was right, that one was too obvious to me given the....saying the names over and over to each other and the posing. When he figured it out and they both thought it was genius, i was going duhhhh! LOL,always always check those things in murders. I wont saw what here they found , just in case it is still a spoiler at this point for anyone. You're right, we have all had that feeling at one time or the other, but i take checking those things in a murder case these days as a given :smileywink:
Vivian
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
LizzieAnn wrote:

It was there, just out of reach. You know that feeling, shen something you know is right around the corner, like the name of the dog on Petticoat Junction or what was the name of the boxer Mr. T played in Rocky III. It was like that. Right out of reach.
___________________________________________________________________________________
\When Paul and Muse are talking about missing something, just out of their reach, I put somewhere on here, I thought I knew for sure what it was. BINGO, I was right, that one was too obvious to me given the....saying the names over and over to each other and the posing. When he figured it out and they both thought it was genius, i was going duhhhh! LOL,always always check those things in murders. I wont saw what here they found , just in case it is still a spoiler at this point for anyone. You're right, we have all had that feeling at one time or the other, but i take checking those things in a murder case these days as a given :smileywink:

Viv, without giving anything away, are you saying that you figured out the "Cal and Jim" part? If so, did you get it right away? I did see your comment about this on another thread and I wondered if you had guessed right. In the Coben books there are some things you can see coming but then there are some twists that totally blindside you. That's what makes them good. :smileywink:
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Viv, without giving anything away, are you saying that you figured out the "Cal and Jim" part? If so, did you get it right away? I did see your comment about this on another thread and I wondered if you had guessed right. In the Coben books there are some things you can see coming but then there are some twists that totally blindside you. That's what makes them good. :smileywink:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

yeah this was one of those that you can guess right off. I knew just what it was about and where to find it :smileywink:. but there were other twist and turns that i didnt see coming. Hes a good writer and I am sure I will read more of his stuff.
Vivian
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

I love the way that Harlan Coben writes, especially the sarcastic remarks for Paul.

pg 38 Paul describes Greta and Bob's house as a McMansion, ginormous brick edifices across the neighborhood lots. "Everything is a little too brushed, trying to look aged but only looking more faux."

pg 77 "I looked down at my beloved burger. It looked back at me. I hate eating cold food or anything reheated. So I ate it."

pg 78 EJ Jenrette to Paul - "You have a child"..."What would you do to protect her?"
"For one", I said, "I'd never let her go to a party at your son's frat house."

Not a spoiler but from chap 16 pg 152
"She (Cara) had a 'homework' assignment that consisted of finding things that were red in magazines and cutting them out. This would seem like a very easy task, but of course, nothing we found together would work for her. She didn't like the red wagon or model's red dress or even the red fire engine. The problem, I soon realized, was that I was showing enthusiasm for what she'd find. 'That dress is red, sweetie! You're right! I think that would be perfect!'
After about twenty minutes of this, I saw the error of my ways. When she stumbled across a picture of a bottle of a ketchup, I made my voice flat and shrugged my shoulders and said, 'I don't really like ketchup.'
She grabbed the scissors with the safety handles and went to work.
Kids."

Ain't it the truth!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

wrighty wrote:
Not a spoiler but from chap 16 pg 152
"She (Cara) had a 'homework' assignment that consisted of finding things that were red in magazines and cutting them out. This would seem like a very easy task, but of course, nothing we found together would work for her. She didn't like the red wagon or model's red dress or even the red fire engine. The problem, I soon realized, was that I was showing enthusiasm for what she'd find. 'That dress is red, sweetie! You're right! I think that would be perfect!'
After about twenty minutes of this, I saw the error of my ways. When she stumbled across a picture of a bottle of a ketchup, I made my voice flat and shrugged my shoulders and said, 'I don't really like ketchup.'
She grabbed the scissors with the safety handles and went to work.
Kids.
Ain't it the truth!

I love his lines about his interaction with his daughter lol. One is where he talks about how they have a game at night and if you ever say ok to when a child says one more one more, you are stuck there for one more after that, so you dont do it. Then he said, so I said... ok one more. LOL. I cant find it to quote exactly but that was the sum of it and i think again he says, kids! For his toughness in court, hes such a softy really lol.
Vivian
Author
HarlanCoben
0 Kudos

Love this discussion!

H
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Quotes from Chapter 17

There are so many passages in this book that "pack a punch" - where you can just visualize & feel what's happening. One for me is:

Lucy could still see it -- their car, a broken-down Oldsmobile Ciera, kicking up the dirt road, coming to a stop, the four doors opening seemingly at the same time, the family of our stepping out as one. At that moment, when Lucy first saw Paul and their eyes met, it was boom, crack, thunderbolt. And she could see that he felt the same. There are those rare moments in life -- when you feel that jolt and it feels great and it hurts like hell, but you're feeling, really feeling, and suddenly colors seem brighter and sounds have more clarity and foods taste better and you never, not even for a minute, stop thinking about him and you know, just know, that he is feeling exactly the same way about you.
I could see this play out. Their emotions are so real and so strong as to be a living entity. The strength of their emotions is not only played out in this scene, but in the fact that so many years later, remenants of them still exist within both of them. Those feelings are still a part of them, despited the tragedies, traumas, relationships, and every day ordinary living of life.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
Andeka
0 Kudos

"Not today, Paul. Today I go alone..."

dem were powerful words... :smileyhappy:

the first time I read that, the curiousity meter went off the charts. Those little words carried alot of emotions in them - great pain and suffering from dad, yet a display of love and caring for Paul and his well-being, that "I-knew-all-along-you-were-there" -thing; I kept thinking - man, you better explain that one before this story ends.

and when I read them again near the end of the book, all those original emotions of pain and curiousity came flooding right back.

(thanks for not leaving us hanging on that...)
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

I'm one of those people that sometimes takes an inordinately long time to finish a book. ;-) And I usually refrain from opening this thread to read the quotes, until I do finish the novel. The quotes don't always make sense to me otherwise.

Like everyone here, I agree, there were just so many teriffic one liners, phrases, sentences, and paragraphs that where soooo good! Usually, If you're lucky, you'll find maybe a couple of sentences that will jump out at you.

There was one paragraph that I'll quote from what Lucy said. (p.229-230) It, on a personal note for me, more or less gave a summation of her vulnerablity, as she puts it, which catagorizes the vulnerablity I felt from these characters throughout the novel, itself.

"Part of it is", she said, "it feels like I lived two lives. The one before that night, where things were going pretty well, and the one after, where things aren't. And yeah, I know how pathetic that sounds. But sometimes it feels like I was pushed down a hill that night and I've been stumbling down ever since. That sometimes I sort of get my bearings but the hill is so steep that I can never really get balanced again and then I start tumbling again. So perhaps----I don't know----but perhaps if I figured out what really happened that night, if I can make some good out of all that bad, I'll stop tumbling."

I'm going to step back and look at this statement, half way through the story.

I see now, at the ending, why Lucy doesn't say, 'If I can make some sense out of it all'.....she says, "If I can make some good out of all that bad." Lucy, and everyone of these characters, as individuals, appear to understand their part in this whole story, and sense is not the issue, it's whether or not everyone can make their own choices - choosing their part in the story to either look at the good, or choosing to look at the bad, that's the value in choices, everyone has to come to their own conclusions. And it's not an easy task.

I think Harlan has set this story up to show us, and to allow us, to see that there is good and bad in everyone. We all make bad choices, it's a given, but unless the choices are made, we'll never determine the outcome.

Kathy S.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 43 members 752 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: