Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Re: Question for Harlan - life-changing moments

Harlan,

Thanks for mentioning the essays on your site- I meant to earlier, but it clean slipped my mind. They're excellent.

Here's the link, folks: http://www.harlancoben.com/static/shorts.htm
Stephanie
Author
HarlanCoben
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Harlan

Andeka wrote:
Harlan ~

How long did it take you to write The Woods?

and all marketing efforts aside - which has been your favorite book (that you wrote) to date? {I ask because I'm looking for another book to read...}

I write one book a year. It usually takes nine months to a year to write.

It is hard for me to pick a favorite. Most readers discovered me via the novel TELL NO ONE. So maybe that's where I'd tell you to go next.

Harlan
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Harlan/Paul and Lucy

Harlan, I loved your book! It was great suspense and a great look at the make up of character. I posted a thread, the end of book Paul and Lucy, where I gave my thoughts about Paul's character not being black and white and how that played into his relationship at the end with Lucy. Rather than post it here again and take up space,if you get a chance to read that, I would love your final thoughts on how who he was did affect the ending. You said once on one of the threads, you did get the reactions you were looking for, from some of our answers. Once you read my reaction, I was wondering, is that one of them lol. I had a love/hate thing with the ending :smileywink: thanks in advance and thanks for visiting with us, troubles and all :smileyhappy: vivico1 aka Vivian
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
HarlanCoben
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
Harlan, I loved your book! It was great suspense and a great look at the make up of character. I posted a thread, the end of book Paul and Lucy, where I gave my thoughts about Paul's character not being black and white and how that played into his relationship at the end with Lucy. Rather than post it here again and take up space,if you get a chance to read that, I would love your final thoughts on how who he was did affect the ending. You said once on one of the threads, you did get the reactions you were looking for, from some of our answers. Once you read my reaction, I was wondering, is that one of them lol. I had a love/hate thing with the ending :smileywink: thanks in advance and thanks for visiting with us, troubles and all :smileyhappy: vivico1 aka Vivian

I think you have it just right, Vivian. I wanted all the characters, even the lead, to be gray. I want you to question his actions and wonder if he did the right thing always -- just as he does. No one gets out of those WOODS unscathed. I like that aspect.

I wanted the ending to be different too -- but that would have been fantasy. It ended exactly as I wanted, on the note I wanted.

Harlan
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

HarlanCoben wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

I think you have it just right, Vivian. I wanted all the characters, even the lead, to be gray. I want you to question his actions and wonder if he did the right thing always -- just as he does. No one gets out of those WOODS unscathed. I like that aspect.

I wanted the ending to be different too -- but that would have been fantasy. It ended exactly as I wanted, on the note I wanted.

Harlan

yeah, it was a good (and realistic ending) but shoot! lol, ok the romantics in us will have to believe that they do work it out, are willing to work it out. You kept him true to his character and I guess to have that "fantasy" ending would be too easy a way out of "the woods of their lives", with all the pain that that night and place caused. Very good book and I agree with the others here who are new to your books, I too have become a fan and will look for more of your books. Thanks for the good read and thanks for participating with us here. :smileyhappy:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
Andeka
0 Kudos

HarlanCoben wrote:

It is hard for me to pick a favorite. Most readers discovered me via the novel TELL NO ONE. So maybe that's where I'd tell you to go next.

Harlan

Thanks for the recommendation ~ and like others, I too hope there are more books with Paul in them (hint hint) :smileywink:

~ande
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Andeka wrote:

HarlanCoben wrote:

Harlan

Thanks for the recommendation ~ and like others, I too hope there are more books with Paul in them (hint hint) :smileywink:

~ande

I agree, Ande, Cope's a keeper!

Kathy S.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Questions or comparisons to music?

I'm not sure if I have a question, or if it's just something that hit me while reading Harlan's writing. I had, like most everyone here, noted the music references. My thought was, while reading and watching the sentences forming on the page, it reminded me of reading music. It's hard for me to explain, and it may sound more than a little weird to anyone who may not read music. The words were forming as notes for me. I've never observed or had that feeling before. Maybe it was just a subconcious feeling, because of the music references. I have read novels that have become lyrical in their words, but it wasn't the same with this novel. It was the structure itself. And no, I haven't been eating mushrooms!

The single word responses, or thoughts from a character, were like a staccato note. They have a quick and hard sound. The quick sentences were fast notes, running thoughts together. There were whole notes and pauses that made me stop and ponder at times, but were quickly picked up by short sounds again. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I felt an incredible rhythm to all of these words.

Harlan, do you listen to music while you write?

Kathy S.
Author
HarlanCoben
0 Kudos

Re: Questions or comparisons to music?

br>
Harlan, do you listen to music while you write?

Kathy S.

Sometimes. I did want this book to have a "soundtrack" if you will. I love music and I thought the songs Lucy listened to helped define her character.
Rog
New User
Rog
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:
Post your questions directly to Harlan here.

Please note that this thread is appropriate for those who have finished the book.

Stephanie wrote:
Post your questions directly to Harlan here.

Please note that this thread is appropriate for those who have finished the book.

This is the best Harlan book yet, with The Innocent a close second. What was the inspiration behind the Russian family secrets? Why the KGB? I loved how the rape case paralleled what was actually happening to Cope; it really leaves alot to think about. Would Cope think differently about the cases he prosecutes in the future? Maybe the line between good and bad, black and white is a little more blurry, a little less distinctive. What kind of effect would this have on Cope in his own future?

I would love to see a follow-up book with Cope.

Great book Mr. Coben!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Rog,
I just happened to look back at this club. This club was last month's and there was hardly any discussion the last week anyway, if at all. Harlan was gone by then too so he won't be here to talk to now. This club ended but its here I guess if you want to read the book and look at what was posted while it was going on, but its not an on going club now. Just thought i would let you know, :smileywink:
Vivian
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 41 members 382 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: