Author
HarlanCoben
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Harlan

Andeka wrote:
What album was "Back in Your Arms" from?? I don't recognize that one... or "Drive All Night" {and I was calling myself a Bruce fan?!?!?} :smileywink:

Back In Your Arms is only on TRACKS, I think. You might be able to ITune it. Total classic. Drive All Night is on The River, I think, but the live version which again you might find online is sublime.

H
Author
HarlanCoben
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Harlan/Skokie

cindersue wrote:
Why did you pick Skokie? Was wondering if you have ever been to Skokie? I grew up around there and thought it was interesting that Paul's parents started out there.

The answer to these question is often, well, why not Skokie? It has to be someplace.

I have done two booksignings there in recent years. That may be why.

H
Author
HarlanCoben
0 Kudos

Re: Paul

His sense of humor was the best! Do you share his quick wit and sarcasm? It's also obvious you are a parent (in a good way!). No one could write those scenes between Paul and his daughter unless they had been through it themselves. Been there, done that and it's really funny now. :smileyvery-happy:

Yes, I'm a parent with four kids. And in all the books, the interaction between parents and children come directly from real life. In fact, the poetry Grace's nine year old daughter writes in JUST ONE LOOK was written by my daughter Charlotte, who was nine at the time.
Author
HarlanCoben
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
Forgive me if this is a "duh" question but has any of your work been turned into a movie? This is my first Harlan Coban book but wont be my last! I hope you do another bookclub in here for us. Thanks, Vivian

TELL NO ONE was turned into a wonderful and big French film, starring Kristin Scott Thomas and France's finest. It was a huge boxoffice success and was nominated for 9 Cesar Awards (France's Oscar) winning four and it won the French version of the Golden Globe for best picture.

For more on it, go to HarlanCoben.com and on the home page, on the right hand side, you'll see a big red square. Click it to see the trailer with English subtitles. I think you'll agree that it is pretty awesome. And if you watch CLOSELY, you will see me in the trailer. Francois Cluzet turns his head at a train station and the tall guy following him? That's yours truly.

Lots of books are out in Hollywood being optioned, but the most interest right now seems to be in an American remake of TELL NO ONE. We will see.

H
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

HarlanCoben wrote:

cindersue wrote:
Why did you pick Skokie? Was wondering if you have ever been to Skokie? I grew up around there and thought it was interesting that Paul's parents started out there.

The answer to these question is often, well, why not Skokie? It has to be someplace.

H

Yes, Skokie is someplace. Quite a place at times. LOL I'll have to get your autograph next time you're there. :smileywink: Woodfield is a bigger place, but Skokie is okay too. :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:

H

Yes, Skokie is someplace. Quite a place at times. LOL I'll have to get your autograph next time you're there. :smileywink: Woodfield is a bigger place, but Skokie is okay too. :smileyhappy:

I thought I should add, on a more serious note, that there are many Holocaust survivors who live in Skokie. When I was growing up, the "American" Nazi's (if there is such a thing), would purposely march in Skokie. It was wonderful to see the different nationalities and races band together against the Nazi's. I thought maybe you knew someone from Skokie. Now, after being in Washington, DC, a few weeks ago and going to the Spy Museum, I may wonder if some of my friends parents were KGB agents. :smileywink:
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

HarlanCoben wrote:

vivico1 wrote:
Forgive me if this is a "duh" question but has any of your work been turned into a movie? This is my first Harlan Coban book but wont be my last! I hope you do another bookclub in here for us. Thanks, Vivian

TELL NO ONE was turned into a wonderful and big French film, starring Kristin Scott Thomas and France's finest. It was a huge boxoffice success and was nominated for 9 Cesar Awards (France's Oscar) winning four and it won the French version of the Golden Globe for best picture.

For more on it, go to HarlanCoben.com and on the home page, on the right hand side, you'll see a big red square. Click it to see the trailer with English subtitles. I think you'll agree that it is pretty awesome. And if you watch CLOSELY, you will see me in the trailer. Francois Cluzet turns his head at a train station and the tall guy following him? That's yours truly.

Lots of books are out in Hollywood being optioned, but the most interest right now seems to be in an American remake of TELL NO ONE. We will see.

H

tooo cool! I am glad I asked then, and i will have to check that out on line. Pulling a Hitchcock appearance aye? :smileyhappy:

ok had to come back and edit this, i just looked at the trailer and it does look like a really good movie. The clip with you is so short, it took 3 tries to find where you are but i saw you and OOOOO you looked so ominous and tall there Harlan! Scary stalker stuff! hehe. Would love to see that version besides an American one too.

Message Edited by vivico1 on 05-10-200701:24 PM

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Harlan/CHAPTER 33 spoiler warning

Harlan,
One of the chapters I absolutely enjoyed the most was the first part of chapter 33! When Muse gets to the campsite and her interaction with the rent-a-cop lol and the sheriff, this stuff was priceless! This part would have to be played out in a movie version with not one line missing! Man she is almost better than Paul at the quick wit comebacks! lol, i started cracking up with nearly every line..Sheriff Lowell..Sheriff Lobo??? ROFL! and the panties in a bunch thing, oh man i used to know a guy who said that all the time but his was dont get your panties in a ruffle lol. And teasing him about her gun (versus his) LOL. She and the sheriff settle into some good witty talk too, but with mutual respect building. I am so glad you gave Muse this much of her own part of the story to know her a bit more away from Paul, on her own, doing her work. I like that she realises that this may put her in a moral delimna with her friend and boss depending on what they find and I love her honesty in talking to Paul about just what she can do and cant. She is an ethical person but with a heart for those she cares about and finding that balance. I knew she was witty and sharp from her convos with Paul earlier but this is the best look at her not playing off him, seeing that, thats just Muse. Loved it!
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
Andeka
0 Kudos

Harlan ~ Thanks for the info on the Bruce tunes... I kind of recognized Drive all Night but couldn't quite place it.

I think your next book should be called "Jungleland" - loosely written about the events in the song by the same name. I think there's more to the story of why "the rats own dream guns him down"... :smileyhappy:

~ Ande
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

children

HarlanCoben wrote:

His sense of humor was the best! Do you share his quick wit and sarcasm? It's also obvious you are a parent (in a good way!). No one could write those scenes between Paul and his daughter unless they had been through it themselves. Been there, done that and it's really funny now. :smileyvery-happy:

Yes, I'm a parent with four kids. And in all the books, the interaction between parents and children come directly from real life. In fact, the poetry Grace's nine year old daughter writes in JUST ONE LOOK was written by my daughter Charlotte, who was nine at the time.

Harlan,

Real life interactions are the best source. Kids are the funniest people on earth. I've kept a journal of the silly moments and funny comments my kids have said over the years. They get to enjoy reading about themselves now that they are older.

That was such a great idea to use your daughter's poetry in your book! She must have been so proud and she will always treasure that. I'll have to read that book again so I can find her poem. Now you'll have to include your other children in your books or they'll never let you forget it!

~Debbie
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Harlan/Character names

I also donate character names for charity. In short, if you bid enough money, I will use your name in a book. You might have a big part but most likely, it will be small. That said, Loren Muse was a name someone bought with a donation. So that one I can't take credit for.

I would love to have more information on this. Where can I find more about this?
Author
HarlanCoben
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Harlan/Character names

cindersue wrote:
I also donate character names for charity. In short, if you bid enough money, I will use your name in a book. You might have a big part but most likely, it will be small. That said, Loren Muse was a name someone bought with a donation. So that one I can't take credit for.

I would love to have more information on this. Where can I find more about this?

Not much to tell you about. I don't really announce them but certain charities will have it in their auctions. Sign up for the newsletter at HarlanCoben.com and if any comes available, I will let you know.

Thanks!
Harlan
New User
atlreader
0 Kudos

Question for Harlan - life-changing moments

I think I may have just lost my original post on this question, so I shall try to recapture it here. If it appears twice, I apologize.

If I were an English major writing a paper about your body of work, I think I would explore several themes that seem to run throughout all your books.

One would be, of course, a father's overwhelming love for his children - and what he would do (or not do) to protect them.

A second would be that "murky line between right and wrong." You always force your protagonists to confront their own morality in a way that challenges your readers to do the same. This is one of the reasons your books linger in readers' heads so long after they've put the volumes down.

A third, inextricably linked to the second, is the concept of "ripples" - those after-shocks of an act that affect everyone in its path.

But it's the fourth that I'm curious about - you've called them "Star Trek-like portals," "full-fledged life transformers." In JUST ONE LOOK, it was when Grace saw that photograph. For Matt in THE INNOCENT, it's when that phone rings. It's that single moment when life changes "and you think, this is my life before and this is my life after."

Could you talk for a moment about why you are so fascinated by this concept? What motivates you to return to it again and again? Did something happen in your own life that compelled you to think about it?

Shawn
New User
atlreader
0 Kudos

Question for Harlan - Jeff Abbott

P.S. I wanted to thank you too for that blurb you wrote on one of Jeff Abbott's earlier books. It was because of that blurb that I bought that book - and found another author whose work I love. I've been to several of his signings here in Atlanta since that time, and have to ask: are you aware that he tells tales about you during these events?

Shawn
Atlreader
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Re: Question for Harlan - life-changing moments

atlreader wrote:
I think I may have just lost my original post on this question, so I shall try to recapture it here. If it appears twice, I apologize.

If I were an English major writing a paper about your body of work, I think I would explore several themes that seem to run throughout all your books.

One would be, of course, a father's overwhelming love for his children - and what he would do (or not do) to protect them.

A second would be that "murky line between right and wrong." You always force your protagonists to confront their own morality in a way that challenges your readers to do the same. This is one of the reasons your books linger in readers' heads so long after they've put the volumes down.

A third, inextricably linked to the second, is the concept of "ripples" - those after-shocks of an act that affect everyone in its path.

But it's the fourth that I'm curious about - you've called them "Star Trek-like portals," "full-fledged life transformers." In JUST ONE LOOK, it was when Grace saw that photograph. For Matt in THE INNOCENT, it's when that phone rings. It's that single moment when life changes "and you think, this is my life before and this is my life after."

Could you talk for a moment about why you are so fascinated by this concept? What motivates you to return to it again and again? Did something happen in your own life that compelled you to think about it?

Shawn

Great observations! That's what makes the books so good. I want to hear the answers to those questions as well.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Question for Harlan - story building

Harlan,
I was wondering, when you write a suspense book, especially with the "who done it" elements to it, do you know the ending when you start and go back and build your characters around that ending (kind of like doing the outside of a jigsaw puzzle first so you know the framework and fill in the details)? Or do you start with a character and an idea for him, developing plots and new characters as you go?
Vivian
Author
HarlanCoben
0 Kudos

Re: Question for Harlan - life-changing moments

atlreader wrote:

Shawn

Wow, Shawn, I need to save this post. You put this wonderfully. I really don't have much to add. This is all true.

As for the fourth theme, most life changes are abrupt, aren't they? "The tumor is not benign." "There's been an accident." If you go to HarlanCoben.com and click on ESSAYS, you'll see stories I've written for the NEW YORK TIMES and other publications. One is a fictional account of my father's passing. One is a true story about my mother. Another is a true story about one of my closest friends who died in a plane crash. They can probably answer your query better than I can.

Thanks,
Harlan
Author
HarlanCoben
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
Harlan,
I was wondering, when you write a suspense book, especially with the "who done it" elements to it, do you know the ending when you start and go back and build your characters around that ending (kind of like doing the outside of a jigsaw puzzle first so you know the framework and fill in the details)? Or do you start with a character and an idea for him, developing plots and new characters as you go?

Every writer does it differently -- and sometimes writers do it differently from book to book. In the past, I always knew the end right from the beginning. Not all of it. But I knew who did it and what happened.

That wasn't the case with THE WOODS.

Early on, those four teenagers disappear into the woods and for about 200 pages I had no idea what happened to them. I didn't know if his sister was alive or dead. I didn't know what role any of them played in that tragic night. I had an idea or two, a thought or two, a hunch maybe, but I didn't know.

Best,
Harlan
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

HarlanCoben wrote:

vivico1 wrote:
Harlan,

Every writer does it differently -- and sometimes writers do it differently from book to book. In the past, I always knew the end right from the beginning. Not all of it. But I knew who did it and what happened.

That wasn't the case with THE WOODS.

Early on, those four teenagers disappear into the woods and for about 200 pages I had no idea what happened to them. I didn't know if his sister was alive or dead. I didn't know what role any of them played in that tragic night. I had an idea or two, a thought or two, a hunch maybe, but I didn't know.

Best,
Harlan

Harlan, I'm sure you've heard these questions over and over again but this is the kind of stuff that I really like to hear about from the authors. It's so interesting to find out the details and how the story came about. You write so well and there's always some twists that I can't quite figure out. It sounds like you've got some new fans on this book club too. This book is very popular already. I know I'm ready for your next one. How long do we have to wait? (hint, hint :smileyhappy: ) Obviously each one is different but approximately how long does it take you to write a book?
Frequent Contributor
Andeka
0 Kudos

Harlan ~

How long did it take you to write The Woods?

and all marketing efforts aside - which has been your favorite book (that you wrote) to date? {I ask because I'm looking for another book to read...}
Users Online
Currently online:112 members 552 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: