Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

GRETA AND BOB:CHAPTERS 21-26 BUT NOT END OF BOOK

I know people are further along now and some thru, so i wanted to see what your reactions were to Greta and Bob, maybe especially Greta. When Paul first talks about her, I really really like this woman. In chapter 21 when he goes home, Greta is the one who takes care of Cara for him now and I loved this description of her:
"Greta gave me the conquering-hero welcome. She was full of kisses and quick hugs and congratulations. I love Greta. There are some people you know are pure good, who are always on your side. There aren't many of them. But there are some. Greta would jump in the way of a bullet for me. And she made me want to protect her." What a wonderful way to be thought of. What a wonderful person to have in your life.
Then when the kids fathers are digging up dirt, they find out that Bob and Greta have taken a lot of money from JaneCare, Paul's charity in his wife's name. And for all reasons, they got financially messed up buying a pool!!

In chapter 25 Greta comes to Paul, tells him what happened and says they had INTENDED it to be a loan that they didnt have time to put back and asks him to lie for Bob and say it was. Paul says he will help in any way he can but he wont lie for them. She begs and goes on about how it will ruin their lives. She says some pretty nasty things to Paul too when he said, I cant lie for him but i will do what i can do. She really doesnt hold back in the meanness of what she says to him and how they really deserved it anyway. This is the woman that Paul thought would take a bullet for HIM.But also this is the woman he felt he wanted to protect. Did he expect too much to think of her as "pure good" and that made her fall so much harder to take?

So what did you think of Greta when you first hear about her and what do you think when you hear what they have done and then how she talks to Paul about it? What she wants him to do? Do you feel betrayed by who you thought she was? Should Paul take a bullet for her if thats what he loved about her and just say it was a loan and save them? Is his, right is right, wrong is wrong ideas too strict at times? I worry what this could mean at this point about him and Lucy, he and his mom if he gets to meet her, all those that are tied into this. But I really had mixed emotions about Greta and Bob, what a stupid thing to do! It makes it hard for me to feel for them, but at the same time, this is family too and people he loved. There is more later on but what did you feel and think about these characters up to this revelation and her outburst?
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: GRETA AND BOB:CHAPTERS 21-26 BUT NOT END OF BOOK

vivico1 wrote:
I know people are further along now and some thru, so i wanted to see what your reactions were to Greta and Bob, maybe especially Greta. When Paul first talks about her, I really really like this woman. In chapter 21 when he goes home, Greta is the one who takes care of Cara for him now and I loved this description of her:
"Greta gave me the conquering-hero welcome. She was full of kisses and quick hugs and congratulations. I love Greta. There are some people you know are pure good, who are always on your side. There aren't many of them. But there are some. Greta would jump in the way of a bullet for me. And she made me want to protect her." What a wonderful way to be thought of. What a wonderful person to have in your life.
Then when the kids fathers are digging up dirt, they find out that Bob and Greta have taken a lot of money from JaneCare, Paul's charity in his wife's name. And for all reasons, they got financially messed up buying a pool!!

In chapter 25 Greta comes to Paul, tells him what happened and says they had INTENDED it to be a loan that they didnt have time to put back and asks him to lie for Bob and say it was. Paul says he will help in any way he can but he wont lie for them. She begs and goes on about how it will ruin their lives. She says some pretty nasty things to Paul too when he said, I cant lie for him but i will do what i can do. She really doesnt hold back in the meanness of what she says to him and how they really deserved it anyway. This is the woman that Paul thought would take a bullet for HIM.But also this is the woman he felt he wanted to protect. Did he expect too much to think of her as "pure good" and that made her fall so much harder to take?

So what did you think of Greta when you first hear about her and what do you think when you hear what they have done and then how she talks to Paul about it? What she wants him to do? Do you feel betrayed by who you thought she was? Should Paul take a bullet for her if thats what he loved about her and just say it was a loan and save them? Is his, right is right, wrong is wrong ideas too strict at times? I worry what this could mean at this point about him and Lucy, he and his mom if he gets to meet her, all those that are tied into this. But I really had mixed emotions about Greta and Bob, what a stupid thing to do! It makes it hard for me to feel for them, but at the same time, this is family too and people he loved. There is more later on but what did you feel and think about these characters up to this revelation and her outburst?

When I first started the book, I too, fell in love with Greta. She was like an answer to Paul's prayer. Someone to take over the mother part and who better for the role, but his wife's sister. She seemed perfect and then.... the real Greta comes to life or the Greta who is protecting her husband Bob. Is she concerened about herself and what she has as comforts in her life or is she just protecting Bob? To me, she is making all kinds of excuses for Bob but does she believe he really meant no harm or was it something she approved of too. I have stopped at this point, so I really have to finish reading this book. I hope I am not too disappointed!
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

GRETA AND BOB:CHAPTERS 21-26 BUT NOT END OF BOOK

I felt much the same way - she was a wonderful person in the early stages of the book. I liked her less during that confrontation with Paul, but I understood her. She was trying to protect her family - her husband - her home, and was doing whatever she could to do that & survive. What I didn't like is that she's so accepting about Bob's criminal behavior. I also wonder if she didn't really know or at least have an idea of where the money came from.

What's the most difficult thing is that this money was taken for survival or for emergency - but for a pool...for the luxuries of life. Things that weren't necessary, but desired. She tries to rationalize it - saying that this type of thing happens all the time and that Bob would have returned the money as soon as he could and no one would have been the wiser. It was a ticking bomb that they were sitting on, and there was always the chance of discovery.

kiakar wrote:

When I first started the book, I too, fell in love with Greta. She was like an answer to Paul's prayer. Someone to take over the mother part and who better for the role, but his wife's sister. She seemed perfect and then.... the real Greta comes to life or the Greta who is protecting her husband Bob. Is she concerened about herself and what she has as comforts in her life or is she just protecting Bob? To me, she is making all kinds of excuses for Bob but does she believe he really meant no harm or was it something she approved of too. I have stopped at this point, so I really have to finish reading this book. I hope I am not too disappointed!

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

LizzieAnn wrote:
I felt much the same way - she was a wonderful person in the early stages of the book. I liked her less during that confrontation with Paul, but I understood her. She was trying to protect her family - her husband - her home, and was doing whatever she could to do that & survive. What I didn't like is that she's so accepting about Bob's criminal behavior. I also wonder if she didn't really know or at least have an idea of where the money came from.

What's the most difficult thing is that this money was taken for survival or for emergency - but for a pool...for the luxuries of life. Things that weren't necessary, but desired. She tries to rationalize it - saying that this type of thing happens all the time and that Bob would have returned the money as soon as he could and no one would have been the wiser. It was a ticking bomb that they were sitting on, and there was always the chance of discovery.

I liked her at first too. I thought she was wonderful, an "angel" as Paul described her. What a turnaround she made when her husband got into trouble! I also understand that she was trying to protect her family and her home but the rationale behind it was so ridiculous. So what if they had already signed the papers for a pool? If he had to steal to get the pool then he shouldn't have done it. And to steal from a charity, a family members charity, is terrible. Greta claimed it was just borrowing and he deserved a better salary anyway. I hope in their private time at home Greta really gave it to Bob. He deserves the chewing out of a lifetime (and more!)

Her comments to Paul about his guilt over his wife's death were below the belt. She knew he loved his wife and how much her death hurt him. Here she is trying to defend her spouse and at the same time she is insulting Paul's relationship with his spouse. I thought she was so unfair to him. Great writing Harlan! You made me want to smack her.
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

I think she was trying not only to rile him up but to get back at him. Paul himself admits that he wasn't there for his wife at the end - that he couldn't deal with it. Greta was there for her sister, so maybe that's residual anger. I'm not saying it was a right thing to do - but it's probably a human one. She was the one who was there for her sister in the end; while her husband Paul, who professed to love her so much, wasn't. Greta probably didn't really understand or accept that. So when Paul refuses to lie for Bob, I think she's really accusing him of hypocrisy. Paul tells Greta that her husband stole from her sister's charity and that's when she turns on him. She feels that when it came down to it - he wasn't there for her sister & that now he's using that. Her bottled-up feelings erupted.

Wrighty wrote:

Her comments to Paul about his guilt over his wife's death were below the belt. She knew he loved his wife and how much her death hurt him. Here she is trying to defend her spouse and at the same time she is insulting Paul's relationship with his spouse. I thought she was so unfair to him. Great writing Harlan! You made me want to smack her.

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

LizzieAnn wrote:
I think she was trying not only to rile him up but to get back at him. Paul himself admits that he wasn't there for his wife at the end - that he couldn't deal with it. Greta was there for her sister, so maybe that's residual anger. I'm not saying it was a right thing to do - but it's probably a human one. She was the one who was there for her sister in the end; while her husband Paul, who professed to love her so much, wasn't. Greta probably didn't really understand or accept that. So when Paul refuses to lie for Bob, I think she's really accusing him of hypocrisy. Paul tells Greta that her husband stole from her sister's charity and that's when she turns on him. She feels that when it came down to it - he wasn't there for her sister & that now he's using that. Her bottled-up feelings erupted.

Wrighty wrote:

Oh I definitely agree that she has feelings that have been building up. She has been hurt too. Greta seems to be the caretaker in the family and probably doesn't get that care in return. I also wonder if she ever had resentment for Jane and/or Paul. She was described as the plain sister and she had met Paul first but he married her sister. She does seem happy with her life and her family now but it still made me wonder.
New User
ub12c1
0 Kudos

I agree. I think she's a lying, rationalizing b*tch!
Frequent Contributor
Andeka
0 Kudos

Vivico asked:

So what did you think of Greta when you first hear about her and what do you think when you hear what they have done and then how she talks to Paul about it? What she wants him to do? Do you feel betrayed by who you thought she was?

----------------------------------------------------

I don't believe a person is defined by one act alone. Greta is still the nice caring person she was when we met her, but now she finds herself in unfamiliar, scary territory.

Ever witness a scared animal or human trapped in a corner?? a cute, cuddly little kitten who's suddenly scared and trapped somewhere will slowly arch their back, hair starts to stand on end, and the hissing and claws come out. Whatever it takes to defend themselves. We all have that survival instinct too.

Greta's world is shattering around her; her claws are coming out, and she's hissing :smileyhappy: (via words). She's trying to protect herself and her family.

What she and Bob did was wrong and I certainly don't condone their actions. Stealing money from her sister's charity for a lousy pool?!?!? Only two types of people would do that: those who are heartless; and those who are desperate or have self-esteem problems. I almost pity her now; and I am sadly disappointed in her. But I think deep down, she's still the nice, caring person we met early in the book.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

I am reading that some people think Greta knew about the money, some dont. I tend to think she does since they work together and actually she is the one who does more talking and has more action in this book than Bob. You dont hear Bob, just Greta. I think they were both in on it. I think this is the real Greta, the worldly one with worldly things. That doesnt mean she cant also love people, one does not exclude the other but I do think she is more about things than people maybe, her and bob. I also think that yes, she holds a grudge against Paul for not being there at the end for his wife, her sister. But was the grudge out of care for her sister or that she had to be the one to be there at the end and she didnt want to be either, or both? To take from her sister's charity for a pool, without even at least telling Paul, hey we are in over our heads, please float us a loan first, doesn't speak well about her feelings about her dead sister, not in that way. Also, I can not find the line now but its there later when she is still taking care of Cara (this surprised me a bit, but then, she either really loves Cara or knows she has to keep close to Paul in some way if she wants help now). I think she cares for Cara, like i said, these things are not mutually exclusive, Paul goes to pick up Cara and she says something like, I do this for her, as for you, I hate you, something like that. Does anyone remember the line? Where it is? This is one thing I am finding I dont like about novels. As I said, I tend to read nonfiction and don't run into this as much, but the last three novels I have read, have no chapter heading or anything, just a number and it makes it very difficult to go back in a book and find what you want to talk about without knowing something about where you are in the book other than a number. Anyway, if you know the quote I mean, i would love to read that part again and since people are on both sides here with Greta, what makes you decide one way or the other that she knows or not? Something in the book? Or a hope that she doesn't? I am interested to know. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
I am reading that some people think Greta knew about the money, some dont. I tend to think she does since they work together and actually she is the one who does more talking and has more action in this book than Bob. You dont hear Bob, just Greta. I think they were both in on it. I think this is the real Greta, the worldly one with worldly things. That doesnt mean she cant also love people, one does not exclude the other but I do think she is more about things than people maybe, her and bob. I also think that yes, she holds a grudge against Paul for not being there at the end for his wife, her sister. But was the grudge out of care for her sister or that she had to be the one to be there at the end and she didnt want to be either, or both? To take from her sister's charity for a pool, without even at least telling Paul, hey we are in over our heads, please float us a loan first, doesn't speak well about her feelings about her dead sister, not in that way. Also, I can not find the line now but its there later when she is still taking care of Cara (this surprised me a bit, but then, she either really loves Cara or knows she has to keep close to Paul in some way if she wants help now). I think she cares for Cara, like i said, these things are not mutually exclusive, Paul goes to pick up Cara and she says something like, I do this for her, as for you, I hate you, something like that. Does anyone remember the line? Where it is? This is one thing I am finding I dont like about novels. As I said, I tend to read nonfiction and don't run into this as much, but the last three novels I have read, have no chapter heading or anything, just a number and it makes it very difficult to go back in a book and find what you want to talk about without knowing something about where you are in the book other than a number. Anyway, if you know the quote I mean, i would love to read that part again and since people are on both sides here with Greta, what makes you decide one way or the other that she knows or not? Something in the book? Or a hope that she doesn't? I am interested to know. :smileywink:

I had the impression that Greta didn't know because of all of the references in the book. On page 240-243 ch 25 when she is having her discussion with Paul they both make comments about Bob taking the money. At one point he even asks Greta if she knew where the money came from and she said no. (Maybe she didn't want to know?) Bob is also the only one arrested pg 214.

*POSSIBLE SPOILER from chapter 38 pg 358

Viv, I think the part you were looking for is from Paul and Greta's phone conversation after he had his "accident". Paul calls home and Greta answers the phone and tells him she is watching Cara.

"Cara's welfare is very important to me. She is still my niece. She is still the daughter of my sister."
"I understand that"
"You on the other hand, mean nothing to me."
She hung up the phone.

Ouch!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Wrighty wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

I had the impression that Greta didn't know because of all of the references in the book. On page 240-243 ch 25 when she is having her discussion with Paul they both make comments about Bob taking the money. At one point he even asks Greta if she knew where the money came from and she said no. (Maybe she didn't want to know?) Bob is also the only one arrested pg 214.

Viv, I think the part you were looking for is from Paul and Greta's phone conversation after he had his "accident". Paul calls home and Greta answers the phone and tells him she is watching Cara.

"Cara's welfare is very important to me. She is still my niece. She is still the daughter of my sister."
"I understand that"
She hung up the phone.

Ouch!

Why is she so cold toward Paul? Did she really think that Paul should have forgotten about this and excused it. He tried to at the end, but he also had to be responsible or the law would have gone after him. I really think Greta, is alittle on the spoiled side. She expects people to make things right for her and what she wants, she wants. Paul was trying to spoil that for her.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

I thought about what I said about Greta being in on it. She was always the one talking, always the one with more action in the story and you dont hear from Bob. But I thought, ok maybe she didnt know. Maybe she was a caring aunt but had her issues with Paul and always being responsible. Maybe like I said, this was the real her but if she didnt know, then what I started thinking is, since we dont hear Bob in this or taking up for himself to Paul, maybe Bob did get in trouble with the pool thing and rather than deal with GRETA, he took the money to take care of things, till it fell apart. Then she flat flips over it and becomes as overbearing about "fixing it" with Paul, as she was overbearing with Bob. Is that feasible maybe? Does that make sense? (To read even lol). She either knew and is trying to take charge with Paul to fix it because Bob couldnt face him and she feels Paul owes her, or she didnt know but this is the real her and she's trying to save her hubby "and save face" at any cost to Paul and Bob isnt getting involved with that part of it. She could have known and them both say that she didnt and thats why she didnt go to jail. Or she may not have known and so he was the only one jail and shes left behind to take care of the mess, just like when she felt Paul left her behind to take care of her dying sister. Am I too sleepy to be making any sense ? LOL
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
kaikar wrote:
Why is she so cold toward Paul? Did she really think that Paul should have forgotten about this and excused it. He tried to at the end, but he also had to be responsible or the law would have gone after him. I really think Greta, is alittle on the spoiled side. She expects people to make things right for her and what she wants, she wants. Paul was trying to spoil that for her.
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Wrighty, that is the quote I was thinking of, thank you.

Wrighty wrote:

"I understand that"
She hung up the phone.

Ouch!
Vivian
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Why is she so cold toward Paul? Did she really think that Paul should have forgotten about this and excused it. He tried to at the end, but he also had to be responsible or the law would have gone after him. I really think Greta, is a little on the spoiled side. She expects people to make things right for her and what she wants, she wants. Paul was trying to spoil that for her.

Linda,

I thought the same way- Greta seemed very spoiled. I wondered about her part in taking the money - as Vivian said, since she was the one going to Paul about fixing it for Bob, is it possible that Greta was the one who orchestrated the whole thing, and Bob just went along? And then the poor slob took the fall for it, too?

Just pondering...
Stephanie
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

Why is she so cold toward Paul? Did she really think that Paul should have forgotten about this and excused it. He tried to at the end, but he also had to be responsible or the law would have gone after him. I really think Greta, is a little on the spoiled side. She expects people to make things right for her and what she wants, she wants. Paul was trying to spoil that for her.

Linda,

I thought the same way- Greta seemed very spoiled. I wondered about her part in taking the money - as Vivian said, since she was the one going to Paul about fixing it for Bob, is it possible that Greta was the one who orchestrated the whole thing, and Bob just went along? And then the poor slob took the fall for it, too?

Just pondering...

It is true, Stephanie. I agree that Bob didn't seem to be that out there with it all.She is the one that became so defensive. I think maybe we needed to have more text on those two to figure this out but its a good thought to ponder. She did come up with alot of excuses for bob doing this and some of them could have been rehersed in her own mind.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Paul - Shame/guilt

LizzieAnn wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

There is so much to chapter 25, which I've just finished reading. It was numbing for me to read about Paul's feelings, to the point where I wasn't even paying any attention to what Greta was feeling. Yes, she was angry and was thinking of any and everything - every excuse, and every reason she could come up with, to convince Paul that it was now his responsibility to 'protect and defend' her family. I put myself in her place, I put myself in his place...asking, what would I do?....but I kept feeling for Paul. He's going through so much right now, his own problems, being attacked from every angle, by people he barely knows, then to be attacked in the most vulnerable spot, by someone he cares about.

Listening to him being verbally whipped, when Greta asks him....would he lie to save Jane------!? Would he lie to bring her back!? Is this a double standard she's trying to invoke upon his conscience? It was so moving when I read about the "unending suffering" of Jane. I put myself in his place. I knew that feeling of wanting to run away from suffering. Shame and guilt is enormous. He's been living with this along side so many other situations, alone, for so long. He questions himself continually. Did he deserve to know what his wife had said, at the end?
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Paul - Shame/guilt

Kathy,

I suppose my problem with this is that I feel that love isn't deserved- it's given freely. If I have to deserve my husband's love, I'm going to come up short. If one is weak, a spouse will understand that weakness better than anyone. I cannot imagine Paul's wife loving him, and then judging him on his weakness in regard to her dying. Her sister had no problem judging him, but her holier than thou attitude didn't ring true... she was a thief, at least by association. Stealing from her sister's memory, to boot. Just my (rather strong) opinion!
Stephanie
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Paul - Shame/guilt

Stephanie wrote:
Kathy,

I suppose my problem with this is that I feel that love isn't deserved- it's given freely. If I have to deserve my husband's love, I'm going to come up short. If one is weak, a spouse will understand that weakness better than anyone. I cannot imagine Paul's wife loving him, and then judging him on his weakness in regard to her dying. Her sister had no problem judging him, but her holier than thou attitude didn't ring true... she was a thief, at least by association. Stealing from her sister's memory, to boot. Just my (rather strong) opinion!

Stepanie,
I agree with your 'strong' opinion one hundred percent. I think Harlan has his finger on the pulse of each and every one of us, and knows how to raise it just a tad! This was my point to all of these feelings I was throwing out, here. My question was not from my own doubt, but raised to question Paul's, to himself. Thank you for your Beautiful explanation.

Kathy
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 12 members 555 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: