Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

12 Uses of Dragon Blood -- A Scavenger Hunt!

We all know that Dumbledore is famous for figuring out the 12 Uses of Dragon Blood along with his buddy Nicholas Flamel.

JKR has given us two uses:

1. Oven Cleaner --- the stuff must really be caustic!
2. Wound Healer --- Hagrid was using a dragon steak to heal his wounds from Grawp.

By looking at other myths and legends, I came across a few more...

From Sigurd The Dragon Slayer,
3. tasting the blood gave him the ability to understand the language of birds.
Maybe this could be extended to understanding the language of snakes and merpeople as well?

4. Bathing in it confers invulnerability
5. Eating dragon heart confers wisdom and prophesy

Now it is your turn! Our task is to comb our mythology sources from all over the globe and find more legendary uses for the stuff, coming up with 12 by July 21! You must use real stories from mythology, though. I don't think stuff from games would qualify...

See if you can find one that says it can be used for invisibility!
Frequent Contributor
cjb07
0 Kudos

Re: 12 Uses of Dragon Blood -- A Scavenger Hunt!

Are you sure that Hagrid's use of Dragon steak really counts? It's just bigger piece of steak than normal, and Hagrid is a bigger person than normal. Steak used to be a common treatment for black eyes, and besides, its meat, not actually blood. I think it just further brings to life Hagrid's silly "housewife" persona (tea, crumpets, aprons..) by having him play into the old wives' myth of steak treating a black eye. The detail of it being dragon steak may just be there to add to the magical aspect of Harry's world.
Frequent Contributor
HPRocksMySocks
0 Kudos

Yes, but don't forget how often JKR said something lik "The green juices dripping from the steak relaxed Hagrid's pained face." or something along those lines. So, the steak could have actually been healing him.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Yes, I think I've now read so much about dragons that I can safely say that dragon blood is believed by many cultures to have both medicinal and poisonous properties. I suppose it is all in the preparation...

And I can add another use : Apparently it is used as Lacquer!

I think I mentioned in another thread that there are some Chinese Dragons which in some way confer invisibility and the ability to see the invisible, but I can't find a source that will tell me which part of the dragon does that, is it the blood, or the skin, or the claws, or something else? Don't know yet. I was real happy to just find the connection from Dragons to Dumbledore's unexplained skills in this area. Still looking, though...
New User
Gingerbee22
0 Kudos

its the talons that are supposed to be like powdered or something and a mix of asian herbs or something like that.
Frequent Contributor
jftapia88
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:
Yes, I think I've now read so much about dragons that I can safely say that dragon blood is believed by many cultures to have both medicinal and poisonous properties. I suppose it is all in the preparation...

I think I mentioned in another thread that there are some Chinese Dragons which in some way confer invisibility and the ability to see the invisible, but I can't find a source that will tell me which part of the dragon does that, is it the blood, or the skin, or the claws, or something else? Don't know yet. I was real happy to just find the connection from Dragons to Dumbledore's unexplained skills in this area. Still looking, though...

well i just found that too, that it is a lacquer, but i dont think that it is actual dragons blood, that is something from a plant(s). there is a red resin from like 4 different plants that they used to dye stuff. in the medditeranean they used it as medicine like stuff, it was in toothpaste,

"In neopagan Witchcraft, it is used to increase the potency of spells for protection, love, banishing and sexuality" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon's_blood

thats all i could find for now, i thought it was interesting that it was used to increase the potency for spells of love, since it was lily's love that saved harry. and since it is red, it would explain why the stuff on slughorns walls was red. maybe that wasnt dragons blood from the animal but the plant, and hagrid was using actual dragon meat.
Julie
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

The stuff on the walls was probably real dragon blood, but you are right, the resin that makes lacquer is made from a plant.

One never knows what JKR would use in her "12 uses". Since everything that was real was made with one of four "dragon" plants, not animals, we don't know whether to use them or not.

The thing is, when you look at the mythology and folklore, many of the same things are listed as uses of the animal dragon, such as the fact that it has medicinal properties.

So I'm just sort of looking for stuff that is considered "old knowledge", medieval or earlier, preferably from dragon myths and legends, but am keeping track of the other kind, too.

To tell you the truth, I was most particularly looking for those "uses" which correspond to Dumbledore's special abilities. Those non-wand things he can do which no one else can...

Thanks for looking! I was beginning to think I was the only one and it was lonely :smileysad:
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Do you think there may be a plant called Dragon's Blood? If so, that would explain the red/green color discrepancy. I don't have my copy of HBP handy and I can't remember if the phrase is capitalized or if it even needs to be.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jftapia88 wrote:

Psychee wrote:

well i just found that too, that it is a lacquer, but i dont think that it is actual dragons blood, that is something from a plant(s). there is a red resin from like 4 different plants that they used to dye stuff. in the medditeranean they used it as medicine like stuff, it was in toothpaste,

"In neopagan Witchcraft, it is used to increase the potency of spells for protection, love, banishing and sexuality" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon's_blood

thats all i could find for now, i thought it was interesting that it was used to increase the potency for spells of love, since it was lily's love that saved harry. and since it is red, it would explain why the stuff on slughorns walls was red. maybe that wasnt dragons blood from the animal but the plant, and hagrid was using actual dragon meat.

Message Edited by dcsbelle on 05-03-200704:44 PM

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

dcsbelle wrote:
Do you think there may be a plant called Dragon's Blood? If so, that would explain the red/green color discrepancy. I don't have my copy of HBP handy and I can't remember if the phrase is capitalized or if it even needs to be

Yes, there are actually four different plant species that were called "Dragon Blood" in ancient texts by geographically diverse peoples. But explain the red / green connection you thought of...
Frequent Contributor
dcsbelle
0 Kudos

I was thinking that if dragons have green blood then the red "blood" on Slughorn's wall could have been green fluid from the plant "dragon's blood."
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Psychee wrote:

dcsbelle wrote:
Do you think there may be a plant called Dragon's Blood? If so, that would explain the red/green color discrepancy. I don't have my copy of HBP handy and I can't remember if the phrase is capitalized or if it even needs to be

Yes, there are actually four different plant species that were called "Dragon Blood" in ancient texts by geographically diverse peoples. But explain the red / green connection you thought of...

Debbie

Hedwig is not really dead; it was all just a big misunderstanding
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

I see! But maybe the dragon meat is green and the blood is red? If Dumbledore identified it as blood I would think that he really meant blood, don't you?
Frequent Contributor
Dkrupp
0 Kudos

Going with one of your "known" uses, I wonder if consuming the dragon blood would allow Harry to understand Fawkes, who is a magical bird. Seems to me, that could come in handy as he's seen a lot and heard a lot.

Also, Jo said Harry might get a new pet in DH.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Oh, I didn't hear that about Harry getting a new pet! That's terrific! I've been expecting Fawkes to choose Harry as his next human friend...it just makes sense for him to go to the person Dumbledore cared about the most... and the dragon blood would work to help him understand him...
Frequent Contributor
jftapia88
0 Kudos

Dkrupp wrote:
Going with one of your "known" uses, I wonder if consuming the dragon blood would allow Harry to understand Fawkes, who is a magical bird. Seems to me, that could come in handy as he's seen a lot and heard a lot.

Also, Jo said Harry might get a new pet in DH.

i just realized something. in japanese art or tradition or whatever it is, dragons and pheonixes go together. they are like the ying to each others yang, so to speak. omg, what if harry gets fawkes and norbert, or if he needs them both for something!
Julie
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Yes, that combination of dragons and phoenixes is mentioned a lot in the stuff I read. What is behind it is that together they represent the "four elements of nature", with the phoenix symbolizing air and earth, and the dragon symbolizing water and fire.

The concept is used in alchemy, and one of the interesting things I discovered is that it was the one missing geometric figure (a square) on that symbol on the spine of the UK cover. If you added it to that sign, it would symbolize a sort of cosmic perfection, and in alchemy that becomes the sorcerer's stone.

The combination of the two animals has also been why I've been searching for the owner of the dragon armor... does that same person own a phoenix?

About Norbert -- I am almost certain that he will return. He has poisonous fangs, too, so I'm hoping they will help Harry.
Frequent Contributor
Bookladt
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:
The stuff on the walls was probably real dragon blood, but you are right, the resin that makes lacquer is made from a plant.

One never knows what JKR would use in her "12 uses". Since everything that was real was made with one of four "dragon" plants, not animals, we don't know whether to use them or not.

The thing is, when you look at the mythology and folklore, many of the same things are listed as uses of the animal dragon, such as the fact that it has medicinal properties.

So I'm just sort of looking for stuff that is considered "old knowledge", medieval or earlier, preferably from dragon myths and legends, but am keeping track of the other kind, too.

To tell you the truth, I was most particularly looking for those "uses" which correspond to Dumbledore's special abilities. Those non-wand things he can do which no one else can...

Thanks for looking! I was beginning to think I was the only one and it was lonely :smileysad:

You aren't the only ones looking - so am I . So far I have found references to several things but not 12. Slavic myths credit dragon's blood for curing blindness and heroic bravery. We already knew of the link to the power to understand the language of birds and I liked the idea of Harry being able to understand Fawkes. He might be able to tell Harry a lot about Dumbledore's travels during the last year of his life. I also found the varnish but I think it is from the plant. It is interesting to note tht the varnish is the type used on violins. What did Dumbledore say in book 1 about music being "a magic beyond all we do here"? Other myths say dragon blood conveys wisdom and strength to the drinker, others say they get superhuman abilities. One last source says that dragons blood can melt metals which could keep someone from striking them more than once with a weapon - the blood would destroy the weapon. Tells me that whoever duels with a dragon better hope he hits the right spot the first time as there will be no second chances!
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

That melting metals thing is similar to the idea of it being used as an oven cleaner.

Maybe it can be used to melt down the locket and the cup?

Remember that cupboard in the Room of Requirement in which Harry hid his potion book? He said it looked like someone had thrown acid at it... wonder if that's a clue...

RE: the violin connection -- he also likes Chamber Music...

Conveys wisdom and strength...superhuman... cool... we'll add those!
Contributor
Irwin
0 Kudos

Maybe it was the blood who was healing Hagrid.The blood couldn't have make people speak merpeople. Most famous wizards like Fudge probably knows that language too.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

We're trying to just guess what the 12 uses could be, Irwin, by looking at ancient mythology and seeing what those stories said about dragon blood. We are guessing that JKR would use those ideas first, to stay close to those myths.

In one of those myths, tasting the blood of a dragon gave a hero the ability to understand the language of birds. So we are guessing (just playing, remember!) that if it could do that, then maybe it could also give a person the ability to understand the language of other creatures, like merpeople.

That doesn't mean that wizards might not be able to learn these languages in some other way.
Frequent Contributor
cjb07
0 Kudos

I have another metal to add..gold. The alchemy ties there are strong. I wonder if that helped when dumbledore and flamel created the sorcerer's stone?