Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

First Impressions

Here's a place where we can share our early impressions of The Woods. No plot spoilers in this thread, please!
Stephanie
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

First Impressions - writing/font styles

My first impression was of Harlan's writing style - and the publisher's font changes in the first line of the sentence, of each chapter. Interesting and leading -- Taking the first line and elevating it into caps, without changing the size, but shading it into lighter color tones, this is a very effective way of drawing you into the first significant line of thought.

As far as I've read, I see the author can give you as many questions as answers. This intregues me, makes me want to read more, trying to find the answers to questions he raises within his characters. I think this is all part of the inquisitiveness of human nature, to want to know more. Harlan shows this ability to tickle the imagination!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions - writing/font styles

KathyS wrote:
My first impression was of Harlan's writing style - and the publisher's font changes in the first line of the sentence, of each chapter. Interesting and leading -- Taking the first line and elevating it into caps, without changing the size, but shading it into lighter color tones, this is a very effective way of drawing you into the first significant line of thought.

As far as I've read, I see the author can give you as many questions as answers. This intregues me, makes me want to read more, trying to find the answers to questions he raises within his characters. I think this is all part of the inquisitiveness of human nature, to want to know more. Harlan shows this ability to tickle the imagination!

You know, actually that grey first line bugs me LOL. Maybe its my eyesight, but I am not drawn to it at all. I have, a couple of times, not read it until the second line and then realised I needed to back up one line and read that. It's distracting to me.

Other first impressions, I love the narrative style of writing, it puts you inside the story, not outside watching things happen.

Also, the writing does sound like that of a man, versus the narrative of a female writer like the last book i read. I love both, what they bring to their stories in the male/female narrative style. I read Harlan and think, yep i can hear a guy saying this or that. Some books, the flavor of even a narrative do not have a masculine or feminine style and it keeps you outside the characters some, so I really like that quality in getting that feel of the character. He is good at chapter cliffhangers too, to keep you going to the next and the conversations with others so far, are great.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions - writing/font styles-and book cover!

Vivian, I had to laugh. I thought I needed to wash my glasses off! I agree with you about the gray first line, it was hard to read at first. I also went back and read the line again, until I realized this may be the reason it was written and published in this way....to get our attenion to that first thought. I got used to it after the first couple of chapters.

I honestly don't know who makes this choice of intro-----Author, editors, publisher, art stylists...anyone know??? And I loved the book cover, very innovative style of design!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:
Vivian, I had to laugh. I thought I needed to wash my glasses off! I agree with you about the gray first line, it was hard to read at first. I also went back and read the line again, until I realized this may be the reason it was written and published in this way....to get our attenion to that first thought. I got used to it after the first couple of chapters.

I honestly don't know who makes this choice of intro-----Author, editors, publisher, art stylists...anyone know??? And I loved the book cover, very innovative style of design!

LOL, well if you want to catch me with the first line, dont make me hunt for it under a light, make it bolder print or the first letter large, or a different color even, not that faded grey, ewww.
Wait till you tear the cover,or it gets caught on something and see if you like the innovative style then hehe.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
KathyS
0 Kudos

First Impressions - Book Jacket/cover!

vivico1 wrote:

KathyS wrote:

LOL, well if you want to catch me with the first line, dont make me hunt for it under a light, make it bolder print or the first letter large, or a different color even, not that faded grey, ewww.
Wait till you tear the cover,or it gets caught on something and see if you like the innovative style then hehe.

Before I started to read this book, I removed its 'jacket' - because I knew it wouldn't hold up to my opening and closing it a bazillion times while reading for a discussion, with Post-its flying and sticking everywhere!.....and I also wasn't afraid of leaving Cheeto stained fingerprints on the slick surface of this cover! I should really qualify my Cheeto fetish, as it relates to books ;-) - I'm honestly not a book abuser, and I do wash my hands on regular intervals while reading, and eating....just the natural oils from your hands alone, can stain a beautifuly bound book cover. This book must have been calling me...."Kathy, eat Cheetos, eat Cheetos....I'm washable!"
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions - Book Jacket/cover!

KathyS wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Before I started to read this book, I removed its 'jacket' - because I knew it wouldn't hold up to my opening and closing it a bazillion times while reading for a discussion, with Post-its flying and sticking everywhere!.....and I also wasn't afraid of leaving Cheeto stained fingerprints on the slick surface of this cover! I should really qualify my Cheeto fetish, as it relates to books ;-) - I'm honestly not a book abuser, and I do wash my hands on regular intervals while reading, and eating....just the natural oils from your hands alone, can stain a beautifuly bound book cover. This book must have been calling me...."Kathy, eat Cheetos, eat Cheetos....I'm washable!"

LOL, Kathy? Do you know what TMI is? hehehe
Vivian
KathyS
0 Kudos

Yes, and I am so sorry I gave you TMI....I belong to a special group called, BDFCW -have you ever heard of it? There are very few of us who suffer from this rare desease. If you haven't heard of it, it's called Brain Depravation From Cheeto Withdrawls.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

KathyS wrote:

Yes, and I am so sorry I gave you TMI....I belong to a special group called, BDFCW -have you ever heard of it? There are very few of us who suffer from this rare desease. If you haven't heard of it, it's called Brain Depravation From Cheeto Withdrawls.

ahhh, that clears it up, ty lol. I have been trying to get into a support group myself... its for people who cant stop talking, its called Onanonanon. I havent gotten in yet tho, everytime I call, the phone is busy. :smileywink:

p.s. with this silliness, this is a good place to say, the more i read this book, I LOVE Paul's sense of humor and sarcasm. The way he talks about Flair in the first part of the book is too much and a bit later, it just flat has me laughing, the things he says. Good drama with good humor so far.

Message Edited by vivico1 on 04-30-200708:44 PM

Vivian
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Vivian,

I'm with you on the cover- didn't like it. I did keep catching it on things, because I'm the sort that carries my book around with me, all over the house and everywhere else I go. Anywhere I can grab a page!

The gray first line... wow, I'm not very observant! I didn't even notice it! :smileyvery-happy:
Stephanie
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Kathy,

Cheetos, again? I'd hate to tell you how they make those things.

Great to see you here - are you a Coben fan now? :smileyhappy:
Stephanie
KathyS
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Kathy,

Cheetos, again? I'd hate to tell you how they make those things.

Great to see you here - are you a Coben fan now? :smileyhappy:

Yes, don't remind me about how they make them. I said, I'm in withdrawals...the addictive things! I don't buy them, they just show up with the kids!

And most definately yes, I'm a Coben fan now!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Vivian,

I'm with you on the cover- didn't like it. I did keep catching it on things, because I'm the sort that carries my book around with me, all over the house and everywhere else I go. Anywhere I can grab a page!

The gray first line... wow, I'm not very observant! I didn't even notice it! :smileyvery-happy:

AHA!! see there, told you so (kathy hehe) lol. That cover thing is something you notice huh lol. As for the slick actual cover of the book, actually I love books that have the whole cover like that, no paper, everything on the book itself, like this had just part on it. Barring that, give me a full cover pallleseeee cause I have been taking this one off to read but thats such a pain to keep up with then. Steph, if you didnt notice the grey, well um, you been missing the first line of each chapter LOL! :smileywink:
Vivian
KathyS
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Stephanie wrote:
Vivian,

AHA!! see there, told you so (kathy hehe) lol. That cover thing is something you notice huh lol. As for the slick actual cover of the book, actually I love books that have the whole cover like that, no paper, everything on the book itself, like this had just part on it. Barring that, give me a full cover pallleseeee cause I have been taking this one off to read but thats such a pain to keep up with then. Steph, if you didnt notice the grey, well um, you been missing the first line of each chapter LOL! :smileywink:

Viv, if the dust jacket is bothering you so much, I'll give you my address and you can send it to me...I'll hold it for you while you read the book...out of sight, out of mind....I'll send it back to you when you're finished. And I'll even clean it of Cheeto smudges! Am I a good person, or what? :-))
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

You know Vivico, I am the same way, I thought I was the only one! I would rather have a great looking hard cover and not a paper bookcover. It slides all over the place,crumbles, comes off and all the other messy stuff that happens. And this book is nice looking eithout the cover.
KathyS
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Vivian,

T-H-I-S I-S J-U-S-T F-O-R Y-O-U S-T-E-P-H-A-N-I-E. D-I-D Y-O-U R-E-M-E-M-B-E-R T-0 P-U-T O-N Y-O-U-R G-L-A-S-S-E-S?
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Stephanie wrote:
Vivian,

Viv, if the dust jacket is bothering you so much, I'll give you my address and you can send it to me...I'll hold it for you while you read the book...out of sight, out of mind....I'll send it back to you when you're finished. And I'll even clean it of Cheeto smudges! Am I a good person, or what? :-))

LOL, probably the "or what". :smileytongue:
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

You know Vivico, I am the same way, I thought I was the only one! I would rather have a great looking hard cover and not a paper bookcover. It slides all over the place,crumbles, comes off and all the other messy stuff that happens. And this book is nice looking eithout the cover.

Thank you kiakar! thats two now lol, so tell cheeto face kathyS over there about it lol, she thinks its cute and innovative and matches her cheeto colored fingers ROFL. :smileywink:
Vivian
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Thank you kiakar! thats two now lol, so tell cheeto face kathyS over there about it lol, she thinks its cute and innovative and matches her cheeto colored fingers ROFL. :smileywink:

Kathy S., Oh! hear! me! Wipe your hands before reading! Especially if you are smart and leave the cover off!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: First Impressions - writing/font styles

KathyS wrote:

And I thought my eyes had really gone this time! I was already crying because of all the books I wouldn't be able to read! When I saw those grayish lines....So glad we cleared all this up!!!!
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 257 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: