Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions

vivico1 wrote:
I am beginning to think, my first impression (of these bookclubs)is, not much discussion happens at all. One full week and not much discussion in here about the book anymore, just us chatting, a little,which is fine but do we need a bookclub for that? In the club I tried that started last month and still going, no one but the moderator comes back to discuss the first stuff and i dont see anymore on the last parts now either. This is my third try at novels. We are suppose to have a moderator leading this discussion right? And an author join us? hmmmm

It's nice to see more discussion today. These clubs tend to drift off sometimes and that's so disappointing. I've really looked forward to this since I first heard about it. I'm a big fan of the Coben books and can't wait to hear what he has to say. I also have hoped to have more going on here and I'm surprised there aren't more people involved. (Although the people who have been participating have been great fun to chat with and it's so nice that we've had some carry over from last month's book. :smileytongue: ) Maybe there will be more when the author joins us and we can really get into it. Keep us going Stephanie and don't give up on novels yet Viv! :smileyhappy:
Author
HarlanCoben
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions - writing/font styles

Hey, I'm trying this but my computer keeps freezing up and I have no idea where to put my replies so, uh, I'll try here.

I don't select cover or font. If I have a real problem with them, I'm sure my publisher would listen. I didn't think twice about that gray line to start every chapter. I guess I kinda like it. As for the ocver, I am of two minds of this "cut-up" jacket. I like the way it looks -- I'm not thrilled if people find it inconveniet. Either way, I think this will be the last of them. We were going to stop with PROMISE ME, but I think this cover -- THE WOODS -- is very strong. I like it a lot.

Best,
Harlan
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

HarlanCoben wrote:
Hey, I'm trying this but my computer keeps freezing up and I have no idea where to put my replies so, uh, I'll try here.

I don't select cover or font. If I have a real problem with them, I'm sure my publisher would listen. I didn't think twice about that gray line to start every chapter. I guess I kinda like it. As for the ocver, I am of two minds of this "cut-up" jacket. I like the way it looks -- I'm not thrilled if people find it inconveniet. Either way, I think this will be the last of them. We were going to stop with PROMISE ME, but I think this cover -- THE WOODS -- is very strong. I like it a lot.

Best,
Harlan

Harlan, when i saw the book on the club list, I didnt even know it was a cutout one, it doesnt look like it. I think if the bottom (which is on the book itself) was still there but part of the full cover, it would be just as strong a cover because the Woods still seem to be hidden, or hiding something. Take a look at the picture of the book and see if you dont think so. Yes, I guess I am picky but I do love books, and I love hardcovers and trying to keep them nice looking. And by the way, good to see you here!! This is a great book and fun too!
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
madstitcher5
0 Kudos

HarlanCoben wrote:

Best,
Harlan

Hello Harlan...Personally, I don't think a dust jacket is going to really make a bit of difference to your devoted fans. I just could NOT put this book down. It's a good thing I'm retired. I read all night last night and was able to sleep until 3:00 pm today. I finished it and was sorry to see it go. What's next?

I was wondering if your personality is anything like Myron's or Paul's? How do you come up with your intricate plots? Do you get them from the news? The Frat boys sounded a little like the Duke La Cross players. The variety of characters you have make it almost impossible to pick out the guilty ones. KGB and "old hippies?" Now what can they have in common? I love the smart alecky barbs your characters sling at one another. Your novels are a joy to read.
MaryAnn
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

HarlanCoben wrote:

Best,
Harlan

Sometimes CPUs can be a nuisance ... still got your typewriter? :smileywink:

I personally love the cover. If the paper jacket gets annoying, I'll remove it. The front has a protective finish, so I don't worry about ruining it. The gray line makes me read more closely ... a nice lead in to the new chapter.

Was wondering if you have ever been to Skokie? I grew up around there and thought it was interesting that Paul's parents started out there.

I'm almost done with the book ... I hope to finish tonight. It's awesome! :smileywink:
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Hi Harlan,
I like the bright colors you use on your covers. They get your attention right away. I've enjoyed all of your stories and have really been looking forward to discussing this one with you. It's another great book!
~Debbie
New User
ladysheehan
0 Kudos

HarlanCoben wrote: Hey, I'm trying this but my computer keeps freezing up and I have no idea where to put my replies so, uh, I'll try here. I don't select cover or font. If I have a real problem with them, I'm sure my publisher would listen. I didn't think twice about that gray line to start every chapter. I guess I kinda like it. As for the ocver, I am of two minds of this "cut-up" jacket. I like the way it looks -- I'm not thrilled if people find it inconveniet. Either way, I think this will be the last of them. We were going to stop with PROMISE ME, but I think this cover -- THE WOODS -- is very strong. I like it a lot. Best, Harlan
Harlan, I also love the cover. I think it's striking. Ok, it's a teeny nuisance now and then but hey, the contents in the book itself make up for that little flaw. I am enjoying this book immensely, it's the first I have read of your books and can guarantee I will be reading the rest. Thanks! Linda
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 40 members 291 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: