Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Introductions

Welcome to this conversation about The Woods. Harlan Coben has given us another character-driven, thought-provoking thriller. Whether you're a long-time fan of the author's novels, or just getting to know his writing for the first time, it's great to have you along for the ride.

Let's use this thread to introduce ourselves -- who's joining us?
Stephanie
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Introductions

Hi, I am Vivian from Oklahoma. I was looking forward to starting this bookclub with everyone fresh but I am not sure if i can. I ordered the book two weeks ago, and its been lost in transit or something for a week. I have been told they can send out another one, but that could take another two weeks to get here, or wait to see if this one comes or cancel it.I am not sure what to do, obviously I havent even started it yet and may not get to for a week. I dont know how many people have still not even started it yet who are going to be in here other than me.(So many clubs, they all have the book finished before the club starts.) I am not usually a person who can read a book in a day or two, depends on the book and length for sure. I hope I can still get in on this club, but dont know if I ought to just find another one that I can buy the book here for today. I wish since the book just came out this month, that we would have waited at least another full month before starting this club. I do know some others in another club in here I am finishing up, had talked about joining in on this one too but are having a hard time getting the book in time. Darn it! :smileysad:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

I've really been looking forward to this discussion. I'm from NY state and have three teenagers that keep me busy. I'm never without a book and I've enjoyed meeting people here. I've read other Harlan Coben books and love them.

Vivian, don't give up! I just got the book late last night and have barely started it. You have such great input, you have to participate! Could you get it from your library until it arrives? I'll wait for you Viv! :smileyhappy:

~Debbie
BN Editor
Bill_T
0 Kudos

One thing to reassure you, Vivico -- there'll be plenty of others just starting over the next week. Also (I speak from experience here), as in his previous books, Coben has a tendency to grab your attention and not let you put it down until you've finished just one more chapter. Hence, I found myself devouring this at just about maximum speed -- though in a couple of instances I had to go back to make sure I hadn't missed anything.
New User
Red_One
0 Kudos

HI everyone, this is my first book club, not real sure how this works but I enjoyed this book so much that I thought I would join in. Its a great book and cant wait to share thoughts. Can anyone give me any pointers to how this club works. Thanks!!
BN Editor
Bill_T
0 Kudos

It's not too complicated Red_One -- we post some discussion topics for people to get the conversation started, or you can add your own by clicking "New Message" from the main page. We try to begin with some topics that work for people who haven't finished reading, and then later add more that deal with the book as a whole.

Take a look at some of the topics that are on the board now, and let us know what you think!

Red_One wrote:
HI everyone, this is my first book club, not real sure how this works but I enjoyed this book so much that I thought I would join in. Its a great book and cant wait to share thoughts. Can anyone give me any pointers to how this club works. Thanks!!

New User
superdawg
0 Kudos

i am mike. i am not happy with mr. coben. i bought the book one day last week, started reading it on a plane, arrived at my destination, started reading it again and couldn't stop until i had finished. needless to say, i didn't get much sleep that night. i guess i wish he wasn't such a good writer...

never been in one of these groups before; am curious to see what goes on.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Hi, Stephanie, and all!

I'm Kathy S. from Southern Calif. I just bought my book today, and I'm looking forward to discussing it with everyone here.

This will be my first Harlan Coben novel. It sounds like it's going to be a page turner, just from what everyone has said so far - and the reviews I've read have been excellent.

Vivian, I hope you receive your book soon! I usually spend about a week reading, and looking over the questions for discussion, first. I give myself plenty of time to think about these subjects. I think the author said he wouldn't be on until next weekend, so, at this time, I don't feel in a rush to jump into the discussion....although, once I start reading the book, who knows! :-)

Kathy S.
Frequent Contributor
Andeka
0 Kudos

Hi ~ my friends call me Ande and I'm currently living in Colorado. I've never been part of a book club before, so that will be new and exciting. I've also never read any of Harlan's books, but I have to admit... so far...? I'm liking what I'm reading :smileyhappy:
New User
MissTonya
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Tonya. I haven't been on a book club in ages and I see the format is much different than before, hope I don't mess anything up to bad. I finally have a bit of free time and was thrilled to discover a new book by Harlan Coben, and a book club as well, (swooning over here). I love all of his other books I've read (almost, but not quite all...yet) and have been recommending to anyone who mentions reading to me. I picked up the book today and can't wait to start!
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

I holla from the midwest. Haven't read the book yet, am on a waiting list at the library, 51st person, so I will buy The Woods tonight at B&N. Everyone is ranting and raving about it ... can hardly wait to dig in! This is my 2nd book review, Just finished "Cage Stars" with Viv and Wrightly. I hope I can keep up with you all as I have 4 kids, 3 in college, with my oldest graduating this May. I read all kinds of books, I love to read. Look forward to the discussions.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:
I holla from the midwest. Haven't read the book yet, am on a waiting list at the library, 51st person, so I will buy The Woods tonight at B&N. Everyone is ranting and raving about it ... can hardly wait to dig in! This is my 2nd book review, Just finished "Cage Stars" with Viv and Wrightly. I hope I can keep up with you all as I have 4 kids, 3 in college, with my oldest graduating this May. I read all kinds of books, I love to read. Look forward to the discussions.

Cindersue....good choice to go buy it, at 51 on the list, it will be next year by the time you get it! I've had to force myself to not read too fast, I don't want to get to far into it, but it's been hard. I feel like a horse at the gate....so I'm waiting, and waiting, and waiting, chomping at the bit for you all to get the book and start reading! :-)
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Great to see everyone here and ready to go! For those of you who haven't started the book yet, don't worry, there are discussion questions that only refer to the beginning of the book, so you'll still be able to participate before you finish the whole book. It'll be interesting to hear your insights as you go along!

For those who have finished, be mindful of those who haven't, and remember when you're in the early sections, don't give anything away. :smileyhappy:
Stephanie
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Great to see everyone here and ready to go! For those of you who haven't started the book yet, don't worry, there are discussion questions that only refer to the beginning of the book, so you'll still be able to participate before you finish the whole book. It'll be interesting to hear your insights as you go along!

For those who have finished, be mindful of those who haven't, and remember when you're in the early sections, don't give anything away. :smileyhappy:

Yes, Stephanie, I am so glad you are the moderator: What fun! I am beginning to love thrilling reads if they are not too scary. And I love this already. I have only read one third of it but its so good! I know I will love this discussion! Oh! this is me,Linda(va). I am a oldie but hopefully most of you believe I am a goody too! I think so! Anyway, Happy reading to us all!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

Yes, Stephanie, I am so glad you are the moderator: What fun! I am beginning to love thrilling reads if they are not too scary. And I love this already. I have only read one third of it but its so good! I know I will love this discussion! Oh! this is me,Linda(va). I am a oldie but hopefully most of you believe I am a goody too! I think so! Anyway, Happy reading to us all!

Linda, do we have to be old AND good still too? :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

Linda, do we have to be old AND good still too? :smileywink:

Absolutely NO! You go first!!! Being Bad that is!! Hehehe
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

welcome!

Kiakar and Cindersue, so glad to see you made it from one book club to the next! Viv and I were hoping to see you here. Last month's book was very enjoyable even though it was a heavy topic. This should be more exciting and suspenseful. I'm almost half way through the book and really like it. (I stole it away from my mother so I could read it first - for the book club of course :smileywink: ) Harlan Coben's books are always a great read.
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Re: welcome!

Wrighty wrote:
Kiakar and Cindersue, so glad to see you made it from one book club to the next! Viv and I were hoping to see you here. Last month's book was very enjoyable even though it was a heavy topic. This should be more exciting and suspenseful. I'm almost half way through the book and really like it. (I stole it away from my mother so I could read it first - for the book club of course :smileywink: ) Harlan Coben's books are always a great read.

Good to see you, Kiakar, Wrightly and Viv. :smileyhappy: I picked the book up today at the bookstore. I hope to start reading tomorrow, as my eyes are at half mast.

And ... hello to all the new readers. Look forward to "discussing" with you too. :smileywink:
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Linda,

I always know it's you! Great to have you here. And I know what you mean about the scary books - They keep me up too late. Thrilling is better. :smileyhappy:
Stephanie
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Linda,

I always know it's you! Great to have you here. And I know what you mean about the scary books - They keep me up too late. Thrilling is better. :smileyhappy:

Guess you two wont be reading the original 600 page, The Exorcist with me then huh? LOL :smileywink:
Vivian
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 29 members 673 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: