Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

WHERE'S HARLAN

Thats all, just where's Harlan? Where are the authors of these books that the authors are suppose to be here for the month? I dont expect every day stuff, but a couple of times a week? We used to have some really good mods who were writers about the subjects at least and if we didnt have something to ask them, they had stuff to ask us and man lots of convos all month long that way. The last author wasnt even here the last week, nor did she say hi, bye, or kiss my ... I am not trying to be rude or mean, but just wondering, cause I get these books when i get these books, for the author interaction, otherwise I might be doing something else and get the book at leisure. Maybe if the authors are busy the first month the books come out, and I am sure they are, we should do author appearance books the second or third month after its out. Would be easier to have it read too by the time they get here so we could have questions ready when they are too. I loved this book but honestly, I could have gotten it later, the chance to discuss it with the author is what made me get it now.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
HarlanCoben
0 Kudos

Re: WHERE'S HARLAN

vivico1 wrote:
Thats all, just where's Harlan? Where are the authors of these books that the authors are suppose to be here for the month? I dont expect every day stuff, but a couple of times a week? We used to have some really good mods who were writers about the subjects at least and if we didnt have something to ask them, they had stuff to ask us and man lots of convos all month long that way. The last author wasnt even here the last week, nor did she say hi, bye, or kiss my ... I am not trying to be rude or mean, but just wondering, cause I get these books when i get these books, for the author interaction, otherwise I might be doing something else and get the book at leisure. Maybe if the authors are busy the first month the books come out, and I am sure they are, we should do author appearance books the second or third month after its out. Would be easier to have it read too by the time they get here so we could have questions ready when they are too. I loved this book but honestly, I could have gotten it later, the chance to discuss it with the author is what made me get it now.

Frankly I'm having trouble figuring out where to go and when things are new. If I see something, I comment. If I don't, I don't. I always check the questions section and answer if I can.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

vivico1 wrote:

You know, Viv, if you have a thought, a problem, or a grievance with the moderators, or the authors, why don't you take it with them, personally, in a PM, or address these issues to Kevin or in a blog, or take it to the Communty Com Rm....instead of clogging up these boards with your complaints, which gives me reasons to NOT read your posts. Work on having a little patience---it's good for the soul! We all have a life, outside of these boards.

Kathy

Message Edited by KathyS on 05-16-200707:15 PM

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

You know, Viv, if you have a thought, a problem, or a grievance with the moderators, or the authors, why don't you take it with them, personally, in a PM, or address these issues to Kevin or in a blog, or take it to the Communty Com Rm....instead of clogging up these boards with your complaints, which gives me reasons to NOT read your posts. Work on having a little patience---it's good for the soul! We all have a life, outside of these boards.

Kathy

If you had the patience you speak of Kathy, you would have read where I said,"I am not trying to be rude or mean, but just wondering..." and "Maybe if the authors are busy the first month the books come out, and I am sure they are >, we should do author appearance books the second or third month after its out. Would be easier to have it read too by the time they get here so we could have questions ready when they are too." That last part is called a suggestion or offer of one. I was always told, never talk about problems unless you have a solution to offer.

I could have posted in a PM to an Editor. I wanted readers to read it and see what they thought if they wanted to offer something too and I also wanted Harlan to see it, cause I wondered if maybe he would think it would be better not to do them the month they first come out too, its got to be a busy time for authors. If you read his remarks, which I do hope the BN people take note of too, he has been having a hard time getting used to this format too, as was the last author as you noted to me too, and so maybe the authors need more help with this too before we start. I let him know (and all) I love this book, and I will probably read more of his now but I do have a right to my opinion that, picking them at the time an author is to be here, is a big part of why I pick a book right then and Hello, Houston, we got a problem here, not with Harlan, himself, but with timing for the authors in general.

As for clogging up the boards??? HMMM, like with cheeto posts and blank posts??? How about we just chill now and I promise, if you dont read my posts, I wont be offended. And I hope this one is left up, so I could respond as to why i posted what I posted here. I said nothing wrong or out of place. And I didnt clog a thread to do it and posted what it was about. It did one other thing I wanted to see if something that might be a little provocative would do too, that is, get someone to post anything! lol, its slowing down so so fast that I hate to see it end. Thus my frustration also.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
KathyS
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Kathy

If you had the patience you speak of Kathy, you would have read where I said,"I am not trying to be rude or mean, but just wondering..." and "Maybe if the authors are busy the first month the books come out, and I am sure they are >, we should do author appearance books the second or third month after its out. Would be easier to have it read too by the time they get here so we could have questions ready when they are too." That last part is called a suggestion or offer of one. I was always told, never talk about problems unless you have a solution to offer.

I could have posted in a PM to an Editor. I wanted readers to read it and see what they thought if they wanted to offer something too and I also wanted Harlan to see it, cause I wondered if maybe he would think it would be better not to do them the month they first come out too, its got to be a busy time for authors. If you read his remarks, which I do hope the BN people take note of too, he has been having a hard time getting used to this format too, as was the last author as you noted to me too, and so maybe the authors need more help with this too before we start. I let him know (and all) I love this book, and I will probably read more of his now but I do have a right to my opinion that, picking them at the time an author is to be here, is a big part of why I pick a book right then and Hello, Houston, we got a problem here, not with Harlan, himself, but with timing for the authors in general.

As for clogging up the boards??? HMMM, like with cheeto posts and blank posts??? How about we just chill now and I promise, if you dont read my posts, I wont be offended. And I hope this one is left up, so I could respond as to why i posted what I posted here. I said nothing wrong or out of place. And I didnt clog a thread to do it and posted what it was about. It did one other thing I wanted to see if something that might be a little provocative would do too, that is, get someone to post anything! lol, its slowing down so so fast that I hate to see it end. Thus my frustration also.

Thanks for your expert hanging out the dirty laundry...ONANONANONANON
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

dirty laundry?? LOL, do we have dirty laundry?? Just responding Kath. and yeah, i LOVE the onanonanon joke, its a good one hehe.

KathyS wrote:
Vivian
KathyS
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
dirty laundry?? LOL, do we have dirty laundry?? Just responding Kath. and yeah, i LOVE the onanonanon joke, its a good one hehe.

KathyS wrote:

Vivian, I publicly opologize. I was out of line. I'm through.
Kathy
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

book clubs

KathyS wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Kathy

I wish I would have been able to get to this sooner because I would like to defend what Vivico had to say here in this one post. She mentioned before that the last few book clubs seemed to slow down so quickly and not really have an ending. When there was talk of Harlan not being able to get here the first week because of his busy schedule and then he had a hard time figuring out the boards, she suggested ways to try to improve things to make it better for everyone and to make the discussions last longer. It can be hard for the authors sometimes and the moderators are often spread too thin to keep a discussion going all of the time. Vivian wasn't insulting anyone (neither am I) and we all want this to work or we wouldn't be here. It can be hard to interpret a written message since you can't tell the writer's tone of voice but Viv meant no harm. She's brought it up before and she's only trying to help make this a better club. Kathy, maybe you just misunderstood what she was saying, it happens to all of us, but it's not constructive if we bash each other. If you're not sure what someone intends by their post just ask. Or maybe, in your own words "why don't you take it with them, personally, in a PM, or address these issues to Kevin or in a blog, or take it to the Communty Com Rm....instead of clogging up these boards with your complaints". :smileyhappy:

I've been waiting for this discussion since it was announced. Harlan Coben is one of my favorite authors and I've been excited to chat with him and pick his brain. This was a great book and there are obviously some new Coben fans now. I've also met some new friends on these boards and I really enjoy hearing what all of you have to say. We don't have to agree, in fact we shouldn't always agree but we can make BNBC a great place to be full of interesting discussions. May isn't finished yet and I really, really want to discuss this book some more. :smileytongue:
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: book clubs

Wrighty wrote:

KathyS wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Kathy

I wish I would have been able to get to this sooner because I would like to defend what Vivico had to say here in this one post. She mentioned before that the last few book clubs seemed to slow down so quickly and not really have an ending. When there was talk of Harlan not being able to get here the first week because of his busy schedule and then he had a hard time figuring out the boards, she suggested ways to try to improve things to make it better for everyone and to make the discussions last longer. It can be hard for the authors sometimes and the moderators are often spread too thin to keep a discussion going all of the time. Vivian wasn't insulting anyone (neither am I) and we all want this to work or we wouldn't be here. It can be hard to interpret a written message since you can't tell the writer's tone of voice but Viv meant no harm. She's brought it up before and she's only trying to help make this a better club. Kathy, maybe you just misunderstood what she was saying, it happens to all of us, but it's not constructive if we bash each other. If you're not sure what someone intends by their post just ask. Or maybe, in your own words "why don't you take it with them, personally, in a PM, or address these issues to Kevin or in a blog, or take it to the Communty Com Rm....instead of clogging up these boards with your complaints". :smileyhappy:

I've been waiting for this discussion since it was announced. Harlan Coben is one of my favorite authors and I've been excited to chat with him and pick his brain. This was a great book and there are obviously some new Coben fans now. I've also met some new friends on these boards and I really enjoy hearing what all of you have to say. We don't have to agree, in fact we shouldn't always agree but we can make BNBC a great place to be full of interesting discussions. May isn't finished yet and I really, really want to discuss this book some more. :smileytongue:

I love talking back and forth with all of you. I am sorry there is a misunderstanding. Alot of what a person says on line cannot be distinquished as if you are shouting, talking loudly, as to appear to be angry or aggressive appearing to be bossy. We have to take what a person says by the way we should receive it. And hope for the best I do not feel that Vivico was rude, she was just stating an opinion and I believe KathyS., was having a bad hair day! I really like both of you and love reading your posts. Lets all hug and let it be forgotten......
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

to Harlan

[ Edited ]

HarlanCoben wrote:
Frankly I'm having trouble figuring out where to go and when things are new. If I see something, I comment. If I don't, I don't. I always check the questions section and answer if I can.

Harlan,

Don't give up on us! We'd be happy to help in any way we can. It takes a little practice to use these boards but then it's not so bad. I've been excitedly anticipating this discussion and don't want to lose you for any reason. :smileyhappy: I love this book, as I have your others, and I've been recommending it to everyone. You've made a lot of new fans. Thanks for joining us this month.

~Debbie

Message Edited by Wrighty on 05-18-200712:54 AM

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: book clubs

kiakar wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Kathy

I love talking back and forth with all of you. I am sorry there is a misunderstanding. Alot of what a person says on line cannot be distinquished as if you are shouting, talking loudly, as to appear to be angry or aggressive appearing to be bossy. We have to take what a person says by the way we should receive it. And hope for the best I do not feel that Vivico was rude, she was just stating an opinion and I believe KathyS., was having a bad hair day! I really like both of you and love reading your posts. Lets all hug and let it be forgotten......

I want to thank you guys for understanding what I was trying to say and speaking up. I meant and mean no harm, and its all over now anyway, so no harm no foul right? :smileywink: And if I offended anyone else, I do apologize too. It is just hard to see the convos stop so soon in a month and hear authors are having hard times with this. You dont know if they have trouble or just dont care. I do apppreciate Harlan answering on this thread too and saying he was having trouble. I didnt think from his post that he was offended by me and as I told someone here, I really think if he had been, Harlan could certainly take me on and anything I had to say quite easily lol. Anyway, yes as suggested, lets just move on now and I for one would sure like to hear from some of you who are reading posts but may feel you havent anything to say, i bet you do :smileywink:. We know your out there, look at the number of viewed vs the number or posts lol.
Vivian
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Book group suggestions

I'm going to ask that this conversation close - I'd like to get back on the topic of the book.

In the future, if someone has suggestions about how to make the book groups better, please take those to the B&N Editors.

Thanks,
Stephanie
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Hey club members, remember that we just have Harlan this week, through the 25th, so if we have any questions we probably need to get them posted on the board to him a day or so before that, maybe wednesday. If you havent finished the book, you may want to before then too. Just remembered that looking up at the top of this bookclub page.

After that, I am off to the God of Animals for June, what is everyone else reading for June, if any from here? Hope we have lots of talk this week, its a really good book and some really good clubbers in here. :smileywink:
Vivian
Users Online
Currently online:60 members 477 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: