Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions - writing/font styles

kiakar wrote:

KathyS wrote:
My first impression was of Harlan's writing style - and the publisher's font changes in the first line of the sentence, of each chapter. Interesting and leading -- Taking the first line and elevating it into caps, without changing the size, but shading it into lighter color tones, this is a very effective way of drawing you into the first significant line of thought.

As far as I've read, I see the author can give you as many questions as answers. This intregues me, makes me want to read more, trying to find the answers to questions he raises within his characters. I think this is all part of the inquisitiveness of human nature, to want to know more. Harlan shows this ability to tickle the imagination!

And I thought my eyes had really gone this time! I was already crying because of all the books I wouldn't be able to read! When I saw those grayish lines....So glad we cleared all this up!!!!

This is getting so funny lol. When the author does finally get to come lol,we can say well we really love the book BUT, mainly we have discussed those darn gray lines and that horrible dust cover!!!! lol lol. Hey, we do want to be able to read each line tho and we dont want paper cuts on our little fingers or torn up covers so its all legit lol.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions - writing/font styles

and another thing! lol, I made a seperate thread for talk about the dust cover/jacket of the book, to keep it off these main threads and look at this...we got a bunch of comments here and NOT ONE of them is on THAT thread! lol. Hey, I tried to keep it on its own thread but noooooo lol. Harlan may put his "first impressions" of US on this thread too lol :smileyhappy:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions - Book Jacket/cover!

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Before I started to read this book, I removed its 'jacket' - because I knew it wouldn't hold up to my opening and closing it a bazillion times while reading for a discussion, with Post-its flying and sticking everywhere!.....and I also wasn't afraid of leaving Cheeto stained fingerprints on the slick surface of this cover! I should really qualify my Cheeto fetish, as it relates to books ;-) - I'm honestly not a book abuser, and I do wash my hands on regular intervals while reading, and eating....just the natural oils from your hands alone, can stain a beautifuly bound book cover. This book must have been calling me...."Kathy, eat Cheetos, eat Cheetos....I'm washable!"

LOL, Kathy? Do you know what TMI is? hehehe

You know Vivico, I am the same way, I thought I was the only one! I would rather have a great looking hard cover and not a paper bookcover. It slides all over the place,crumbles, comes off and all the other messy stuff that happens. And this book is nice looking eithout the cover.

Thank you kiakar! thats two now lol, so tell cheeto face kathyS over there about it lol, she thinks its cute and innovative and matches her cheeto colored fingers ROFL. :smileywink:

Kathy S., Oh! hear! me! Wipe your hands before reading! Especially if you are smart and leave the cover off!

Linda, my girl, never fear!
I wash my hands,until water runs clear!
I eat Cheetos now, and love the crunch -
I eat them all, not just for lunch!

I munch and crunch all through the day,
going through wipes, what can I say?!
Never a smudge nor smear on a line,
I'd never do that, to a page so fine.

Harlan's dust cover is orange and bright as the sun,
I love it's design, inovative and fun.
Give me no grief, seeing orange on my face,
the cover it matches, 'snot' a federal case!

I'm only kidding! I don't eat Cheetos when I read!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Before I started to read this book, I removed its 'jacket' - because I knew it wouldn't hold up to my opening and closing it a bazillion times while reading for a discussion, with Post-its flying and sticking everywhere!.....and I also wasn't afraid of leaving Cheeto stained fingerprints on the slick surface of this cover! I should really qualify my Cheeto fetish, as it relates to books ;-) - I'm honestly not a book abuser, and I do wash my hands on regular intervals while reading, and eating....just the natural oils from your hands alone, can stain a beautifuly bound book cover. This book must have been calling me...."Kathy, eat Cheetos, eat Cheetos....I'm washable!"

You know Vivico, I am the same way, I thought I was the only one! I would rather have a great looking hard cover and not a paper bookcover. It slides all over the place,crumbles, comes off and all the other messy stuff that happens. And this book is nice looking eithout the cover.

Thank you kiakar! thats two now lol, so tell cheeto face kathyS over there about it lol, she thinks its cute and innovative and matches her cheeto colored fingers ROFL. :smileywink:

Kathy S., Oh! hear! me! Wipe your hands before reading! Especially if you are smart and leave the cover off!

Yes you do. And does the S on KathyS stand for Suess? lol :smileywink:
Vivian
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Kathy S., You are so funny!!!! We have got to cut this out!!!! We will be pointed to the corner!!!
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions - writing/font styles-and book cover!

Like you Steph, I kept worrying about ripping the book jacket. I'm a little nuts about book jackets - I hate when they rip!!! I loved the idea of the cover, but instead of the bottom being cut out, it would have been better to have cut out something in the middle - like an oval, something like Lisey's Story. Other than that, I loved the cover - I really like it when the cover is not just plain but instead contains a photo or drawing.

The light grey capital lines at the beginning of the chapter didn't bother me at all. I just looked at it as an introduction to the latest chapter.

Stephanie wrote:
Vivian,

I'm with you on the cover- didn't like it. I did keep catching it on things, because I'm the sort that carries my book around with me, all over the house and everywhere else I go. Anywhere I can grab a page!

The gray first line... wow, I'm not very observant! I didn't even notice it! :smileyvery-happy:

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

First Impressions - Book Jacket/cover!

Oh Kathy,

That was great! Just another example of your writing ability!!
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

LizzieAnn wrote:
Like you Steph, I kept worrying about ripping the book jacket. I'm a little nuts about book jackets - I hate when they rip!!! I loved the idea of the cover, but instead of the bottom being cut out, it would have been better to have cut out something in the middle - like an oval, something like Lisey's Story. Other than that, I loved the cover - I really like it when the cover is not just plain but instead contains a photo or drawing.

The light grey capital lines at the beginning of the chapter didn't bother me at all. I just looked at it as an introduction to the latest chapter.

Stephanie wrote:
Vivian,

I'm with you on the cover- didn't like it. I did keep catching it on things, because I'm the sort that carries my book around with me, all over the house and everywhere else I go. Anywhere I can grab a page!

The gray first line... wow, I'm not very observant! I didn't even notice it! :smileyvery-happy:

You know, other than making it stand out on the shelves, I don't get the bright orange of the cover either. What would be cool is if it had a full jacket, or as you say, an oval in the center, but something with a picture on it, something closer to the book without the jacket, the woods. Like a foggy woods , forboding, mysterious. But why the bright orange? Other than to help those who eat cheetos when they read. (Ok kathy, had to say that cause you're right, its that color lol :smileywink: ).
Vivian
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Liz,

I went back after this discussion and looked at that first gray line... guess the old eyesight isn't that bad yet, it didn't have any effect on me - perhaps it gives the opening a bit of emphasis?
Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Before I started to read this book, I removed its 'jacket' ....
I'm honestly not a book abuser, and I do wash my hands on regular intervals while reading, and eating.... This book must have been calling me...."Kathy, eat Cheetos, eat Cheetos....I'm washable!"

Yes you do. And does the S on KathyS stand for Suess? lol :smileywink:

What gray lines? hehehehe. Makes you think and go back ... I like it. :smileywink:
The cover? It's awesome, but it does catch things. Probably cheetos as you munch. But it seems washable, so you're safe there. I read in bed most of the time, so, hmmm, crunch crunch, I won't munch that bunch. hehehe
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:
What gray lines? hehehehe. Makes you think and go back ... I like it.
The cover? It's awesome, but it does catch things. Probably cheetos as you munch. But it seems washable, so you're safe there. I read in bed most of the time, so, hmmm, crunch crunch, I won't munch that bunch. hehehe
___________________________________________________________________________________

lol, what gray lines lol. I wished i could miss the gray lines in my hair as easily as i was missing them on the first page of each chapter! lol
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Maybe. I always just look at is as "creative publishing"! :smileyhappy:

Stephanie wrote:
Liz,

I went back after this discussion and looked at that first gray line... guess the old eyesight isn't that bad yet, it didn't have any effect on me - perhaps it gives the opening a bit of emphasis?

Liz ♥ ♥

Contributor
madstitcher5
0 Kudos

I'm not crazy about the gray line either. His last book,"Promise Me" had the "cut-out" jacket also. My question is what is TMI? I'm new to bookclubs and don't know much computer terminology. Thanks.
MaryAnn
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

madstitcher5 wrote:
I'm not crazy about the gray line either. His last book,"Promise Me" had the "cut-out" jacket also. My question is what is TMI? I'm new to bookclubs and don't know much computer terminology. Thanks.

I don't really have trouble with the gray line ... draws me to the text. Unless I'm trying to read in bed. LOL Need a stronger light bulb. LOL

TMI means too much information. Unless the Okie means something esle, that's what it means in the midwest. :smileywink:
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:

madstitcher5 wrote:

I don't really have trouble with the gray line ... draws me to the text. Unless I'm trying to read in bed. LOL Need a stronger light bulb. LOL

TMI means too much information. Unless the Okie means something esle, that's what it means in the midwest. :smileywink:

LOLOL no the Okie means "too much information" too, in a teasing way and guess what? Oklahoma is considered the midwest too, the plains states or the midwest lol. You and this "it must be a okie thing" LOL. Man that goes back a couple of years :smileywink: Like Okies live in another country, or "midwesterners" do LOL. As for the jacket, the biggest problem with this one is that it is cutout along the spine too and now that I have it back on it, it catches at the spine a lot and I cant put clear shelf paper or book covers on it cause it also has raised letters for Harlan's name, so you get bad air bubbles and it looks bad. I guess this is one book, that the cover is not going to last on, even on the shelf.
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

LOLOL no the Okie means "too much information" too, in a teasing way and guess what? Oklahoma is considered the midwest too, the plains states or the midwest lol. You and this "it must be a okie thing" LOL. Man that goes back a couple of years :smileywink: Like Okies live in another country, or "midwesterners" do LOL. As for the jacket ...
:smileywink:

ROFL ... Oklahoma, in the midwest? JK I guess your right LOL :smileywink: You have the Pan handle, heat and tornadoes, we have the lakes and lakes and lakes. I think you got TMI from me, remember? :smileywink: LOL LOL We're so close to Canada, I forget. :smileywink: Need to get out my geography maps. ROFL
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

madstitcher5 wrote:

MaryAnn, this may help you.
http://www.netlingo.com/
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions

I am beginning to think, my first impression (of these bookclubs)is, not much discussion happens at all. One full week and not much discussion in here about the book anymore, just us chatting, a little,which is fine but do we need a bookclub for that? In the club I tried that started last month and still going, no one but the moderator comes back to discuss the first stuff and i dont see anymore on the last parts now either. This is my third try at novels. We are suppose to have a moderator leading this discussion right? And an author join us? hmmmm
Vivian
Contributor
madstitcher5
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

madstitcher5 wrote:

MaryAnn, this may help you.
http://www.netlingo.com/

Hi Kathy...Thanks so much for the web site. I know I'll feel more in the loop now.
MaryAnn
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:

madstitcher5 wrote:

It just makes it different. I have never saw that before. The grey line that is.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 200 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: