Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

Re: 20 Questions

1. No, Harry does not ever own one.

2. Yes, it is magical.

3. No, it is not a time turner.

4. Yes, it is bigger than a shoe box.

5. Yes, it is living.

6. No, it is not the Marauder's Map.

☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

7.  Does it have a proper name (e.g. Dobby)?

8.  Does Harry encounter it before the end of book 3?

9.  Does Harry talk to it?

Correspondent
kellybeans
0 Kudos

7. Is it a hippogriff?

"We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it. That's all."
-The Breakfast Club
Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

10   Does it have Feathers?

11   Does it have scales?

Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

2. Yes, it is magical.

5. Yes, it is living.

7. No, it does not have a proper name.

8. No, Harry does not encounter it before the end of book 3.

9. Yes, Harry talks to it.

10. No, it is not a hippogirff.

11. No, it does not have feathers.

12. No, it does not have scales.

☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

If we crawl/ Till we can walk again/ Then we'll run/ Until we're strong enough to jump/ Then we'll fly/ Until there is no end.
Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

13.  Is it a Thestral?

14.  Is it a Merperson?

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Right not really a question, but.... how can a thing be living? Living is animal, creature, plant, human, virus', and mushrooms. I'm confused.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Right not really a question, but.... how can a thing be living? Living is animal, creature, plant, human, virus', and mushrooms. I'm confused.

Well, if one tried to fit a tangible something into a category of person, place or thing -- then animals and creatures would be things, right?   They aren't "persons".

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Psychee wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Well, if one tried to fit a tangible something into a category of person, place or thing -- then animals and creatures would be things, right?   They aren't "persons".

if they are intelligent, yes they are. Would you call a elf, centar, goblin, ect.. anything else but a person?

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

With those restrictions only a human being would be a person.  All other living things would have to be "things".  No other alternative.  You can argue all the more about what to do with those such as Hagrid and Fleur.

The original 20 questions had the categories of animal, vegetable or mineral.  Go figure.

Are we restricted to tangible things?

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Jules934 wrote:

With those restrictions only a human being would be a person.  All other living things would have to be "things".  No other alternative.  You can argue all the more about what to do with those such as Hagrid and Fleur.

The original 20 questions had the categories of animal, vegetable or mineral.  Go figure.

Are we restricted to tangible things?

(shaking head)  Thing is a book, rock, sword, ect.

If it lives it breathes, has a way of creating another generation, and creates waste. Basic science.

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

Elves, Centaurs, and Merpeople are classified by JKR as "beings", but they are not "persons", as that seems to connote human beings. Still, I get what you are saying about the classification of "thing" seeming to connote something that is not living.  It's a good thing I asked if this thing was living, wasn't it?  :smileyhappy:

Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

2. Yes, it is magical.

5. Yes, it is living.

13. No, it is not a Thestral.

14. No, it is not a merperson.

I figure if we get to 18 and none of you are even close, I'll give you a hint.

To contribute to this person/thing debate, according to Merriam Webster, a person is classified as one who "is recognized by law as the subject of rights and duties." A thing, however, is classified as   "an object or entity not precisely designated or capable of being designated." Therefore, since I cannot classify this monster/being/creature/plant within the given specifiations (whatever it may be, though obiously not a plant,) it is put under the subcategory of "thing."

☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

Inspired Bibliophile
Psychee
0 Kudos

15.  Does Harry encounter it in the fourth book?

16.  Does Harry encounter it in the seventh book?

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

17  Does JKR classify it as a being?

Aside -- why "obviously not a plant"?  I was about to go for the exhaulted Mimbulus Mimbletonia.

Correspondent
kellybeans
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

(deleted) Sorry I posted this without realizing my question was already answered.

"We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it. That's all."
-The Breakfast Club
Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

2. Yes, it is magical.

5. Yes, it is living.

13. No, it is not a Thestral.

14. No, it is not a merperson.

15. Yes, we encounter it in the fourth book.

16. No, we do not encounter it in the seventh book.

17. I'm not sure about JKR, but on HP-lexicon, it is NOT a being, so I'm gonna say no.

☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

Wordsmith
Kat-NE
0 Kudos

18. Is it a sphinx

Reader-Moderator
agnijay
0 Kudos

18. Yes, it is a sphinx. Your turn Kat-NE.

☼☺♥ Jaya ♥☺☼

Inspired Scribe
Jules934
0 Kudos

Argghhhhhhh! 

I never thought of them as creatures, just stone monuments that talked.

aginjay rules

Kat-NE, well played.